image_(resized).jpeg
elvira_guitar_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
DSCN4409_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
There are 843 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 17.
#1 8 years ago

Righty ho!

Only a few hours after having 100 punters at my house for Kiwi Pincade, we are sitting at Auckland airport, Corona in hand, to head to the USA again. Why you ask?

Danni_nz is playing in the Woman's World Pinball Champs in Las Vegas on Thursday. She is 13 years old and currently the 8th ranked woman player in the world. The top 16 are competing in Vegas for the world title!

Of course, RD being RD, we couldn't keep it simple. That would be too ... Simple. So we came up with this schedule.

1. Los Angeles to meet up with Nimblenuts and Crazy ODIN
2. Las Vegas for Woman's Champs and also Pinmasters (it should be PinChumps if I'm in it...)
3. Over to NYC for 10 days to see the city again ... Only been there once before.
4. Hersey Park for some coaster action
5. PAPA for the first time, so Danni can play in the juniors
6. IFPA World champs, Danni and I are representing New Zealand as the NZ 1st and 2nd ranked players
7. Dollywood!!
8. Nashville
9. Memphis to see the King! He may not be in.

So that's it! Some east coast action this time.

No hearse this time ... Only a stink rental car. Maybe if I see something cool I may buy it. El Camino baby!

(If you haven't read the Hearse thread ... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rotordaves-route-66-odessy-is-underway)

So Danni and I will be updating this as we travel across the USA and giving our unique kiwi perspective on all things bright and beautiful in the US of A.

rd

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#3 8 years ago

Right on! Looking forward to reading this thread, maybe getting some LA/RD time. And how's a 1964 Ford Falcon Futura convertible sound to you?? I know of one

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

Right on! Looking forward to reading this thread, maybe getting some LA/RD time. And how's a 1964 Ford Falcon Futura convertible sound to you?? I know of one

Oooooh! I'm not really the convertible type, but I know someone who'd probably be into that ... Email me some details.

rd

#5 8 years ago

Cleared for takeoff!

clearedfortakeoff.jpgclearedfortakeoff.jpg

#6 8 years ago

Freaking awesome! Congrats!!

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Cleared for takeoff!

clearedfortakeoff.jpg

Is that you Nimble?

rd

#8 8 years ago

Gotta pay for Ghostbusters somehow...

#9 8 years ago

see you in Vegas - I once met this guy Jonah Lomu with some Kiwis. I had no idea who he was but learned later how legendary a Rugby player he was. I am sure you all are the Jonah Lomus of Kiwi pinball!

#10 8 years ago

Good times.

#11 8 years ago

Safe travels RD! Good luck Danni!

#12 8 years ago

I like how #7 is the only one with exclamation points. Safe Travels!

#13 8 years ago

Dude I'm in Knoxville which is about an hour to Dollywood. I would love to host you for a night with a nice home cooked meal if you'd like. Let me know if that could work in your schedule. Shoot me a pm.

#14 8 years ago

Too bad you aren't making it a little more south.

#15 8 years ago

Awesome!

We will see you guys Thursday!

#16 8 years ago

have fun RD and fam! Wish you were midwest bound for the debauchery of MGC (early April)

#17 8 years ago

Safe travels Dave.

On the coasters side, don't forget that we do have an off-season due to weather, so many amusement parks in the northern regions (like the aforementioned Hersheypark) shut down for a while. I highly recommend checking websites for operating calendars before you plan a visit.

Later,
EV

#18 8 years ago

I love how you go all out Dave. My odyssey is like Friday, Sydney-Dallas, TPF, Sunday, Dallas-Sydney. You do it right! Safe travels!

#19 8 years ago

Dave make sure you hit rendezvous restaurant in Memphis it has the best ribs you will ever taste it's a must more in important than Graceland

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

Safe travels Dave.
On the coasters side, don't forget that we do have an off-season due to weather, so many amusement parks in the northern regions (like the aforementioned Hersheypark) shut down for a while. I highly recommend checking websites for operating calendars before you plan a visit.
Later,
EV

Wally-World-Moose-Punch_(resized).jpgWally-World-Moose-Punch_(resized).jpg

#21 8 years ago

Good one SideTrackTap. You beat me too it.

Let us know RD if you will make it down south at all. Several of us down here in Louisiana will help find fun things for you both to do.

#22 8 years ago

Good Luck Danni !

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

No hearse this time ... Only a stink rental car. Maybe if I see something cool I may buy it. El Camino baby!

You gotta pick up a nice/fun car for this trip . The hearse pin-hauler was great!

#24 8 years ago

See you at PAPA!

#25 8 years ago

Safe travels Dave.

#26 8 years ago

Hersheypark open 4/2, 4/3, 4/9, and 4/10. Regular weekend ops start 4/29. Daily ops start 5/26.

Dollywood daily ops start on 3/19, but closed most Tuesdays until 5/24.

Another suggestion while around NYC would be to hit up Six Flags Great Adventure. Huge coaster selection (13), including the world's tallest, Kingda Ka. Daily ops for Spring Break between 3/23 and 4/3.

Good luck!

Later,
EV

#27 8 years ago

Safe travels and good luck mini RD !

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Too bad you aren't making it a little more south

I agree 100%.... NYC is awesome...I spent half of my youth in Brighton Beach, and Coney Island. However, I would not consider that a real representation of the "East Coast". You should spend 5 days in NYC, and 5 days traveling down the Coast. And when you get to Virginia Beach PM me. You and Danni can stop by to shoot guns, ride horses, and play in my western jailhouse arcade.

DSCF2871_(resized).JPGDSCF2871_(resized).JPG

#29 8 years ago

Sounds like a great trip.

Hershey park is awesome. Go any day besides Saturday and you won't have trouble with lines.

Sneak out the back (the zoo) and walk 2 minutes to the parkside hotel bar for lunch and drinks. ( you can re-enter at the same spot)

#30 8 years ago

Just landed at LAX! Got my bargain basement Firefly rental car (like $130 USD for a week!) and he offered me an upgrade to a new midsize for $10 a day or this new Camaro convertible for $20 a day. Of course I said GIVE ME THE CAMARO!! but unfortunately it needed work and wasn't ready to go out. Bummer. So I got a Chrysler 200 instead for $10 more a day.

Thanks to everyone for the tips above!

- EV: yep, going to schedule we will be at Hersey Park on 2nd April.
- that BBQ place in Memphis sound like the shizz... We will go check it out! I'm right into bbq...
- the time between IFPA and Memphis is a bit rushed so I don't know what else we will be able to fit in. Dollywood, Nashville and Memphis are all going to be whistle stoppers ...I think we have a week to do everything.

All good guys! I am about to head off to NimbleNuts and Odins so maybe they might let me take pictures of them this time.

rd

#31 8 years ago

Dude! How can you fly all the way over to the US, be here while the Texas Pinball Festival is going on, and not make it to the show???? Crazy!! Try to have fun anyway.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

Dude! How can you fly all the way over to the US, be here while the Texas Pinball Festival is going on, and not make it to the show???? Crazy!

I know Rob! Texas is the same weekend as the Woman's World Champs and Pinmasters in Las Vegas. So as much as I'm wanting to get to Texas, I can't be in two places at once ...

Next year we will go to the Texas pinball fest, followed by a drive around the whole state. That's the plan anyway ....

rd

#33 8 years ago

Sounds like a great trip RD. I might even see you at PAPA (is that really in only 3 weeks?).

It's been a long time since I went to Dollywood but it's a great place. Another theme park that's great bang for the buck is Holiday World in Santa Claus, IN. The ticket prices are cheaper than most theme parks and free Pepsi soft drinks, the BEST water park anywhere, and some great roller coasters.

Have a good time and be safe.

#34 8 years ago

Charlie-Vergos-Rendezvous is delicious and well worth the stop.
Sun Studios is a must. Birthplace of Rock&Roll! Small place with a short but very fun and informative tour.
Hersheypark is great as well.

Have fun!

#35 8 years ago

Sweet! cant wait to see the updates. One day you will have to come further north!

#36 8 years ago

If you have time when you are in the Nashville area you should check out my cousins' brewery . It's a small brewery in a small town about an hour east of Nashville and the beer is Awesome . A number of places in Nashville carry their beer their beer on tap also .
http://www.calfkillerbeer.com/

#37 8 years ago

You going to play PAPA, RD?

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from Excalabur:

You going to play PAPA, RD?

Yeah, had to play at PAPA once. Danni will play in the Juniors as well.

rd

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Yeah, had to play at PAPA once. Danni will play in the Juniors as well.

She might as well play the main event, too, if she's keen. She wouldn't be the first Juniors player to compete in it. (She's restricted to B and above, looks like..)

Good luck to you both in all your stops!

#40 8 years ago

Since you will be in Pittsburgh for PAPA, may I recommend Kennywood if you are looking for some coaster action? Three of the best wooden coasters in the world...Racers, The Jack Rabbit, and Thunderbolt! Very close to PAPA HQ!

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Since you will be in Pittsburgh for PAPA, may I recommend Kennywood if you are looking for some coaster action? Three of the best wooden coasters in the world...Racers, The Jack Rabbit, and Thunderbolt! Very close to PAPA HQ!

Been there back in 2006 .. Great place! However it's not open when we are there this time which is a great bummer.

rd

#42 8 years ago

Caught up with some old Pinside buddies tonight.

Nimblepin, Rob T and ODIN.

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I love how you go all out Dave. My odyssey is like Friday, Sydney-Dallas, TPF, Sunday, Dallas-Sydney.

You're f**kin insane!

rd

#44 8 years ago

Good luck to Danni in the Women's World Champs !!

Have fun Dave , Danni , and Fiona . Hearse thread brings back some memories for sure .

#45 8 years ago

Cool, have a good trip and look forward to enjoying your trip via the thread, good luck for the comps...

#46 8 years ago

Go to DOLLYWOOD, that have a new coaster opening soon called LIGHTNING ROD!

opening while you are there. I love rollercoasters. wooooooaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!

#47 8 years ago

Good Luck Danni - you are part of the future of pinball. It was a pleasure playing with you on the weekend - and to the whole RD family, thanks again for opening your home to us all. Best 4 days of the year. Have fun over there!

#48 8 years ago

If you have a little extra time when you are in PA, and want to play some more pinball, stop at the Pinball Gallery (http://www.pinballgallery.net/) in Malvern. Great place to play a bunch of games, and they just got a Hobbit!

#49 8 years ago

Yo man...Quiddity and I are going to be in Vegas all weekend, and I'll be at PHOF on Thursday for SCS Nationals. If you want to meet up, give me a holler and I'll shoot you my cell phone number.

#50 8 years ago

Sounds like a great trip. You are welcome to stop by for some pinball when you are in Nashville.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 843 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-rotordave-usa-travel-odyssey-thread and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.