(Topic ID: 97923)

Another Paypal question. Buyer paying w/acct linked to CC. What's safest?

By Butch2099

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Butch2099
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

I have someone who is on his way right now to pick up Indiana Jones. He is saying that he will pay me half in cash and pay me the rest on PayPal. I have accepted PayPal gift payments before but he did mention that his account was linked to his credit card. What is the safest method for him to pay me? He seems willing to gift it to me and pay the fees on his end. Or should I be doing something different? He is willing to sign a receipt saying he picked up the pinball machine. I just don't want to get screwed here but I also want to sell the machine..

#2 9 years ago

Paypal by CC is fine for the seller. If he gifts it and pays fees then he would have no recourse against you, so it's fine. I wouldn't hesitate to accept it.

#3 9 years ago

DON'T DO IT.

Even if he "gifts" you by Paypal, he can still file a chargeback with his credit card company.

Get all the money in cash, or wait for another day.

If it were $100 to lose, you might let it go, but for $3000 - that's real money.

#4 9 years ago

Have him gift you that half before he comes.

Pays the rest in cash on pickup

That's the safest for you imo

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from ranchdrsn:

If he gifts it and pays fees then he would have no recourse against you, so it's fine.

Not true at all.

Quoted from Jeekayjay:

That's the safest for you imo

That is NOT safe for the seller at all.

#6 9 years ago

You could list it as goods/services then up the amount by the fee. For example instead of a $1000 gift do a $1030 sale, it would be the same total to the buyer either way. But as others have mentioned, you could have a claim via PayPal or Credit Card Company. Cash talks!

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from leesparts:

You could list it as goods/services then up the amount by the fee. For example instead of a $1000 gift do a $1030 sale, it would be the same total to the buyer either way. But as others have mentioned, you could have a claim via PayPal or Credit Card Company. Cash talks!

this is what I was thinking. If he put it under goods/services and I get a receipt signed by him that he took the machine he wouldn't be able to chargeback..it would still cost him the same either way correct?

#8 9 years ago

There is no guaranteed safe method using CC.
    Even as a gift, the buyer can still pull a "that is not my purchase" against his credit card. The CC will pull the money back from paypal and then paypal will pull the money from you....and charge you a reversal fee on top of this.

#9 9 years ago

One thing I've learned in life, and in transactions...you lose the most from those who have the least to lose. If the buyer has no ethics, reputation, money, nor a credit card that he really cares about keeping...it's too easy to pull a "not authorized" chargeback. Gift, goods, signed paper, doesn't matter. Credit card company reverses payment to Paypal, Paypal reverses payment to you, and if you already withdrew it to your checking account, they'll lock your account and do everything possible to get that money back. So if you don't care about your Paypal account, legal notices, etc. (in other words, if you have less to lose), you don't have to worry

But realistically, this doesn't happen that often so you're probably fine. Cash can be a risk too. Go with your gut. But if you tell him no, especially now, then even more trust is lost among strangers and with both parties suspicious of the other you could lose the transaction.

For the record, my preferred method of payment anymore beyond a couple grand is wire transfer. I give an invoice/receipt, they pay right into my account, machine ships or is picked up right away.

#10 9 years ago

Just do a bill of sale and have him sign that then gift you the cash.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from ReplayRyan:

Credit card company reverses payment to Paypal, Paypal reverses payment to you, and if you already withdrew it to your checking account, they'll lock your account and do everything possible to get that money back.

Paypal turns it over to a collection agency and your credit is ruined.

Your account being locked is the least of your worries.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from wdpvideo:

Just do a bill of sale and have him sign that then gift you the cash.

He could sign you your own decoration of independence and it would not stop his credit card company from doing a chargeback on Paypal, and then Paypal debiting you.

There is simply NO safe way as the seller to accept Paypal.

Sorry.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Paypal turns it over to a collection agency and your credit is ruined.
    Your account being locked is the least of your worries.

Oh I'm quite familiar with the process I've given away a few games over the years. It's in the back of my head everytime someone kindly says "How do I know that you won't just take my money and run?" I want to say, "How do I know you won't take my machine and run?"

#14 9 years ago

Tell him to go to the bank and get a cash advance on his credit card.

Sure, it's higher interest, but currently he is asking you to take over his risk.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from ReplayRyan:

Cash can be a risk too. Go with your gut.

Very respectfully, how can cash ever be a risk?

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from Multiball1:

Very respectfully, how can cash ever be a risk?

Fake bills, bills counted wrong or stolen, temptation to immediately spend on hookers and blow...

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from ReplayRyan:

Fake bills, bills counted wrong or stolen, temptation to immediately spend on hookers and blow...

All risks that sound fun enough to take ......

#18 9 years ago

If looking for advise here you are probably more confused now! I'm with those that say if you have any concerns, just say cash only. Why even bother with the risk? If he wants it bad enough and he has the money available to send via Paypal, he should have no problem rounding it up in cash. You have a game that is easy to sell if he backs out.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from ReplayRyan:

temptation to immediately spend on hookers and blow...

Why be tempted?

Just go and spend it.

#20 9 years ago

I accepted payment for a machine thru paypal once. I will never do it again. The problem had nothing to do with the buyer. He was happy with his purchase. Paypal locked up the money and I couldn't get it out without jumping through hoops.

#21 9 years ago

Just an update on what I did. I figured if the machine had sold through eBay I would have had to accept PayPal as a seller of goods and services anyway. He paid the transaction fees by adding it onto the purchase price. I got a receipt signed by him that he accepted the machine. Along with drivers license number. I had googled him beforehand and he seemed like a normal person who had a business. He also had good eBay feedback. Granted that everything could be a front but like someone else said the cash could be bad also.

I'll still feel better when the money clears

Edit:I also felt that if he was trying to scam me he wouldn't of told me that it was linked to a credit card. There was no way I would have been able to find that out beforehand.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-paypal-question-buyer-paying-wacct-linked-to-cc-whats-safest and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.