• 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by ForceFlow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

partout.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider too-many-pins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 8 years ago

I part out between 35 and 50 machines a year but I would never part machines out that could be saved. I have what I call the two out of three rule. I see a pinball machine as three major parts: backglass, playfield & cabinet. For me to part a machine out two out of the three need to be beyond being able to be used. ALL machines are worth more in parts but I could never part a machine out that was worth saving.

About 3 years ago I realized I just had too many so-so machines sitting around so I offered them for sale. Once all the better stuff sold I started trying to figure out what to do with the rest. And that was when I realized machine with two out of three bad are never going to sell. So I decided to help other machine live on by making "junk" into parts.

After I had been at it for a while local pinball guys started contacting me with their "junk" - partway striped playfields, nasty machines that had been sitting outside or in barns, etc. and when they learned I would buy them it all began. Three years later I am parting a machine out about every week to 10 days.

Being very honest I don't do it for the money because once I buy machines, pay storage rent, pay selling fees, etc I don't make a lot per hour doing it. But I hate to see good parts just sitting or ending up in landfills so I feel as though in a way I am helping some pinball machines live on. Yesterday I saved 3 that were headed to the dump later this week and after dealing with the nastiest mold you have ever seen I am thinking maybe these 3 were not such a good idea. But I did still savage a ton of good parts from them.

Anyway - anyone that has machines worth restoring PLEASE do not part them out. It happens way to much and it is sad to see machines that could be saved become parts.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider too-many-pins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-real-time-part-out-on-ebay-the-victim-is-gtb-sinbad?tu=too-many-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.