Topic Stats

• 488 posts
  • 81 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Flyrod
  • Topic is favorited by 80 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 468 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20180602_155506 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_20170708_203356563 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170708_203330967_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_2391 (resized).JPG
IMG_2390 (resized).JPG
IMG_2389 (resized).JPG
IMG_2388 (resized).JPG
IMG_2387 (resized).JPG
IMG_2385 (resized).JPG
IMG_2383 (resized).JPG
IMG_2382 (resized).JPG
IMG_2380 (resized).JPG
IMG_2378 (resized).JPG
IMG_2377 (resized).JPG
IMG_2376 (resized).JPG
IMG_2374 (resized).JPG

There are 488 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 10.
#401 2 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

Metal ones, powder coated black.

Quoted from lb1:

Better yet. Metal ones, powder coated yellow.

I love powdercoating but I think the nylon ones look good. Leaning towards black.

#402 2 years ago

Getting closer to the first power on. Cabinet moved back into place. IMG_2137 (resized).JPG

#403 2 years ago

If you're looking for votes I also vote black. Easy enough to change later if you choose.

#404 2 years ago
Quoted from bam10:

If you're looking for votes I also vote black. Easy enough to change later if you choose.

I am. Thank you. I'm leaning black too.

#405 2 years ago

Powered on for the first time in many months.
IMG_2139 (resized).JPGIMG_2141 (resized).JPG

#406 2 years ago

After many grueling hours trouble shooting the strobe board, its back to life!!! Who know how long the game went without the strobe but she's back to life. I would love to say it was great tech work but in the end, when I finally put in the altec lamp driver and aux driver board, she fired right up. So happy.

#407 2 years ago

Awesome...another vote for black acorn nuts

#408 2 years ago

Black nuts.

#409 2 years ago

Posts going in. Pop caps on.

IMG_2175 (resized).JPGIMG_2176 (resized).JPG

Flipper rubbers came in the mail today. They look great and add the exact amount of contract I was expecting against the black inlane guides.
IMG_2177 (resized).JPG

#410 2 years ago

A little black out spinner love. I'm working on trying to get some custom spinner decals made up. I planning on "flash" on one spinner and "Gordon" in yellow on the other. On the opposite side of both, the lightening bolt logo.

IMG_2178 (resized).JPGIMG_2179 (resized).JPGIMG_2180 (resized).JPG

#411 2 years ago

How she sits at the conclusion of another weekend's worth of work. I have a couple posts I still need to wrap up. I also need to order a couple more rubbers I overlooked.
IMG_2184 (resized).JPGIMG_2185 (resized).JPG

#412 2 years ago

I think my favorite thing is the black star posts. Game looks mean as all heck!

#413 2 years ago
Quoted from nikpinball:

I think my favorite thing is the black star posts. Game looks mean as all heck!

Thank you.

So I was lucky to grab an extra 3 of the 4 ramps from woody76 of pinballplating. I wanted a spare set to test out the look and ultimately the durability of powder coating the ramps. The plan is to Mylar the sides and bottom. I'm going to put the one original ramp (far left one) that didn't come in the set from woody in until I see the durability of the powder coated ones. If they hold up, I'll pull the left one and powder it. If the powder doesn't hold up, I'll ship my origonal set of to woody to be black chromed.

As they set from woody. There is coating on them woody was experimenting with that I have to blast off:

IMG_2199 (resized).JPGIMG_2202 (resized).JPG

And blasted:
IMG_2203 (resized).JPG

Powder shot and hung ready to cook:
IMG_2204 (resized).JPGIMG_2205 (resized).JPG

Finally, cured and loosely sitting in place. I think they look incredible and follow the black pathe with the yellow border on the playfield perfectly. Now I just hope they hold up.

IMG_2208 (resized).JPGIMG_2209 (resized).JPGIMG_2207 (resized).JPG

#414 2 years ago
Quoted from Tim_may:

black looks good

I think red. Too much black with black nuts.

#415 2 years ago

I seriously hope the powder holds up on the ramps, as this would open up a lot of possibilities on other machines, but honestly doubt that it will. I get wear on powdered siderails just from peoples hands while playing.

#416 2 years ago

I agree. I have my doubts for sure. That's why I got a backup set of ramps and plan on mylaring them. If the color was something other than black, like white or yellow, scratches wouldn't show as bad. Time will tell. In the end, chroming wears and scratchs too.

#417 2 years ago

Will you be using black balls?

#418 2 years ago

No... blue... after his wife finds out what he spent on this game.
Just kidding.

#419 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

No... blue... after his wife finds out what he spent on this game.

Wait until she finds out what some asshole charged him for a Medusa.

This game is look so damn sexxxy. Can't wait to see the final presentation, but it's clearly going to be the most pimped out Flash Gordon ever.

#420 2 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Thank you.
So I was lucky to grab an extra 3 of the 4 ramps from woody76 of pinballplating. I wanted a spare set to test out the look and ultimately the durability of powder coating the ramps. The plan is to Mylar the sides and bottom. I'm going to put the one original ramp (far left one) that didn't come in the set from woody in until I see the durability of the powder coated ones. If they hold up, I'll pull the left one and powder it. If the powder doesn't hold up, I'll ship my origonal set of to woody to be black chromed.
As they set from woody. There is coating on them woody was experimenting with that I have to blast off:

And blasted:

Powder shot and hung ready to cook:

Finally, cured and loosely sitting in place. I think they look incredible and follow the black pathe with the yellow border on the playfield perfectly. Now I just hope they hold up.

Nice powder setup. I was planning on that same compressor, how do you like it?

What kind of oven is that?

#421 2 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

I agree. I have my doubts for sure. That's why I got a backup set of ramps and plan on mylaring them. If the color was something other than black, like white or yellow, scratches wouldn't show as bad. Time will tell. In the end, chroming wears and scratchs too.

You could lay down a strip of Mylar on the bottom and sides - ball edge level only on the sides.

#422 2 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Backup set could be red.

#423 2 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Backup set could be red.

To each his own....In looking at the one previously done in red...I have my doubts

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-saviors-of-the-universe-club/page/6#post-2160409

#424 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Wait until she finds out what some asshole charged him for a Medusa.
This game is look so damn sexxxy. Can't wait to see the final presentation, but it's clearly going to be the most pimped out Flash Gordon ever.

Thanks man. I was able to pickup a playfield at pinfest and I have plastics so medusa is up after fathom.

Quoted from lb1:

You could lay down a strip of Mylar on the bottom and sides - ball edge level only on the sides.

That's the plan. We'll see how it holds up. I hope it does becuase I love the black look on the ramps.

Quoted from Captive_Ball:

To each his own....In looking at the one previously done in red...I have my doubts
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-saviors-of-the-universe-club/page/6#post-2160409

That was the one I had in mind and why I went with black instead.

Quoted from radium:

Nice powder setup. I was planning on that same compressor, how do you like it?
What kind of oven is that?

Thank you. I love the setup. The compressor performs perfectly. I have always wanted a large compressor. I got it for a great price which makes it even better. There are two versions, a 60 or 80 gallon tank. Mine is the 80gallon version. When running the blast cabinet wide open (it is an air hog) it holds 100lbs no problem. I have never had to pause and let it recover.

The oven was another killer deal I got locally but it is a quasi-commercially built one versus a lot of the home brew ones on eBay. It's built by the fab shop out of Minnesota. They have them listed on eBay from time to time. It's a duel burner with full pid controllers to both burners and the ability to go one burner if you only need to maintain a prolonged temp. It gets up to 400 degrees in about 10 minutes which is amazing considering the size of box it's heating. Very happy with the purchase.

As for the powder gun, it's a Gema easytronic. It's an older model but is a huge upgrade from the harbor freight is was using on past projects. There is zero comparison between a professional setup and a hobby gun. The size of the powder cloud and the way it literally sucks to the part being shot is amazing. It makes coating so easy. My plan is to upgrade to a gema optiflex setup in the near future. My fluidized hopper is 5lbs and is too big for what I do. I intend on getting a prismatic 2lb hopper as soon as I'm done using the black powder in my current setup. Hit me up if you have any specific questions. I did a ton of research when I made the jump into it.

#425 2 years ago

Looking amazing!

#426 2 years ago

So I'm not sure if it's the type of Mylar I have but I think it may be a no go on the ramps. It has this texture to it on the adhesive side. No matter how much I try to smooth it, it still looks like crap.

IMG_2227 (resized).JPGIMG_2229 (resized).JPG

#427 2 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Thanks man. I was able to pickup a playfield at pinfest and I have plastics so medusa is up after fathom.

That's the plan. We'll see how it holds up. I hope it does becuase I love the black look on the ramps.

That was the one I had in mind and why I went with black instead.

Thank you. I love the setup. The compressor performs perfectly. I have always wanted a large compressor. I got it for a great price which makes it even better. There are two versions, a 60 or 80 gallon tank. Mine is the 80gallon version. When running the blast cabinet wide open (it is an air hog) it holds 100lbs no problem. I have never had to pause and let it recover.
The oven was another killer deal I got locally but it is a quasi-commercially built one versus a lot of the home brew ones on eBay. It's built by the fab shop out of Minnesota. They have them listed on eBay from time to time. It's a duel burner with full pid controllers to both burners and the ability to go one burner if you only need to maintain a prolonged temp. It gets up to 400 degrees in about 10 minutes which is amazing considering the size of box it's heating. Very happy with the purchase.
As for the powder gun, it's a Gema easytronic. It's an older model but is a huge upgrade from the harbor freight is was using on past projects. There is zero comparison between a professional setup and a hobby gun. The size of the powder cloud and the way it literally sucks to the part being shot is amazing. It makes coating so easy. My plan is to upgrade to a gema optiflex setup in the near future. My fluidized hopper is 5lbs and is too big for what I do. I intend on getting a prismatic 2lb hopper as soon as I'm done using the black powder in my current setup. Hit me up if you have any specific questions. I did a ton of research when I made the jump into it.

Thanks, this is very helpful I appreciate it.

#428 2 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

So I'm not sure if it's the type of Mylar I have but I think it may be a no go on the ramps. It has this texture to it on the adhesive side. No matter how much I try to smooth it, it still looks like crap.

I had the same effect though in hidden areas so much less of an issue

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-refresh/page/2#post-3307856

#429 2 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

I had the same effect though in hidden areas so much less of an issue
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-refresh/page/2#post-3307856

That's what I was afraid of. I wonder if auto clear will give me the protection I'm looking for without wearing terribly? I really like the idea of black ramps but don't want them looking like crap after 100 plays. If I had a extra left ramp, I would put them in cleared and send my other full set off to be plated as backup plan. As it stands, I'm missing the left ramp so I'm afraid to blast and coat my only left ramp and then be stuck if the coating doesn't work out. If I switch gears and go back to plating, the whole restore gets put on hold because plating is 8 weeks out right now. Anyone have a spare left ramp they're willing to sell?

#430 2 years ago

So I decided to try clear coating them. Since I have to get out the spray equipment, I might as well do the shooter housing too. I had held off on doing it when I did the Apron. I was worried about screwing it up. Now that I have a repro one I feel safe trying it out.

Prepped and primed. Black base coat next

IMG_2264 (resized).JPGIMG_2266 (resized).JPG

#431 2 years ago

I finally got my spinner decal proofs back. I think I'm going to like them. It's a clear decal with colored graphics. IMG_2275 (resized).PNG

#432 2 years ago

Last ramp in. I gout a couple flecks of trash in the clear on the last one but I'm not sanding and reshooting them. I have my doubts on how they are going to hold up long term. In the mean time, they look bad ass in gloss black. IMG_2276 (resized).JPG

#433 2 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Last ramp in. In the mean time, they look bad ass in gloss black.

YES!

#434 2 years ago

Stick a yellow/red lightning bolt on it!!
It stands out too much just black in my opionion

#435 2 years ago

The black spinners, which blend into the the surrounding black as it sits now, will have yellow and red decals on them. That, with the surrounding plastics should even things out. That's the plan at least. I would have loved to carry that yellow line on each side of the playfield up the the ramps but that would have been a nightmare to try and do.

#436 2 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

I would have loved to carry that yellow line on each side of the playfield up the the ramps but that would have been a nightmare to try and do.

Maybe you need to hit up steigerpijp and have him do it for you.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/custom-planked-monster-bash-project/page/2#post-3466929

#437 2 years ago

It's official, I hate you! Cuz it's so nice!!

#438 2 years ago

I really dig what you are doing, but the black ramps are too much black. Have them chromed.
Just my opinion.
Keep up the good work.

#439 2 years ago

Nah, I disagree. I love the black and it will all be sweet in the end. Patience

#440 2 years ago

Thanks guys. I do have a full set of ramps I'm going to get chromed I can fall back on if need be. I was sure to make sure I did because I went such a radical direction.

At any rate, spinner decals came in. Looks very nice. Some of the micro bubbles still need to dissipate. I went with a heavy clear vinyl to help on ball strikes.

IMG_2303 (resized).JPGIMG_2302 (resized).JPGIMG_2301 (resized).JPGIMG_2300 (resized).JPGIMG_2299 (resized).JPG

#441 2 years ago

Beautiful game. The overall package you've assembled is coming together very nicely. I think the spinners are adding a lot by putting some color where there was a whole lot of black before. At least from the pictures, which can be misleading.

If ball trails become a problem on the black ramps you can also try clear coating them.

#442 2 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

Beautiful game. The overall package you've assembled is coming together very nicely. I think the spinners are adding a lot by putting some color where there was a whole lot of black before. At least from the pictures, which can be misleading.
If ball trails become a problem on the black ramps you can also try clear coating them.

Thank you. I have a 1hr and 30min commute each way everyday. It allows me to do a lot of mental planning ahead of time. I did put 4 coats of auto clear on all the ramps. Aside from ball trails, I worry about the playfield ramp transition. I have done my best to make it as flush but we will see.

#443 2 years ago

Skins,
Why didn't you Powder coat clear on the black powdercoat?
That gun of yours should have had no issue putting clear powdercoat on those ramps.

#444 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Skins,
Why didn't you Powder coat clear on the black powdercoat?
That gun of yours should have had no issue putting clear powdercoat on those ramps.

A couple reasons. Yes, my gun is a commercial setup that can easily handle recoating. Skill set I'm still learning though and multiple coats can be tricky. Make a mistake on powder and it's a mf'er to get off to start over. Clears are also a lot less forgiving on cook times. The other reason (besides already being in the auto clear) was the vendor I get my powders from had an online store issue and had stopped taking orders. I will eventually will graduate to powder clears though.

I might be turning the corner. The first plastics are going on. I still have some fine tuning to do on the left before I can place plastics. Looking like I hoped it would. IMG_2311 (resized).JPG

#445 2 years ago

Getting closer. Working through gapping the switches properly. I also forgot to put the ball guide in next to the inline's so I have to pull a plastic to get it in. D'oh.
IMG_2312 (resized).JPG

Now that I'm close to done, my mind has shifted slightly to plan my next restore. I was all set on doing fathom next but I may go medusa next. I really enjoy it's quirky layout. Very fun game.

#446 2 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Getting closer. Working through gapping the switches properly. I also forgot to put the ball guide in next to the inline's so I have to pull a plastic to get it in. D'oh.

Now that I'm close to done, my mind has shifted slightly to plan my next restore. I was all set on doing fathom next but I may go medusa next. I really enjoy it's quirky layout. Very fun game.

Loving my Medusa I picked up a few months back. That game has a lot going on under (and behind) the playfield. Sort of the TZ of its era in terms of maximal stuff in the game. The lights! So many inserts. Better psych yourself up for that one.

#447 2 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Loving my Medusa I picked up a few months back. That game has a lot going on under (and behind) the playfield. Sort of the TZ of its era in terms of maximal stuff in the game. The lights! So many inserts. Better psych yourself up for that one.

Yeah, you're right it's crazy packed. I'm leaning towards fathom.

So I was pushing to get the playfield back in the cab by the end of the weekend. I got all the switches registering nicely and noticed I lost my right lower and upper flippers. It's weird, they worked fine and I didn't mess with them but they just stopped. I have 43v at each lug and I checked the flipper switch and it's not shorted closed. Guess it's not going in the cab this weekend. Any thoughts on where to look first?

#448 2 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

So I was pushing to get the playfield back in the cab by the end of the weekend. I got all the switches registering nicely and noticed I lost my right lower and upper flippers. It's weird, they worked fine and I didn't mess with them but they just stopped. I have 43v at each lug and I checked the flipper switch and it's not shorted closed. Guess it's not going in the cab this weekend. Any thoughts on where to look first?

Upper would fire off the lower flipper's switch so makes sense it wouldn't fire if the lower one doesn't. What about the flipper button switch?

#449 2 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

I'm leaning towards fathom.

Lean the other way.

#450 2 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

If you have voltage... it's the switched ground from the driver board. So either the path from the board... the board... or the path from the switches up. I don't remember if you redid the boards and pins in this one?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 44.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 50.00
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
There are 488 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 10.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside