Picking up 1 (resized).JPG
Clean up Center Post (resized).JPG
Clean up 2 (resized).JPG
Clean up 1 (resized).JPG
happy tour 3 (resized).jpg
processed-72c45356-48ea-4b3d-97c8-16caf2f5eb28_rmCVssLw (resized).jpeg
happy tour backglass (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

As some of you know, I'm a bit of a historian with an interest in the work of Ted Zale.

The acquisition of this one happened completely by chance, and was local to me.

Like many of you, I have a craigslist notification setup on my phone. I don't really have the room for any more games, but if the right game popped up at the right price, I can always make room.

Last Thursday I got a random estate sale notification with "pinball machine" - no title, no photos. I just ignored it. Lucky for me, fellow local pinsider truemagoo102 didn't ignore it. He inquired, and they replied with a photo-- which he promptly brought to my attention. It was the very rare Bally "Happy Tour"-- the add-a-ball version of Grand Tour. The estate sale started on Friday morning, and I had an absolutely immovable all-day work obligation.

Lucky for me, my local crew is pretty tight, and we help each other out as needed. Lawlor_and_Order happens to live right near where the sale was happening, and was able to run over early Friday morning and secure the machine. He and Aphex went back in the afternoon to pick it up. When I got home that afternoon, Aphex was already in my driveway with the game. I have great friends!

We got the game down into my basement, and immediately went to work cleaning, replaced the power cord (which was maybe the scariest one I've ever seen) and when we plugged in the game, it fired right up and worked. Interestingly, one of the score reels isn't working-- but the game will still start even though it's not at zero-- so I'm going to have to track down whatever bypass someone came up with to make that work... but otherwise, every switch in the game works, every stepper works-- it's pretty amazing. The game was FILTHY. I was concerned about the playfield, but it really cleaned up nicely. I didn't take any before pictures-- maybe Aphex can share some of the ones he took. The photo here is after cleanup, as reassembly had begun. Waiting on a few parts from PBR before I can continue.

Happy tour playfield (resized).jpgHappy tour playfield (resized).jpghappy tour backglass (resized).jpghappy tour backglass (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

Can you still get those glittery metal flipper bats? I have one game with those and might steal them off my Hot Line and put them on Magic City to match the cover of that one book that has magic city on the cover.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

Can you still get those glittery metal flipper bats? I have one game with those and might steal them off my Hot Line and put them on Magic City to match the cover of that one book that has magic city on the cover.

I have no idea. It's not correct for the game. One of the parts I'm waiting on is new flipper bats.

#4 2 years ago

drsfmd that playfield came out amazing!!! This is what the game looked like before:

processed-72c45356-48ea-4b3d-97c8-16caf2f5eb28_rmCVssLw (resized).jpegprocessed-72c45356-48ea-4b3d-97c8-16caf2f5eb28_rmCVssLw (resized).jpeg
#5 2 years ago
Quoted from truemagoo102:

drsfmd that playfield came out amazing!!!

It really did. I was a little worried about it to be honest-- it looked a little rough in the pictures, but a bit of simple green and a lot of elbow grease did a whole lot of good. Here's a better resolution photo of the cleaned up playfield.

At some point it will get stripped down for touch up and clear coating like my other Zale's, but for now I'm just going to enjoy it as-is.

happy tour 3 (resized).jpghappy tour 3 (resized).jpg
#6 2 years ago

jeez, I just hate when previous owners desecrate playfields by installing the center post between the flippers.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from TwinDavid:

jeez, I just hate when previous owners desecrate playfields by installing the center post between the flippers.

I do too. And I may be forced to put it back in, as there's a little ridge where the post was, and the aesthetic of it is going to bother me.

#8 2 years ago

The first 3 pictures here I snapped after loading the machine up with @lawlor_and_order, I knew there'd be a lot of clean up to do... You can see around certain posts the rubber dried and accumulated on the playfield... Before we began any work I snapped a few pictures of the playfield after removing the glass so you can see the amount of dirt that was there. The shooter Rod had seen better days and that power cable

Picking up 1 (resized).JPGPicking up 1 (resized).JPGPicking up 2 (resized).JPGPicking up 2 (resized).JPGPicking up 3 (resized).JPGPicking up 3 (resized).JPGClean up 1 (resized).JPGClean up 1 (resized).JPGClean up 2 (resized).JPGClean up 2 (resized).JPGClean up Center Post (resized).JPGClean up Center Post (resized).JPGShooter Rod 1 (resized).JPGShooter Rod 1 (resized).JPGShooter Rod 2 (resized).JPGShooter Rod 2 (resized).JPGWonky power cable (resized).JPGWonky power cable (resized).JPG
#9 2 years ago

We did assemble the entire machine after changing out the power cord and looking over everything and addressing other little issues. To our complete disbelief it fired right up we began to remove plastics and depopulate the topside of the machine. I couldn't believe how well it cleaned up as you'll see from the shots below. I think there are some more parts on the way and once they're in the machine we'll post a few more pictures of it restored. I can't wait to play this one, the layout looks pretty awesome for a game of its time.

Clean up 6 (resized).JPGClean up 6 (resized).JPGClean up 7 (resized).JPGClean up 7 (resized).JPGClean up 4 (resized).JPGClean up 4 (resized).JPGClean up 5 (resized).JPGClean up 5 (resized).JPG
#10 2 years ago

I see even back then Bally removed playfield artwork from areas beneath the flippers to avoid chipping and peeling of the clearcoat.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I see even back then Bally removed playfield artwork from areas beneath the flippers to avoid chipping and peeling of the clearcoat.

I know you jest, but this was pre-clearcoat days. I'm guessing this was to prevent flipper drag marks from being so noticeable?

#12 2 years ago

I always thought it was to give the player a little advantage seeing the full range of the flipper bat when the ball is in that area

#13 2 years ago

By the time they got flipper drag it was time to get a new game on location and take the old one to the landfill.

#14 2 years ago

“See patent notice in back cabinet”

I’ve never seen this between flippers before. What is the patent for?

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

“See patent notice in back cabinet”
I’ve never seen this between flippers before. What is the patent for?

maybe for the butterfly switches in the inner loop shot?

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

By the time they got flipper drag it was time to get a new game on location and take the old one to the landfill.

Agreed. They didn't give a flying rip about seeing flipper drag. Just an aesthetic touch, and you'd be surprised how many people don't realize that the flippers are actually supposed to move. Remember, this was less than twenty years into the flipper era.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-rare-zale-era-bally-joins-my-collection and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.