Topic Stats

• 843 posts
  • 129 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by freezie
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 427 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpeg
multi-highkicks_(resized).jpg
highkickinthenuts_(resized).jpg
beverly_(resized).jpg
download_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
elvira_guitar_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
DSCN4409_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

There are 843 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 17.
#451 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

No pinball without electricity though. Maybe the '20's & early '30's stuff....

We've got Mary Ann to pedal the generator.

#452 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

No pinball without electricity though.

That's what generators are for

#453 3 years ago
Quoted from str8cash:

That's what generators are for

Not exactly allowed in certain sects. Wild to see candlelight only and no wiring. Guess they're not paying monthly fees for internet either.

#454 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

No pinball without electricity though. Maybe the '20's & early '30's stuff....

When we were taking that intercourse photo (that sounds wrong ..) there were two Amish girls next to us talking on cell phones. So maybe some aren't as "disconnected"' as we may think.

Same with the Bretherens we have back in NZ. 10 years ago, they had no computers, no fax, only a phone. Then they got faxes. I was in one of their businesses a few months back, now they have fibre optic Internet, websites, the works.

Everything is flexible.

What else was funny is that while we were there, we all referred to each other as "brother Munson" all the time. That shit doesn't get old.

rd

image_(resized).jpeg

#455 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

It's funny when we go out to eat ... We order 3 small meals (usually salads or starters) and the server is like "what do you want for entrees?" And we say "ummm that's all ..." And it freaks them out totally haha
rd

I once ordered 2 slices of buttered toast at a Denny's in Texas to put my Vegemite on. The server was fairly confused that that was all I wanted.

#456 3 years ago
Quoted from blue95:

I once ordered 2 slices of buttered toast at a Denny's in Texas to put my Vegemite on. The server was fairly confused that that was all I wanted.

At Denny's it's probably safe to say most servers are confused before you place your order!

#457 3 years ago

Amish rules vary by church within the community. Some are more conservative, some more liberal. Here a lot of churches have converted to battery power charged by solar panel. So they use floor lamps which are big boxes on wheels that have a car battery inside. That powers a LED bulb that will light up the main room for the whole family.

They also use big batteries, like 800 amp hours, to run refridgerators, freezers, and clothes washers. They've just recently started using bicycles to get around more. A lot of businesses own cell phones.

Change happens within the amish. They are just more cautious about it, which isn't a bad thing.

#458 3 years ago

You don't see news reports about Amish fatalities due to texting.

#460 3 years ago

Drove 200 odd miles out to Pittburgh today. Went most of the way on the toll road, about $25 worth to go the distance.

They had a series of very impressive tunnels through the hills.

rd

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#461 3 years ago

On the way, we saw a sign for the Flight 93 Memorial so we went for a 40 minute (each way) detour. We drove through some very cool old townships dating back to 1770.

And saw covered bridges like this one, from 1880.

rd

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#462 3 years ago

Run Dave, RUUUUUUUNNN!

image_(resized).jpeg

#463 3 years ago

Nobody does a Memorial like America. They know how to do it right.

Where Flight 93 crashed (on sept 11) they have a 1000 acre site. There is a huge visitor centre, all architecturally designed and made from thick wood-cast concrete, a concrete learning centre, a walk down to the site itself, another memorial down there, etc etc.

Inside the visitor centre, there is a full history of what went on on that fateful day. It's quite somber, as you'd expect.

Outside, The black granite path follows the flight path of the plane out to an elevated viewing platform.

(You can still see the snow on the ground in the pics, even though it was about 1.30pm)

rd

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

#464 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I hope you honked the horn cause that's a thing.

Quoted from rotordave:

We drove through some very cool old townships dating back to 1770.
And saw covered bridges like this one, from 1880.

I guess I don't know much history of New Zealand. Are there some old places like that there?

#465 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

guess I don't know much history of New Zealand. Are there some old places like that there?

The Maori people rowed there around 1300 (from Hawaii they reckon) James Cook arrived in 1769, British Colonisation was 1840. So in some spots there are some old buildings, but we like to knock old stuff down and build ugly new stuff there instead. It's how we roll.

We don't have any full towns that are like this stuff in America. Only bits here and there. And of course, you go to Europe or Japan or China, and they have buildings that are 1000 years old so that blows us all away ...

rd

#466 3 years ago

Love your USA travels, RD and family. Fantastic stuff, and some of the best high kicks on Pinside. One day I hope to see NZ, as my exposure is limited to Peter Jackson movies and Cloud Atlas.

#467 3 years ago

Sad to say ... Dave has seen more of PA then I have and I live in the bloody state!!!

BTW you will have at least two more tunnels on your journey to PAPA!!! You will know when you're 4 miles (6.4km) from the Squirrel Hill Tunnel, yes Dani more squirrels, as you will be saying "why the F is traffic stopped, I dont get it"!!!!

#468 3 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Love your USA travels, RD and family. Fantastic stuff, and some of the best high kicks on Pinside. One day I hope to see NZ, as my exposure is limited to Peter Jackson movies and Cloud Atlas.

It's all about the high kicks.

What's Cloud Atlas?

Most people say LOTR and Zena. You do get the occasional person who says Once were Warriors or Split Enz. And sometimes Crowded House.

Actually on this trip, there has been NZ music everywhere we have gone. Got off the plane in NYC, "how bizarre" was playing. In Vegas airport, Gin Wigmore was playing. Heard Lorde of course, and some other kiwi stuff too. Nice one.

rd

#469 3 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Sad to say ... Dave has seen more of PA then I have and I live in the bloody state!!!

You get a bit of that.

Quoted from meSz:

BTW you will have at least two more tunnels on your journey to PAPA!!! You will know when you're 4 miles (6.4km) from the Squirrel Hill Tunnel, yes Dani more squirrels, as you will be saying "why the F is traffic stopped, I dont get it"!!!!

Yes, we went through there, I remembered it from when we were last here in 2006.

This place is very hilly, with narrow roads, very similar to Wellington back in NZ.

rd

#470 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

It's all about the high kicks.
What's Cloud Atlas?

Tbh you don't see that level of high kicks nowadays. Nice job documenting! I imagine the timing was tricky.

Cloud Atlas is a pretty strange David Mitchell novel. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_Atlas_(novel)
It has Maori. There was also a movie but I haven't seen it yet.

#471 3 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Cloud Atlas is a pretty strange David Mitchell novel

Well, there you go. Hadn't heard of that.

I worked out the other day that the last Fiction book I read was "To Kill a Mockingbird" in 4th form in high school (around 13 years old?) ... It's been all biographies and facts since then. Strange, as I used to read fiction exclusively before that. Maybe that book killed it for me, it was pretty f***ing boring.

rd

#472 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Amish rules vary by church within the community. Some are more conservative, some more liberal. Here a lot of churches have converted to battery power charged by solar panel. So they use floor lamps which are big boxes on wheels that have a car battery inside. That powers a LED bulb that will light up the main room for the whole family.
They also use big batteries, like 800 amp hours, to run refridgerators, freezers, and clothes washers. They've just recently started using bicycles to get around more. A lot of businesses own cell phones.
Change happens within the amish. They are just more cautious about it, which isn't a bad thing.

My family owned a dairy farm in WI, so I got to know a few Amish families very well. They are just people, some are very friendly and outgoing, others not so. A few of them refer to us as "English", and say it with a bit of venom. Those are the ones who will not take coins out of your hand, they make you drop the coins into their palm.

If you ever get a chance to see one of their workshops, you must. One of my dad's friends have 10 woodworking tools all running on a single belt pulley from a tractor outside. It was amazing to see how he built this elaborate contraption of a single belt running all of these machines. Not exactly OSHA approved I"m sure.....

#473 3 years ago

I had wondered why I couldn't get beer at any markets around Pennsylvania. So I went to a beer shop and the guy told me that last year they made a law that you can only sell beer 1 dozen minimum ... And it has to be packaged that way (ie they can't open a 24 pack and sell you 12, you have to buy 24). Interesting!!

Fiona wanted one beer (she's gluten free) so now I am the proud owner of 24x New Grist Gluten Free Pilsners! Luckily, it's not a bad beer at all, so I can drink most of them.

It comes from up Whysnows way. You tried this one Snowman? You tried it Aurich?

rd

image_(resized).jpeg

#474 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Drove 200 odd miles out to Pittburgh today. Went most of the way on the toll road, about $25 worth to go the distance.
rd

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

There are three abandoned tunnels on the Pennsylvania Turnpike (America's first Superhighway) . You can walk or bike through two of them. The third can be accessed by car to view each covered portal when traveling Eastbound only.

Google Abandoned Pennsylvania Turnpike or PA Pike to Bike.

Quite a bit of history with the road. All tunnels were single tubes and doubled in the mid-late '60's which is when three were bypassed. The bypass of Ray's Hill and Sideling hill was a major reroute and redesign of the Breezewood interchange. It also explains the odd interchange with I-70 there that I never understood when I started driving the turnpike in 1980.

You can save over 10.00 on an end-to-end drive with a transponder instead of using cash. Cash customers pay for the toll attendants.

#475 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

u can save over 10.00 on an end-to-end drive with a transponder instead of using cash. Cash customers pay for the toll attendants

All interesting!

If I lived here I'd have a toll transponder for sure. But I'll be out of this state in a week.

rd

#476 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Fiona wanted one beer (she's gluten free) so now I am the proud owner of 24x New Grist Gluten Free Pilsners! Luckily, it's not a bad beer at all, so I can drink most of them.

It comes from up Whysnows way. You tried this one Snowman?

yeah, it is pretty much the budwieser of gluten free beer. Readily available but not one that I or my wife would drink on a regular basis.

here is the place we have 5 pins (soon to be 7 orand they are also pretty much the best gluten free beer anywhere.

http://www.altbrew.com/home.html

#477 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

yeah, it is pretty much the budwieser of gluten free beer. Readily available but not one that I or my wife would drink on a regular basis.
here is the place we have 5 pins (soon to be 7 or and they are also pretty much the best gluten free beer anywhere.
http://www.altbrew.com/home.html

I knew you'd mentioned that place. Unfortunately it is UNOBTAINIUM over this side of the country. There are very slim pickings, Redbridge or this one. If you're lucky. I couldn't find any GF beer in NYC markets at all.

rd

#478 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

My family owned a dairy farm in WI, so I got to know a few Amish families very well. They are just people, some are very friendly and outgoing, others not so. A few of them refer to us as "English", and say it with a bit of venom. Those are the ones who will not take coins out of your hand, they make you drop the coins into their palm.
If you ever get a chance to see one of their workshops, you must. One of my dad's friends have 10 woodworking tools all running on a single belt pulley from a tractor outside. It was amazing to see how he built this elaborate contraption of a single belt running all of these machines. Not exactly OSHA approved I"m sure.....

I'll tell you a little secret. I was Amish for seven years and still work for an Amish cabinet shop.

Even they will tell you they aren't perfect and there are some that are good and some that are bad.

#479 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I had wondered why I couldn't get beer at any markets around Pennsylvania.

Actually you can go to a bar/pub and buy beer by the 6 pack .... unfortunately if you go to a beer distributor they can only sell you a case. There are a lot of smaller beer stores throughout the State where you can go by single bottles and six packs! About 30 minutes North of PAPA is a place called House of a 1000 Beers (name says it all) that you can buy single bottles and also make up a 6 pack of different beers!

There are a lot of places in Pittsburgh like House of 1000 Beers on a smaller scale .... just don't go to a beer distributor as, again, they can only sell by the case (12 pack or more).

Lastly, tell Fiona to try, if she hasn't already, beers from Green's Brewery! They make some good Gluten Free beers!

#480 3 years ago

rd
Welcome back to the burg!

#481 3 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

There are a lot of places in Pittsburgh like House of 1000 Beers on a smaller scale .... just don't go to a beer distributor as, again, they can only sell by the case (12 pack or more).

Interesting. How come supermarkets and Walmarts don't sell beer here? Too much hassle?

rd

#482 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Interesting. How come supermarkets and Walmarts don't sell beer here? Too much hassle?
rd

Yes, and the laws are different in each state so the chain has to keep up with that. Like in New Hampshire the State runs the liquor stores. In Connecticut first you need a liquor license and all of the issues that comes with insurance. Then you need check out people either old enough to sell it to you or a head cashier has to be called over to type in a code allowing the sale, this slows things down.

Lots of hassles.

#483 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I knew you'd mentioned that place. Unfortunately it is UNOBTAINIUM over this side of the country. There are very slim pickings, Redbridge or this one. If you're lucky. I couldn't find any GF beer in NYC markets at all.
rd

yeah that is how most of the US is but that is changing. I am fortunate to live in Madison where we have amazing local options for beer, even GF beer!

beware that many of the "gluten free" beer is not really gluten free and will test positive above the PPM thrshold.

That is something that si so cool about alt brew. They only make 100% gluten free beer in 100% gluten free quipment and only serve this through their tap lines. No chance of cross contamination and no reliance on the ommision yeast to do the work or "remove" gluten (what a crock of shit). Not to mention the ommision yeast has a real distinct flavor profile which is nasty.

A big part fo the reason we took on another pinball location and I am happy to support Alt Brew is because they are the real deal. I obviously have a personal interest since Heidi is GF/celiac, but sure is nice to have already built such a great relationship with them. Also really cool to see many of the pinheads seems to really liek the beer (most dont even realize it is gluten free).

#484 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

rd

Organized Crime....

#485 3 years ago

how much longer are you stateside Dave? I could ship you a bomber or 2 of the Alt Brew stuff if you are around for a bit and have a spot I can mail it to?

#486 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Also really cool to see many of the pinheads seems to really liek the beer (most dont even realize it is gluten free).

At home, all of the meals we eat are gluten free. You'd never know that it was.

Because Fiona has to be gluten free, we rarely eat bread or stuff like that. Occasionally we will get some, you can get some good fresh gluten free stuff in NZ. It tends to be non mass market processed crap too, so it's good for everyone.

Quoted from mcluvin:

Organized Crime....

Is that still happening today? Are Big Pussy and Pauly Walnuts coming around every Friday for a slice of the action?

rd

#487 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

how much longer are you stateside Dave? I could ship you a bomber or 2 of the Alt Brew stuff if you are around for a bit and have a spot I can mail it to?

That's a kind offer ... We are staying at this hotel in Pittsburgh for 9 days I think. Leave here on the 14th.

rd

#488 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

That's a kind offer ... We are staying at this hotel in Pittsburgh for 9 days I think. Leave here on the 14th.
rd

probably a bit tight. Ealriest I would be able to ship woudl be MOnday since I am booked w/ MGC stuff starting today.

That means next year you need to come back stateside to see what MGC is all about!

#489 3 years ago

Dave, if you are still headed to Dollywood after papa you're more than welcome to have whysnow ship the GF beer to me here in Knoxville TN and pick it up when you get down this way. I'm only about 40 minutes west of Dollywood. Between MT45, volunteerpin and I there is plenty of great pins to play for free in a 10 minute radius (there's also a really great GF bakery right up the road)

#490 3 years ago
Quoted from Drewblood419:

I'm only about 40 minutes west of Dollywood. Between MT45, volunteerpin and I there is plenty of great pins to play for free in a 10 minute radius

Yep, that's rhe plan, all depends on timing out of Pittsburgh.

Snowman, I'll take you up on the beer next time I'm up that way. Or at Texas Pinball next year!

rd

#491 3 years ago

So I arrived at PAPA HQ for the first time this morning.

Looks like a dump from the outside to be fair.

Inside looks a bit better.

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#492 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

So I arrived at PAPA HQ for the first time this morning.
Looks like a dump from the outside to be fair.
Inside looks a bit better.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

Looks like your place Dave.

The inside, not the outside.

#493 3 years ago

In the PAPA carpark, this building has For Sale signs on it.

I'm pretty good with renovating commercial buildings (that's what I do...) but I don't think my magic wand would work on this one ....

rd

image_(resized).jpeg

#494 3 years ago
Quoted from pauloz:

Looks like your place Dave.
The inside, not the outside.

Yeah, it does a bit. But about 10x bigger. That photo is the "free play" side, it's about half the building. More free play games and the Comp games are on the other side.

rd

#495 3 years ago

At PAPA, we registered for PAPA which is tomorrow. We caught up with some friends from Australia, Germany, Finland and of course the USA.

Then we went off for a "random drive" around Pittsburgh. Head to one spot, then point the car in one direction and just keep driving and see what there is to see. Great way to see the "real" sights.

So we headed to the Dequesne Incline. Built around 1877. 30 degree angle up the top.

The rude old lady who worked in the bottom station had probably been there since 1877, that's why she was pissed off at the world. Haha.

rd

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#496 3 years ago

Then we went on a drive. Headed out through South Side Flats. An unusual mix of trendy bars and derelict buildings. There'd be a few trendy hipster sort of bars, then a few shops all boarded up. Weird.

When we got a bit further out, it looked like a poorer neighbourhood. Heaps of derelict and abandoned buildings, all just sitting there forgotten about.

The houses here are mostly similar, very narrow and 2 story. Some are 3 story, but still about the same width. Everywhere you go, the roads are pretty bad. If I had my RX7 here the suspension would have snapped by now.

Eventually we turned around and went downtown, lots of nice shiny buildings down there.

rd

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#497 3 years ago
#498 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

The rude old lady who worked in the bottom station had probably been there since 1877, that's why she was pissed off at the world. Haha.

Pics of the old lady or it never happened!

#499 3 years ago
Quoted from blue95:

#500 3 years ago

I try and go into restaurants and order just one rib.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 62.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 21.00
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
There are 843 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 17.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside