You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 1.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Hello to all. I very recently (yesterday) purchased my first pinball machine. I tell myself it will probably be the only one I own but after reading around here I realize that might not be the case. I bought myself a 1975 Gottlieb Top Score. The machine itself is in pretty good shape and plays very well. For it's age it certainly has some wear but nothing too bad. Has a good retro vibe which looks good. It has certainly spent a fair amount of time sitting in bowling alley or similarly smokey area but my wife is already working to remedy the smell. There are a few things I am looking to work on so any input would be greatly appreciated.

1. The main issue my machine has is after the ball drains and it is time to kick out the next ball it doesn't seem to quite have the power to do so. You can see it pop the ball up but it can't quite get all the way into the metal track that feeds to the plunger each time. Sometimes it takes 7-8 tries to get there but after a few tries it always does. From underneath the solenoid seems to operate correctly (pulls down on the spring and pops right back up). Not sure if this is something that could get too weak or would just go out when it breaks. So the operation seems to work properly but the execution.... not so much. This is the first thing I will take on.

2. The second item is to figure out how to set it for free play. Right now I can just open and manually add credits which is no big deal. I have done zero research on this and I imagine this is one of those things discussed ad nauseum on here so I'm sure I will find this info.

3. The third thing is the 2 player mode seems to have issues. You can start the game in 2 player, first player is fine. Once he is finished it changes to 2 player mode but never starts. The lights all indicate it is ready to go for the 2nd player but the ball never comes out and if you press the start button is just resets the game. In this game it appears that in 2 player mode the 1st player will play all 5 of his balls then it is the 2nd players turn (as opposed to alternating). Because of this it's really not that big of a deal to just play in 1 player and take turns vs 2 player.

I posted some pictures in my profile and I will try to add a couple here as well. I'm sure as with most forums for any hobby.... we always love pictures. Thanks in advance for any thoughts you guys may have on these issues. This forum has already been a big help while I was shopping and I'm sure it will continue to be.

Thanks,
Robb

photo 1.JPGphoto 1.JPG photo 3.JPGphoto 3.JPG photo 2.JPGphoto 2.JPG
#2 9 years ago

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index1.htm

I use this website almost daily to help me fix my pins.

1. My ball kickout was weak too. I would first recommend taking it apart, cleaning the plunger and the inside of the coil with alcohol really well, then putting it back together. If that doesn't work, the coil may need to be replacing. The two I have worked on, just needed to be cleaned. should just need to take a couple screws out to take the mech apart.

2. Check IPDB.org for the instruction manual to your game. that almost always shows you how to set for free play.

3. Not sure what the problem with the 2 player game would be. I haven't ran into this one myself. Others on pinside will know, I am sure.

Good luck!

BTW, I bought my first pin 3 months ago. Now I have three. haha.

#3 9 years ago

^^^ this, also check out pinwiki.com

nice first machine for sure

--Jeff

#4 9 years ago

the game looks to be in nice shape. congrats on your first pin and welcome to the club.

#5 9 years ago

Wow great find, that's a title I'd be looking for. Welcome to the community!

#6 9 years ago

Howdy!

Nice pin!

Enjoy!

Ken

#7 9 years ago

Nice find! Welcome!

Jean-Louis

#8 9 years ago

and I see you managed to get it up stairs too!

welcome to Pinside

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Cubbie23:

1. The main issue my machine has is after the ball drains and it is time to kick out the next ball it doesn't seem to quite have the power to do so.

Common causes in this area include:
- gunked up, sluggish ball kicker mech. Good cleaning can help.
- Incorrect or weak coil. Not as likely, but easy to check.
- Ball not sitting in cradle fully. If the switch is keeping the ball too high, or off to a side, then it can't launch quite right.
- Kicker cradle needs 'aiming'. Ball may not be landing aligned onto ramp. The cradle can be bent a bit correct.
- Bad spring on kicker plates. When this spring is incorrect or too stiff or too weak, the incorrect lift/launch force is imparted to the ball. This causes the ball to launch too high and hit the apron first instead of heading towards the ramp, or to just 'plop' too short of the ramp.

Taking off the lower apron and watching what's happening is very helpful. With the apron off, if it starts working, then that suggests the ball was actually hitting it.

Usually a good cleaning, filing the worn-down/mushroomed edges of the cradle, and making sure the plate spring is good are enough (as long as the coil's good).

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Cubbie23:

2. The second item is to figure out how to set it for free play.

Close the middle pair of switch contacts on the Credit Unit switch stack (either with a blade adjustment tool, or can also jumper them closed with a small alligator clip jumper wire). When this middle pair of switches are open, it indicates that there are no credits (and they open when the Credit Unit is at the zero position). So making sure they're closed causes the logic to indicate there's always a credit.

#11 9 years ago

Welcome. I advise you put your location in your profile. I feel you will get more involvement and help when you tell where you live. It creates a better 'feel' of who our Pinsiders are. Just my opinion.
Mike in Kentucky

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Cubbie23:

In this game it appears that in 2 player mode the 1st player will play all 5 of his balls then it is the 2nd players turn (as opposed to alternating).

No, that's not correct. The Player Unit needs to advance, and the sequence is always Player 1, Ball 1, then Player 2, Ball 1, then back to Player 1, Ball 2 and so on (alternating).

An initial thing to check is just manually step the Player Unit (in the backbox) and see that it's able to step through the whole sequence correctly (to Game Over). Once the game is on Player 1, Ball 1, then manually activating the solenoid plunger to step the unit will walk it through the sequence.

When set for a 2-player game, if the Player Unit isn't stepping after Player 1, Ball 1 drains, then can look at the logic path for the stepping the Player Unit next.

#13 9 years ago

To add to what DirtFlipper said, even though it is a 2 player game, it has 4 steps to get from player 1 ball 1 to player 1 ball 2. So, after player 2, there are two dead steps that the unit must pass by to get back to player 1.

#14 9 years ago

I like the layout of that play field. Very cool.

Dave

#15 9 years ago

Thanks to all for the quick response and ideas. We played it a fair amount this weekend and really enjoyed the game.

Quoted from Pintucky:

Welcome. I advise you put your location in your profile. I feel you will get more involvement and help when you tell where you live. It creates a better 'feel' of who our Pinsiders are. Just my opinion.
Mike in Kentucky

Thanks Mike. I updated my location.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

1. My ball kickout was weak too. I would first recommend taking it apart, cleaning the plunger and the inside of the coil with alcohol really well, then putting it back together. If that doesn't work, the coil may need to be replacing. The two I have worked on, just needed to be cleaned. should just need to take a couple screws out to take the mech apart.

Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Common causes in this area include:
- gunked up, sluggish ball kicker mech. Good cleaning can help.
- Incorrect or weak coil. Not as likely, but easy to check.
- Ball not sitting in cradle fully. If the switch is keeping the ball too high, or off to a side, then it can't launch quite right.
- Kicker cradle needs 'aiming'. Ball may not be landing aligned onto ramp. The cradle can be bent a bit correct.
- Bad spring on kicker plates. When this spring is incorrect or too stiff or too weak, the incorrect lift/launch force is imparted to the ball. This causes the ball to launch too high and hit the apron first instead of heading towards the ramp, or to just 'plop' too short of the ramp.

Taking off the lower apron and watching what's happening is very helpful. With the apron off, if it starts working, then that suggests the ball was actually hitting it.

Usually a good cleaning, filing the worn-down/mushroomed edges of the cradle, and making sure the plate spring is good are enough (as long as the coil's good).

The ball kickout seemed to get better the more we played it. I'm guessing a good cleaning may do the trick. Once I get that done I will follow some of the steps provided by DirtFlipper as well. It may be a couple weeks before I get to this but I will update the thread when I get it resolved. The 2 player mode will be tackled after that.

This is a neat little machine and the gameplay is a blast. Obviously there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and I appreciate you guys taking the time to lend a hand.

Robb

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from Cubbie23:

This is a neat little machine and the gameplay is a blast.

Yep you're screwed .... the second machine is not far behind and the third and fourth and so on .......

Soon you'll be like most of us thinking that you would've been better off hooked on drugs instead of pinball (lol)!

#17 9 years ago

On your ball return kicker issue, in addition to everything that has been mentioned, you also need to take a look at the score motor switch that controls the kicker. Cleaning/adjusting that particular switch has done more to cure weak Gottlieb ball kicker issues than any of the other solutions, although all of those are valid too.

This is almost completely a Gottlieb issue. It happens over and over with them. I've rarely seen that issue on a Williams or a Bally. It's just a bad design issue.

#18 9 years ago

I still don't see your location. Is this the $750 Top Score that was listed on Kijiji in Oshawa for a while?

I got a Top Score in Ottawa about a month ago for $850. It has a repaired/repainted cabinet but the backglass is not as nice as yours. Great game, my 10 year old loves it! We have yet to roll it yet but he has come close.

Welcome!

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

I still don't see your location. Is this the $750 Top Score that was listed on Kijiji in Oshawa for a while?

I got a Top Score in Ottawa about a month ago for $850. It has a repaired/repainted cabinet but the backglass is not as nice as yours. Great game, my 10 year old loves it! We have yet to roll it yet but he has come close.

Welcome!

It appears I didn't hit the "proceed" button the first time.... should be there now. I got mine down in the Houston area for $525. Not a lot come up for sale around here. Not sure how great the price was, but I talked him down until I felt comfortable that I got an ok deal at least. We have come really close to rolling it over as well but not quite there yet.

Quoted from EMsInKC:

On your ball return kicker issue, in addition to everything that has been mentioned, you also need to take a look at the score motor switch that controls the kicker. Cleaning/adjusting that particular switch has done more to cure weak Gottlieb ball kicker issues than any of the other solutions, although all of those are valid too.

This is almost completely a Gottlieb issue. It happens over and over with them. I've rarely seen that issue on a Williams or a Bally. It's just a bad design issue.

Thanks for the heads up.... I will certainly give that a shot.

Quoted from meSz:

Yep you're screwed .... the second machine is not far behind and the third and fourth and so on .......

Soon you'll be like most of us thinking that you would've been better off hooked on drugs instead of pinball (lol)!

It's like seeing into the future.... I can already tell I'm on that path.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, MO
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-newbie-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.