(Topic ID: 125874)

Gate Mod for Jurassic Park (Now in stock)

By outcida

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 171 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by edward472
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

124_(resized).JPG
126_(resized).JPG
129_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
Installation_Instructions_Rev_B_08-15-15.pdf (PDF preview)
image.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
20150628_162616.jpg
20150628_183525.jpg
There are 171 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 8 years ago

Is the issue getting usable singals from the lamps? Could an opto-isolator be used? I have never used one. I can imagine how the opto would be treated like a lamp to trigger an input on the microcontroller, but not sure if it's that simple. If you can tell the microcontroller when the lamp is on or off, it should then just come down to logic and timing on what you want your outputs to be.

As for reading from the switch matrix, I'm not sure if that could use an opto-isolator or not.

#52 8 years ago

Very nice work.

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

Maybe this... keep lamps on and flickering, but when the lamp matrix would have lit the gate lamps, trigger the servo animation to open gates for a period, delay, check if still on, keep open if so and close when off. Maybe make it configurable with a dip switch? Lamps always flicker or only flicker when the lamp matrix would be lighting it...

Ok so this is exactly what I'm trying to do now. I can connect a relay to the current gate lamps so I see a dry contact pulse (trigger) every time the lamps flash. I have script that will open the gate with one pulse and close the gates with a second pulse but I need script that can monitor the relay pulses and when it sees the first pulse open the gates and ignore any additional pulses. When no pulses are seen for x amount of time (i.e. the lamps on the gates stop flashing) the gates close.

I know nothing about script or programming and I've been making slow progress through trial and error.

#54 8 years ago

Are you programing in a high level language or assembly? I would think your application could be done in a high level language and it would still be fast enough. I use Microchip PIC Basic a lot, but I think it's restricted to the Microchip line of microcontrollers. I would assume other microcontrollers have similar high level languages. Having said that, I'm no expert and someone much more experienced may step in and school me.

Here's something I made years ago that is driven by servos and accepts input from a button.

A few things to note:
1. If you're doing the opening in just 1 pulse and the closing in just one pulse, I would think you could get a better result by slowing it down slightly and sending the servo several incremented delayed pulses to get to the open position and the close position more gradually. So send first position pulse, wait 100 milliseconds, send the 2nd position pulse, etc.
2. Assuming we're in a high level language, loops and variables are going to be helpful. If we don't want it to be doing something, send it into a different loop until we do want something to be happening, like checking the input. If we want to know how many times something has happened, we increment a variable.

Let's do some pseudo code to work through the logic of it.

We need to first know if the gate lamp is in a flashing condition. That's going to determine everything. If it's flashing, the gate needs to be open, if not, the gate needs to be closed, right? So how do we know it's flashing and didn't just come on once randomly during attract mode? I would think it's a matter of timing and checking that it came on, went off, and came on again within a certain amount of time. That amount of time is the same amount of time we'd use to tell if the flashing has stopped. If the lamp goes off, we want to know that it's completely off for a certain amount of time before we close the gate or we risk closing it in the middle of a blinking sequence.

Timer_Variable as integer
Blink_Variable as integer

Initialize Loop: (initializes variables and sets gate to closed)
Timer_Variable = 0
Blink_Variable =0
Send Gate into Closed position (Pulse Out 1?)
Turn Torches On
Go to Blink Check Loop

Blink Check Loop: (Checks if lamp is blinking over the course of 1000 timer intervals and opens gate if so, if not it initializes variables and starts the check over - Adjust timer variable as needed )
If Input is high then Blink_Variable +1
Timer_Variable +1
If Timer_Variable = 1000 and Blink_Variable > 2 then go to Open Gate Loop.
If Timer_Variable > 1000 then Timer_Variable=0 and Blink_Variable=0
Go to Blink Check Loop

Open Gate Loop: (adjust accordingly for timing and whatever your final pulse position is)
Pulse Out 1.2
Pause 100
Pulse Out 1.4
Pause 100
Pulse Out 1.6
Pause 100
Pulse Out 1.8
Pause 100
Pulse Out 2.0
Blink_Variable=0
Go to Blink Stop Check Loop

Blink Stop Check Loop: (Checks if blinking has stopped over 1000 timer intervals. If so, the gate closes, if not the variables are initialized and the check starts over. Adjust timer as needed.)
If Input is high then Blink_Variable +1
Timer_Variable +1
If Timer_Variable = 1000 and Blink_Variable = 0 then go to Close Gate Loop.
If Timer_Variable > 1000 then Timer_Variable=0 and Blink_Variable=0
Go to Blink Stop Check Loop

Close Gate Loop: (closes gate and sets the program back into the initialize loop to start everything over)
Pulse Out 1.8
Pause 100
Pulse Out 1.6
Pause 100
Pulse Out 1.4
Pause 100
Pulse Out 1.2
Pause 100
Pulse Out 1.0
Go to Initialize Loop

#55 8 years ago

Old Gate
V4.jpgV4.jpg

New Gate
V7 2.jpgV7 2.jpg

#56 8 years ago

Lookin sweet dude

#57 8 years ago

Looks good I would love to see it in person when you have it installed

#58 8 years ago
Quoted from outcida:

Old Gate
V4.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
New Gate
V7 2.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

That's looking much better!

Is the "Jurassic Park" lettering not printing well enough in the 3D print? Is it going to end up being 2d text that's applied later?

#59 8 years ago

Thanks to winteriscoming I finally have the code working properly without having to use the PIG2. The PIG2 is very nice (from the research I've done) for controlling multiple mods or a really complex mod but kind of cost prohibitive for integrating it into a less complicated mod. It would be nice if they could create a basic version that has only one in and one out for less money. Just my opinion.

Operation of the gate will be as follows:
- The flickering torches will be on all the time.
- The gates will open and stay open anytime the lamps on the current gate are flashing (Bone Busting and Victory Laps).
- The gates will close when the lamps stop flashing.

#60 8 years ago

That's looking much better!
Is the "Jurassic Park" lettering not printing well enough in the 3D print? Is it going to end up being 2d text that's applied later?

The text comes out fine on the 3D printer. I have two versions I'll be doing. One will have the text printed separate which may make painting easier and one will have the text printed on the arch.

I thought about using a 2D decal that could be applied but then thought everything else is 3D why take a shortcut on the text.

#61 8 years ago

Looks awesome. Depending on cost I'd love to add one to my JP when they are ready. I know it's early but would it be any cheaper to buy one unpainted?

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from outcida:

Thanks to winteriscoming I finally have the code working properly without having to use the PIG2. The PIG2 is very nice (from the research I've done) for controlling multiple mods or a really complex mod but kind of cost prohibitive for integrating it into a less complicated mod. It would be nice if they could create a basic version that has only one in and one out for less money. Just my opinion.
Operation of the gate will be as follows:
- The flickering torches will be on all the time.
- The gates will open and stay open anytime the lamps on the current gate are flashing (Bone Busting and Victory Laps).
- The gates will close when the lamps stop flashing.

Glad it's working! Post a video when you get a chance.

#63 8 years ago
Quoted from Sijcolo:

Looks good I would love to see it in person when you have it installed

We'll have to get together once it's done. I'd love to play your collection as well sometime.

#64 8 years ago

Come on down anytime. Great job on the mod looks great.

1 week later
#65 8 years ago

Here is the latest version including stepped columns, Jurassic Park text, working gate that comes on with Bone Busting Mode/Victory Lap Mode.

Also includes the surprise I was talking about!
Jungle/Jeep backdrop (final design still needs to be refined) and white LED to light up backdrop when gate opens (you'll notice it go off when the gate is getting ready to close). Watch the video at the bottom!

Upper playfield picture:
20150523_135734.jpg20150523_135734.jpg

Up close picture:
20150523_135645.jpg20150523_135645.jpg

Video of Gate in action (The LEDs in the game wash out the video a little bit, looks much better in person):

#66 8 years ago

Wow! way cool! Great job!!!

#67 8 years ago

How much and where do I send my money? Awesome mod!

#68 8 years ago

Awesome! You've got me wanting one of yours instead of making my own.

I like the idea of the picture, but I'm thinking it might be better integrated into the game if the image is illustrated in a similar style to the image along the back of the playfield.

#69 8 years ago

Great job awesome mod.

#70 8 years ago

When can we order I'm ready now

#71 8 years ago

Please let us know when we can order. Great job

#72 8 years ago

The surprise is awesome but I think it would be cool to have a few options. The jeep, roaring t-Rex, leaping raptor or I guess a print your own.

#73 8 years ago

Fantastic! I think the picture looks great!!

1 week later
#74 8 years ago

Update: So I've had some struggles as of late with the electronics and working out some bugs in the code. I have all that taken care of now. I've finalized my design, my BOM is finalized and I have a good idea how long things will take to assemble. I have the build process down to 6 hours from start to finish. There are a ton of small details involved in the build.

I've come up with a price. I'll be charging $250 which will include shipping to the continental US. International shipments will be more to cover shipping. I haven't quite figured that out yet.

I'll be looking for candidates for some beta testing and feedback. Send me a PM if you're interested.

#75 8 years ago

Congrats on getting to this point and good luck going forward. I'm sure you'll have many interested buyers at that price.

#76 8 years ago

i could test in fort collins for you but my jp is not working at the moment

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

i could test in fort collins for you but my jp is not working at the moment

I remember you contacted me about helping you fix your game. I can try to help once I get these gates out for beta testing. I'm not an expert troubleshooting boards as it takes me a while along with lots of research but I've been able to fix just about anything I've come across.

#78 8 years ago

I've selected the 4 beta testers I'll be working with so beta testing is closed for the time being. I should have the test gates assembled, tested and ready to ship in the next 6-7 days hopefully. If the feedback is positive and minimal changes are required I should have these ready for production shortly after the testing is completed.

One thing I'm debating on is the placement of the extra bulb that comes on when the gate is triggered to open. The circuit can either light a bulb in the arch that can illuminate the picture I showed in the video or it can light a spotlight that will shed some light on the front of the gate (similar to the spotlight mod on white water)

I'll post some video of both options in my machine later this week.

What do you guys think?

#79 8 years ago

Video with the spotlight that comes on when the gate opens and turns off when it closes.

#80 8 years ago

Looking great

#81 8 years ago

That is BRILLIANT!

#82 8 years ago

Very nice!

#83 8 years ago

i like the spot light idea!

#84 8 years ago

Yeah, light on the door is cool! Now you need the T-Rex mod....

#85 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Yeah, light on the door is cool! Now you need the T-Rex mod....

I doubt that guy is ever going to get those t-rexes made...

Quoted from outcida:

Video with the spotlight that comes on when the gate opens and turns off when it closes.
» YouTube video

I like it. Do you think you'll make it user-configurable? Like have the option for the picture and bulb to illuminate it, or mount the bulb in the arch?

I look forward to getting one in my game.

#86 8 years ago

I doubt that guy is ever going to get those t-rexes made...

I like it. Do you think you'll make it user-configurable? Like have the option for the picture and bulb to illuminate it, or mount the bulb in the arch?
I look forward to getting one in my game.

I'll have to give that some thought as the two options use different parts. One is a lamp socket mounted in the arch aimed at the photo, led bulb, mounting bracket for the photo and the photo itself. It would use the same connector to plug into the controller board.

The other is a spotlight dish, lamp socket super bright LED and connector. No photo and no photo bracket. By the way the latest video is not using a super bright LED bulb. I'm looking for something that will be brighter so it really gets your attention that the gate is opening.

The spotlight lamp mounts on the plastics above the pops and below the T-Rex "food dish". lol

#87 8 years ago

Thanks to Bleacher Bum's request I'll be starting a waiting list so I can keep ahead of production and part lead-times once the beta test period is over.

As I mentioned before there are a lot of hours that goes into one of these so it will take some time to get them to anyone that wants one. I don't know how many hours a week I can actually dedicate to production as I have a full time job, a family, and I'd still like to play some pinball once in a while! I'm guessing I'll be putting them out at a rate of 1-2 a week hopefully.

I'm not taking deposits or pre-orders. I just want to get an idea how many are on board. Send me a PM if you want on the list.

Those that contact me will be entered in the order I receive them and I will respond back as soon as possible with your number.

Thanks for all the support and kind words!

#88 8 years ago

Picture of the vertical planks in the doors. This is the first of the beta test models.

My 3D printer guy ran out of filament so it will take a little longer to get the rest of the beta models done.

20150607_141533.jpg20150607_141533.jpg

#89 8 years ago

Looks Awesome.

#90 8 years ago

In the process of documenting the mod I've come to the conclusion that the end user will have a couple of different configuration options in regards to lighting.

I intended the torch LEDs to be on all the time and the spotlight lamp to come on when the gate is triggered to open. By swapping the 2 connections you can make the spotlight stay on all the time (or just leave it disconnected if you don't want a spotlight) and have the torches come on only when the gate is triggered to open.

Sharpening my pencil to reduce my BOM cost I was able to find enough margin to include both the spotlight lamp and the arch lamp and background photo/bracket so the end user also has the choice of having either lighting option. I may also be able to include a splitter so you can have both the arch LED and the spotlight lamp on at the same time but I still need to test this last option.

#91 8 years ago

nice work, looks great

#92 8 years ago

Thanks to PinMister anyone at the Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown this weekend will be able to check out the gate in person! It will have the spotlight option and the backdrop but unfortunately the backdrop lighting will not be available as the bracket I was working on this evening had to be scrapped.

#93 8 years ago

Congrats. Hope it gets some good attention there. Shows are good for stress testing, too.

#94 8 years ago

Neato burrito! Sign me up for one.

#95 8 years ago

question

I love JP

what happens in Tri-Ball ? - Will the Gate Stay Open?

Can the gate take a Ball Hit without damage?

Do you need Universal Permission for the Logo ?

I have had some Mod ideas on my brain and always wondering the license aspect

Looks Awesome !!!

#96 8 years ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

question
I love JP
Can the gate take a Ball Hit without damage?
Do you need Universal Permission for the Logo ?
I have had some Mod ideas on my brain and always wondering the license aspect
Looks Awesome !!!

the gate sits above the ramp so the ball never comes in contact with it. (as far as i can tell)

#97 8 years ago

So after installing the gate into pinmister's JP at the show guess who walks over... Jersey Jack.

I over heard him telling another guy that he liked it and that he would have been happy if they would have done something like that for one of his games. That was the highlight of this project for me! So cool to have someone so innovative have good things to say about my work.

I also saw Kaytee and Charlie from Spooky pinball this morning. I was going to ask Charlie to take a look but they were trying to get to breakfast.

I'll be at the show on Sat. Can't wait to play AMH, Kiss, Hobbit and a few others!

Oh yea, installation took about 20 minutes and everything worked right out of the shoot. Received quite a few compliments. Always nice to hear.

#98 8 years ago

That is so cool! very nice work. Makes me want to buy JP even more now!

#99 8 years ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

I believe the gate will open whenever the lamps on the gate are flashing. This means it will open during Bone Busting mode and during Victory mode.

Hmmm... it would be cool if the gate also opened when the Jackpot insert in front of the ramp is lit... or even when the "O" insert (from CHAOS) in front of the ramp is lit.

#100 8 years ago

So the results are in. 630 plays in 3 days and 0 issues reported. It was so cool to be able to show off the mod to Charlie from Spooky Pinball, Greg Freres, Rob Anthony (Lock When Lit) and Tim Mezel (Mezelmods). Everyone had lots of nice things to say about it.

Quoted from ChadH:

I believe the gate will open whenever the lamps on the gate are flashing. This means it will open during Bone Busting mode and during Victory mode.
Hmmm... it would be cool if the gate also opened when the Jackpot insert in front of the ramp is lit... or even when the "O" insert (from CHAOS) in front of the ramp is lit.

I might be able to open the gates for jackpot. I don't know if I would want to do it for the O in chaos. It just keeps making the mod more complicated for installation. I'll have to do some testing.

I just received enough gates from the 3D printer to finish building the beta models. Those should be completed by this weekend and hopefully ship on Monday or Tuesday next week.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 18.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 171 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-jp-gate-mod/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.