Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150218_222207.jpg
20150218_220722.jpg
20150218_220646.jpg
image.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Hey everyone,
I'm in the same boat today...all these great sales and I was too stupid to research this in advance. I'm going with an all out restoration of my IJ...it's making me sick thinking about how much money I'm spending on this (cleared playfield, brass everything, rebuilt cabinet, etc.). In any case, like many IJ owners, I want to do an LED swap out, but I don't want this to be gaudy as I feel this game needs the warm feel. The two options I'm looking at are the Cointaker kit ($260-20%off) or getting the Comet intro kit ($100, will need to sub in some other bulbs later). I want the GI to be a very warm, diffuse white so it keeps the current feel, but just brighter. For the inserts, I hear that it's best to go with the corresponding color of the insert. For the back box, I guess I'd stay with the warm feel too...maybe swap in a color or two, but I've seen some where that's been done and I'm not too keen on it. I truly don't plan on having any other pins because I don't really have room except for the space I'm saving for Predator...so I don't really plan on having a large stock of bulbs for other games. Any thoughts or opinions are welcome!

Derek

#2 9 years ago

I bought a CT kit for my CV. I feel like they just use cool white for a lot of the choices that washes everything out. I ended up changing more than half more to my liking. I "pieced" together all my other machines and was much happier with the results and it was cheaper. Might have to experiment a little but it will be much more satisfying.

#3 9 years ago

Warm white frosted (single 5050 LED, sometimes called "premium or ghostbuster") gives a similar color temp to incandescent. I like them when used for GI, and they'd be my choice for sure on IJ.

For inserts, though, I'd probably use cool white for any white inserts, warm white for yellow, and color matched quads for green, orange or red.

#4 9 years ago

I have an HEP IJ and bought a cointaker kit for it. I was very disappointed.

The cool gi looked bad. Several of their insert choices looked bad (green for the INDY and ADVENTURE) inserts looked awful.

I ended up doing a lot of my own color choices. I recommend warm white retro style cointaker or clear domed pinball bulbs leds for the GI. Don't bother with a kit for this game.

#5 9 years ago

Thanks for the info. Given the price difference, I might go the route of Comet and give those a try. For $100, I should be able to get a lot done and then maybe play around buying another $20-30 of other colors after the fact. That extra $100 can help pay for something else.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Jedidentist:

Thanks for the info. Given the price difference, I might go the route of Comet and give those a try. For $100, I should be able to get a lot done and then maybe play around buying another $20-30 of other colors after the fact. That extra $100 can help pay for something else.

Good choice. Warm white for the INDY lane inserts and ADVENTURE inserts are a must. Green washes the lettering out and looks horrible. If you want some pics of mine for reference I would be glad to send you some. I don't love them all but haven't had time to swap some

#7 9 years ago

Sunlight. Period.

#8 9 years ago

Since it's an all-out "restoration" then the simple answer is "incandescent bulbs".

#9 9 years ago

In my opinion incandescent is the only way to go on IJ. Leds look terrible on this game. Warm white if u do. Cool white with yellows yuck

#10 9 years ago

Well, all of my incandescents work perfectly. I just though reducing a little heat would help in the long run...not that I have this game running longer than a few hours a month anyway. I'm open to all opinions and advice. I suppose I could just get a $100 kit and swap some and keep others. Hmm...decisions, decisions.

#11 9 years ago

My IJ came with a Marco LED kit. When I had a new cabinet made and everything swapped out, they didn't use the kit. I'll sell it to you cheap if you are interested. PM me.

#12 9 years ago

Spend the $ on ColorDMD instead of LED's. I do like green LED's in the green flashers though, but that's just two lamps. If you LED the inserts then you'll also have to get LED OCD, so now its gettin' expensive. I like LEDs in some games but not IJ, TZ or LOTR of games I've had.

#13 9 years ago

Oh, I'll probably get the ColorDMD too. Between this and my other current project, I have a lot of teeth to fix!image.jpgimage.jpg

#14 9 years ago

I just ordered the entire Cointaker kit in warm white to do the whole machine. Too many friggin' bulbs in that machine to replace...and do you really want to keep taking the Path of Adventure out to replace those bulbs? Not me. Also, I had some fried GI connectors, so taking the load off is always a good idea. I love incandescent bulbs for certain machines (LOTR for example will never get LEDs in my house). But I think Indy can be done in warm whites and still retain the "retro" look. But my opinion may change once they're in...

#15 9 years ago

Jedidentist, are you general or do you specialize? I have a family practice in Houston. Sweet car. Ever had it up to 88 MPH?

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from jazc4:

Jedidentist, are you general or do you specialize? I have a family practice in Houston. Sweet car. Ever had it up to 88 MPH?

I'm a pediatric dentist...and I see you live in the home of Delorean! This one is from DMC Florida and it's living there until the spring. I'm blowing money on upgrades for it and on IJ at the same time. And no, I haven't had it up to 88mph...I never got it higher than 30 when I was test driving it. It's a very uncomfortable car with no power steering, power brakes, or power period!

2 months later
#17 9 years ago

I went with incandescent for almost all of the GI, except for some areas where I could add green GI and for the lock hole where I stuck in a dark purple and reds in the lane diverters. I added projection lamps with incandescent to brighten up the middle of the playfield and some amber LED ribbon on the backboard and at the idol. All of the cpu controlled lighting is super white. I couldn't find (so far) any GI leds that give me the warmth of incandescent, everything I tried washed out the reds and oranges of the playfield.

20150218_220646.jpg20150218_220646.jpg
20150218_220722.jpg20150218_220722.jpg
20150218_222207.jpg20150218_222207.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Wanted
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,419.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

14,000 (OBO)
$ 29.00
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Barrie, ON
$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.95
12,500 (OBO)
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-led-question-for-ij-owners and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.