image_(resized).jpeg
elvira_guitar_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
DSCN4409_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
There are 843 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 17.
#651 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

The roads and infrastructure seem to be a lot better down here, some places we've been up north I've been worried the whole car would disappear down the potholes, they were so bad.
Come down for a visit!
rd

Few to no road deicing chemicals are used there. Also weight limits are lower on the highways. They are higher on the higher, even numbered interstates due to steel mills and other factories producing heavy stuff.

#652 8 years ago

I went to Dollywood when it first opened. There wasn't much to it back then, but I got to load my own musket and shoot it. Louder then a mofo, but cool as hell. You could also thow hatchets against a target. Do they atill have that or has Dollywood gone too corporate?

#653 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

It's pretty cool down here. Everyone is ultra polite, they open the doors for "ya all" and say hello to you in the street.

It's y'all. Not 'ya all'.
Hehehe I'm a spelling pest sometimes.

While driving yesterday there were some beautiful green areas and it felt a bit like home in a way. It was pretty, so the photo is more of a quick representation of what was actually there

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

It was also really hot yesterday. As a person who ONLY (kind of sarcasm, kind of true) lives in cold climates, I kind of died yesterday. But hopefully today will be as hot and then I can get a cool Sonic (not an official sponsor )

#654 8 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

I went to Dollywood when it first opened. There wasn't much to it back then, but I got to load my own musket and shoot it. Louder then a mofo, but cool as hell. You could also thow hatchets against a target. Do they atill have that or has Dollywood gone too corporate?

Can't say I saw that. But maybe they do a "frontier month" or something. They were doing some "nations of the world month" at the moment.

Talking of guns, I saw my first ever "open carry" guy in Pigeon Forge on the weekend. It was a little disturbing to be honest. Why someone needs to carry a gun around is a little bit beyond me I guess. We were walking behind him and he kept touching the gun all the time. When he walked into Walgreens, he pulled his t-shirt over it to hide it a bit. All seemed a bit "dick extension" to me.

rd

#655 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Talking of guns, I saw my first ever "open carry" guy in Pigeon Forge on the weekend. It was a little disturbing to be honest. Why someone needs to carry a gun around is a little bit beyond me I guess. We were walking behind him and he kept touching the gun all the time. When he walked into Walgreens, he pulled his t-shirt over it to hide it a bit. All seemed a bit "dick extension" to me.
rd

First rule of America: Don't try to apply logic to our policies

#656 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

The roads and infrastructure seem to be a lot better down here, some places we've been up north I've been worried the whole car would disappear down the potholes, they were so bad.

No snow, no freezing temps and no salt on the roads in the winter down there. Makes a huge difference on roads, bridges and cars.

#657 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Talking of guns, I saw my first ever "open carry" guy in Pigeon Forge on the weekend. It was a little disturbing to be honest.
rd

Have you seen the guy with the gun rack in his truck window with 2 shotguns yet? Usually has a pro gun bumper sticker as well. That was a eye opener when I was down there a few years back.

#658 8 years ago
Quoted from Danni_NZ:

It was also really hot yesterday.

If you think the TN area is hot now, never ever visit Florida. I know TN is hot and humid, but I swear I'd die if I lived in Florida. When we do a Disney run it's always in October or November, when it's "only" 95 degrees there. They are consistently 20 degrees higher than us at all times, and it's way too flat there so there's no shade to be found.

#659 8 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

If you think the TN area is hot now, never ever visit Florida. I know TN is hot and humid, but I swear I'd die if I lived in Florida. When we do a Disney run it's always in October or November, when it's "only" 95 degrees there. They are consistently 20 degrees higher than us at all times, and it's way too flat there so there's no shade to be found.

I was down there around 2000 ... Hot alright! Nowhere to hide from it either. Hot and sticky.

rd

#660 8 years ago

You guys are going to be true rednecks by the time you get back to NZ. As if two stops in Fullerton wasn't enough....

#661 8 years ago

Great reading all your postings on this recent trip,
but its about 400 posts shorter than the route 66 trip, last year.
Just one more detour (Elvisville) before you go home, have a safe trip.

#662 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Great reading all your postings on this recent trip,
but its about 400 posts shorter than the route 66 trip, last year.
Just one more detour (Elvisville) before you go home, have a safe trip.

Yep, the 2014 Route 66 trip was about 3x more miles too, I think we did 4000 miles on that one. I think we have done about 1500 on this one, I've been meaning to tally it up.

Elvis tomorrow!!

rd

#663 8 years ago

As per Mr Bally's suggestion earlier in the thread, tonight we went to Jim Neelys Interstate BBQ. Good wholesome BBQ food, not "out of this world WOW!" but a good meal. And cheap too, about $9 a plate for what you see. We got a plate of pork and a plate of beef, beer and soda and it was $22 all up.

rd

#664 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You guys are going to be true rednecks by the time you get back to NZ. As if two stops in Fullerton wasn't enough....

Two stops in Fullerton is more than enough.

#665 8 years ago

Memphis, Tennessee is very close to the Mississippi border. We are actually staying in Mississippi .. Cross another state off the "we've been there" list ...

Tonight Danni and I wanted to get some subway cookies ... It's a 10 minute walk away from the hotel, in a newish area with lots of restaurants, Walmart, big box retail. Much to my amazement there are no footpaths and no crosswalks! Clearly nobody ever walks here!

Evolution will take away their legs ...

rd

#666 8 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Two stops in Fullerton is more than enough.

Depends how much you've had to drink!

rd

#667 8 years ago

^^^666 post!
Nice job RD!
Up the Irons!!!

#668 8 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

^^^666 post!
Nice job RD!
Up the Irons!!!

\m/

Pukekohe represent!!

rd

#669 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Some other dude with a pink shirt and cowboy boots was stumbling around so much we followed him to see him fall over .. But amazingly he didn't and stumbled into another bar for more booze.

You shoulda followed me in!

#670 8 years ago
Quoted from Danni_NZ:

As a person who ONLY (kind of sarcasm, kind of true) lives in cold climates,

Is New Zealand colder than I imagined? Would there be a U.S. state equilavent?

#671 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Is New Zealand colder than I imagined? Would there be a U.S. state equilavent?

Danni is used to air conditioned climes.

Nimblepin says Auckland is similar to San Diego as far as climate goes. No snow. Temp range 10-30 degrees c. Average would be 18-22 I would guess.

rd

#672 8 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

You shoulda followed me in!

Nice one.

We drove past Franklin today.

rd

#673 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Nimblepin says Auckland is similar to San Diego as far as climate goes. No snow. Temp range 10-30 degrees c. Average would be 18-22 I would guess.
rd

I see.

I hate air conditioning mostly. I enjoy being outside a lot better if I'm not in it very much.

#674 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Nimblepin says Auckland is similar to San Diego as far as climate goes. No snow.

Around here we only need screen doors most of the year.

#675 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Around here we only need screen doors most of the year.

But they spend 1/3 of the year broken cause drunk dudes keep walking through them for no apparent reason ...

"Invisi-Screen"

rd

#676 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

"Invisi-Screen"

More like "Bogan Net."

Quoted from dmbjunky:

Would there be a U.S. state equilavent?

I can only speak of the North Island.
Think of it as a "flipped" California with Aukland as San Diego and Wellington being more like San Franscisco.
If you, or anyone else reading this thread ever gets the chance to visit this amazing place for the annual Pincade dmbjunky, I highly recommend it.
RD joked a few pages back that I wanted to build a small house next to his on their land in Pukekohe to start a homebrew pinball revolution...
I wasn't kidding.
It's that amazing in NZ.

#677 8 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

More like "Bogan Net."

Hmmmm ... And it works well.

It'd be a bit hit in the west of Sydney.

Probably NSFW ... But this is what the west of Sydney is like ...

rd

#678 8 years ago

In the good old days there was a plate glass sliding door beyond the infamous Bogan net, but that didn't last...

#679 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

But they spend 1/3 of the year broken cause drunk dudes keep walking through them for no apparent reason ...
"Invisi-Screen"
rd

I was at a party at my neighbor's house like 10 years ago, and there was a priest there because it was some religious thing or something (I don't remember exactly, too long ago). Anyways, point of the story, so the priest is walking outside and doesn't see the screen door there, so he just plows right through it, falling forward down the two steps and taking the screen down with him. He didn't get hurt, so it's all good. Honestly one of the funnier things I've seen, now I always think of that whenever I see a screen door.

#680 8 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Honestly one of the funnier things I've seen

RobbieT probably peed his shorts laughing at that infamous event.
Good thing he wasn't drinking milk or else O-Din's games would've been a bit "gamier" that night...

Poor Twister took the brunt of "Bogan Net 2014."

#681 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

rd

NOOOOOOOO I JUST DON'T LIKE THE SUN. I'M A VAMPIRE OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT

#682 8 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

RD joked a few pages back that I wanted to build a small house next to his on their land in Pukekohe to start a homebrew pinball revolution...
I wasn't kidding.
It's that amazing in NZ.

Aww thank you Nimble,

New Zealand thanks you for the compliment *heart*

#683 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Hmmmm ... And it works well.
It'd be a bit hit in the west of Sydney.
Probably NSFW ... But this is what the west of Sydney is like ...
rd
» YouTube video

Thank goodness I live in Queensland!

Quoted from blondetall:

Now I'm really worried. We just booked a holiday for 3 weeks in Florida from the 18th June to the 5th July - a little warm at that time?

Thanks for the US adventures. Make sure you get back for the Batcave!

#684 8 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Thank goodness I live in Queensland!

Now I'm really worried. We just booked a holiday for 3 weeks in Florida from the 18th June to the 5th July - a little warm at that time?
Thanks for the US adventures. Make sure you get back for the Batcave!

Probably looking at 35 Celsius during the day and the chance of a thunderstorm! The good thing is the storms typically last an hour or so and then it's sunny again! If you're doing the Disney/Universal trip they have every building air conditioned so you can seek refuge if it's too hot!

#685 8 years ago

Have you ever opened a car door in the summertime and got in it without rolling the windows down and turning the AC on first? It's kind of like that lol

#686 8 years ago
Quoted from Drewblood419:

Have you ever opened a car door in the summertime and got in it without rolling the windows down and turning the AC on first? It's kind of like that lol

Actually that is a perfect analogy!!!

#687 8 years ago

Except maybe also add a humidifier in the car...kind of like a tropical greenhouse.

The humidity is what makes it really miserable in the southeastern US, imo. Southwest is hot too, but still somehow preferable to me in the summer.

#688 8 years ago

Unfortunately, the King isn't in today ....

rd.

#689 8 years ago

Maybe he's busy taking a dump?

#690 8 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Maybe he's busy taking a dump?

Oooooooh too sooooooooon.

Just toured the mansion (bbbbooom Addams reference) and it was really cool. Cool pad. With pinball!

#691 8 years ago

Elvis bought that new. set it up himself and it's never been moved since from what I was told.

#692 8 years ago

RD does as he pleases.

rd

#693 8 years ago
Quoted from nman:

Except maybe also add a humidifier in the car...kind of like a tropical greenhouse.
The humidity is what makes it really miserable in the southeastern US, imo. Southwest is hot too, but still somehow preferable to me in the summer.

Humidity sucks. I can't tell a whole lot of difference between SW Mo and Florida in the summer other than we don't get the daily rain.

#694 8 years ago

You can buy these suits ... $2100 to $2600 bucks.

Perfect for NZs very own Elvis, Mr Wayne Anderson, the singer of songs.

However, they may need a little bit of errrrr adjustment in the stomach area for Wayne-o. :;

rd

#695 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

You can buy these suits ... $2100 to $2600 bucks.
Perfect for NZs very own Elvis, Mr Wayne Anderson, the singer of songs.
However, they may need a little bit of errrrr adjustment in the stomach area for Wayne-o. :;
rd

Singing through a Marshall half stack huh?

#696 8 years ago

Only the BEST for Wayne!

#697 8 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Singing through a Marshall half stack huh?

Yeah, that's at my apartment, Wayne's singing for our New Years Eve party. That's my Marshall DSL50 guitar amp, Wayne is such a "winner" he doesn't have any PA or even a microphone to use. So I set him up with some of my stuff. I made sure the distortion was down low ... Although the Celestion greenbacks in the 70s quad gave him a rough edge to his voice

rd

#698 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Yeah, that's at my apartment, Wayne's singing for our New Years Eve party. That's my Marshall DSL50 guitar amp, Wayne is such a "winner" he doesn't have any PA or even a microphone to use. So I set him up with some of my stuff. I made sure the distortion was down low ... Although the Celestion greenbacks in the 70s quad gave him a rough edge to his voice
rd

Greenbacks are da best!

#699 8 years ago

Graceland was really cool. We are not huge Elvis fans by any stretch, however we know his stuff and his history. We were there for 3.5 hours, plenty to see and do.

People have said his mansion was small ... I don't know what they were expecting, it was plenty big. You only get to see the ground floor and the basement on the tour, not upstairs. The property is 13 acres, they still run horses out the back.

The tour is very well done, they give you an iPad and headphones, and it gives you all the info and history as you go around. It was very well implemented.

We paid a little more (tickets were $45 each) and saw his car collection and custom planes as well.

Recommended!

rd

#700 8 years ago

But is he dead? I swear I saw him surfing yesterday!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

There are 843 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-rotordave-usa-travel-odyssey-thread/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.