(Topic ID: 201440)

Another Pile Of Rotting Pins....

By Linkage

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).JPG
    Crying (resized).png
    IMG_3788 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3787 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3786 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3784 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3785 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3782 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3783 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3781 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3780 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3779 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3777 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3778 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3776 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3775 (resized).JPG
    #1 6 years ago

I seem to have a knack for finding pin graveyards. A few years back I posted this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-it-be-worth-buying-these-100-bodies-70s-era-to-strip-for-parts

when I stumbled across nearly 100 bodies tarped over in a yard. I saved as much as I could out of that lot, shipping playfields all across North America.

A few month later I then ended up with 50+ EM heads:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-you-help-me-identify-these-backboxes-heads

No huge lots since then, until earlier this year, when I missed out on around 40-50 games by a couple days before they were smashed.

https://arcadeblogger.com/2017/09/08/arcade-raid-a-canadian-horror-story/

Today, I once again found some more stuff. Some of this is actually stuff I didn't save in the first lot - which I understood to have been bulldozed. Apparently it just got moved and I stumbled across it today. Wish I had know three years ago. Had my kids with me, so I didn't have a chance to rip things apart, but that looks like a Flight 2000 there that I can salvage some parts for a friend - he needs a drop down target.

Sad times.

IMG_3774 (resized).JPGIMG_3774 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3772 (resized).JPGIMG_3772 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3773 (resized).JPGIMG_3773 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3775 (resized).JPGIMG_3775 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3776 (resized).JPGIMG_3776 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3778 (resized).JPGIMG_3778 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3777 (resized).JPGIMG_3777 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3779 (resized).JPGIMG_3779 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3780 (resized).JPGIMG_3780 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3781 (resized).JPGIMG_3781 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3783 (resized).JPGIMG_3783 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3782 (resized).JPGIMG_3782 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3785 (resized).JPGIMG_3785 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3784 (resized).JPGIMG_3784 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3786 (resized).JPGIMG_3786 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3787 (resized).JPGIMG_3787 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3788 (resized).JPGIMG_3788 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

It makes you wonder what happened? Fire? Water damage? Did he die and his kids threw his collection in a field before selling his house?..........I need to re type my WILL.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from V_piscopo:

It makes you wonder what happened? Fire? Water damage? Did he die and his kids threw his collection in a field before selling his house?..........I need to re type my WILL.

Nothing so crazy, warehouse scheduled for demo - guy got contracted to clean the place out. Ended up sitting in a wreckers yard.

#4 6 years ago

SO WISH I hadn’t clicked on this thread...

#5 6 years ago

Sad.....hope the parts for the F2K help your buddy......Great game!

#6 6 years ago

Crying (resized).pngCrying (resized).png

#7 6 years ago

Somebody needs shot.

#8 6 years ago

I hate these threads.

#10 6 years ago

Wow what a shame.

#11 6 years ago

Collectively if everyone took a prized rare or primo game and found a quality location to donate to charity, more kids would see these games as they were supposed to be, and wrecking yards would not likely be the magnet for old games. Just a thought.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

SO WISH I hadn’t clicked on this thread...

This.... It gives me chest pains hahaha. Well atleast the op saves what he can. That makes me feel a bit better as that could complete someones incomplete game

#14 6 years ago

Some of these may just need a fuse!

.... or two...

#15 6 years ago

It will buff out...........

#16 6 years ago

Somebody here said that maybe 5% of EMs may still be around. I understand that now.

#17 6 years ago

Seriously, I see a lot of good usable parts there. Evaporust is your friend.
    I would pick them up.

#18 6 years ago

Not the Williams!! What a kick in the gut. My em is crying now, those are his family! Shame on those who did this!

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from Sammy31:

Some of these may just need a fuse!
    .... or two...

...or, "In good condition for there age."

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from SuperDaveOsbourn:

Collectively if everyone took a prized rare or primo game and found a quality location to donate to charity, more kids would see these games as they were supposed to be, and wrecking yards would not likely be the magnet for old games. Just a thought.

Easier said than done. A few years ago, when temporarily downsizing, I tried to donate a pin to the local boys and girls club and they wanted nothing to do with it. They would have taken a playstation / console, but did not want an arcade machine.

#21 6 years ago

Or they just need a new cord, then they’ll power up.

#22 6 years ago

RIP pinballs, you'll be missed.

PS I know this is cliché but could it be just a fuse? Looks like there is one missing....

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

Easier said than done. A few years ago, when temporarily downsizing, I tried to donate a pin to the local boys and girls club and they wanted nothing to do with it. They would have taken a playstation / console, but did not want an arcade machine.

Exactly. Without someone on staff who already works with arcade & pinball machines, it's too complicated, too costly, and too time consuming to maintain. If you offered to place a game and service the game free of charge, then they might accept that arrangement.

I always cringe at various comments "donate it to charity"--a lot of charities actually refuse all sorts of things that people want to donate because of the burden of time and finance that the donation might incur after the fact. However, they will usually accept things that are in line with what they are already doing.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

I'm sorry I was not more clear.

Take a game that is heading to the dump, fix it up, put it on location and take the earnings (donated space and electricity by the location, and your time and machine) to cooperatively donate to a local food bank, charity for dogs/cats, or whatever floats your boat. Put pictures and the information each time you donate into a local rag 'feel good section'. Business benefits, you keep a game from the trash, and kids of all ages get to mess with old games they will never see again due to exactly what you described above.

I know someone that has placed up to ~1/2 dozen old games of their rather large collection and put them on location at various businesses with this formula. During the past 6+ years those games brought in about $24,000 US in quarters, 100% (yes, all of it) donated to local charities. About the same amount in travel time and parts was donated by the 'operator'. It apparently worked well (stories of damage was minimal, and most location owners loved it along with their patrons). There has to be a level of commitment by all involved for this to work. Finding the right location apparently takes a bit of 'search and destroy' mentality, since it doesn't make money for anyone but a 3rd party beneficiary.

So again, sorry for the miscommunication or understandings. Hopefully this clears it up, and others take this model and use it or expand on it for their own needs or demands. Its a shame to see this stuff get tossed out and forgotten, I think we all agree on that.

#25 6 years ago

I'm no expert but can you name the pins in the piles?

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

I see a Wms Skill Pool. I'd pull all those fuses probably $300 worth of those there.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

Somebody needs shot.

Quoted from alexmogil:

I hate these threads.

Quoted from Pinballer73:

Wow what a shame.

I look at things like this a bit differently. When these games broke down and were taken out of service, there were probably few parts to fix them. They became parts games very quickly in order to keep another game running on location. All of a sudden it was a non-running hulk of scrap. And in case nobody noticed, pinball machines are pretty big. So storage was an issue.

Today it is inconceivable to us that a broken game couldn’t be fixed. I can call Steve, I can call Marco. I can buy an Alltek and that dead game springs to life. I can buy those special game specific parts to keep them running right. I can google just about anything and poof, info on how to fix it is served to me on a silver platter. I have online forums like Pinside where I can ask an obscure tech question and usually get an answer.

You used to need to have all the information yourself. If you hadn’t learned all the electronics and theory of the games, you couldn’t fix them. It was a different world.

Feel free to disagree, but as you do, think about having 40% of your collection down, and there were no parts, and anything you learned on the internet didn’t exist. Heck, there are games I never would have bought if parts weren’t available because I’d have a bunch of 250 pound piles of junk to stack stuff on top of.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Bally SuperSonic

Gotllieb Royal Flush

#29 6 years ago

Flight 2000:

Definitely get the drop target assembly--also work in 9 Ball.

Get those plastic pop bumpers.

And the plastics. And coin door. And transformer.

#30 6 years ago

Might be able to finally use Novus 3 on something here.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from McSirTuna:

Might be able to finally use Novus 3 on something here.

Quoted from beatmaster:

bah, that will buff right out.

Just a little of elbow grease will fix that right up.

Added over 6 years ago: See the added photos if they come up, a fairly rare Hit the Deck I parted out. Painful to do, but was so sun and water rotted, it had to go.

#33 6 years ago

As I've said before, if the owner of the scrapyard doesn't care, try to record some serial numbers for posterity, even just post them in this thread, the ones on the crossmember is probably survived. I would break these down completely, strip ALL the hardware, post it up online for fellow collectors, you could probably sell it. As evidenced in many posts, lots of guys would love these even in their crap state.
    Some Novus and Evaporust and the hardcore resto guys are more than happy!
    It's too bad these games are trashed but the way I see it, many games can live on through there parts!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-piles-of-rotting-pins?hl=darcangeloel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.