Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ForceFlow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

partout.jpg

#1 4 years ago

I saw an ebay auction pop up last week for a Gottlieb Sinbad. After the auction ended (with no bids), the game's major components were then listed separately.

So sad to see another perfectly serviceable game destroyed. If I were closer, I might have picked it up since the cosmetics looked pretty good.

This isn't the first time this seller has parted out a game. I'm not sure if the seller is on pinside or not.

The original listing for the whole machine:
ebay.com link » Gottlieb Sinbad Project Pinball Machine Clean Pinball Nice Playfield Back Glass

The list of components/parts:

partout.jpg

#2 4 years ago

Follow the money....

#3 4 years ago

Rest in "pieces" sinbad

#4 4 years ago

Well.. That's how it goes.
The individual parts are worth more than the whole machine..
Sad to see that happen.

#5 4 years ago

Yep. Sucks to see it happen, but it happens.

#6 4 years ago

I might be doing the same thing to a Pac-Man pinball. The only thing that does not work is the left flipper. I could use the money and the space. Its a pretty good machine but I have no one who wants to buy it whole.

#7 4 years ago

I part out between 35 and 50 machines a year but I would never part machines out that could be saved. I have what I call the two out of three rule. I see a pinball machine as three major parts: backglass, playfield & cabinet. For me to part a machine out two out of the three need to be beyond being able to be used. ALL machines are worth more in parts but I could never part a machine out that was worth saving.

About 3 years ago I realized I just had too many so-so machines sitting around so I offered them for sale. Once all the better stuff sold I started trying to figure out what to do with the rest. And that was when I realized machine with two out of three bad are never going to sell. So I decided to help other machine live on by making "junk" into parts.

After I had been at it for a while local pinball guys started contacting me with their "junk" - partway striped playfields, nasty machines that had been sitting outside or in barns, etc. and when they learned I would buy them it all began. Three years later I am parting a machine out about every week to 10 days.

Being very honest I don't do it for the money because once I buy machines, pay storage rent, pay selling fees, etc I don't make a lot per hour doing it. But I hate to see good parts just sitting or ending up in landfills so I feel as though in a way I am helping some pinball machines live on. Yesterday I saved 3 that were headed to the dump later this week and after dealing with the nastiest mold you have ever seen I am thinking maybe these 3 were not such a good idea. But I did still savage a ton of good parts from them.

Anyway - anyone that has machines worth restoring PLEASE do not part them out. It happens way to much and it is sad to see machines that could be saved become parts.

#8 4 years ago

This seems to be the trend.
I see it done with antique gas engines, motorcycles, machine shop equipment, ect.
I don't like it either, but look at the upside.
One goes down, and several are put back in service.
At least we hope.

#9 4 years ago

Try to look at it in a brighter light...
Maybe the parts from that pin will go to save several others?

#10 4 years ago

Yeah it sucks seeing pins parted out. I used to buy and sell dozens of pins back in the good days. Out of 200+ pins probably had to part out about 20 of them. Most had rotted out cabs missing backglass and trashed playfields. I have probably 3 or 4 now that most people would have parted out but just can't do it.

#11 4 years ago

Damn....I'm looking for a Sinbad !
Double damn !

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

but I have no one who wants to buy it whole.

^ this ^

There's a difference between parting out because you cant/too lazy to repair it, and honestly trying to find a buyer (you might not even be able to give it away) Sometimes it's just the last straw when it needs to be gone, I guess.

#13 4 years ago

R.I.P. Sinbad. another one gone I can't play

#14 4 years ago

On the bright side they made almost 13,000 of these. Where all of them are though, I dont know..(the ratio of games made to games for sale is low)

#15 4 years ago

Hate to say it, but he had these advertised , at least some of them. He may still have a complete Sinbad, he had a couple for about $400-600, I believe he posted them for sale before starting the tear down.

I've been looking for just a Joker Poker playfield so sometimes taking a machine down does help others.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

I might be doing the same thing to a Pac-Man pinball. The only thing that does not work is the left flipper. I could use the money and the space. Its a pretty good machine but I have no one who wants to buy it whole.

Is it listed for sale anywhere? As long as the playfield isn't blown out, I would think it wouldn't be too hard to sell.

#17 4 years ago

I don't see the problem. It's not like people are buying these old pinball parts to keep their 1970's dishwasher going.

If you have to bitch about something consider the pinball hoarders with folded up games collecting dust and mould in their unconditioned storage unit. Thousands of pins reside in places like that.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Is it listed for sale anywhere? As long as the playfield isn't blown out, I would think it wouldn't be too hard to sell.

It has been listed on here for a while. I do not want to go the ebay route. CL is a possibility but I have had zero luck in the past with that.

#19 4 years ago

I've bought from that seller. I had zero issues.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from iron00monkey:

I've bought from that seller. I had zero issues.

I have too. No complaints here either. Other than the parting of pins that look repairable, that is.

I get it though--some can't be restored. However, for this particular sinbad, it looked like all it might need is a shop job, a power supply, and an MPU. It's not like it was beat to smithereens or rotting apart. It could've made a nice player's pin.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
€ 8.40
$ 289.00
$ 49.00
$ 20.00
Various Novelties
GC Pinball
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 14.95
$ 1,199.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
COINTAKER.COM
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 495.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.50
Playfield - Decals
The MOD Couple
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 300.00
Tools
PinDoc Restorations

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside