image_(resized).jpeg
elvira_guitar_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
DSCN4409_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
There are 843 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 17.
#551 8 years ago

That looks like the shit! Surprised I haven't seen that episode before, I've seen most of them (I thought all of them but clearly not ...)

rd

#552 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Good drive ahead today ....

Stay on the Interstate through West Virginia or at least watch Deliverance so you know what to do in a worst case scenario.

#553 8 years ago

Zapcon 4 is this weekend in Arizona .....its a great event you should come .....

#554 8 years ago

You know you're at a truckers gas station when you can pick up a new CB! I sooooo wanted a CB when I was a kid ....

As seen at a Pilot centre in West Virginia.

rd

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#555 8 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Stay on the Interstate through West Virginia or at least watch Deliverance so you know what to do in a worst case scenario.

Smile and take it like a man?

Hahaha

rd

#556 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Smile and take it like a man?

I'm not sure that was the line.

#557 8 years ago

I'm always a bit worried when I go to those truck stop places that Sea Bass might make an appearance .....

rd

#558 8 years ago

When I was a kid my parents had a CBs in the cars and a base station at the house. Early cell phone driving.

#559 8 years ago

I bet you will see lots of "Faces of Meth" billboards and will be asked more than once"You ain't from around here are ya?"

#560 8 years ago

You know all the WV bashing isnt really founded in reality. The whole state isnt full of rednecks and assholes any more than the rest of North America.

The route you are taking is a beautiful drive in october when the leaves are changing colors etc.

Cheers!

#561 8 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

ou know all the WV bashing isnt really founded in reality. The whole state isnt full of rednecks and assholes any more than the rest of North America.
The route you are taking is a beautiful drive in october when the leaves are changing colors etc.
Cheers!

Lighten up! Simply lighthearted comments. On a serious note, while it can be beautiful, Southern West Virginia is a backwater of backwaters. The #1 industry is coal (there really isn't a #2) and coal is quite dead. Drug abuse is rampant. I don't know if you will see those Meth billboards in the north, but you sure as hell see them in the south. I last visited roughly 10 years ago and it is not the West Virginia of childhood memory that's for sure.

Back to lightheartedness, the further south you go , the better it gets.

#562 8 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

You are right, it was a pleasant drive through the country, leaves growing on trees (unlike Pittsburg which was barren) Interstate roads were good, easy 8 hour drive. Sat on 75-80 miles an hour the whole way.

We stopped for a Starbucks half way and the people there had a lovely twang to their accents... "That'll be three fouuuuuurty ninnnnnneeee" - cute!!

Highlight was passing the Richmond, Virginia off ramp and my iPhone played Lamb Of God (we are Lamb of God from Richmond Motherf****ng Virginia!) right on cue .... Nice.

rd

#563 8 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Lighten up! Simply lighthearted comments. On a serious note, while it can be beautiful, Southern West Virginia is a backwater of backwaters. The #1 industry is coal (there really isn't a #2) and coal is quite dead. Drug abuse is rampant. I don't know if you will see those Meth billboards in the north, but you sure as hell see them in the south. I last visited roughly 10 years ago and it is not the West Virginia of childhood memory that's for sure.
Back to lightheartedness, the further south you go , the better it gets.

Makes derogatory comments about WV, says lighten up...they're simply lighthearted comments, then proceeds to bash WV some more. Well played!!

#564 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

You are right, it was a pleasant drive through the country, leaves growing on trees (unlike Pittsburg which was barren) Interstate roads were good, easy 8 hour drive. Sat on 75-80 miles an hour the whole way.
We stopped for a Starbucks half way and the people there had a lovely twang to their accents... "That'll be three fouuuuuurty ninnnnnneeee" - cute!!
Highlight was passing the Richmond, Virginia off ramp and my iPhone played Lamb Of God (we are Lamb of God from Richmond Motherf****ng Virginia!) right on cue .... Nice.
rd

I made the trip from north central wv to knoxville in early spring a few years back for a business trip. It was pretty neat to see how much more spring like TN was in just a few hours drive. Just budding flowers here and full on blooming flowers and trees down there.

Enjoy some good food. I stopped at a famous daves down in Knoxville right off of I40 and it was really really good. Even though it is a chain place.

Cheers

#565 8 years ago

I moved down here to Knoxville from Portsmouth New Hampshire about six years ago I really like it a lot down here. Knoxville has a lot to offer and is pretty centrally located to a lot of other really cool areas like Asheville Nashville and Atlanta. Famous days is good and it's about three minutes from where I work but there is a lot of better places to go eat especially the local mom-and-pop barbecue joints and the ye old steakhouse with the giant steaks

#566 8 years ago

Had some good BBQ tonight at a place called Bennetts Pit BBQ on the parkway in Pigeon Forge. Nice smokey meats and nice local beer called ... I shit you not ... Yee Hawww!

There is a a huge Hot Rod rally here in Pigeon Forge this weekend, all the hotels are sold out and there are 100s of classic cars and rods cruising the parkway. Guys are sitting on the kurb on deck chairs watching them. We went out for a few hours and checked them out. Some stunning cars out there. I want an El Camino or a 60s truck like this red one. It was sweeeeeeet.

rd

#567 8 years ago

Welcome to the south

#568 8 years ago
Quoted from Drewblood419:

Welcome to the south

It's great to be here!

rd

#569 8 years ago

Love the toothpick. Spot on.

#570 8 years ago
Quoted from nman:

Love the toothpick. Spot on.

HAHAHA OML thank you, I thought that that really added to the whole picture's composition

Anyways, other than that I think I might go back and get one lovely vest for myself and one for my rock and roll father...

#571 8 years ago

You guys might need a passport to get back.

#572 8 years ago

Hope you have a great time at Dollywood today. Not sure if they ever got the new rollercoaster available yet...had some permit hold up or something. Drewblood told me you might be swinging through Knoxville tomorrow. I might be covered up in the afternoon as I might be heading to the University of TN Orange vs. White 'game'. It is an annual free game/situation-based scrimmage for the Vols. Pretty fun and is all free. Starts at 2PM and probably goes a couple of hours.

If you really want to kill the day, the Blue Angels are flying Saturday and Sunday but I think it is pretty much and possibly an all-day event. It is free except for parking. They are expecting some 400,000 people which is why I'm not going. I've seen them before and they are absolutely amazing. Just don't feel like killing my entire day to do it. You can Google more info by searching for 'Knoxville Air Show'.

If you have time we can either make up some ribs or I can smoke some pork on the Big Green Egg for Saturday evening. Happy to put you up for a night too if you need it. Just let me know.

Either way, I hope I get the chance to meet you guys tomorrow.

Darin

#573 8 years ago

Must have breakfast at a Waffle House while you're down there. At most exits on the main Interstate Highways.....

#574 8 years ago

Good call. Gotta get those hashbrowns covered, smothered, chunked, etc.

#575 8 years ago
Quoted from Danni_NZ:

HAHAHA OML thank you, I thought that that really added to the whole picture's composition
Anyways, other than that I think I might go back and get one lovely vest for myself and one for my rock and roll father...
image_(resized).jpeg

Well, that's a pretty sassy pose...

#576 8 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Must have breakfast at a Waffle House while you're down there. At most exits on the main Interstate Highways.....

Had some Waffle House on the Route 66 trip. Cheap! May well hit the place again this time ...

rd

#577 8 years ago

Screw the awful house, you need to hit up a Cracker Barrel.

#578 8 years ago
Quoted from HFK:

Screw the awful house, you need to hit up a Cracker Barrel.

Half of the fun of our USA trips is checking out tacky places, and Waffle House fits the bill there.

I don't think we could eat enough food to justify a trip to Cracker Barrel buffet, a couple of eggs and a couple of bits of bacon is enough for me.

rd

#579 8 years ago

A mom & pop place would be better, if there is one around.

#580 8 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

They are expecting some 400,000 people which is why I'm not going. I've seen them before and they are absolutely amazing. Just don't feel like killing my entire day to do it. You can Google more info by searching for 'Knoxville Air Show'.

400,000 people! That's like the whole population of New Zealand in one place at one time.

I saw them doing some flying over Chicago in 2006. We were at the Chicago Zoo and they started flying overhead. I have no idea what the Occassion was, we were checking out the Beavers (!!!) and next minute ZZZZZZEERMMMMMNNNNNNM over they go, and they proceeded to do a few stunts for 10 minutes. Very cool.

Look forward to catching up with the Knoxville Krew tomorrow.

rd

#581 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Had some Waffle House on the Route 66 trip. Cheap! May well hit the place again this time ...
rd

Now bonus points if you can find a Huddle House to eat at

The Waffle House cartel has nearly run them out of a lot of areas.

#582 8 years ago

Fiona has been waiting 20 years for this moment ....

rd

#583 8 years ago

Be sure to check out the Grafitti alley near Market Square in Knoxville....very cool place!

IMG951063_(resized).jpgIMG951063_(resized).jpg

IMG951054_(resized).jpgIMG951054_(resized).jpg

IMG951062_(resized).jpgIMG951062_(resized).jpg

#584 8 years ago

I am happy that you are having a wonderful time, and I feel bad that I was so wrapped up with the competitions to have more than ten seconds of conversations this week. I hope the rest of your trip is amazing and look forward to seeing you next- whereever that may be!

#585 8 years ago

What's the best thing you can see at an Amusement park?

This sign ....

rd

#586 8 years ago

Have fun in Dollywood! My sister just came back today from a week long trip up there, and I'm supposed to go pick up my taffy from her tomorrow. I live two hours away and haven't been to Dollywood in over 20 years, so I need to get back up there. I'm not a fan of coasters though, and usually just go hang out with the horses at the Stampede or the ducks along the river banks.

Something freaky has been going on in Gatlinburg the last two weeks, so I hope it's all cleared out for you. The Ruby Tuesdays burnt to the ground, a helicopter tour crashed and killed 5 people, two people were found dead in a hot tub in a cabin, and on Monday someone jumped to their death from the Space Needle and hit the sidewalk on the main strip in front of hundreds of tourists.

#587 8 years ago

Drewblood pm'd me - "I suggest buying a loaf or 2 of the cinnamon bread at the park it is the most amazing thing you will eat there"

So we did. And indeed, it was nice! Freshly made too.

rd

#588 8 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

Something freaky has been going on in Gatlinburg the last two weeks, so I hope it's all cleared out for you

Sounds like fun times in Gatlinburg!

We are heading there tomorrow morning for a look see. Maybe I will keep away from helicopters ...

rd

#589 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Drewblood pm'd me - "I suggest buying a loaf or 2 of the cinnamon bread at the park it is the most amazing thing you will eat there"
So we did. And indeed, it was nice! Freshly made too.
rd

Man that cinnamon bread is so good

#590 8 years ago

There is no way you'd want to use this "glory hole" .....

rd

#591 8 years ago

Super thread Dave

#592 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Half of the fun of our USA trips is checking out tacky places, and Waffle House fits the bill there.
I don't think we could eat enough food to justify a trip to Cracker Barrel buffet, a couple of eggs and a couple of bits of bacon is enough for me.
rd

Cracker Barrel isn't a buffet, at least none of the ones I have been to are. They are really tacky though and have lots of crap. Another good breakfast type/diner place is Bob Evans if you see one.

#593 8 years ago
Quoted from HFK:

Cracker Barrel isn't a buffet, at least none of the ones I have been to are. They are really tacky though and have lots of crap. Another good breakfast type/diner place is Bob Evans if you see one.

Yep, been to Bob Evans. Good fare, cheap prices.

I thought Cracker Barrel was a buffet, my mistake. I haven't been there.

rd

#594 8 years ago

Breakfast is my favorite meal at Cracker Barrel. The nice thing is you can order something simple and small or you can go full Country Boy and that will probably be your last meal of the day ;-D

#595 8 years ago

Another Hard Rock glass for Fiona's Bogan Wall of Shame. (TM)

Bogans = australasian rednecks

Bogans tend to collect empty Jack Daniels bottles as proof of their bogan-ness. We collect HRC glasses from the cities we visit around the world. So far we have around 70 ...

rd

#596 8 years ago

The rental car is looking a bit worse for wear.

It's a VW Jetta. Basically a pretty crappy car. It's a conveyence, that's about it. It gets good gas mileage, that's a good thing. The front suspension shudders sometimes at 70-80 miles an hour.

The Chrysler 200 we drove from LAX to Las Vegas was like a Rolls Royce compared to this thing.

rd

#597 8 years ago

For those who probably don't wonder why I am not usually wearing my handy dandy glasses...

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

Has anyone else with glasses just had one of the arms... Just kind of come off? No more pinball for me now. I can't see

#598 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

The rental car is looking a bit worse for wear.
It's a VW Jetta. Basically a pretty crappy car. It's a conveyence, that's about it. It gets good gas mileage, that's a good thing. The front suspension shudders sometimes at 70-80 miles an hour.
The Chrysler 200 we drove from LAX to Las Vegas was like a Rolls Royce compared to this thing.
rd

image_(resized).jpeg

VW rental? Don't see those that often. Call your rental place and if there is a one nearby they could allow you to swap.

#599 8 years ago
Quoted from Danni_NZ:

For those who probably don't wonder why I am not usually wearing my handy dandy glasses...
image_(resized).jpg
Has anyone else with glasses just had one of the arms... Just kind of come off? No more pinball for me now. I can't see

good thing you guys are headed to Darin's tomorrow he's an Ophthalmologist. And it looks like I'll be able to make it over there after all for a bit tomorrow night Although we might stand a chance playing against you without your glasses

#600 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Bogans tend to collect empty Jack Daniels bottles as proof of their bogan-ness.

I could have built a bogan house of bottles like that one at Knotts if I'd saved all mine. So how were the rides at Dollywood? I'll get there someday.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 843 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-rotordave-usa-travel-odyssey-thread/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.