IMG_4378.jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
costanza (resized).png
main-qimg-705ef6c31cf22ebae587c893d875c2b9.gif
download (4) (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,568 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 32.
#802 10 months ago

After catching up on the past four pages of this thread, I believe a more fitting name for his pin would be "Narcissist Factory".

I claim fair use on this image, as it is not being used for marketing...

Screenshot 2023-06-05 123145 (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-06-05 123145 (resized).png
#803 10 months ago

It really amazes me how clueless McBain is when it comes to "fair use" and licensing.

Beavis wears a Metallica t-shirt on the tv show. That's fair use.

On Beavis and Butthead merch, he wears a generic "Death Rock" t-shirt, or simply a blue shirt with nothing on it. Because IP laws.

Will Pinball Adventures be our most spectacular boutique startup failure yet?

#804 10 months ago

I only saw one brief review of Punny Factory from the show on the weekend, and he said it was...pretty good?!

#805 10 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It really amazes me how clueless McBain is when it comes to "fair use" and licensing.
Beavis wears a Metallica t-shirt on the tv show. That's fair use.
On Beavis and Butthead merch, he wears a generic "Death Rock" t-shirt, or simply a blue shirt with nothing on it. Because laws.

Even that's not fair use - it's used with permission. It's part of the recurring costume for the lead character. Original defenses would be in parody, but they blew past all that. Judge has confirmed they've been held to get the band's permission. And even the videos they mock now are authorized to avoid defending against claims.

#806 10 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Will Pinball Adventures be our most spectacular boutique startup failure yet?

Would depend by what standard you're measuring. Money wise, certainly not.

#807 10 months ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Would depend by what standard you're measuring. Money wise, certainly not.

Well, sure.

But I can't imagine a more spectacular downfall for a pinball company - at least in entertainment value - than one caused by an aggrieved coalition of aging or deceased celebs led by Don Knotts and Cheech and Chong.

#808 10 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Well, sure.
But I can't imagine a more spectacular downfall for a pinball company - at least in entertainment value - than one caused by an all-out assault from the estate of Don Knotts and Andrew Dice Clay himself.

Deeproot was years of lulz topped off by a SEC investigation. Hard to top that shit show...

#809 10 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Deeproot was years of lulz topped off by a SEC investigation. Hard to top that shit show...

Yeah, but the comedy value really doesn't outweigh the investors on the Derproot Funds side who found out they were paying for all the pinball buffoonery.

#810 10 months ago
Quoted from kool1:

I want some comments / pictures of this if anyone is going..

I was at the show on Friday and hopped on it for a quick game with my buddy. It's a shame that the theme is as bad as it is because I actually liked how the layout shot, and also really liked that they had the game set up STEEP + fast. Sound effects were annoying. There may have been some technical issues/loose connectors (bank of standups didn't seem to be registering). Can not get over how bad the theme is, if you tried to make the least appealing game to me in the world, this would probably be it... but I look forward to flipping their next title, I guess? So it was better than I expected.

I did also like this hot dog.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#811 10 months ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

I was at the show on Friday and hopped on it for a quick game with my buddy. It's a shame that the theme is as bad as it is because I actually liked how the layout shot, and also really liked that they had the game set up STEEP + fast. Sound effects were annoying. There may have been some technical issues/loose connectors (bank of standups didn't seem to be registering). Can not get over how bad the theme is, if you tried to make the least appealing game to me in the world, this would probably be it... but I look forward to flipping their next title, I guess? So it was better than I expected.
I did also like this hot dog.
[quoted image]

Cute dog but not a pun (dog on fire would count).

#812 10 months ago

It could be sunny out. You gotta remember this is a Canadian company so anything warmer than about 25c/80F is pretty dang hot!

That paint job looks interesting. Looks like it is getting scratched up in the lower portion in the brown area by the nut. And near the upper right that looks like a ball trail but it's not straight and kinda looks like the paint is cracking.

Good on Pinball Adventures for showing the game to the public though. Onwards to YEGPIN in July.

#813 10 months ago

Maybe the dog "must turd"?

#814 10 months ago

I just don't get how you start a pinball company and pick such a ridiculous theme. You would think you would want to pick something that is as popular as possible (e.g. Woz, Lebowski, Alien) to help generate interest and sales. If you need to go unlicensed there are so many better options or you do what AP did with Houdini and Oktoberfest, unlicensed themes that people at least know and like what is is about (magic, beer). I don't recall in any 'what theme would you like to see' thread anyone say "a game about puns" and if someone did, hopefully their friends would do an intervention -- which raises a good question -- did none of Andrew's friends and associates says "Andrew, this might not be the best theme" or did he just ignore the feedback -- which seems par the course.

#815 10 months ago

I don't think it is a bad theme.

I am making a homebrew with a theme based on glue, but I am not sure it will stick.

#816 10 months ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

I am making a homebrew with a theme based on glue, but I am not sure it will stick.

sigrid-ba-dum-tss.gifsigrid-ba-dum-tss.gif
#817 10 months ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

I was going to make a pizza themed pin, but it was too cheesy.

#818 10 months ago

I was going to make a pin about cows and ice cream, but decided it was udderly ridiculous.

#819 10 months ago

Wasn’t the deal that Andrew had written a series of kids books, one of which was Punny Factory? Leveraging his own existing IP for a pin at least makes some sense, even if there’s not much obvious crossover between “kids book buyers” and “pinball buyers”.

#820 10 months ago

I played one of the Punny Factory machines at the NW pinball show on the weekend (there were two machines there). Thought it was fine. Flippers felt good. Everything seemed to be working. I dont see myself buying one, considering they are priced $500 less than a Stern Pro, but they seemed to be well built. I liked the flipper action more than JJP...

#821 10 months ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Wasn’t the deal that Andrew had written a series of kids books, one of which was Punny Factory? Leveraging his own existing IP for a pin at least makes some sense, even if there’s not much obvious crossover between “kids book buyers” and “pinball buyers”.

Andrew makes shovelware books but although its possible he's sold a couple copies, theres zero reviews on his 2 punny factory books at amazon. Also they are from 2019 and the game was known before then, so best case scenario they coincide with the game. Lets just call it what it is though, the books are shovelware simply so andrew can say hes an author and has written multiple books to help lend some credence to his name.

#822 10 months ago

I imagine those books are pretty cut and paste low effort like a lot of "joke" books on Amazon. I can't imagine the flood of AI books on Amazon now...

#823 10 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I imagine those books are pretty cut and paste low effort like a lot of "joke" books on Amazon. I can't imagine the flood of AI books on Amazon now...

I kinda just want to get the books and see how much of it (if any...in fairness) is plagiarized, or just how terrible and cheap they are. All the volumes of the pinball adventures books have terrible reviews that get worse with each installment.

#824 10 months ago
Quoted from Smack:

It could be sunny out. You gotta remember this is a Canadian company so anything warmer than about 25c/80F is pretty dang hot!

It's the humidity!!

1 week later
#825 10 months ago
Quoted from kool1:

I want some comments / pictures of this if anyone is going..

I played it - walked right up as no one was near their two machines. I had no previous knowledge of the company or the theme. First impression, holy crap what a dumb theme for a pinball game. It shot okay but had zero interest in it. I tried to ask some questions about the company, they seemed uninterested in telling their story. Shocked that any would think “puns” - yeah that will sell a lot of machines. What next, an algebra themed machine?

#826 10 months ago
Quoted from WarriorPin:

What next, an algebra themed machine?

DON’T GIVE HIM ANY IDEAS!!!!

#827 10 months ago
Quoted from WarriorPin:

What next, an algebra themed machine?

Math Pin?
I could be in
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#828 10 months ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Math Pin?
I could be in
[quoted image]

Math? I love Math! Math classes were some of the few in college I liked so much I took twice!

Calc I and Statistics.

PTSD

#829 10 months ago
Quoted from WarriorPin:

Shocked that any would think “puns” - yeah that will sell a lot of machines. What next, an algebra themed machine?

6a0128770ad0fb970c0191042e4cfc970c (resized).jpg6a0128770ad0fb970c0191042e4cfc970c (resized).jpg
#830 10 months ago

I would buy this algebra teacher pin

hft (resized).jpeghft (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#832 9 months ago

I can say as a carpenter, if you play this you wood be board. When I looked at it I sawdust.

#833 9 months ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

I can say as a carpenter, if you play this you wood be board. When I looked at it I sawdust.

Nailed it!

#834 9 months ago

Sharing Donald Hopkins post on FB as he requested

“Be wary buying a game from #pinballadventures I got the very 1st engraved (1 of 10 limited editions) punny factory pinball games and it's absolute horseshit. The playfield looks like someone threw salt on it before they clear coated it.

The games display didnt work out of the box. I had to wait 6 days for them to ship a part to fix it. So many problems on this game that I am still fixing them and even reengineering other poor choices they made when designing the game.

Andrew Mcbain's solution was to send me another NIB game (a standard edition) that I could swap out the playfields (by unplugging 5 connectors) and take the standard edition game to SFGE in Atlanta, set it upfor him and then hopefully sell it.

That changed recently to "we're going to send you an unpopulated playfield and that's it."

The advertised "pipe handles" are missing my my plexiglass backglass. I could go on and on and on posting pics that would make you ask... WTF were they thinking!?

I want to shout from the highest mountain what a lying POS andrew mcbain is! Please be really careful buying a game from them because this is what they think is acceptable to send to the very first customer of their very first Limited Edition $7000 game.”

0384545F-B742-45C4-B749-2A94402620BF (resized).jpeg0384545F-B742-45C4-B749-2A94402620BF (resized).jpeg559462DA-A448-438D-9158-05AF6206938F (resized).jpeg559462DA-A448-438D-9158-05AF6206938F (resized).jpeg576BB728-67D4-4018-A103-9602718F3599 (resized).jpeg576BB728-67D4-4018-A103-9602718F3599 (resized).jpeg9F41F568-BE22-46F5-8198-9583AA66C4AA (resized).jpeg9F41F568-BE22-46F5-8198-9583AA66C4AA (resized).jpegAF6B2366-CA7A-4BBE-87C3-D166A5F58F3D (resized).jpegAF6B2366-CA7A-4BBE-87C3-D166A5F58F3D (resized).jpegEE9D4038-D11C-4624-B7BE-DC7578F83E56 (resized).jpegEE9D4038-D11C-4624-B7BE-DC7578F83E56 (resized).jpegEF482199-D9CA-401A-ACE0-C57BE0FD8D22 (resized).jpegEF482199-D9CA-401A-ACE0-C57BE0FD8D22 (resized).jpeg
#835 9 months ago
Quoted from pookycade:

“Be wary buying a game from #pinballadventures I got the very 1st engraved (1 of 10 limited editions) punny factory pinball games and it's absolute horseshit. The playfield looks like someone threw salt on it before they clear coated it.
The games display didnt work out of the box. I had to wait 6 days for them to ship a part to fix it. So many problems on this game that I am still fixing them and even reengineering other poor choices they made when designing the game.
Andrew Mcbain's solution was to send me another NIB game (a standard edition) that I could swap out the playfields (by unplugging 5 connectors) and take the standard edition game to SFGE in Atlanta, set it upfor him and then hopefully sell it.
That changed recently to "we're going to send you an unpopulated playfield and that's it."
The advertised "pipe handles" are missing my my plexiglass backglass. I could go on and on and on posting pics that would make you ask... WTF were they thinking!?
I want to shout from the highest mountain what a lying POS andrew mcbain is! Please be really careful buying a game from them because this is what they think is acceptable to send to the very first customer of their very first Limited Edition $7000 game.”
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I just came here to post this too. I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, that Andrew delivered a poor quality product and refuses to do a proper job fixing it. I mean, it's not like he has a track record of doing exactly that! Sad

#836 9 months ago

Oof. Donald Hopkins, what were you thinking?

#837 9 months ago

Oof. Donald Hopkins, what were you thinking?

Well this time around it will actually be “Limited Edition”. Perhaps even 1 of 1. So there’s that.

#838 9 months ago
Quoted from pookycade:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from Haymaker:

I just came here to post this too. I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, that Andrew delivered a poor quality product and refuses to do a proper job fixing it. I mean, it's not like he has a track record of doing exactly that! Sad

Haymaker, I was about to say the same damn thing!!

Nobody could have ever anticipated Scamdrew McBum would lie, cheat and steal from his customers!! This is truly unprecedented, a brand new company, with a guy who couldn’t even print a book, screwed up producing a complicated machine with hundreds of moving parts?!?

Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Please stop defending such insulting dog shit games. Now let me break this down, so we can all be on the same page

The artwork & the promo videos:
Dear Lord, please let me feel the sweet kiss of death and spare me such horrors.
I know about 20 artists who can whip you up promo art in about 4 hours that is better than this for less than 50 bucks.
Get with the times and go on Instagram. Everyone is a starving artist.
Hell, search the animation hashtag and you’ll see teenagers more talented than Disney that crank shit out in a day thanks to technology.
IT’S NOT HARD TO GET A DECENT ARTIST, PINBALL SCAMVENTURES. Andrew is just a typical cheap money-grabbing con man who won’t pay anyone. I bet he even recorded his own voiceovers because he thinks he’s that great.
They’re awful. Nobody cares about your 5 minute MS Paint “story”
We see this shit from the Indian companies that bootleg whatever is trending that day.
This is a .99¢ App that someone with too much money created into a shell company to become a money-laundering abomination.
Now MAYBE if this was made into a modular machine that could play 12 different shitty games, it would be interesting.
But it’s not.
Cabinet already looks like trash even for a prototype.
Artwork is horrid, low-effort and pitiful.
Promos are self-congratulatory and cringe-worthy.
It started bad, got worse, and ended up face-planting into a cactus doin’ 80mph.
At least Suncoast’s Kosmic Karnival looked awesome, had badass artwork, and a badass soundtrack. With finished code it woulda been an ok game. This is probably the worst entry into pinball we have seen to date.
Since Andrew and co. will downvote this comment while being too cowardly to respond:
1.Take a step back.
2.Seriously EVALUATE what you’re working on.
3.Get a real artist.

5. Stop being a cheap bastard, team up with AP or someone to manufacture your game. If the company has put out at least 2 machines then they’ve already got their shit together more than XYZ startup, so pool your resources together and maybe it won’t suck as bad.

It took 4 years but we ended up right back where we started. Everyone feel free to mark Pinball Adventures next to deeproot on your bingo cards. Next we will be taking a look at Turner…

#839 9 months ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Haymaker, I was about to say the same damn thing!!
Nobody could have ever anticipated Scamdrew McBum would lie, cheat and steal from his customers!! This is truly unprecedented, a brand new company, with a guy who couldn’t even print a book, screwed up producing a complicated machine with hundreds of moving parts?!?

It took 4 years but we ended up right back where we started. Everyone feel free to mark Pinball Adventures next to deeproot on your bingo cards. Next we will be taking a look at Turner…

What defies explanation is they know it’s bad, how could they not ? Don’t you do everything in your power to make it right for your customer in this situation ? Especially customer #1. Put aside what people personally think of the man, what about having common business sense ? Did he somehow just think it was going to go out the door and nothing would be noticed or said ? Bizarre

#840 9 months ago
Quoted from pookycade:

What defies explanation is they know it’s bad, how could they not ? Don’t you do everything in your power to make it right for your customer in this situation ? Especially customer #1. Put aside what people personally think of the man, what about having common business sense ? Did he somehow just think it was going to go out the door and nothing would be noticed or said ? Bizarre

This!! Delivering a low quality product is a great way to kill your aspiring pinball company...

#841 9 months ago
Quoted from waveman:

This!! Delivering a low quality product is a great way to kill your aspiring pinball company...

But by complaining, you out yourself as one who would buy a pun-themed pinball machine. McBain may be counting on that to keep customers quiet.

#842 9 months ago

Memories of happier times.

Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 9.08.14 PM (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-07-10 at 9.08.14 PM (resized).png

Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 9.07.59 PM (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-07-10 at 9.07.59 PM (resized).png

Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 9.07.47 PM (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-07-10 at 9.07.47 PM (resized).png

Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 9.06.54 PM (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-07-10 at 9.06.54 PM (resized).png

Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 9.07.19 PM (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-07-10 at 9.07.19 PM (resized).png

What horrible madness compelled this man to make Punny Factory his second-ever NIB purchase? I had incorrectly assumed that only a whale who simply must purchase every single new pinball machine would buy this one.

#843 9 months ago

They have officially surpassed deeproot and delivered a paid for game! It's a low bar to hurdle, but these guys are officially better than Rober Mueller and the Deeproot team. Congrats!

#844 9 months ago

Oh man...d0n and Macbain are a match made in heaven, I never would have seen this coming! I would be totally pissed to see that garbage playfield in a new game if it were my own game. The printing obviously was not fully adhered, and the clear caused it to lift when applied. Clear coat was probably applied too heavy initially. I bet GWJ could tell us why this happened!

#845 9 months ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

... When I looked at it I sawdust.

Wow, I was trying to be clever but turns out I was prophetic! That playfield is a complete failure.

#846 9 months ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

They have officially surpassed deeproot and delivered a paid for game! It's a low bar to hurdle, but these guys are officially better than Rober Mueller and the Deeproot team. Congrats!

U3N5.gifU3N5.gif
#847 9 months ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I don't know how to caption this... but this seems relevant.

#848 9 months ago

All this is total BS!! No pics of this dog??What does it look like?? Somebody show this pin in its intirerly??Cab,playfield,backboard and trans light.please!!

#849 9 months ago

The playfield looks like shit, both the print quality and clear coat application. But let's talk about the wire bundle for a second...

It has barely enough slack to put the head down, and almost all the wires are the same color. Good luck troubleshooting when it inevitably breaks. Hope you don't stretch any wires to the point they screw up connectors or break inside the insulation. (And I'm hoping there's a ground strap between the head and body not pictured)

There are 1,568 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-new-pin-reveal-12-16-punny-factory/page/17 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.