(Topic ID: 15873)

another noob question,magnet on lotr not working.

By mrgone

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by vader1979
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

what do i look for and what are some common problems?

#2 11 years ago

Check the fuse for the ring magnet..f20..4a sb...if you have a regular lotr, its fine to put in a 5amp sb instead..

#3 11 years ago

i will check that. thank you.

#4 11 years ago

2nd thing to check if the fuse is not blown is that the spinner switch is not working. When the spinner is spinning it signals for the magnet to activate. If the switch is not working for the spinner the signal to turn on the magnet is not sent.

#5 11 years ago

thankyou for the tips. i will check it out tonight and post what i find.. thanks again to all for the help.i love pinside.

#6 11 years ago

opened up the back box. its the fuse. i can not find a slo blo fuse anywhere in the okie podunk town i live in. i tried a standard 5 amp fuse and it blew when i powered up. anyone know where i can find the right fuse locally?

#7 11 years ago

Do you have a radio shack?

#8 11 years ago

Do you want me to send you one if the Radio Shack doesn't have them?
Sometimes Home Depot has them as well in the audio/video aisle.
Fry's Electronics usually has them too...

#9 11 years ago

I find better luck sometimes at local hardware stores instead of radioshack.

#10 11 years ago

I think the MDL-5 fuses at home depot are the same as the slo- blo.
They call it time- delay instead of slo-blo

#11 11 years ago

cool,and thanks to all. radio shack and home depot are both close. 5 minutes away so i will check tomorrow. thanks to all for the help.

#12 11 years ago

Here is probably what you want from Radio Shack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102750

#13 11 years ago

After you put the fuse in, hopefully it will not blow right away. If it does blow right away, then you most likely need a new transistor on the circuit board.

Good luck.

#14 11 years ago

i checked the site and they have it in stock at my local store.thanks.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

After you put the fuse in, hopefully it will not blow right away. If it does blow right away, then you most likely need a new transistor on the circuit board.
Good luck.

thanks for the tip. hopefully its just the fuse.if not at least i know where to go with it.

#16 11 years ago

It most likely is the fuse. Mine poped after two days out of the box. Replaced it as stated above and never a problem again. Others seem to have had similar results.The play field switch in the VUK also failed pretty quickly and stock up on the Belrog hit switches.

#17 11 years ago

i went to radio shack and got the 5a slo blo fuses. got home and put one in. had the wife power up while i watched the fuse. it lasted about 1 minute before it blew.

#18 11 years ago

Just had this issue with my flipper transistor. New fuse also immediately blew. Do a continuity test on the ring magnet transistor. I'm guessing you'll find it has failed.

replacing the transistor on your board involves soldering and a circuit board. If you know what you're doing, great! If not, you'll need to find/pay someone else to do it. I wouldn't recommend learning how to solder on a perfectly good board

#19 11 years ago

Don't feel bad mrgone. I just had my first potentially big problem with my LOTR this afternoon. The ball went into the tower VUK and then it started doing a ding, ding, ding noise and suddenly the DMD said there was an operator error. Just a hunch, but I have a feeling either a fuse blew or the transistor failed (or both) for the VUK. The ball is just sitting in the VUK hole below the tower and does not try to kick it out.

I will have to wait a week to work it out. I have too many other things to do until then.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

Just had this issue with my flipper transistor. New fuse also immediately blew. Do a continuity test on the ring magnet transistor. I'm guessing you'll find it has failed.
replacing the transistor on your board involves soldering and a circuit board. If you know what you're doing, great! If not, you'll need to find/pay someone else to do it. I wouldn't recommend learning how to solder on a perfectly good board

thats good advice. i have a local op/friend who has done board work for me before.
he does good work at a fair price. fwiw,im so grateful pinside is here.thanks to all for your help and support.

3 weeks later
#23 11 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

thanks,pinmike. the info is very helpful.i emailed my op friend and should hear back in a day or so.

Hi mate,interested to know how you got on as i have what sounds to be same thing??

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from dangermouse007:

mrgone said:thanks,pinmike. the info is very helpful.i emailed my op friend and should hear back in a day or so.
Hi mate,interested to know how you got on as i have what sounds to be same thing??

There's plenty of advise in this thread. Did you complete it all?

#25 11 years ago

op friend has been backed up with work. im still waiting on him for board repair. as soon as i get that done i will post results.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Don't feel bad mrgone. I just had my first potentially big problem with my LOTR this afternoon. The ball went into the tower VUK and then it started doing a ding, ding, ding noise and suddenly the DMD said there was an operator error. Just a hunch, but I have a feeling either a fuse blew or the transistor failed (or both) for the VUK. The ball is just sitting in the VUK hole below the tower and does not try to kick it out.
I will have to wait a week to work it out. I have too many other things to do until then.

Don't want to hijack your thread, but since the thread bubbled back up and you are still waiting to fix, I thought I would update my problem from a few posts up.

My problem was that the Orthanc tower VUK had one wire broken off at the solder. I simply soldered it back and that fixed the problem.

#27 11 years ago

high jack away.any info that helps another pinhead is always welcome.

#28 11 years ago

im putting together an order of parts from pinball life. what transistor does lotr use for the ring magnet? i cant find it anywhere in the manual. granted,im on my 4th margarita.
i have got to stop ordering parts when im drinking. anyway,thanks for helping out.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

what transistor does lotr use for the ring magnet?

Here you go Sir...This is the one and is more durable.Q6 is the Transistor location on the driver board.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=190&parent=0

#30 11 years ago

thank you sir.

1 week later
#31 11 years ago

update,i decided to try and replace the bad transistor myself. i watched a how to video on youtube.result,success! hey, it works. cool! my 1st try at soldering on a board and it worked. it was really fairly easy. to remove the solder i used the vacuum type desolder thing.
now if i can just get the left flipper back on line it will be 100%

8 months later
#32 11 years ago

I know this is an older thread...but I am a noob and this thread helped me immensely. My magnet stopped working as well. I would have never even thought about checking the fuse...but checked it...and sure enough it was blown. Didn't even need the manual to find its location as it was stated above. Put new fuse in...played three games and it works great now! I love pinside!! Thanks guys!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life
Armor and blades
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-noob-questionmagnet-on-lotr-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.