(Topic ID: 185075)

Another price increase (for Canada)!

By Rob_G

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

canadian_dollar (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 12.29.31 PM (resized).png
    There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

Another price increase came today, at least for Canadians. Since January there have been 2 major price increases. This new one takes a pro from $7099 to $7499. Prior to January 1, a pro was about $600-$700 cheaper than now.

The first increase was from Stern, this new one appears to be from the sole Canadian distributor of Stern gamers.

Unbelievable!

Rob

#2 7 years ago

Ouch

#3 7 years ago

IMVE 9,699.00. I hope that's a typo on their site...

Rob

#4 7 years ago

What's the street price like?

Is this your distributor bumping it?

#5 7 years ago

It must be the distributor? We only have 1 distributor for Stern here. I guess they don't want to sell NIB games... shrugs

Rob

#6 7 years ago

MSRP is still the same on the website. Must be your Distributor. Either way, prices will continue to climb as long as people continue to buy. We are our own worst enemy.

I've wanted to buy GB and AS but refuse to continue to be taken to the cleaners so have stopped buying new games.

#7 7 years ago

Nitro is still showing $7095 for Aerosmith...Playdium is showing $7637!

Looks like no NIB for me ever.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

Nitro is still showing $7095 for Aerosmith...Playdium is showing $7637!
    Looks like no NIB for me ever.

$7095 is only about $100 more than what we are required to pay in the U.S., not sure why that's a big deal?

Sure dealers can mark up/advertise higher, they do the same here, but you have to shop around.

Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 12.29.31 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-03-29 at 12.29.31 PM (resized).png

#10 7 years ago

SON OF A ....... !

I had just looked at those prices yesterday....

#11 7 years ago

It sounds like Nitro is the vendor of choice in Canada!

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rob_G:

IMVE 9,699.00. I hope that's a typo on their site...
    Rob

could be... and somehow the MMRLE is less than the standard... typo I assume...

Is it April 1st already??

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from Khabbi:

$7095 is only about $100 more than what we are required to pay in the U.S., not sure why that's a big deal?
    Sure dealers can mark up/advertise higher, they do the same here, but you have to shop around.

A few years ago maybe, but my salary has not compensated for this curve!(CDN vs USD)

canadian_dollar (resized).pngcanadian_dollar (resized).png

My understanding is that Playdium is the only official Stern dealer in Canada. Nitro must buy from Playdium. So there is not much ability to shop around here.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from Khabbi:

It's a big deal because the price was $5000 for a Stern pro 3 (or 4?) years ago. Now it is apparently $7500. Wages certainly don't keep up to that kind of increase.

The one main Stern distributor/importer supplies all the other distributors so it remains to be seen if the price is increased to them as well.

Rob

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from Khabbi:

Americans don't pay tax either, by buying out of state. We have an additional 13% to pay. Puts it over 8K for a Pro. Want a Premium or an Alien? 11k.

Personally, my yearly wage increase doesn't even cover the inflationary increased costs of living, nevermind making up for the exchange rate difference. And I certainly don't have a higher salary than an American who does my job and buys for 5k.

Most of the veteran pinheads in Canada think prices are laughable and won't buy anything now. It's the new blood keeping things alive up here.

An excited pinhead posted a thread on a local forum about all of the cool new games coming out this year and the thread quickly derailed into a price bitch fest. I don't even think there was one comment about gameplay or features.

People can't even get excited about new games because unless you travel to a big US show, you probably won't get to play them.

TLDR: Pinball is expensive as fuck in Canada.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

Americans don't pay tax either, by buying out of state.

What are Americans supposed to do when the tax man comes knocking at the door to collect use tax on those large purchases from out of state?

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

What are Americans supposed to do when the tax man comes knocking at the door to collect use tax on those large purchases from out of state?

If that happens, in those cases they obviously just pay up... it wouldn't be a huge tax like it is up here. (1k on a Pro)

#18 7 years ago

I was thinking of a new in box later this year, but maybe not now.... i understand price increase if the cost has actually gone up somehow, but this just sounds like opportunistic pricing on Playdiums part. If Nitro follows suit, we're all doomed!

#19 7 years ago

Not sure I'm following here. From what Ive seen Playdium raised prices and Nitro still has them at $7095. Just don't buy from Playdium. Dont get me wrong, we are still getting hosed, pun intended, but its the way it is. I'm still on the fence about buying another NIB, AFMr or GOT premium.

#20 7 years ago

Every machine I have bought NIB from playdium I have paid less than MSRP.
    And got things like shakers, extra rubbers and LEDs etc. thrown in.

#21 7 years ago

Wow, my $4500 NIB Tron four years ago doesn't sound too bad now - sure sounded expensive back then

I was getting excited about the possibility of a desirable JJP pin (Toy Story?) in a year or so, but at this rate God knows where the NIB prices will be by then.

#22 7 years ago

Fo

Quoted from Rob_G:It's a big deal because the price was $5000 for a Stern pro 3 (or 4?) years ago. Now it is apparently $7500. Wages certainly don't keep up to that kind of increase.
    The one main Stern distributor/importer supplies all the other distributors so it remains to be seen if the price is increased to them as well.
    Rob

In the states we went from 3500 to 5000 in a few years.

Question- let's say my buddy in Vancouver wants one.
    I buy one and drive it up there,
    How much do they ding me at border?
    Less if I take it out the box?

#23 7 years ago

I don't think playdium cares that much about pinball anymore.

Nitro said they opening Toronto this year too.

Nitro price only gone up 100$. Not sure why playdium saying so high. Makes no sense.

One more reason to support Tommy and nitro.

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

How much do they ding me at border?

13% tax.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rob_G:

It's a big deal because the price was $5000 for a Stern pro 3 (or 4?) years ago. Now it is apparently $7500. Wages certainly don't keep up to that kind of increase.
    Rob

Yes it has.... yes it has....

Quoted from Spencer:Not sure I'm following here. From what Ive seen Playdium raised prices and Nitro still has them at $7095. Just don't buy from Playdium. Dont get me wrong, we are still getting hosed, pun intended, but its the way it is. I'm still on the fence about buying another NIB, AFMr or GOT premium.

Even though they (Nitro) are advertising lower, that is not the price that was quoted to me for a machine... received my quote this morning...

#26 7 years ago

Didn't the prices just go up around X-mas from around 6895 to 7095? and now another 400-500$ a few months later??
    At least give us a warning of a price hike. I was set to pull the trigger on an AS but now i think i'll just wait for used...that is if anybody is still buying new...

#27 7 years ago

Sounds like you Canadians are in the market for a pin smuggling cartel

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Shhhhh.... no speakie

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That's why I like cash.

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Or one of those unmanned border crossings.

#31 7 years ago

To be honest, the used market is just as bad. Crappy games are selling for over inflated prices.

I see games for sale, and I ask myself, do I buy this terrible 20 yr old game that was routed at one point in it's life, or spend $1500 more for a NiB pin?

Choice is pretty obvious in most cases.

#32 7 years ago

Just this AM I saw someone who wants 12K for IJ 93' ... with a cab that is white it's so faded.

Sigh ... I sold my pretty much CQ IJ 93' 3 years ago? for 6K. New decals, CC play field, played like a dream. I wonder who Al sold it to? I'd love to play that pin again ...

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

Just this AM I saw someone who wants 12K for IJ 93' ... with a cab that is white it's so faded.
    Sigh ... I sold my pretty much CQ IJ 93' 3 years ago? for 6K. New decals, CC play field, played like a dream. I wonder who Al sold it to? I'd love to play that pin again ...

If only we could hang on to all of them

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sammy31:

Yes it has.... yes it has....

Even though they (Nitro) are advertising lower, that is not the price that was quoted to me for a machine... received my quote this morning...

What was the advertised price and what was your quote?

#35 7 years ago

Gross, 7500 for a pro plus tax? Time to drain the stern thread so I dont look at new releases

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

What was the advertised price and what was your quote?

Don't have exact numbers right now but the advertised price (at the time) 7095$. Quote was roughly the advertised price from SB.
    Nitro gets their machines from SB...

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from libtech:

Gross, 7500 for a pro plus tax? Time to drain the stern thread so I dont look at new releases

Called Tommy today, he confirmed this price increase, plus shipping from Toronto. I'm really starting to root for heighway, and spooky. And Hey, Jjp standards are almost bargains now, lol.

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

Every machine I have bought NIB from playdium I have paid less than MSRP.
    And got things like shakers, extra rubbers and LEDs etc. thrown in.

I was in the Playdium store recently, they have cleaned out their staff, Gislaine has been downsized and some new guy was telling me that they are like the apple store now and won't negotiate anymore, and their price is what they want, take it or leave it, so I left.

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from alienagent:

I was in the Playdium store recently, they have cleaned out their staff, Gislaine has been downsized and some new guy was telling me that they are like the apple store now and won't negotiate anymore, and their price is what they want, take it or leave it, so I left.

Perfect kind of attitude that will kill your customer base. Stern and the rest of them have all gone off the deep end. I will stick with what i have and cycle that against other games. NIB prices are now for the rich.

#40 7 years ago

If you're in Ontario, drive down to Ohio and buy from Trent at Tilt... then find a way to sneak back across the border Or hell just pay the duties.. still cheaper than your crappy distributor!

#41 7 years ago

Sneak across they border he said.....you still have to pay 13% taxes on all games you bring back up. Plus the dollars conversion rates sucks and the banks will knock you another 2% for the exchange fee. Stern is slowly but surely giving all their customers the middle fingerwith this price increase. When the dollar comes back to par in a decade the pinball scene will be much different

#42 7 years ago

did the price increase on Playdium only happen on Stern games, or was it across the board (JJP and chicago gaming too?)

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

If you're in Ontario, drive down to Ohio and buy from Trent at Tilt... then find a way to sneak back across the border Or hell just pay the duties.. still cheaper than your crappy distributor!

Trent takes canadian money at par ?

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sammy31:

Don't have exact numbers right now but the advertised price (at the time) 7095$. Quote was roughly the advertised price from SB.
    Nitro gets their machines from SB...

If usd price is 5095 times 1.37 exchange is 6980cdn. Even plus a couple hundred for shipping these new prices aren't adding up???

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from luch:

Trent takes canadian money at par ?

Only USD... If the exchange rate sucks, maybe that's why Canadian pinball prices got jacked up? 1.37 is pretty bad... OTOH it helped me buy some classic videogames from CA at bargain prices!

#46 7 years ago

You poor Canadians deserve free health care to offset pinflation!!!! :lalala

Where is the black market when you need it. Load up a truck full and sneak them across the border

#47 7 years ago

Need a subway under the border to smuggle games

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

You poor Canadians deserve free health care to offset pinflation!!!! :lalala
    Where is the black market when you need it. Load up a truck full and sneak them across the border

Health care is not free in BC...we have to pay monthly MSP premiums.

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

Called Tommy today, he confirmed this price increase, plus shipping from Toronto. I'm really starting to root for heighway, and spooky. And Hey, Jjp standards are almost bargains now, lol.

Dont know if they would be any better would they - 7500 is 5600usd, which is high, I think games actually sell for around 5k in the states but msrp is what 5300ish? Still cheaper than 8k jjp's or even 6500 heighway games..

As much as we like to hate SB, its our dollar that blows..

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-price-increase/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.