(Topic ID: 260667)

Another mosfet question

By Coolcheese12345

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

This is my first so please pardon the noob....

I have a black knight that I just bought off eBay “nonworking”. After questioning seller he just said “ it just stopped working.” I previously owned a Williams Blackout system 6 that drove me crazy with its let’s just say flakey gameplay. So the info here has been greatly appreciated about “fire proofing” and bullet proofing these Williams era boards.

So finally to my question, I have done a search here and not found any information about the IRFZ44N. I have a bag of these from using them to add a shaker motor to my Gottlieb countdown controlled by an Arduino. I wondered if these could be used for the driver modification to reduce heat from my semi burnt 27 ohm red resistors. I tried to gather some info on options posted by others here way smarter than me...

IRFZ44N
    Transistor Polarity: N Channel
    Continuous Drain Current Id:49A
    Drain Source Voltage Vds:55V
    On Resistance Rds(on):0.0175ohm
    Rds(on) Test Voltage Vgs:10V
    Threshold Voltage Vgs:2.1V
    No. of Pins:3Pins
    Operating Temperature Max:175°C

IRF9Z34NPBF
    MOSFET P-CH 55V 19A

IRFZ34NPBF's cooler
    Npn version
    N CHANNEL MOSFET, 55V, 29A TO-220AB

FQP17P06
    MOSFET P-Channel 60V 17A TO220 N

Seems like specs are similar. Anyone have any experience with these? I’m not totally trying to be a cheap @ss, but it’s hard looking at these, here in my hand, and not wanting to use them.

Thanks for any suggestion/help.

#2 4 years ago

When replacing the driver boards TIP42 PNP transistors with MOSFETs you need to use P-channel devices.
    I'm afraid to say that IRFZ44N are N-channel MOSFETs and are not suitable for this application because they work on switching to negative while P-channel work on switching to positive.

The FQP17P06 P-channel MOSFETs are preferred because they have a higher gate to source voltage (Vgs) of 25 volts and on these boards the transistors can get close to this voltage spec.

#3 4 years ago

Thanks. Off to order more parts!! I Appreciate the clarification.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-mosfet-question-?hl=turtle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.