IMG_2385 (resized).JPG
IMG_2383 (resized).JPG
IMG_2382 (resized).JPG
IMG_2380 (resized).JPG
IMG_2378 (resized).JPG
IMG_2377 (resized).JPG
IMG_2376 (resized).JPG
IMG_2374 (resized).JPG
There are 488 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 10.
#201 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Me thinks you have a powder coating problem...

Never.

Quoted from flynnibus:

I only wish he didn't live in the farthest corner of our common state

Come on out to god's country. I can't wait until I don't have to commute to your neck of the woods.

#202 7 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Come on out to god's country. I can't wait until I don't have to commute to your neck of the woods.

yOUCH

I can't stand the traffic up here anymore.. its kind of nutty when you have 8 lane highways as your 'local routes' and rush hour really is 3:30-7:30pm but I do like the balance of access/suburbia. We've been in VA since '98 and this place has blown up in that time period.

If I ever move.. its going to be to some place remote that still has Amazon Prime and high speed internet where I can work remote

#203 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Powder Coaters Anonymous...

Skins: Hello, my name is Skins.

Group: Hi Skins!

Skins: it's been 3 days, no, 3 hours since my last powder coat.

#204 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Is that your dog??! "Yeah, I was just testing the powder coating.... Looks good doesn't he? I think he will match my Flash Gordon now. Most of the house will have to be redone to match it.

#205 7 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

And tacked into place. Worked perfectly.

#206 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

Powder Coaters Anonymous...
Skins: Hello, my name is Skins.
Group: Hi Skins!
Skins: it's been 3 days, no, 3 hours since my last powder coat.

The first step to recovery is admitting a problem. I'm not there yet.

Quoted from flynnsbit:

Is that your dog??! "Yeah, I was just testing the powder coating.... Looks good doesn't he? I think he will match my Flash Gordon now. Most of the house will have to be redone to match it.

The dog kept shaking the powder off...

#207 7 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

The first step to recovery is admitting a problem. I'm not there yet.

The dog kept shaking the powder off...

We're all jealous is all!

#208 7 years ago

Outstanding

Mike

#209 7 years ago

Repro backbox cards done and everything stapled and pcb brackets installed. Head back in place. Still need to install the boards. The two silver screws are temporary. IMG_0855 (resized).JPGIMG_0855 (resized).JPGIMG_0856 (resized).JPGIMG_0856 (resized).JPGIMG_0857 (resized).JPGIMG_0857 (resized).JPG

#210 7 years ago

So I got distracted by this fun game which is my next restore. IMG_0887 (resized).JPGIMG_0887 (resized).JPG

But I'm back at it. Light panel stripped and prepped. I'll be painting it tomorrow.
IMG_1062 (resized).JPGIMG_1062 (resized).JPGIMG_1064 (resized).JPGIMG_1064 (resized).JPG

Also more powder. Legs turned out fabulous.

IMG_1063 (resized).JPGIMG_1063 (resized).JPG

#211 7 years ago

Incremental updates. Legs on. They're hand tight for now. I needed them on to install the leg plates. They'll be coming off to install stern cabinet protectors.
IMG_1070 (resized).JPGIMG_1070 (resized).JPG

#212 7 years ago

Question for those following along. I've never been fully immersed in early Bally/SS. The last FG was my only one and for that I had the displays rejuvenated. The led tech seems to have come a long way. Do I, restore/replace with plasma; or do I go led? I'm leaning xpin if so. Input?

#213 7 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Question for those following along. I've never been fully immersed in early Bally/SS. The last FG was my only one and for that I had the displays rejuvenated. The led tech seems to have come a long way. Do I, restore/replace with plasma; or do I go led? I'm leaning xpin if so. Input?

What are you starting with? Non functioning displays or no? There is the guy selling kits to redo boards now. I don't think the new segment displays look any "better" - you can certainly recognize them.

#214 7 years ago

Most are decent. No measeling. The 6 digit is dim. They all could stand to be refreshed. That's what I was worried about. I don't want to see segments or the led blocks themselves.

#215 7 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

The 6 digit is dim.

If the digits are not dark when the game is off, you may have bad solder joints on the row of solder joints for the glass display itself or on the long row of header pins. Remove the solder on the header pins first and then resolder them. Many flickering displays or even dead displays are caused by broken solder joints most of the times. just depends on which pins have the broken solder joints. It is worth checking over all the displays as any of them could be affected at any time.

#216 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

If the digits are not dark when the game is off, you may have bad solder joints on the row of solder joints for the glass display itself or on the long row of header pins. Remove the solder on the header pins first and then resolder them. Many flickering displays or even dead displays are caused by broken solder joints most of the times. just depends on which pins have the broken solder joints. It is worth checking over all the displays as any of them could be affected at any time.

Yeah. If I stay plasma I'll send them out to be rejuvenated.

#217 7 years ago

Light board filled and primed; ready for color then clear. There are a couple small imperfections but it's 90%. It is just a light panel after all.
IMG_1073 (resized).JPGIMG_1073 (resized).JPGIMG_1074 (resized).JPGIMG_1074 (resized).JPG

#218 7 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Light board filled and primed; ready for color then clear.

O_o

This is going to be the nicest FG on the planet. It's already starting to look pretty darn mean with all that black armor. Amazing restore, Skins.

#219 7 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

O_o
This is going to be the nicest FG on the planet. It's already starting to look pretty darn mean with all that black armor. Amazing restore, Skins.

Thank you. That's very kind of you to say. May not be the nicest but it is they best my skills and patience allows.

#220 7 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Yeah. If I stay plasma I'll send them out to be rejuvenated.

With all the work you're doing on this game, I think you would be able to handle resoldering some pins.

#221 7 years ago

Base coat on. Clear up next. IMG_1077 (resized).JPGIMG_1077 (resized).JPG

#222 7 years ago

Continuing to amaze...looking forward to the next update, with pictures...of course

#223 7 years ago

Tilt assembly panel up next.

Prepped
IMG_1093 (resized).JPGIMG_1093 (resized).JPG

Primed
IMG_1094 (resized).JPGIMG_1094 (resized).JPG

#224 7 years ago

Is your strobe board working?

#225 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Is your strobe board working?

Well, short answer is I'm not sure. When I got it, no. I got a lamp tube from a pinsider and that didn't fix it. I got a reproduction unit but got it after I tore the game apart so I'm hoping that fixes it.

#226 7 years ago

Primer sanded:

IMG_1095 (resized).JPGIMG_1095 (resized).JPG

And the black applied:

IMG_1096 (resized).JPGIMG_1096 (resized).JPG

All that's left is to clear it and then I think I'm officially done with paint on this one; unless powder coats, then no im not done.

#227 7 years ago

Clear coat applied to tilt board. IMG_1102 (resized).JPGIMG_1102 (resized).JPG

More cabinet parts:

IMG_1105 (resized).JPGIMG_1105 (resized).JPG

#228 7 years ago

Wow....even the hanging hooks are starting to get fancy

#229 7 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Wow....even the hanging hooks are starting to get fancy

That's funny. Special occasions.

I didn't document it but I went through the trouble of masking of a sliver of the opening the ball sets in and where it comes in contact with the top as well as where the grounds are screwed to it. I wanted to be sure the powder wasn't insulating The steel ball.
IMG_1107 (resized).JPGIMG_1107 (resized).JPGIMG_1109 (resized).JPGIMG_1109 (resized).JPGIMG_1103 (resized).JPGIMG_1103 (resized).JPGIMG_1104 (resized).JPGIMG_1104 (resized).JPG

#230 7 years ago

Been busy today. Kids snow day = parents snow day.

Shiny tiltboard installed.
IMG_1118 (resized).JPGIMG_1118 (resized).JPG

I had to reapply adhesive to the rubber grommets to the score display brackets.
IMG_1129 (resized).JPGIMG_1129 (resized).JPGIMG_1126 (resized).JPGIMG_1126 (resized).JPGIMG_1127 (resized).JPGIMG_1127 (resized).JPGIMG_1125 (resized).JPGIMG_1125 (resized).JPG

And the lightboard back in place. Looks great. FYI, I didn't fill all the open grain on the backside because all the million staples wood have popped all the filler free when driving new staples. I still need to order and install new light boxes for the front side.
IMG_1135 (resized).JPGIMG_1135 (resized).JPGIMG_1134 (resized).JPGIMG_1134 (resized).JPGIMG_1130 (resized).JPGIMG_1130 (resized).JPGIMG_1132 (resized).JPGIMG_1132 (resized).JPGIMG_1133 (resized).JPGIMG_1133 (resized).JPG

#231 7 years ago

Can't forget the speakers. They'll get a dose of auto primer, base and clear.

Before:
IMG_1137 (resized).JPGIMG_1137 (resized).JPG

Primed:
IMG_1136 (resized).JPGIMG_1136 (resized).JPG

#232 7 years ago

I wouldn't haven't painted over the specs of the speaker as it can be important for future work or getting replacement.

#233 7 years ago

Coming along nicely. Keep this one

#234 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I wouldn't haven't painted over the specs of the speaker as it can be important for future work or getting replacement.

Well I do have a picture of the spec and model number as well as a 3rd spare one so I think I will be ok.

Quoted from jints56:

Coming along nicely. Keep this one

I think so. Finally.

And now they're clear coated. Nice and shiny like I like it.
IMG_1138 (resized).JPGIMG_1138 (resized).JPG

#236 7 years ago

Would it be nice to paint the face on the lamp board something like this, but would it be possible to line up the eyes with 2 flashing lamps? Seems the yellow area at the bottom should be deleted.
FG light board (resized).pngFG light board (resized).png

#237 7 years ago

The side rails will look sharp with yellow card stock behind them. Really stands out.
side rail (resized).pngside rail (resized).png

#238 7 years ago

4424b6d7d55582a86ca19802c90fcd2066122402.png (resized).jpg4424b6d7d55582a86ca19802c90fcd2066122402.png (resized).jpg

#239 7 years ago

You guys are funny.

I like the yellow behind the rail but for now I'm going to press on. May circle back at the end and revisit.

First power on to see how everything was running. Only partial success. Still no strobe even with a brand new repro flasher board. IMG_1147 (resized).JPGIMG_1147 (resized).JPG

#240 7 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

I like the yellow behind the rail but for now I'm going to press on. May circle back at the end and revisit.

Yellow behind the rail is the best. I would definitely go with that.

#241 7 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Only partial success. Still no strobe even with a brand new repro flasher board.

Thats not always a bad thing. It can be blinding. But it does give me an excuse for low scores..."the strobe blinded me, so I missed where the ball was"

#242 7 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Thats not always a bad thing. It can be blinding. But it does give me an excuse for low scores..."the strobe blinded me, so I missed where the ball was"

Haha...sorry man. I could not help myself in wanting to fix every thing in the game for you. At least that gives me a chance to beat you on a few games since you play it way more often than I do.

#243 7 years ago

Beautiful work as usual. The only thing that I would question (if I may) is leaving the bottom of the inside cab bare - though with some clear. It stands out as not as immaculate as the rest of the game. If you're going to powder coat or paint a whole bunch of part that are originally bare metal, why not paint the cabinet bottom?

#244 7 years ago

Excellent work. Great looking game. All the hard work you have done will be worth it in the end.

I use to play Flash Gordon a ton in the 80's as a kid and it was tough.

#245 7 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

Beautiful work as usual. The only thing that I would question (if I may) is leaving the bottom of the inside cab bare - though with some clear. It stands out as not as immaculate as the rest of the game. If you're going to powder coat or paint a whole bunch of part that are originally bare metal, why not paint the cabinet bottom?

Sorry missed this. I dunno. Personal preference I guess. It just doesn't look aesthetically pleasing imo. I personally like the contrast.

Quoted from pinball77:

Excellent work. Great looking game. All the hard work you have done will be worth it in the end.
I use to play Flash Gordon a ton in the 80's as a kid and it was tough.

Thank you.

So, everything on the bottom side is labeled and removed. The harness is free.

IMG_1362 (resized).JPGIMG_1362 (resized).JPGIMG_1363 (resized).JPGIMG_1363 (resized).JPGIMG_1361 (resized).JPGIMG_1361 (resized).JPGIMG_1354 (resized).JPGIMG_1354 (resized).JPG

#246 7 years ago

Holy dirty wiring harness Batman.

#247 7 years ago

Yeah it was the worst I have encountered. It was a real gummy oily residue. I ran it through the ultra sonic 3x's, scrubbed it in the sink and then rubbed it dry removing what I saw and there are still small leftovers of dirt. Terribly caked on.

#248 7 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Sorry missed this. I dunno. Personal preference I guess. It just doesn't look aesthetically pleasing imo. I personally like the contrast.

Nothing wrong with your personal preference. It's your game and one of the best restorations out there.

#249 7 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Yeah it was the worst I have encountered. It was a real gummy oily residue. I ran it through the ultra sonic 3x's, scrubbed it in the sink and then rubbed it dry removing what I saw and there are still small leftovers of dirt. Terribly caked on.

What...? You guys don't lubricate your wiring harnesses??

I did the dishwasher thing with my IJ harness, worked great. But I might hesitate to put that filthy mess into my dishwasher...

#250 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

What...? You guys don't lubricate your wiring harnesses??
I did the dishwasher thing with my IJ harness, worked great. But I might hesitate to put that filthy mess into my dishwasher...

This is my 10th restore. By far the worst.

Playfields married up. New Reese rails installed. All the ramps were lined up to verify fitment. Getting repro rails and playfields made by two different parties on a game 30 years old is always a splitting hair moment. All topside metals will be shipped off shortly for some black chrome love.
IMG_1389 (resized).JPGIMG_1389 (resized).JPGIMG_1387 (resized).JPGIMG_1387 (resized).JPGIMG_1386 (resized).JPGIMG_1386 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 179.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 22.50
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

7,995 (OBO)
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 488 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-flash-gordon-reimagined/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.