(Topic ID: 125874)

Gate Mod for Jurassic Park (Now in stock)

By outcida

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 169 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by outcida
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 27 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

124_(resized).JPG
126_(resized).JPG
129_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
Installation_Instructions_Rev_B_08-15-15.pdf (PDF preview)
image.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
20150628_162616.jpg
20150628_183525.jpg

There are 169 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 4 years ago

Congratulations on a successful show. I hope the Beta testing goes well!

1 week later
#102 4 years ago

I don't know why I give myself deadlines. I suck at meeting them. I have the 4 beta models about 70% completed but still have some work to do. Also need to finish the installation documentation.

#103 4 years ago
Quoted from outcida:

I don't know why I give myself deadlines. I suck at meeting them. I have the 4 beta models about 70% completed but still have some work to do. Also need to finish the installation documentation.

Hi Tim,

Don't worry about meeting some self-imposed deadline on this project. This is a very impressive and fully functional mod so take your time and don't release it until you are 100 percent satisfied that it is working correctly. The installation documentation is also very important as people like myself will need step-by-step instructions hopefully with photos as well.

In the long run it will save yourself a lot of time and headaches if you get everything so that you are completely satisfied prior to releasing it for sale.

Thanks.

Gord

#104 4 years ago

Duplicate post

#105 4 years ago

06/22 evening update.

Below is a video of the final beta version of the mod. Sorry for the washed out picture. LEDs are too bright on video. It looks so much better in person.

I've decided that the gate will only open during Bone Busting and Victory modes. To make it open at other times will require the PIG2. It doesn't make financial sense and I can't justify spending the additional time it would take to make that happen. Individuals can add it themselves if they choose.

Below is a picture of mostly everything the mod will come with (minus gate and backdrop photo). I say 3 piece mod in the video but it's actually a 6 piece mod that comes with the following hardware: Gate, main power cable, Spot lamp w/cable, Backdrop bracket w/lighting and movie photo, splitter cable and fused main circuit board that includes all the circuitry and software.

The Backdrop LED strip will come in cool or warm white. Your choice. The warm version is in the video.

All connections are color coded but it also comes with a 4 page, picture heavy, detailed installation instructions.
// Error: Image 419856 not found //

#106 4 years ago

So awesome.

#107 4 years ago

Betas will be done this weekend. I'm 85% there and should have them completed on Sat. I'll be reaching out to the testers for shipping info.

I greatly underestimated the amount of time that goes into making this mod with testing, troubleshooting and fine tuning. I also figured I'd save time once I got past the prototype and started making several at once but they seem to take the same amount of time. I see a price increase at some point in the future (not for those already on the list or those that get on it soon) or maybe just a limited run as I can't see myself making a bunch of these at the current price point. My free time is more valuable than Fast Food wages. It's not quite that bad but you know what I mean.

I took one more look at triggering the gate off the Ramp Jackpot and "O" in Chaos and I just can't see how to make that happen, even with the PIG2. The lamps for Jackpot and the O come on during power up and attract mode so the gate is constantly trying to open. I guess it just makes it that much more special when you do get it to open.

#108 4 years ago

Change the price if you have to. Don't give them them away for free.

What's taking the most time for you?

If you don't think the sale price is worth your time, then change something up. Maybe release it as a DIY kit that has to be assembled and painted by the user?

#109 4 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

Change the price if you have to. Don't give them them away for free.

Be careful here. I don't think $250 is "giving them away for free" you don't want to price yourself out of the market

What's taking the most time for you?
If you don't think the sale price is worth your time, then change something up. Maybe release it as a DIY kit that has to be assembled and painted by the user?

This is a very good idea. If assembly is your biggest cost this would be a great alternative.

#110 4 years ago
Quoted from TxJay:

Be careful here. I don't think $250 is "giving them away for free" you don't want to price yourself out of market

I was referring more to giving his time away for free. There's no point being in the market if he's not compensated enough to want to make them...

#111 4 years ago

There's no one thing that is taking the most time. It's that there are so many little things that add up to a lot of time. All the electronics and cables take up majority of the time with assembly and testing taking up the 2nd most amount of time. Painting is not that high on the list. Everything is handmade which takes time. There are 37 unique parts in my assembly BOM with a total of 98 pieces. This is a complex mod with lots of pieces and moving parts.

I don't think a kit is going to work as I said some of the time is testing and fine tuning. If I sold them as kits I would have to thoroughly document the assembly process. I'm sure even then I would get lots of phone calls for support. I'd rather complete them here and make sure they are right and everything is working when they leave so it's a plug and play mod.

The price doesn't even include all the R&D and initial investment. I'm not trying to get rich here. I just want to make sure I still feel like doing these 6 months from now if someone wants one. I'm not thinking a drastic price increase. Just enough to cover the additional time I didn't account for initially.

#112 4 years ago

How do you get on the list?

#113 4 years ago
Quoted from twinmice:

How do you get on the list?

I've added you to the list twinmice.

#114 4 years ago

Finally finished building, testing and packing the beta test models. They will be shipping tomorrow. Feels good to get these things done and send them off into the world.

Yours is on top Chad H.
20150628_183525.jpg

Here's an updated photo of what you'll be getting.
20150628_162616.jpg

#115 4 years ago
Quoted from outcida:

Finally finished building, testing and packing the beta test models. They will be shipping tomorrow. Feels good to get these things done and send them off into the world.
Yours is on top Chad H.
20150628_183525.jpg
Here's an updated photo of what you'll be getting.
20150628_162616.jpg

Congrats!

#116 4 years ago

I think I may have to jump on this bandwagon. I'm in the UK Want to drop me a PM?

#117 4 years ago

The beta gates should have been received yesterday. I'm sure with the holiday weekend that we won't hear any feedback until next week. Happy 4th of July to everyone!

#118 4 years ago
Quoted from outcida:

The beta gates should have been received yesterday. I'm sure with the holiday weekend that we won't hear any feedback until next week. Happy 4th of July to everyone!

I received mine just before I headed out of town. I only had time to open the box and take a quick look. From my short inspection, I can say the kit and instructions look first class. The build quality of everything seems top notch. I am looking forward to returning home and getting a chance to install and test the gate.

#119 4 years ago

This is a beautiful mod OP! Folks like you keeping hobby fresh and new!

#120 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

This is a beautiful mod OP! Folks like you keeping hobby fresh and new!

Thanks underlord!

I just received my T-Rex today and I just purchased the new topper. This is going to be one tricked out JP when it's done.

2 weeks later
#121 4 years ago

Things are going well with the beta testing. I have some tweaks and additions to make to the installation instructions and a minor packaging change. I'm just waiting for a couple of the surveys to be filled out before I consider the beta phase complete. I've started production for the components I was confident wouldn't be impacted by the beta testing. Hoping to wrap up beta testing in the next week or so and start shipping the first few production gates by early August. I'll contact those on the wait list when yours is ready to ship.

#122 4 years ago
Quoted from outcida:

Things are going well with the beta testing. I have some tweaks and additions to make to the installation instructions and a minor packaging change. I'm just waiting for a couple of the surveys to be filled out before I consider the beta phase complete. I've started production for the components I was confident wouldn't be impacted by the beta testing. Hoping to wrap up beta testing in the next week or so and start shipping the first few production gates by early August. I'll contact those on the wait list when yours is ready to ship.

I have to say after testing a beta version of this gate mod, it is a very nice addition to JP. It was easy to install and works flawlessly. Even without the gate opening, it is a significant upgrade to the plastic DE used. The flickering lamps for the flame pots is a nice touch, and them being on (as opposed to the 2 original gate that only lit occasionally) is nice. I suck at playing pinball, but even with my lack of skills I can occasionally open the gate, which is a nice reward and gives me something to work toward other than points. This is one of my favorite mods and it really integrates nicely into JP. Thanks Outcida for expending the effort to design and make the mod.

1 week later
#123 4 years ago

OK. So the beta test results are in…

Results:
- There will be a minor change in packaging.
- There will be some clarifications and additional information added to the installation instructions.
- Extensive testing by Chad H revealed some strange anomalies related to when the gate opens. These are due to how the existing gate lamps are controlled by the machine's original design (which is what I use to trigger the new gate) that I was not aware of prior to development and didn't even noticed until extensive testing was done.

During certain modes the game does a random flash sequence and it includes the Gate lamps.

The anomalies are:
1. The gate opens for a short time when 2 Ball Multi-ball is activated. Opens and stays open for 10 seconds.
2. Chad reported that the gate opens for a short time when System Failure is activated. I wasn’t able to replicate that but that’s not to say it doesn’t happen for some.
3. Whenever an Extra Ball is collected at the upper right kick out the gate momentarily opens for 2 seconds (which is not enough time for it to fully open) and then closes.
4. If you’ve earned an extra ball and you drain, the gate will momentarily open for 2 seconds right before the next ball kicks into the shooter lane.
5. During Victory Lap mode every time you make the ramp shot the Gate will fully close and then reopen again.

Scenarios 1 and 2 can't be avoided.

Scenarios 3 and 4 could potentially be resolved with a time delay in the code before the gate opens when falsely triggered but then the gate also has the same time delay when it should be opening on a valid trigger. I personally like it to open right away when it's supposed to so you can watch it while you are waiting for the ball to kick out.
While I'd consider these minor issues that don't detract too much from the overall mod, I believe in full disclosure and you can make your own decision whether or not you still want to purchase the mod. It doesn’t do exactly what I wanted it to do but it’s not a flaw in the mod. Unfortunately that’s how the game was designed and to me it beats scrapping the project.

Thoughts and feedback appreciated.

#124 4 years ago

I say go ahead and when new code is released it can be fixed

#125 4 years ago
Quoted from outcida:

Results:
- There will be some clarifications and additional information added to the installation instructions.
- Extensive testing by Chad H revealed some strange anomalies related to when the gate opens. These are due to how the existing gate lamps are controlled by the machine's original design (which is what I use to trigger the new gate) that I was not aware of prior to development and didn't even noticed until extensive testing was done.
During certain modes the game does a random flash sequence and it includes the Gate lamps.
The anomalies are:
1. The gate opens for a short time when 2 Ball Multi-ball is activated. Opens and stays open for 10 seconds.
2. Chad reported that the gate opens for a short time when System Failure is activated. I wasn’t able to replicate that but that’s not to say it doesn’t happen for some.
3. Whenever an Extra Ball is collected at the upper right kick out the gate momentarily opens for 2 seconds (which is not enough time for it to fully open) and then closes.
4. If you’ve earned an extra ball and you drain, the gate will momentarily open for 2 seconds right before the next ball kicks into the shooter lane.
5. During Victory Lap mode every time you make the ramp shot the Gate will fully close and then reopen again.
Scenarios 3 and 4 could potentially be resolved with a time delay in the code before the gate opens when falsely triggered but then the gate also has the same time delay when it should be opening. I personally like it to open right away when it's supposed to so you can watch it while you are waiting for the ball to kick out.
While I'd consider these minor issues that don't detract too much from the overall mod, I believe in full disclosure and you can make your own decision whether or not you still want to purchase the mod. It doesn’t do exactly what I wanted it to do but it’s not a flaw in the mod. Unfortunately that’s how the game was designed and to me it beats scrapping the project.

Being that you had to retrofit the gate into the game based on a specific lamp flashing, I see no issue with it opening momentarily during the scenarios listed.

#126 4 years ago

I agre with Winteriscoming. I am certainly not an expert, but I also do not see any issues with the momentary opening.

1 week later
#127 4 years ago
Quoted from outcida:

Results:
The anomalies are:
Scenarios 3 and 4 could potentially be resolved with a time delay in the code before the gate opens when falsely triggered but then the gate also has the same time delay when it should be opening on a valid trigger. I personally like it to open right away when it's supposed to so you can watch it while you are waiting for the ball to kick out.

I was playing my JP yesterday and noticed the gate opening in scenarios 3 and 4. It is really a non-issue. I wouldn't do anything to try and stop it, unless you are worried about the extra wear on the servos or something.

#128 4 years ago

I'm not worried about wear on the servos. Thanks for the feedback.

#129 4 years ago

The first 4 production models will be shipping on Monday. I'll be reaching out to the first 4 on the wait list. I have 5 more that will be shipping within the next 2 weeks. Production is SLOW going. So many details...

#130 4 years ago

I wanted to give everyone that's been following this thread and offering compliments and kind words of encouragement one last chance to get this mod at the original price of $250. After 08/31/15 the price will increase to $280. This was a tough decision and I really wanted to keep the price as low as possible but the amount of time that goes into each one of these was greatly underestimated. I'm not looking to make as much as possible here I just need to add a little more to cover my time. I hope you understand and thanks again for the support everyone!

If you've already contacted me to get on the wait list you are locked in at the original price.

#131 4 years ago
Quoted from outcida:

I wanted to give everyone that's been following this thread and offering compliments and kind words of encouragement one last chance to get this mod at the original price of $250. After 08/31/15 the price will increase to $280. This was a tough decision and I really wanted to keep the price as low as possible but the amount of time that goes into each one of these was greatly underestimated. I'm not looking to make as much as possible here I just need to add a little more to cover my time. I hope you understand and thanks again for the support everyone!
If you've already contacted me to get on the wait list you are locked in at the original price.

After seeing the beta test model, I can understand why these take a considerable amount of time to make. They are very nicely engineered and appear to have been professionally built. The price is in line with the quality of the product.

Ross

#132 4 years ago

A little over one week left to get your gate mod at the original price. PM me to get on the list.

#133 4 years ago

Received mine in the mail today! Looks brilliant! Everything was bubble wrapped and secured nicely in the box. The instructions are clear and precise as well as having detailed photographs. Impeccable job on this Tim, great work! The price increase is understandable because the gate is worth it.

1 week later
#134 4 years ago

Only 2 days left. Get your gate mod for $250 before the price increases to $280. Sorry for the bumps if you're tired of seeing this thread but I want to make sure anyone that was following this thread gets an opportunity to buy at the original price before the increase kicks in.

#135 4 years ago

For those that have received and installed... did you all have original boards? I got mine in the mail yesterday, it looks super and I was so excited to start putting it in... but I don't think that I can install it because I've got Rottendog power supply and CPU boards in my JP. There are no test points to clip the mod to, and since I just now got the machine to run correctly with those boards after over a year of issues, I'm not going to solder or permanently mod the boards just to make this mod run. I've PMed outside but it's been a few hours and no response so just thought I'd check here to see if anyone else had ideas or issues with this.

image.jpg

image_1.jpg

#136 4 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

For those that have received and installed... did you all have original boards? I got mine in the mail yesterday, it looks super and I was so excited to start putting it in... but I don't think that I can install it because I've got Rottendog power supply and CPU boards in my JP. There are no test points to clip the mod to, and since I just now got the machine to run correctly with those boards after over a year of issues, I'm not going to solder or permanently mod the boards just to make this mod run. I've PMed outside but it's been a few hours and no response so just thought I'd check here to see if anyone else had ideas or issues with this.

image.jpg image_1.jpg

My suggestion to blondetall was to use the DK powertap. http://www.dkpinball.com/DKWP/?page_id=601

I never thought of those that had both the power supply and CPU boards replaced with aftermarket boards not having a place to tap into power for my mod. The DK power tap is inexpensive ($15.95), easy to install and requires no permanent modifications. It should work with any aftermarket board.

#137 4 years ago

BTW. Today is the last day to get on the list at the $250 price point.

#138 4 years ago
Quoted from outcida:

My suggestion to blondetall was to use the DK powertap. http://www.dkpinball.com/DKWP/?page_id=601
I never thought of those that had both the power supply and CPU boards replaced with aftermarket boards not having a place to tap into power for my mod. The DK power tap is inexpensive ($15.95), easy to install and requires no permanent modifications. It should work with any aftermarket board.

Would an external power supply that plugs into the service outlet be an option or are you tapping both 12v and 5v? Granted, the service outlet is always getting power, so it might be better to wire the external power supply into the game's main switched power wires so that it gets turned off with the game.

#139 4 years ago

You could also just tap in to one of your 12 volt lines off the power supply.

For other machines, I have tapped into the main power switch and installed a switching power supply to power mods. Only turns on when the game is on.

#140 4 years ago

Would an external power supply that plugs into the service outlet be an option or are you tapping both 12v and 5v? Granted, the service outlet is always getting power, so it might be better to wire the external power supply into the game's main switched power wires so that it gets turned off with the game.

I think an external power supply would work. I'm only using the 5V line. You would definitely want to wire it to switch off when the game switches off. My mod already has a built in fuse so it would be protected if you wanted to wire straight into a power supply.

For some odd reason my service outlet is missing. There's a hole for it but no plug.

#141 4 years ago

Just received mine today thanks Tim! The photos really don't do this mod justice at all. It looks so much better for real..

#142 4 years ago

I got mine a little over 3 weeks ago and installed it with no issues (my machine has the factory boards) this mod was easy to install and had great detailed directions and everything was packed very well. This thing is Awesome and looks amazing in my game, well worth the money. I should have posted this sooner but have been really busy.

#143 4 years ago
Quoted from outcida:

Well, I got the power tap today, and it won't work either. They sent a pic (attached below) to prove that it works on the Rottendog board, so I ordered it, but it's not compatible with this mod as-is. You all could probably make it work just fine, but idiot me who is already scared of her machine can't figure out how to get the alligator clips to work with the female connectors hidden inside the white connector thingy at the top. It looks like I need to replace the alligator clips with a plug connector or somehow make a connector piece to fit inside the power tap, and I have neither the knowledge or parts to do either. Trying to clip half the alligator clip inside to touch metal and half outside on plastic doesn't work either, as it just pops off. Sigh.

image.jpg

#144 4 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

Trying to clip half the alligator clip inside to touch metal and half outside on plastic doesn't work either, as it just pops off. Sigh.

Hiya, ChadH forwarded this to me. I'll work with you to get this worked out. I can mail you out a connector and there are a few options you can try.

One is very easy and will make it easy to use the alligator clips.

The other one is moderately harder but will make a better long term connection.

You don't by chance have any .093 connector hardware do you? (Plastic connector or male crimp pins)

If you do, the simple solution would be to take two un-crimped pins and push them into pins 1 and 3 on the DK Pinball power tap. That will give you plenty of metal that you can use to attach the alligator clips.

The better solution would be to cut off the alligator clips and solder / crimp the wires on to the pins, then attach them to the proper .093 molex connector that you'd just plug in to the power tap. This would be a little more clean and stable but either would work.

If you don't have .093 pins or connectors on hand, let me know and I'll drop what you need in the mail.

I can send some pictures out later if this isn't making sense.

#145 4 years ago
Quoted from dkpinball:

Hiya, ChadH forwarded this to me. I'll work with you to get this worked out. I can mail you out a connector and there are a few options you can try.
One is very easy and will make it easy to use the alligator clips.
The other one is moderately harder but will make a better long term connection.
You don't by chance have any .093 connector hardware do you? (Plastic connector or male crimp pins)
If you do, the simple solution would be to take two un-crimped pins and push them into pins 1 and 3 on the DK Pinball power tap. That will give you plenty of metal that you can use to attach the alligator clips.
The better solution would be to cut off the alligator clips and solder / crimp the wires on to the pins, then attach them to the proper .093 molex connector that you'd just plug in to the power tap. This would be a little more clean and stable but either would work.
If you don't have .093 pins or connectors on hand, let me know and I'll drop what you need in the mail.
I can send some pictures out later if this isn't making sense.

If you were going to send her a compatible plug with wires sticking out, maybe butt splice crimp connectors would be a more comfortable solution for her? She could cut the alligator clips off and splice to the connector. While not ideal, they could be crimped with needle nose pliers if she's lacking a crimper.

#146 4 years ago

I really really appreciate everyone's help, but it's installed now and working just fine. (I was sure it would be something simple for you capable guys, but I'm a newbie and stressed to the max these days with family stuff, and this just was too much for my brain and limited electrical knowlege to handle.)

My husband came out of his migraine coma last night to me sitting in the floor by my machine crying, told me to go to bed, and this morning before work showed me that it works 100% now. I honestly don't know exactly what he did, but his wire stripper and the alligator clips were sitting on the machine next to JP so I'm betting he made pins for it somehow. He's very handy with electronics, computers, etc and used to wire home theaters, so he probably found supplies in his stash somewhere. He assured me that it is done properly and correctly and will not blow up. (Power supply capacitor blew up on me once when home alone, smoke everywhere, panic, not fun.)

Again, all you guys are awesome for the help, and it's very much appreciated. Maybe that info will be useful for someone else that has replacement boards and gets this mod.

1 week later
#147 4 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

I really really appreciate everyone's help, but it's installed now and working just fine. (I was sure it would be something simple for you capable guys, but I'm a newbie and stressed to the max these days with family stuff, and this just was too much for my brain and limited electrical knowlege to handle.)
My husband came out of his migraine coma last night to me sitting in the floor by my machine crying, told me to go to bed, and this morning before work showed me that it works 100% now. I honestly don't know exactly what he did, but his wire stripper and the alligator clips were sitting on the machine next to JP so I'm betting he made pins for it somehow. He's very handy with electronics, computers, etc and used to wire home theaters, so he probably found supplies in his stash somewhere. He assured me that it is done properly and correctly and will not blow up. (Power supply capacitor blew up on me once when home alone, smoke everywhere, panic, not fun.)
Again, all you guys are awesome for the help, and it's very much appreciated. Maybe that info will be useful for someone else that has replacement boards and gets this mod.

Glad everything worked out for you blondetall. Hope you're enjoying the mod!

Thanks for your help dkpinball!

1 month later
#148 4 years ago

Just checking in on a update if you have one?

#149 4 years ago

Tim, thanks for the PM. Definitely bookmarked this one; looks awesome.

#150 4 years ago

Quick update:

I've been working on a large batch. I'm about 70 percent done with this run. I got burned out on them for a while and took a break. These things are extremely tedious and consume massive amounts of my free time. I'll be out of the country for the next 2 weeks so hopefully I'll resume production after that. My target at this time is to get some out before Thanksgiving and the rest before Christmas. I'd like to get one to everyone that is currently on the list before the end of the year. Thanks for your patience everyone!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Machine - For Sale
Gap, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Machine - For Sale
Austin, TX
There are 169 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside