(Topic ID: 125874)

Gate Mod for Jurassic Park (Now in stock)

By outcida

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 171 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by edward472
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

124_(resized).JPG
126_(resized).JPG
129_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
Installation_Instructions_Rev_B_08-15-15.pdf (PDF preview)
image.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
20150628_162616.jpg
20150628_183525.jpg
There are 171 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 8 years ago

08/14/15 Update:

BETA TESTING IS DONE!!! These are now in production (slowly) and shipping.

This is a 6 piece mod that comes with the following hardware: Gate, main power cable, Spot lamp w/cable, splitter cable Backdrop bracket w/lighting and movie photo and fused main circuit board that includes all the circuitry and software.

Now taking names for the wait list. Price is $280 and it includes shipping in the continental US.

International buyers will incur additional pass through shipping charges.

Video of the final beta test model in action.

Latest rev. 06/07/15
20150607_141533.jpg20150607_141533.jpg

I saw through reading the forums that there was a demand for a better Jurassic Park gate. Obviously others have seen that as well and congrats to goodtobedad on his version! It looks wayyy better than the original! I've also seen recently that Mezel Mods is working on something.

My thought process is 1) Just complete what I've been working on and when it's ready let everyone see it. 2) I don't want to steal anyone's thunder but at the same time when I do get mine completed I don't want people to think I stole the idea from others. 3) Do I just let my hard work go down the drain because someone came out with it first? 4) My version brings something new to the table so people can have options.

I've been working on my mod for the last 4-5 months and have spent countless hours and quite a bit of money in development so I figured what the hell. Here you go.

My mod has flickering torches and the gates are functional. I'm still working out some of the small details (JP logo, final wiring connections, documentation, and improving the final version for durability and reliability) and I figure it will be ready in about 3-4 weeks at most. I'll have a demo video of the fully functional (close to final) version in the next few days. For now you can see the crude prototype working in the video below.

This video shows the flickering torch test.

My mod will not be inexpensive as my BOM cost is already more than goodtobedad's version and it's time consuming to manufacturer. Let me know what you think. Ideas for improvement are also welcome.

Progress.jpgProgress.jpg
Final version mock up.jpgFinal version mock up.jpg

#2 8 years ago

That thing is sweet

#3 8 years ago

I remember when I was working on my Helen mod for ACDC, and right in the middle of it Stern announced Luci. Killed me, because it was gonna look like I was ripping them off. I almost just trashed the whole project.

Then I decided I'd done the work, and to not worry about what anyone else was doing. You should do the same. Clearly you've been doing your own thing, take it to the conclusion, it looks really nice.

#4 8 years ago

How much

#5 8 years ago

Dang you guys are talented! That mod is freaking sweet!!!

#6 8 years ago

Thanks for the encouraging words Aurich. I'll keep pushing on. Thanks for the compliments guys! I think it's going to be awesome when it's done.

#7 8 years ago

Nice!

What are you thinking as far as what will trigger the gate to open/close?

Will you tie in the lamps to the regular gate lamps?

#8 8 years ago

Hey Chad! I'm thinking of using a motion sensor that will see the ball coming and open the gate right before the ball hits the ramp. I'm waiting on a couple of sensors to come in so I can test. If that doesn't work I was thinking of possibly using the ramp switch but I'm not sure if that will interfere with the switches normal triggering for the game. If none of the above work I'll probably add another micro switch next to the existing one and dedicate that to opening the gate.

My JP is down right now for a much needed shop job so I can't remember if the lights on top (with the red rubbers) only come on at certain times or if they're on all the time.

I would think everyone would want all the torches on all the time but if not I'm open to suggestions.

#9 8 years ago

If I end up taking a stab at making my own gate (won't plan to sell), I was thinking of using a PIG2 since it can drive a servo and sense the game's switches.

#10 8 years ago

Personally, I think trying to link it to the ramp switch or motion sensor is not the best idea. The ball will be long past the ramp by the time the gate opens and you'll have a million false positives on a motion sensor. I'm thinking ideally you'd want it to open when you want to hit the ramp - bone busting, jackpot, etc. Obviously, that seems to be a bit of a code integration issue, unless you could tie it to the insert lights somehow (then there's attract mode issues?). Otherwise even something like open after starting a game and closing at game over ("The park is closed!") would be cool.

#11 8 years ago

Another cool gate mod, like the doors functionality. I have not figured out our servo operations yet.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

open after starting a game and closing at game over

Agree with this - I'm a huge fan of overcomplicated things for the sake of overcomplicated things, but this makes the most sense in my head.

#13 8 years ago

nice work outcida, I have been asked to create these gate mods just recently but looks like you are on to it - and very nice work.

my understanding is the lights on top only come on during 2 modes so a bit of a wait, so I was going to link to the ramp switch to activate lighting which you could also link to the gates.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

If I end up taking a stab at making my own gate (won't plan to sell), I was thinking of using a PIG2 since it can drive a servo and sense the game's switches.

I'm using a microcontroller that can do that as well. It's just not a PIG2. I can't wait for your T-Rex, Chad's code (hopefully) and a better gate. JP is going to be an awesome game!

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Otherwise even something like open after starting a game and closing at game over ("The park is closed!") would be cool.

Quoted from bajapanda:

Agree with this - I'm a huge fan of overcomplicated things for the sake of overcomplicated things, but this makes the most sense in my head.

That would be interesting. I'll look into it.

#16 8 years ago

I agree, gate on start of a game and close at the end would be fine. If it did it every time you hit that ramp that may get a little repetitive and put more strain on the mechanism than needed. Now if it opened during bone busting and closed when that mode ended, THAT would be next level.

To answer your question in case some one did not, the lights turn on during bone busting when you have to hit the ramp 3 times in a row. That is the only time they come on as far as I know.

#17 8 years ago

I wonder if there is room for 2 gates on JP...

#18 8 years ago

I think the gate lights also flash for victory laps after you achieve a replay.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from outcida:

I'm using a microcontroller that can do that as well. It's just not a PIG2. I can't wait for your T-Rex, Chad's code (hopefully) and a better gate. JP is going to be an awesome game!

I've done microcontroller projects from scratch, but am not sure how to tap into the switch or lamp matrix to sense existing switches. Have you figured something out for that? It could be a matter of sensing the gate switch to trigger whatever you need the servo to do and ignore further switch hits during that time.

#20 8 years ago

What about if the gate was closed during attract mode and slowly opened during the intro sequence "welcome to Jurassic park" and then closed at the end of the game.

#21 8 years ago

I've done microcontroller projects from scratch, but am not sure how to tap into the switch or lamp matrix to sense existing switches. Have you figured something out for that? It could be a matter of sensing the gate switch to trigger whatever you need the servo to do and ignore further switch hits during that time.

Honestly to this point I've been focused on the functionality and design of the gate. I haven't gotten to the trigger point integration yet. That's why it's nice to have the feedback of how people would like to see it operate. Not everything that's been suggested is possible and there are definitely limitations. The first thing that comes to mind is I could use a 6VAC relay that gets powered by one of the lamps. When triggered that would give me a dry contact to trigger my servo logic. Why is it that you would use a PIG2 in particular? I'm not familiar with that device.

#22 8 years ago

So does everyone think the torches should stay on all the time or should they only come on at certain times?

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from outcida:

So does everyone think the torches should stay on all the time or should they only come on at certain times?

Id go flicker on all the time. Looks great well played!

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Id go flicker on all the time. Looks great well played!

I'd agree. No reason to have them if you're not using them.

In fact... If the original lights are only on at certain times, maybe you can use that logic for the door opening!

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from outcida:

Honestly to this point I've been focused on the functionality and design of the gate. I haven't gotten to the trigger point integration yet. That's why it's nice to have the feedback of how people would like to see it operate. Not everything that's been suggested is possible and there are definitely limitations. The first thing that comes to mind is I could use a 6VDC relay that gets powered by one of the lamps. When triggered that would give me a dry contact to trigger my servo logic. Why is it that you would use a PIG2 in particular? I'm not familiar with that device.

PIG2 is the only product I've come across meant for driving pinball mods with integration into the lamp and switch matrix. I have no experience with one, but what I've read makes me think it would be well suited for driving the servo and torch lamps on a gate mod. Probably could go cheaper with a diy circuit if you could figure it all out. Basically, I think the microcontroller needs to be independently powered and just take inputs from a combination of switches and lamps. For example if the gate light from the lamp matrix is on and the ramp switch is hit, maybe the gate opens for 30 seconds and the flames flicker (though only as long as the lamp matrix indicates) and inputs are ignored during this time. From what I gather, a PIG2 could potentially be configured and programmed to do this.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

In fact... If the original lights are only on at certain times, maybe you can use that logic for the door opening!

Maybe this... keep lamps on and flickering, but when the lamp matrix would have lit the gate lamps, trigger the servo animation to open gates for a period, delay, check if still on, keep open if so and close when off. Maybe make it configurable with a dip switch? Lamps always flicker or only flicker when the lamp matrix would be lighting it...

#27 8 years ago

Nice! Once I get a JP, I'll probably be adding something like this.

Side note. It's funny how your memory can trick you. After playing this machine a lot when it was new, over the years my mind kept thinking that the gate was interactive. And after 20 years, I finally got to play one again, and was shocked to see that the gate didn't actually open. I could have sworn it was closed, and wouldn't allow balls up the ramp until you opened it. Much like how the bank vault works on Monopoly. All these years I thought I played the game that way, and after playing JP recently, I had to look it up to see if there ever was a version that opened the gates.

Funny how you can trick yourself into believing something.

#29 8 years ago

looks good, nice work

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

aaaaaand done. lol.

nice work man this looks awesome.

#31 8 years ago

Beautiful!! I've thought of making something very similar. What type of lights are you using?

#32 8 years ago

Keep in mind that hidden directly behind the gate is a spotlight. So if you want to have a gate opening up to show the ramp, then you are probably going to want to remove/relocate the spot light as well.

#33 8 years ago

More progress...

I just put the gate on a loop to open and close. It will not behave this way in the game. I'm still working out the details of how and when it will trigger. Hopefully I can get my JP back together this weekend (may be tough because it's my wife's birthday weekend) and start working on the integration into the game.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Keep in mind that hidden directly behind the gate is a spotlight. So if you want to have a gate opening up to show the ramp, then you are probably going to want to remove/relocate the spot light as well.

Good point Chad. Hopefully the mounting solution I have in my head will work out. Again I can't try anything until I get my game back together.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from JBK:

Beautiful!! I've thought of making something very similar. What type of lights are you using?

They are just flickering LEDs.

#36 8 years ago

Maybe this... keep lamps on and flickering, but when the lamp matrix would have lit the gate lamps, trigger the servo animation to open gates for a period, delay, check if still on, keep open if so and close when off. Maybe make it configurable with a dip switch? Lamps always flicker or only flicker when the lamp matrix would be lighting it...

I looked at the PIG2. That's a nice piece of hardware but it's pricy for a mod. I'm not sure that people would be willing to pay as much as I would have to charge to incorporate that along with the parts and labor cost.

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from outcida:

I looked at the PIG2. That's a nice piece of hardware but it's pricy for a mod. I'm not sure that people would be willing to pay as much as I would have to charge to incorporate that along with the parts and labor cost.

If you make the right mod that's well integrated, people will pay what it's worth.

In my opinion the gate should open outward. Doesn't it do that in the movie? Would it be to difficult to change now?

Are we seeing an early prototype? How flexible are you on aesthetic changes at this point? I have some feedback I can give (privately if desired). I found posting the stages of the t-rex mod to be beneficial so I could best gauge if I'm meeting expectations, but sometimes it can get overwhelming. Hang in there.

#38 8 years ago

I like it opening inward fwiw. Also hides the mechanism that way.

#39 8 years ago

If you make the right mod that's well integrated, people will pay what it's worth.
In my opinion the gate should open outward. Doesn't it do that in the movie? Would it be to difficult to change now?
Are we seeing an early prototype? How flexible are you on aesthetic changes at this point? I have some feedback I can give (privately if desired). I found posting the stages of the t-rex mod to be beneficial so I could best gauge if I'm meeting expectations, but sometimes it can get overwhelming. Hang in there.

Yea the one in the movie opens inward like I have it.

I'm definitely open to feedback. I'd say post it public so we can get others opinions on things as well unless you feel posting it private would be better. I hear you on the right mod that's well integrated thing. Hell, I'm willing to pay $400 for a T-Rex... I saw how you posted progress as I followed it intently! I still do every time I see a new post to your thread. I thought that was great for people have input in the process.

This is a prototype but it's getting fairly close to the final version. At this point it won't look much different than this other than having the Jurassic Park letters and possibly a 3D printed flame in place of the laser jet printed flame I have now.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from outcida:

Yea the one in the movie opens inward like I have it.

You're totally right! I don't know why I was remembering it differently... Ignore my comment about that. You're good to go there.

Quoted from outcida:

I'm definitely open to feedback. I'd say post it public so we can get others opinions on things as well unless you feel posting it private would be better.

Well the only thing I can think to mention is that the movie version of the gate seems to have a stepped structure. You can see in the still of the video you posted above. One of the steps ends right at the top of the wooden gate. The 2nd set of flames from the top are right above the divide. I think the original gate plastic captures this, though with the trees in the way of the one in the movie, it's hard to tell if it's 3 steps or just 2.

#41 8 years ago

PIG2 is the only product I've come across meant for driving pinball mods with integration into the lamp and switch matrix. I have no experience with one, but what I've read makes me think it would be well suited for driving the servo and torch lamps on a gate mod. Probably could go cheaper with a diy circuit if you could figure it all out. Basically, I think the microcontroller needs to be independently powered and just take inputs from a combination of switches and lamps. For example if the gate light from the lamp matrix is on and the ramp switch is hit, maybe the gate opens for 30 seconds and the flames flicker (though only as long as the lamp matrix indicates) and inputs are ignored during this time. From what I gather, a PIG2 could potentially be configured and programmed to do this.

Here is an example of the power of the PIG 2...

The problem with the lamps on the JP gate are that they are off all the time. The only time they ever come on is to flash with Bone Busting mode and with Victory mode. Other than that, they are off. Even in attract mode, they stay off.

Here's where the PIG 2 comes in. The PIG is highly customizable. One of the functions it can do is "invert" an output. This means that when something is on, it is inverted to be off... and when something is off, it is inverted to be on.

This is PERFECT for the JP gate lamps. Now, instead of the lamps always being off, they are on... and when the Bone Busting or Victory mode are played, they flash off and on (instead of on and off, but same result).

And this is just using one of the INs and one of the OUTs of the PIG 2. There are three more INs and three more OUTs plus two servo controllers (perfect for controlling the door) for other mods.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing this gate mod come to completion. Keep us updated.

#42 8 years ago

Well the only thing I can think to mention is that the movie version of the gate seems to have a stepped structure. You can see in the still of the video you posted above. One of the steps ends right at the top of the wooden gate. The 2nd set of flames from the top are right above the divide. I think the original gate plastic captures this, though with the trees in the way of the one in the movie, it's hard to tell if it's 3 steps or just 2.

I agree - the steps would look good.

#43 8 years ago

it's hard to tell if it's 3 steps or just 2.

I watched the clip again, and when the camera is looking down on the gate, you can tell it's 3. It looks like the first step ends right above the lowest torch. It looks like the original gate plastic captures this, but I don't think the angles of the steps are accurate.

Is your gate 3D printed? I guess while I'm mentioning my wish list on what an ideal gate mod would contain, I'd also suggest adding more detail to the wood doors if possible. The movie version shows vertical planks as well.

#44 8 years ago

I agree with the gates in that it needs that plank look and fairly easy to achieve, simple draw in a few impressions whether straight or curved to simulate end grain and timber splits etc.

Below is what I did for the AC/DC bell mod blocks.

158884-i.jpeg158884-i.jpeg
#45 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Here is an example of the power of the PIG 2...
The problem with the lamps on the JP gate are that they are off all the time. The only time they ever come on is to flash with Bone Busting mode and with Victory mode. Other than that, they are off. Even in attract mode, they stay off.
Here's where the PIG 2 comes in. The PIG is highly customizable. One of the functions it can do is "invert" an output. This means that when something is on, it is inverted to be off... and when something is off, it is inverted to be on.
This is PERFECT for the JP gate lamps. Now, instead of the lamps always being off, they are on... and when the Bone Busting or Victory mode are played, they flash off and on (instead of on and off, but same result).
And this is just using one of the INs and one of the OUTs of the PIG 2. There are three more INs and three more OUTs plus two servo controllers (perfect for controlling the door) for other mods.
I'm very much looking forward to seeing this gate mod come to completion. Keep us updated.

Assuming the logic of the servo controls are pretty customizable based on inputs the PIG2 receives, and assuming the torches are inverted from what the torch lamps would be doing, maybe the gate should open when the lamp matrix indicates ON, ignoring inputs for the duration of opening, it checks for flashing and only once the lamp is enirely OFF does the gate close. So basically when the torch lamps would be flashing is when the gate is open to indicate that the ramp should be hit. However, maybe it could also trigger the gate with the red arrow insert lamp in front of the ramp, because do the torch lamps light during the beginning of tri-ball?

#46 8 years ago

I didn't make the progress I wanted to this weekend with shopping out the JP. Damn birthdays.

Well the only thing I can think to mention is that the movie version of the gate seems to have a stepped structure.

My original design had the 3 stepped columns. The 3D designer I'm using changed it to what it currently is. I should be able to make the next rev with the stepped columns pretty easily.

Is your gate 3D printed?

Yes it's 3D printed.

Quoted from swinks:

I agree with the gates in that it needs that plank look and fairly easy to achieve, simple draw in a few impressions whether straight or curved to simulate end grain and timber splits etc.
Below is what I did for the AC/DC bell mod blocks.

I like those! Is the wood grain 3D printed or is it painted on?

Appreciate the logic conversation ChadH and winteriscoming. It's going to make the integration that much easier when I get to that point. Definitely giving me some things to think about.

One question Chad. Do you know of any lamp that is triggered consistently when Bone Busting mode and Victory mode are done?

Thanks for the input everyone!

#47 8 years ago

yes all 3D printed copper coloured filament, then recess pattern in the side and end grain for the timber look, then a timber looking brown paint brushed into the cracks to add to the realism.

#48 8 years ago

I played a few games the other day specifically watching the gate lights but they were all terrible because I was constantly looking at the gate lights ☺! I didn't notice any lights that are fully on during those modes that wouldn't be at many other times in the game. I did notice that the gate lights flash briefly when you pickup an extra ball via the dock shot though.

#49 8 years ago

During "Bone Busting" mode it stays on requiring you to constantly hit the ramp.

1 week later
#50 8 years ago

Update: I got my JP all shopped out (she sure does look purdy) and was able to test fit my prototype. Everything fit!!! I'm on to the next phase with the stepped structure and maybe some wood grain on the doors.

I'm struggling with programming code into my servo controller board. I'm trying to see if I can use my current hardware to open the gates during Bone Busting mode and Victory mode and then close when those modes are not active. I'm getting closer but if anyone knows anything about code please PM me. Worst case, I go to the PIG2 charge more and be done with it.

I'll post more pictures and/or video soon. I also have one little surprise up my sleeve that should be a nice addition and take the mod up a notch. Stay tuned.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

There are 171 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-jp-gate-mod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.