Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

JetSpinAddPlayer_(resized).jpg
Jet_Spin_Schematic001_1_(resized).jpg
Jet_Spin_Schematic002_1_(resized).jpg
Jet_Spin_Schematic003_1_(resized).jpg
Jet_Spin_Schematic004_1_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

Just helped my friend add a Gottlieb Jet Spin to his collection. Game hadn't been played in 20 years but is VERY clean and fired right up. Game resets and seems to score correctly including bonus countdown, same player shoots, specials, etc.

However, it will not advance past player 1 ball 1. I looked at the other recent posts on this issue and did identify that there was no issue with the trough switch and that the Bx relay energizes and latches (although it was sticking a little at first). Now the problem seems to be that the player unit is just not energizing after the ball drains. I know the coil on the unit works since it resets when you hit the credit button.

When I manually trigger the player unit, it advances correctly to ball 2, ball 3 etc. It will also advance correctly for multi-player games (e.g. player 1, ball 1, player 2, ball 1, etc.).

We have ordered a schematic from PBR (admit my schematic reading skills are only OK) and are waiting for that plus play field rubbers (the current ones were like dry twigs!).

My initial thought was it might be a mis-adjusted switch on the Bx or 'First Ball' relay but I don't want to simply guess at it.

Any help/direction is appreciated.

Thanks -

#2 8 years ago

BX is usually the Last Ball relay, not the First Ball relay (which instead is usually DX). So if BX is energizing and latching, then that's going to prevent the Add Player Unit path from working.

Try unlatching BX instead.

#3 8 years ago

DirtFlipper -

I got you. Not in front of the game right now, but I think that when we hit the credit button, the Bx relay WAS energizing and latching. I will have to confirm that and then try unlatching the Bx relay.

I will report back once I get over to look at it again (probably the end of the week).

Thanks -

2 weeks later
#4 8 years ago

To any who can help...........

Finally got back to my friends Jet Spin last night and still can't figure out what is (not) happening. Game coins up, resets, plays to player 1 - ball 1 and all scoring features work correctly. Just won't advance to ball 2.

Here's what I observed:

When turning on power:
> Q (Game Over) and U (1st ball relay) power on

When pressing start button (with credits available):
> Coin Unit resets
> Q and U relays power off
> S (start relay) and V (Replay button relay) powers on
> AX (reset completed relay) powers on - holds - then goes off

When the trough switch is made:
> P (player unit relay) turns on

A few other notes:

I looked and didn't see any obvious broken wires or major arcs coming from the scoring motor.

The solenoid for the player unit works (it resets on startup) and when you manually trigger it, it will advance through players and balls

I now have the schematic and can scan and upload it if someone wants to review it (this is my Achilles heel when it comes to repair, just not that good at following them).

Thanks in advance for any help. Frustrating as I am the main 'tech' for my friend (actually Pastor at my Church) and I'm guessing this probably one switch or connection that is not being made. Also, since it's not at my house, I can't just walk down to the basement and stare at it for awhile which is one of my primary approaches to my games!

Thanks to all for any help.....

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from heatwave:

To any who can help...........
When turning on power:
> Q (Game Over) and U (1st ball relay) power on
When pressing start button (with credits available):
> Coin Unit resets
> S (start relay) and V (Replay button relay) powers on
> AX (reset completed relay) powers on - holds - then goes off
When the trough switch is made:
> P (player unit relay) turns on

Before you switch the trough switch, make some point. This will activate the U relay. If not, the banks will not reset and the player unit will not step.

1 week later
#6 8 years ago

BUMP +

I know everyone is busy over the holidays.

Any guidance is appreciated. I always make sure I make some points before hitting trough switch so I don't think that is it.

Frustrating because I have a sense this is most likely an easy fix (since everything else seems to work), I'm just not seeing it.

Thanks again for all and any help.

Greg

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from heatwave:

U needs to energize again after points are made, and there's a switch there that needs to close and be making contact there when it does.

And the Last Ball relay needs to be unlatched, and a switch opened on it.

So even though it scored some points before hitting the ball trough switch, have both the U and the Last Ball (BX) been completely checked. Is the U relay energizing again and that switch providing continuity? Is BX unlatched and that switch definitely open?

#8 8 years ago

DirtFlipper -

Thanks, I will look at all this when I get back over to my friends house next week.

Currently 'stranded' because of all the flooding here in SW St Louis!

1 week later
#9 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

U needs to energize again after points are made, and there's a switch there that needs to close and be making contact there when it does.

And the Last Ball relay needs to be unlatched, and a switch opened on it.

So even though it scored some points before hitting the ball trough switch, have both the U and the Last Ball (BX) been completely checked. Is the U relay energizing again and that switch providing continuity? Is BX unlatched and that switch definitely open?

DirtFlipper - (and any others that can help).

Had a chance to make it back to my friends house and look at Jet Spin again.

Per your (and other) posts:

- The Last Ball relay (BX) is definitely unlatched (and I filed and checked the operation of all the switches in the relay). All seems normal.

- The First Ball relay (U) is energized again after points are made (and I filed and checked operation of all the switches in the relay).

STILL NOTHING in terms of advancing to ball 2.

Additionally....

When the outhole switch is made, the Ball Return relay (O) is energized (I filed and checked operation of all these switches)

When the trough switch is made, the Add Player Unit Relay (P) is energized (I filed and checked operation of all these switches).

STILL NOTHING in terms of advancing to ball 2.

In hopes of some further direction (which I VERY much appreciate) - here is the schematic for the game. Really don't know where to check next. As I said, very frustrating as the game is SUPER clean and plays very well outside of this!

As always, thanks for any help.

Jet_Spin_Schematic004_1_(resized).jpgJet_Spin_Schematic004_1_(resized).jpg

Jet_Spin_Schematic003_1_(resized).jpgJet_Spin_Schematic003_1_(resized).jpg

Jet_Spin_Schematic002_1_(resized).jpgJet_Spin_Schematic002_1_(resized).jpg

Jet_Spin_Schematic001_1_(resized).jpgJet_Spin_Schematic001_1_(resized).jpg

#10 8 years ago

So here's the path to focus on, highlighted in yellow:
Jet Spin Add Player pathJet Spin Add Player path

If the Player Unit is resetting OK, then the motor 1A, Z1, and Z2 switches must be working (because that portion is in common with reset and advancing to next ball/player).

For now, let's assume that U, BX and P all checked out, and aren't suspects.

So that leaves the switch at motor position 2C, and the normally closed switch on G as the remaining suspects. This path has to complete to get the first step of the Player Unit, and then the next three come via the switches on the Player Unit and Coin Unit. But since it's not stepping at all, motor 2C or G are the ones to check.

I'd guess motor 2C.

#11 8 years ago

DirtFlipper -

Thanks. I'm heading back over to my friends tomorrow and will check all this out. I will report back! Really appreciate the help.

#14 8 years ago

Yes! (not sure why my other reply didnt' come through)

As you thought, it was a switch at Motor 2C. The gap had become a little too large so I adjusted that, gave it a quick file and it worked perfectly.

Can't thank you enough + thanks from my pastor! Really appreciated all the help.

Definitely a fun game, a lot of different shots.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-jet-spin-with-first-ball-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.