(Topic ID: 146417)

Another Gottlieb Baseball question...score motor "delayed".

By DPhillips1965

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo.jpg
photo.jpg
photo_2.jpg
photo_2_3.jpg
photo_2_2.jpg
photo_1_3.jpg
photo_1.jpg
photo_1_2.jpg
BaseballSection.jpg
IMG_4520.jpg
photo.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dphillips1965.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I'll tell ya, when I get somethig working correctly it seems I screw up a few things (that worked fine before) in the process.
The latest..
When tripping the "single" "double" "triple" or "home run" PF switches the appropriate relay engages and stays energized...then nothing. The score motor should turn to do it's thing but doesn't.

No points, chimes, etc for these features until I either...
1) manually give the score motor a slight turn...then it spins, awards and resets the relays...all good.
2) Drain the ball ( engage the PF switch) .... score motor turns and all is well.

What am I missing? There is a common cause that my newbness can't overcome.
All relay switches are properly gapped and have good connectivity when contacts are made.
If I read this correctly, activation of any of these should activate the score motor (1C) immediately.
I can see no loose/broken wires or connections.

Oh yea...varitargets have the same delayed behavior.

photo.JPGphoto.JPG

#4 8 years ago

Well, all other features work and the awards in question will score after the ball drains...weird.
The motor itself stops at the gap and has very little play otherwise
On occasion, when starting a game, the motor will continue to run with a ball in the lane and everything reset on the PF (lights and such).
This is a new behavior and requires a power off/on .... drain the ball....and try again at which point the motor may or not take one step and I'm good to go...except for the original problem.

More a timing thing i guess...i dunno

#8 8 years ago

Enlisted the help of a local Pinsider (much appreciated btw ) but were unable to complete the puzzle.
We checked states of switches on many relays and the score motor itself and came up empty.
Thinking the "I" (50 pt) was the common connection but saw nothing out of place.

Just to recap...all these features worked at one point and suddenly stopped. Can't remember exactly what I was doing at the time.
There must be a common connection that would affect the single/ double/ triple / varitarget relays. The home run relay will reset all of them and run the score motor. The rest will not activate the motor. Gotta be something simple yet elusive that would affect 4 things all at once.

photo 1 (3).JPGphoto 1 (3).JPG
photo 2 (3).JPGphoto 2 (3).JPG
photo 1 (2).JPGphoto 1 (2).JPG
photo 1.JPGphoto 1.JPG
photo 2 (2).JPGphoto 2 (2).JPG
photo 2.JPGphoto 2.JPG

#9 8 years ago

Just to clarify, I took some notes.
Tripping the PF "single" rollover .... energizes the E relay
Tripping the PF "double" rollover....energizes the E&D relays
Tripping the PF "triple" rollover....energizes the E&D&T relays
Tripping the "home run" PF rollover....energizes E,D,T and H relays
Varitarget energizes the E,D,T or H depending on position

In each case, the score motor does not turn and requires manual activation of the "I" (50pt) relay to award, etc and reset the appropriate relay.

#10 8 years ago

Additional notes -

Activating the top #1, #2 or #3 rollover trips the correct A.B or C relay changing the lights correctly, but doesn't score the 50 points as it should..again the "I" relay (50pts).

Basically, all 9 rollovers in the game do not score points.
They are tied to "I" or motor 1C / 2B from what I can tell.

#16 8 years ago

Thanks to all for the advice. Quite a bit to take in but, I'll digest it slowly.

This is the "E" or "single" relay.
photo.JPGphoto.JPG

#18 8 years ago

Right here

photo.JPGphoto.JPG

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from Polonius:

Attach one end to the score motor's supply connection (gr-red) and the other bypassing all switches that would be use to activate it and connecting to red-wt. All while powered up. It should make the score motor run. Then take it off red-wt and put it on the next step in the chain. Like the red-wt on the E relay switch. If you're getting juice to that point, it'll run again. Then the opposite side of that switch (gr-red). And following it down that way.

Followed directions and might be onto something here....That switch appears to be making contact but, needs a little prodding w/ a toothpick to get the motor running.

Lemme clean / adjust it AGAIN...I'll report back.

#21 8 years ago

You guys are AWESOME!

I wound up disassembling the suspect switch stack so I could really get in there and polish those contacts. A little tweaking to make a good connection and BAM...I have a functional game...so far.

Words cannot express my sincere gratitude for all the help.

A manly handshake along with a heartfelt sigh of relief / success / joy are sent to everyone.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

#24 8 years ago

Works pretty well Id say...

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from Polonius:

Glad to hear it! Are your 1, 2, and 3 lights all turning on and off when there's players on the various bases? (Like 1 being lit to put a man on first base, but unlit if there's already someone on first) Mine sure aren't! Those switches are brutal to adjust.

It took awhile to get the make/breaks ... moreover, the small actuator plates to work reliably...so far so good.
I took apart just about everything on this machine except the score motor and reset bank. Learned a lot and keeping an eye out for my "next project".

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from Polonius:

Also, are those flashers in the pops?

Yes those are flashers. I'm going to EM Hell for that sin but, its visualy intresting and lends a little animation to the playfield.
I tried rainbow blinkers.... bad...very bad.

Quoted from Darcy:

The 10 point chime is not chiming on the Pop Bumpers. When they are not lit. The scoring is working, on the Pops. The 10 point chime is also sounding on the 4 lit base star roll overs.

Yea, now that I think about it...pops should chime 10..... something ELSE ... lol.
The star rollovers chime and score 10 as well (working correctly)...if that's what your saying / asking.

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from DPhillips1965:

Yea, now that I think about it...pops should chime 10..... something ELSE ... lol.

Got that fixed. The orange/white leaf on the G relay. (honing my basic schematic reading skills... baby steps)

Quoted from Polonius:

Eh, I can't blame you for trying something to spice it up a bit.

My Son (11) digs it. For him, it's all about getting the pops lit.

Having a final issue but, not repeatable.
When starting a new game...either from power on or after finishing a game and hitting the reset button...

- Game resets, pf lights, score reels, etc, all good.
- kicks a ball into the shooter lane but, motor continues to run and no ball 1 light

I have to depower the game, plunge the ball and let it drain, turn the game back on, hit the reset button, at which point the game kicks a ball into the shooter lane and good to go.

As I write this (figures) the game is working fine. More of an inconvenience than an issue. I'm just diggin being able to play ... lol. It's one of these...when the game screws up and after I power off, take the glass off, prop up the pf and get ready to see what's happening...game works fine. Last time, when I just let it run and opened up the game to observe, wound up blowing a 15amp fuse.

#32 8 years ago

I re-gapped the drain hole switch and checked the ball return relay..looks good far as I can tell.
Wierd...I can manually activate the switches with the PF up through all 5 balls to game over and reset...works great and consistent.
If the game sits..it's hit or miss.
If I open the game and remove the ball from the drain...then power up and reset...it quietly waits for me add the ball...does its thing and kicks it out ready to go. That's gotta be a clue I figure.

Anyway, not a huge deal...but suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

#36 8 years ago

Let's say- to be specific-

game is off (no power) with a ball in the shooter lane. (not the drain hole)
Power up the game and push reset button....lights, score motor runs for a sec, reels reset, game over light turns off, tilt light off, no ball 1 light, quiet and unresponsive...all good.
Plunge the ball and let it drain....kicks ball to shooter lane, ball 1 light, no score motor, ready to play...all good.

I'll have a look at those relays mentioned.

Thanks and a Merry Christmas / Happy Holiday / whatever your flavor...to all.

Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Check all the rollover switches for one that is 'sagging' when the playfield is down. Especially the 'Single' rollovers, since they can activate the 'E' relay, and 'E' can cause the score motor to run.
Otherwise, go back through the list of relays that have switches that cause the score motor to run: W, E, I, O, S, SB. One has a switch closed, so need to first determine which one it is.

placed folded paper to block all rollover contacts...no difference but excellent idea.

Quoted from MrBally:

Did you clean or at least re-seat all of the Jones Plugs in the machine?

Yep. All Jones plugs have been removed, cleaned, and shined, receptacles as well...a few times.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dphillips1965.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-gottlieb-baseball-questionscore-motor-doesnt-turn?tu=dphillips1965 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.