IMG_2385 (resized).JPG
IMG_2383 (resized).JPG
IMG_2382 (resized).JPG
IMG_2380 (resized).JPG
IMG_2378 (resized).JPG
IMG_2377 (resized).JPG
IMG_2376 (resized).JPG
IMG_2374 (resized).JPG
There are 488 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 10.
#451 6 years ago

The game has all brand new boards. I just tried it before I headed out to work. It worked for a second, then stopped. I touched the bat and could feel it was trying to energize. I moved it by hand and then it worked fine. Both the upper and the lower. I'll have to investigate closer.

#452 6 years ago

I got the flipper figured out. I didn't have one of the connectors on the rectifier board seated all the way. It's too short so I have to unplug it every time I flip the rotisserie. When flipping it back I didn't seat if all the way. Simple things, I swear. I'm trying to upload the first game play vid and it keep crashing so we'll see if I can get it posted. 3 things I found. The right sling is gapped wrong still causing it to machine gun every now and then, the saucer needs adjusted, it's not registering a ball and the right inline switch is tight and hanging the ball slightly. Other than that, she's ready for the cab. I'm on vacation the rest of the week and next so that won't happen until after then.

1 week later
#453 6 years ago

Back from vacation. I was able to get all the switches gapped properly and the star rollovers working like they should be. Playfield is back in the cabinet. All most there...IMG_2361 (resized).JPGIMG_2361 (resized).JPG

#455 6 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Skins,
Have you consider my Star Rollover lights?
http://Pinball-Mods.com/url/778e2e3

Those are phenomenal. What any ingenious idea. The lay down lamp holders is such a clumsy way to light them. Those are slick man. I so wish you would have posted them before I put the playfield back in the cab. Seriously impressed. Great job, Zitt. I will most certainly use them on my next restore coming up. Is there an easy way to wire them up. Particularly on the controlled ones. I'm an electronics moron. I'm good at putting back was there but freelancing is not my forte.

#456 6 years ago

Got the light boxes installed. I bought the repro one from pinballlife. While it is nice to have new clean ones that aren't heat warped, I was disappointed in them being cross overs to the originals. I may have misordered but the sizes don't line up with the originals and more importantly, they are too deep and won't allow the backglass to be installed.
IMG_1602 (resized).JPGIMG_1602 (resized).JPGIMG_1604 (resized).JPGIMG_1604 (resized).JPG

I ended up sanding them down and they turned out well; just not as exact as I would have hoped for based on their cost.

Installed:
IMG_2362 (resized).JPGIMG_2362 (resized).JPG

And with the backglass and powdered lift channel. I also need new trim. The ones I bought are so loose, they won't stay on. The backglass needs cleaned still. Kinda bummed through, my original is showing lifting and this one, while it doesn't have lifting, have a flake missing where a display rubbed. I need to find a flawless one now. I really dig the red led score displays. Obviously they don't film well.

IMG_2364 (resized).JPGIMG_2364 (resized).JPG

#457 6 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

I so wish you would have posted them before I put the playfield back in the cab.

Sorry; I don't know anything about Flash other than what you've posted. Had no clue it even had rollovers until you mentioned it.

Quoted from Skins:

Is there an easy way to wire them up. Particularly on the controlled ones. I'm an electronics moron. I'm good at putting back was there but freelancing is not my forte.

There are only two thru hole pads to solder to JP1. Polarity doesn't matter because the design has a build in rectifier for AC. In this picture
https://www.flickr.com/photos/52968060@N00/12629862304/sizes/o/
you can see I just soldered a red and a white wire from the pads of the rollover LED and jumped it to the lamp socket next to it.

I wish more people knew about these rollover LEDs... because I'd love for there to be a "run" on them so I could order a larger volume of them and drive the price down to a reasonable level. Alas; it doesn't look to be.

#458 6 years ago

Cleaning up the back box. Years old duck tape has left a gummy mess where someone decided to label the connectors. A little acetone makes short work of the gooey mess.
IMG_2365 (resized).JPGIMG_2365 (resized).JPGIMG_2367 (resized).JPGIMG_2367 (resized).JPGIMG_2368 (resized).JPGIMG_2368 (resized).JPG

A little more tidying up and the backbox is complete.

IMG_2369 (resized).JPGIMG_2369 (resized).JPG

I always hate screwing through the ground braid to marry all the ground together in the head. I put solder lugs on the two ground braids so they could be cleanly married together and easily disconnected if need be.

IMG_2370 (resized).JPGIMG_2370 (resized).JPG

Almost glamour shot time!

Quoted from Zitt:

Sorry; I don't know anything about Flash other than what you've posted. Had no clue it even had rollovers until you mentioned it.

There are only two thru hole pads to solder to JP1. Polarity doesn't matter because the design has a build in rectifier for AC. In this picture
https://www.flickr.com/photos/52968060@N00/12629862304/sizes/o/
you can see I just soldered a red and a white wire from the pads of the rollover LED and jumped it to the lamp socket next to it.
I wish more people knew about these rollover LEDs... because I'd love for there to be a "run" on them so I could order a larger volume of them and drive the price down to a reasonable level. Alas; it doesn't look to be.

I honestly think it's more about pinheads not knowing about it versus lack of wanting them. I had no clue they existed but would be thrilled to use them. I suspect if you did an announcement thread you would get the quota you need. Sign me up. I need enough for fathom and medusa. That's nearly a dozen right there.

#459 6 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Skins,
Have you consider my Star Rollover lights?
http://Pinball-Mods.com/url/778e2e3

Any pictures w roll over lighr mode ?

#460 6 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

This is the first I've seen them, and I think they are pretty cool and would love to have them for my homebrew project, but in no way shape or form can I justify $29 a pop to light my 5 rollovers, so kind of a catch 22; you need the volume to bring the price down but you need the price down to bring the volume. I do hope it happens though because those are very cool.

#461 6 years ago

So here's the obligatory garage door photos. It's bitter sweet though. I have played at least 20 test games before moving it. Get it in the basement and setup. Play one ball and lose all playfield coils save the flippers. The playfield fuse blew. Now to hunt down a problem on a "completed" game. Grrrr...

IMG_2371 (resized).JPGIMG_2371 (resized).JPGIMG_2374 (resized).JPGIMG_2374 (resized).JPGIMG_2376 (resized).JPGIMG_2376 (resized).JPGIMG_2377 (resized).JPGIMG_2377 (resized).JPGIMG_2378 (resized).JPGIMG_2378 (resized).JPGIMG_2380 (resized).JPGIMG_2380 (resized).JPGIMG_2382 (resized).JPGIMG_2382 (resized).JPG

IMG_2373 (resized).JPGIMG_2373 (resized).JPG

#462 6 years ago

Few more, then back to troubleshooting. I wish there was more natural light but I live in a forest so I have tons of tree cover blocking the light. IMG_2383 (resized).JPGIMG_2383 (resized).JPGIMG_2385 (resized).JPGIMG_2385 (resized).JPGIMG_2387 (resized).JPGIMG_2387 (resized).JPGIMG_2388 (resized).JPGIMG_2388 (resized).JPGIMG_2389 (resized).JPGIMG_2389 (resized).JPGIMG_2390 (resized).JPGIMG_2390 (resized).JPGIMG_2391 (resized).JPGIMG_2391 (resized).JPG

#463 6 years ago

It looks phenomenal!! Excellent job Skins ! That is truly a labor of love. Best looking Flash Gordon I have ever seen.

#464 6 years ago

SEXY!

#465 6 years ago

Amazing job!! It looks incredible. It's been awesome following your thread! Wish I had the skill to do something like this

#466 6 years ago

Really pretty. Nice job.

#467 6 years ago

I have an average condition FG with an almost perfect bg. PM me if interested. I could be talked into trading my bg for yours plus cash.

IMG_20170708_203330967_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20170708_203330967_HDR (resized).jpg

#468 6 years ago

Yours deserves it.

IMG_20170708_203356563 (resized).jpgIMG_20170708_203356563 (resized).jpg

#469 6 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

I honestly think it's more about pinheads not knowing about it versus lack of wanting them. I had no clue they existed but would be thrilled to use them. I suspect if you did an announcement thread you would get the quota you need. Sign me up. I need enough for fathom and medusa. That's nearly a dozen right there.

True. I already have a thread for them... or at least I thought I did.
Can't find it now.

Last night I added section to PinballMakers.com Wiki:
http://pinballmakers.com/wiki/index.php/Construction#Custom_LED_lighting_-_not_socketed

I'll create a new tread when I get a free moment. Done:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-rollover-led-boards

#470 6 years ago

Looks fantastic, any pinhead would love to have that in their collection....Great Job!!

One suggestion: The coin door is too black, it needs a red version of the Bally Diamond sticker on it.....

#471 6 years ago

Figured out the fuse. The sling was shot gunning and caused it to blow. Pulled the switch and it was shorting to itself. Fixed, new fuse and we're good to go.

Quoted from AUKraut:

Looks fantastic, any pinhead would love to have that in their collection....Great Job!!
One suggestion: The coin door is too black, it needs a red version of the Bally Diamond sticker on it.....

Thank you.
I agree. I had a logo printed but it's too big. Waiting on a replacement.

Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Yours deserves it.

I'll pm you in a bit.

Quoted from tmick73:

Amazing job!! It looks incredible. It's been awesome following your thread! Wish I had the skill to do something like this

Quoted from MacJedi:

It looks phenomenal!! Excellent job skins ! That is truly a labor of love. Best looking Flash Gordon I have ever seen.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments.

#472 6 years ago

Thank you for posting all the great info. Very cool looking game - nice creative eye and congrats on a job well done!

Flash Gordon is the next early Bally on my list for consideration after Centaur and I can only hope that I can find one that comes close to looking this uniquely sweeeet!

#473 6 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

So here's the obligatory garage door photos. It's bitter sweet though. I have played at least 20 test games before moving it. Get it in the basement and setup. Play one ball and lose all playfield coils save the flippers. The playfield fuse blew. Now to hunt down a problem on a "completed" game. Grrrr...

Yeah, moving a pinball is always a gamble, something always seems to jump loose/move an inch or two and short somewhere.

#474 6 years ago

You forgot to take the "under the playfield" pic when it was on the driveway! Better drag it back out there!

Seriously though, can you post a final under the hood pic? Interesting to see how all that black powder coat looks on the underside.

I would never be creative or brave enough to try something like this myself, and I had my doubts about all the black, but I have to say it turned out amazing.

Even the suggestion the paint yellow behind the side rails, which I thought was a slam dunk, would have been too much I think now that the finished game can be seen. I prefer the more subtle look with the red text vs. the yellow below it on the cab.

Anyway, nicely done! Now I should get my FG restore finished, I might have spent more time reading about yours than working on my own these last months.

#475 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

You forgot to take the "under the playfield" pic when it was on the driveway! Better drag it back out there!
Seriously though, can you post a final under the hood pic? Interesting to see how all that black powder coat looks on the underside.
I would never be creative or brave enough to try something like this myself, and I had my doubts about all the black, but I have to say it turned out amazing.
Even the suggestion the paint yellow behind the side rails, which I thought was a slam dunk, would have been too much I think now that the finished game can be seen. I prefer the more subtle look with the red text vs. the yellow below it on the cab.
Anyway, nicely done! Now I should get my FG restore finished, I might have spent more time reading about yours than working on my own these last months.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm thrilled with the outcome of the total package.

I intended on some cab interior pics in the natural light. My driveway slopes pretty hard, if I was to guess 10-15 degrees. I was scared the playfield would slam after I just finished the game. Since I was by myself, I errored on the side of caution. I promise to get some underside/interior pics, albeit with the game indoors on level ground in the next day or so.

#476 6 years ago

Another impressed pinsider over here. Amazing work!

#477 6 years ago

Great restore Skins. Enjoyed the thread.

2 weeks later
#478 6 years ago

looks awesome- congrats and enjoy playing that beast!

11 months later
#479 5 years ago

@skins, It's been almost a year, curious how your black ramps are holding up?

1 month later
#480 5 years ago
Quoted from Flyrod:

skins, It's been almost a year, curious how your black ramps are holding up?

I wish I could tell you. Alas, someone made an unsolicited offer to buy it and with the amount offered, I let it go.

#481 5 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Alas, someone made an unsolicited offer to buy it and with the amount offered, I let it go.

:horror:
I guess everyone has their price.
Congrats

#482 5 years ago

Yeah. Hard to say no to someone when they’re offering stern premium prices. It went to a good home though.

#483 5 years ago

I wish I could buy the stencils used on this machine from Jeff!

#484 5 years ago
Quoted from indy5mike:

Email him and ask. You.may be surprised.

#485 5 years ago
Quoted from indy5mike:

email me and I can hook you up

#486 5 years ago

My games with the same stencils with different colors

20180602_155506 (1) (resized).jpg20180602_155506 (1) (resized).jpg
#487 5 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

My games with the same stencils with different colors
[quoted image]

Love the gold take on my stencil. I would love to see any others who went with this design.

#488 5 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

I wish I could tell you. Alas, someone made an unsolicited offer to buy it and with the amount offered, I let it go.

Don't you just HATE that!!! I've restored jukeboxes and had to let them go as well.... the blood, sweat, and tears that go into those things... bitter sweet...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
Troxel Repair

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 179.00
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

7,995 (OBO)
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 99.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 488 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-flash-gordon-reimagined/page/10?hl=flyrod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.