• Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN1568.JPG
DSCN1567.JPG
IMG_1985.jpeg
There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Has anyone seen the bug in the attached picture? Should be self explanatory...basically, the 3 target sometimes doesn't reset properly. My theory is the drop is so close to the left side of the PF hole, that it is rubbing against it and knocking itself down immediately after the mechanism raises the targets.

Thanks for any help!

IMG_1985.jpegIMG_1985.jpeg

#2 10 years ago

Does it prevent you from starting multiball or does it just always give you credit for the dropped target?

#3 10 years ago

Unfortunately, the picture is not self explanatory. It's obvious that its dropped. But does it try to raise it? Does it machine gun a few times and give up? Does it start up then fall? Definitely need more details.

If its not really trying to raise it, the switch that tells the state if the target could be part of the problem. You should experiment in switch test to see.

#4 10 years ago

maybe if you try to move the target bank a little bit to the right?

#5 10 years ago

Mine did the same thing! There was a metal burr on the mounting bracket behind one of the washers that positioned the drop too close to the edge. I removed the drop and the washers, and knocked the burr off with a screwdriver. Works great now. Results may vary. If your target is rubbing on the playfield, that would cause a problem there, too. Try centering your target bank first.

#6 10 years ago

Not ripping Metallica here. Played it; liked it. But I just can't understand for the life of me why the two big hang ups on the last 2 Sterns are drop targets (Metallica) and plunger (Avengers). Are you kidding me? These are the two most old school features on pinball machine that have been part of pinball forever? How do you screw these up?

#7 10 years ago

How do you screw these up?

In trying to figure this out, I looked at all my other games with drops, and Breakshot has the most similar designed targets that never have a problem. If you compare the two you will see why one works way better than the other.

DSCN1567.JPGDSCN1567.JPG DSCN1568.JPGDSCN1568.JPG

#8 10 years ago

Notice the Breakshot targets are positioned forward near the edge of the cuttout in the playfield. This allows for plenty of travel before they can get pinned, and a soft compression spring can be used.

Metallica's targets are made with more of a forward lean, and are positioned near the rear of the cuttout, which allows less travel and uses a stiffer compression system. Location adjustment is made with washers and is critical. Too far forward, and a good hit won't move the target enough to drop. Too far rearward, and it won't stay up.

Mine works great now, but as time goes on and parts wear, this could be an ongoing issue throughout the life of these machines, unless it gets redesigned.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Mine did the same thing! There was a metal burr on the mounting bracket behind one of the washers that positioned the drop too close to the edge. I removed the drop and the washers, and knocked the burr off with a screwdriver. Works great now. Results may vary. If your target is rubbing on the playfield, that would cause a problem there, too. Try centering your target bank first.

Is there an adjustment to center the targets? I looked and couldn't find it...

If there's no adjustment, it seems like I'd need to drill 4 new holes? (which I'd like to avoid)

btw...the target bank in the pic is a new one that Stern provided because mine was having a very hard time getting the targets to drop (would fail 30-50% of the time). I believe my original target bank was centered much better.

#10 10 years ago

Sometimes if you loosen all the mounting screws, you can nudge it over just enough. If that won't happen you may want to contact Stern. I would be more inclined to try to elongate the mounting holes in the bracket than drill new playfield holes. You shouldn't have to move the target very much to keep it from rubbing.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Not ripping Metallica here. Played it; liked it. But I just can't understand for the life of me why the two big hang ups on the last 2 Sterns are drop targets (Metallica) and plunger (Avengers). Are you kidding me? These are the two most old school features on pinball machine that have been part of pinball forever? How do you screw these up?

Very helpful post in a tech help thread.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

It is sad. I have Fathom/Paragon/Centaur right next to Metallica and their drops all work flawlessly.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I would be more inclined to try to elongate the mounting holes in the bracket than drill new playfield holes.

I have some small round files I use for this very purpose. Tedious, yet simple and effective. Try nudging it first.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Unfortunately, the picture is not self explanatory. It's obvious that its dropped. But does it try to raise it? Does it machine gun a few times and give up? Does it start up then fall? Definitely need more details.
If its not really trying to raise it, the switch that tells the state if the target could be part of the problem. You should experiment in switch test to see.

When I run the drop target test, it sometimes fails to raise some of the drops.

The mech only knows how to raise all the target, so if any aren't staying up, then it's a bug I believe.

The machine has no way to implicitly drop a target (like Fathom)...

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

When I run the drop target test, it sometimes fails to raise some of the drops.
The mech only knows how to raise all the target, so if any aren't staying up, then it's a bug I believe.

It's not a bug, you have a mechanical issue.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I have some small round files I use for this very purpose. Tedious, yet simple and effective. Try nudging it first.

I tried loosening the screw and nudging earlier today (with no luck).

I guess I could also put back my old mech that didn't have this bug...it only had the bug everyone else has (regarding targets not dropping when the ball hits them hard).

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

It's not a bug, you have a mechanical issue.

I don't know your background. Mine is software. In my world, any feature this isn't functioning properly is a bug (mechanical or otherwise).

#18 10 years ago

Bug to me is software, you have a hardware problem

#19 10 years ago

There is only one coil that pushes them all up. If one isn't getting pushed up in test mode, then you have a mechanical issue not a software issue.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

If it is rubbing on the side of the playfield it may not catch on the ledge and stay up. The way these are adjusted is right on the edge and mine was just dropping during the game because of vibration, until I corrected the adjustment by removing the burr. And yes one mechanism raises all drops. As long as it is raising them high enough, your problem is position adjustment.

#21 10 years ago

If I were you I would push it up manually, watch what it does. Also do it using coil test. Do it 20 times. Watch it. Figure out why the target lip isn't catching. Then adjust the mech so it does

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Very helpful post in a tech help thread.

Just pointing out that there is no way, shape, or form that drop downs should be a problem on a 2013 pinball machine. Maybe if Stern implemented LCD's on their pinballs finally and those were troublesome, that might be one thing. But problems with drop downs? It would be like Ford suddenly having trouble with their steering wheels.

This should not be occupying your time on a new pinball purchase and I hope it gets resolved soon!

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Just pointing out that there is no way, shape, or form that drop downs should be a problem on a 2013 pinball machine. Maybe if Stern implemented LCD's on their pinballs finally and those were troublesome, that might be one thing. But problems with drop downs? It would be like Ford suddenly having trouble with their steering wheels.
This should not be occupying your time on a new pinball purchase and I hope it gets resolved soon!

Our brand new Chevy Cruz had a recall where the steering wheel would actually come off while you were driving it. Shit happens, pins are mostly hand made and not tested much. Part of pinball is fixing them, new or not...Stern or JJP or whoever else..

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

If I were you I would push it up manually, watch what it does. Also do it using coil test. Do it 20 times. Watch it. Figure out why the target lip isn't catching. Then adjust the mech so it does

I've done all this already. I know it's mechanical and not software. If the mech had any adjustments, it would be solved by now. I also tried to nudge it to the right to avoid catching on the left.

At this point, anymore surgery to the mech or PF (in terms of drilling 4 new holes) isn't desirable to me. Tomorrow I'm going to play with putting my old mech back and playing with the springs to fix drops not dropping. The original mech didn't drop properly, the new Stern mech isn't allowing them to stay up (since it's not aligned properly).

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I've done all this already. I know it's mechanical and not software. If the mech had any adjustments, it would be solved by now. I also tried to Nudge it to the right to avoid catching on the left.
At this point, anymore surgery to the mech or PF (in terms of drilling 4 new holes) isn't desirable to me. Tomorrow I'm going to play with putting my old mech back and playing with the springs to fix drops not dropping. The original mech didn't drop properly, the new Stern mech isn't allowing them to stay up (since it's not aligned properly).

Sucks man, I wish I could help more.. my first drop smashed in half within the first 20 games :/

#26 10 years ago

There is a screw on the bottom of the mech you can use to adjust the targets upwards I believe. That back one does seem to be sitting a bit low in the hole?

If it's out of line and rubbing, you will have to move it over somehow like others have said..

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I know it's mechanical and not software. If the mech had any adjustments, it would be solved by now.

If it's not rubbing on the playfield, there are two washers behind the drop where the compression spring is. Removing the thin one might do the trick. If it is rubbing on the playfield, get yourself a small round file and make the mounting holes in the bracket a tad larger in the right direction.

A lot easier than replacing a water pump on a GM Quad 4 engine.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

There is a screw on the bottom of the mech you can use to adjust the targets upwards I believe. That back one does seem to be sitting a bit low in the hole?

And that!

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Sucks man, I wish I could help more.. my first drop smashed in half within the first 20 games :/

I appreciate the help you've given. I'm having 20-30 people over for a tournament and really wanted the new Stern to behave itself. I had a buggy display that Stern already replaced. It worked, but the drop assembly is still bogus (and the one they sent me had a bad opto board that I had to scavenge from my other mech). It's just a comedy of errors with Stern sometimes...

Fortunately, I have 15 pins do play if folks are annoyed by the Metallica drops...I'm still hopeful I can cobble together a solution tomorrow.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

annoyed by the Metallica drops

I've tried to break mine, but no dice! They work great. I think I'll try to go break them now. Good luck with the repair.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

I understand you're just pointing that out. I'm "just pointing out" how that fact has nothing to do with helping the OP fix his machine in this tech thread.

Snaroff: I tend to think this could be switch related. If the switch doesn't think the target is up, it will machine gun trying to raise it. So if its not doing that, Id blame the switch as well as adjust the screw to make it easier to reset.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

But problems with drop downs? It would be like Ford suddenly having trouble with their steering wheels.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/13/n-h-t-s-a-investigates-ford-super-duty-steering-loss/

Holy cow, Ford is having problems with their steering wheels!

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I understand you're just pointing that out. I'm "just pointing out" how that fact has nothing to do with helping the OP fix his machine in this tech thread.
Snaroff: I tend to think this could be switch related. If the switch doesn't think the target is up, it will machine gun trying to raise it. So if its not doing that, Id blame the switch as well as adjust the screw to make it easier to reset.

Yep, I swapped out the opto board and replaced the drops with tighter springs and everything seems to be working well now. Drops are still left justified, but aren't quite touching the PF. Verified everything in test mode as I believe you suggested.

I had a pinball tournament @ my place on Sunday (24 players) and Metallica got a lot of exercise. Drops worked flawlessly. Only had to remove the glass once to reinstall an LED that popped out of the right Sparky spotlight.

Thanks for all the help!

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

You're grossly oversimplifying the situation. The drop target assembly on MET is an all new assembly. Initially, after seeing the underside of one, I figured everything but the plastic targets themselves was new. Now, I'm thinking the targets are new too. It's a much more streamlined assembly than the one used on WOF. Way less materials. Material cost per unit has to be cheaper than the WOF assembly. If they can get the bugs out, it will help keep costs down.

As I've said before, Stern is making a lot of changes lately. They're moving to new boards, LED lighting and trying other new things. Sales were up 30% last year, so they can afford to try new things. Things should settle down soon, but for the near future, any new game you buy from them is taking a slightly bigger chance than you would've buying five years ago.

The good news is that they're making way, way better games these days, once you get the bugs worked out. I'd rather play a MET pro with brickish drops than an IJ4 in perfect working order. Not even close.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

The good news is that they're making way, way better games these days, once you get the bugs worked out. I'd rather play a MET pro with brickish drops than an IJ4 in perfect working order. Not even close.

I agree that some titles are worth the headaches. My AC/DC Premium had a lot of issues...went through 3 boards, 2 cannons, and 1 PF in the first few months. Normally, I would just "give up" on it and sent it back or try and sell it. Nevertheless, liked the game enough to work through the issues with Stern and my distributor. All worked out in the end.

For hobbyists or technically proficient operators, it's no big deal to work through issues. In fact, some folks like working through issues more than they like playing OTOH, before I was a hobbyist (back in 2004), I wouldn't have had the patience for these problems or headaches. When mere mortal consumers buy these expensive toys, they simply want them to work. Folks working many hours in a big time job want these games to be stress relievers, not stress creators.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I agree that some titles are worth the headaches. My AC/DC Premium had a lot of issues...went through 3 boards, 2 cannons, and 1 PF in the first few months. Normally, I would just "give up" on it and sent it back or try and sell it. Nevertheless, liked the game enough to work through the issues with Stern and my distributor. All worked out in the end.
For hobbyists or technically proficient operators, it's no big deal to work through issues. In fact, some folks like working through issues more than they like playing OTOH, before I was a hobbyist (back in 2004), I wouldn't have had the patience for these problems or headaches. When mere mortal consumers buy these expensive toys, they simply want them to work. Folks working many hours in a big time job want these games to be stress relievers, not stress creators.

I enjoy repairing pins,and do so at the shows and at mates houses's.
But the issues of a 10,000 dollar pin(yes that's what an LE costs in the UK),are a right fly in the ointment.
If it was a random failure that would be fine - new things break.Work in aircraft and have seen that a few times.But issues that happen to multiple people eg the aux board or the MET magnet down issue just leaves a bad taste in the mouth,on anything that expensive.
Especially when you do like the game,but the issues are taking away some of the enjoyment.Hopefully they will be fixed for all.Otherwise I would seriously think twice on ever getting a NIB first run again

poi

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from poibug:

I enjoy repairing pins,and do so at the shows and at mates houses's.
But the issues of a 10,000 dollar pin(yes that's what an LE costs in the UK),are a right fly in the ointment.
If it was a random failure that would be fine - new things break.Work in aircraft and have seen that a few times.But issues that happen to multiple people eg the aux board or the MET magnet down issue just leaves a bad taste in the mouth,on anything that expensive.
Especially when you do like the game,but the issues are taking away some of the enjoyment.Hopefully they will be fixed for all.Otherwise I would seriously think twice on ever getting a NIB first run again
poi

I totally understand how you feel. My advice is to work closely with your distributor/Stern to get your issues fixed. Based on what I've seen, Stern will not do any proactive "recall" on ANY issue. You will need to let them know and they will work with you.

Good luck!

2 months later
#38 10 years ago

Taking a thin washer off the top front two drops just worked for me with the new softer drops.

3 months later
#39 10 years ago

Does anyone have pics of the screws and or washers that you've used to adjust the mech. Mine has worked flawlessly until recently. Looks centered. But 3rd drop sometimes won't stay up. I will dig in and take some detailed pics later. Maybe its obvious which screws and washers when you are looking at it.

#40 10 years ago

Screws not required, just some thin plain washers. Once you the unit disassembled from the Playfield you will see it more clear. No worries

#41 10 years ago

So i spent some time examining my drop target mech. I dont appear to have an alignment issue, drops arent rubbing the playfield. I did notice that the 3rd target only sits on the mech ledge with one side of the target. The ledge isnt straight it was kinda bent away from the target on one side.

I removed the mech and after looking at what it would take to remove that washer, i decided it wasnt worth it. There are all kinds of springs and clips etc. just thought it would be slightly over my skill level at the moment. If i had to do it id get by. But i dont.

I ended up just slightly bending the mech ledge to make it slightly closer to the target and striaghter. Now the target always stays up when the game resets them. If anything i may have gotten it too close. Cause sometimes hard shots that directly hit the target dont knock it down. It is very tempormental setup.

#42 10 years ago

I'm not sure about u guys ..But i am on my 4th replacement target and every time i replace one i always have to re tweak to get them all to reset and stay set till until they get hit. Getting to a point where i don't want to play anymore just in case i break a target again.

#43 10 years ago

So what is the best way to adjust the drops so they drop when hit? Light/slow balls always knock mine down, but hard fast hits and they stay up sometimes. I added some tension on the spring by shortening it, but that doesnt seem to help. Shorten it more? Are ther replacement springs that are stiffer and available to purchase? Or is it all in bending the mech ledge just the right way?

#44 10 years ago

I can't offer any words of wisdom on how to tweak the mechanism. I just had Stern send me replacements. I've had 3 sets. The first set behaved like yours…hard hits wouldn't drop the target. The second set (the one in the picture above) would result in target dropping without being hit (sigh). The third set works perfectly

Since this is a fairly new title, I think asking Stern for drops that work properly isn't asking too much. I've had awesome support from Stern…no complaints @ all.

#45 10 years ago

Is your machine out of warrantee? mine is so i figured it would be and arm and a leg to get new parts. Are you saying that they sent you new target mech for free?

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Is your machine out of warrantee? mine is so i figured it would be and arm and a leg to get new parts. Are you saying that they sent you new target mech for free?

It's a known issue with stern I'm sure they'd send new targets.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Bought mine NIB 7 months ago. Don't assume it's a big deal…I'm certain Stern will take care of you. Metallica is a very recent title and this issue was fairly pervasive.

#48 10 years ago

I just replaced my drops yesterday, my distributor sent me a new set complete with instructions. The main difference in set up was I had a pile of thin washers left over. I did originally leave the extra washers in just like it was before, but the targets didn't stay up properly. So I took it apart again, followed instructions carefully, left out the un needed extra small washers and it works fine.

#49 10 years ago

Ok im gonna email my distributor and see where i can get. Even if it just gives me extra parts to keep around itd be worth it. Thanks for the info.

1 month later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
7,600 (OBO)
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 29.95
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-metallica-drop-down-bug and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.