EBD_wroung (resized).jpg
IMG_0524 (resized).jpg
IMG_0523 (resized).jpg
IMG_0522 (resized).jpg
IMG_0521 (resized).jpg
EBD_drop_target (resized).jpg
EBD_dip-7 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Just brought a beat EBDle back to life and am dealing with a few things... I will happily ship beer of choice in the mail (like I have done for others here) for help!

-When the 2x3x4x5x bank resets it fires the 2,10 drop coil.

-Roll over/trigger 'C' OR 'D' and they both count, but it will score properly for just the one lane.

-When I make the saucer and it pops the ball out, the game tries to eject another ball. (Maybe I have the only multiball EBD on errf?)

I have replaced the disk caps and/or cut a leg off to test based on other posts I have read. I have not messed with diodes yet but did look everywhere and made sure they were not touching anything, all original and no resoldering on any. - I'm sure thats where the problem is but I have no manual and a very low IQ.

Things to mention. The coin door innards have been removed, wires cut. There is a rigged switch with diode (matches my Centaur coin switch wiring) that you press to add credits (with or without that connected, the same issues occur). All other wires are separated and are taped up.

Lights.. The 'L' on Deluxe on the back box, the 4 insert near the drops, 50k near the Bankshot and the 2x by the flips, all dead yet there is power on the braid, all solder good. - I assume this has nothing to do with the matrix issue, but again, I'm not too bright.

Hopefully someone can push me in the right direction. Thank ya!

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from Harvs:

Just brought a beat EBDle back to life and am dealing with a few things... I will happily ship beer of choice in the mail (like I have done for others here) for help!
-When the 2x3x4x5x bank resets it fires the 2,10 drop coil.

I think you might have a bad diode on the 2,10 drop coil or a wrong coil (without a double diode).
(see the image below)

Quoted from Harvs:

-Roll over/trigger 'C' OR 'D' and they both count, but it will score properly for just the one lane.

This is an option which can be set via dip-7 on the MPU board.
(see second image below)

Quoted from Harvs:

-When I make the saucer and it pops the ball out, the game tries to eject another ball. (Maybe I have the only multiball EBD on errf?)

This might be the same kind of problem as the drop target, but then at the outhole coil.
Again this outhole coil has to be a coil with a double diode. (also visible in the first image).

Quoted from Harvs:

Lights.. The 'L' on Deluxe on the back box, the 4 insert near the drops, 50k near the Bankshot and the 2x by the flips, all dead yet there is power on the braid, all solder good. - I assume this has nothing to do with the matrix issue, but again, I'm not too bright.
Hopefully someone can push me in the right direction. Thank ya!

The lights have indeed nothing to do with the switch matrix.
You are brighter than you think.

Check the voltages at the lamps which are off.
You said there is power on the braid, but do you also have power at the other wire comming from the lamp?
This would indicate a lamp (or socket) being bad if there is no power on the colored wire.
If you have power on the colored wire, you may have to look at the print header(s) of the lamp driver board.
Most of the time they are cracked.
Reflowing the solder joints at the print headers solves 95% of the problems with Bally SS machines.

I hope this helps.
Peter
http://www.inkochnito.nl

EBD_drop_target (resized).jpgEBD_drop_target (resized).jpgEBD_dip-7 (resized).jpgEBD_dip-7 (resized).jpg
#4 3 years ago

Thanks for the tips! Here are a few pics of the coil/diodes. - Also, I noticed the brown/orange wire was taken out of the harness so posted pics of that too. Is the outhole coil wired properly (I will hunt for info on that now)?

I am following that 'solenoid misfire' post, just seen it this morning.

IMG_0521 (resized).jpgIMG_0521 (resized).jpgIMG_0522 (resized).jpgIMG_0522 (resized).jpgIMG_0523 (resized).jpgIMG_0523 (resized).jpgIMG_0524 (resized).jpgIMG_0524 (resized).jpg
#5 3 years ago

I spotted your problem with the drop target.
There is a wire in the wroung position.
The red arrow is the wire in the wroung position.
It should be at the green arrow.
Just look at the wires in the green circle.
Those are correct.

I can't tell for the outhole coil....
I need to see the diodes and the wires connected to it.

EBD_wroung (resized).jpgEBD_wroung (resized).jpg
#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

I spotted your problem with the drop target.
There is a wire in the wroung position.
The red arrow is the wire in the wroung position.
It should be at the green arrow.
Just look at the wires in the green circle.
Those are correct.
I can't tell for the outhole coil....
I need to see the diodes and the wires connected to it.
[quoted image]

It WORKED, fixed all issues (but the few lights which I can monkey with)! - I owe ya! Can't ship beer of choice that far safely but would happily make a donation in your name?

Thanks again! I'm borderline neanderthal when it comes to matrix issues so appreciate the detailed help!

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Harvs:

It WORKED, fixed all issues (but the few lights which I can monkey with)! - I owe ya! Can't ship beer of choice that far safely but would happily make a donation in your name?
Thanks again! I'm borderline neanderthal when it comes to matrix issues so appreciate the detailed help!

Its great to see things work out for you!
Any donation is always welcome, thanks for the offer.

Peter

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Its great to see things work out for you!
Any donation is always welcome, thanks for the offer.
Peter

Spoke too soon like many others with this damn switch matrix crap! - It worked great for hours, now every time a game is started the 7 drop switch is triggered, the drop itself doesn't fall...just the switch. It's like it takes the machine being on and played for a while then the phantom 7 switch begins. I didn't notice any other issues while playing..

I will check out everything inline before it and hopefully figure it out before I fix it with a sledgehammer and a full bladder of urine.

BTW, you now have a little heart next to your name.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Harvs:

Spoke too soon like many others with this damn switch matrix crap! - It worked great for hours, now every time a game is started the 7 drop switch is triggered, the drop itself doesn't fall...just the switch. It's like it takes the machine being on and played for a while then the phantom 7 switch begins. I didn't notice any other issues while playing..
I will check out everything inline before it and hopefully figure it out before I fix it with a sledgehammer and a full bladder of urine.

Check the diodes on the drop targets.
See if there is a splatter of tin on the switch stack.

Quoted from Harvs:

BTW, you now have a little heart next to your name.

Thank you very much!

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Check the diodes on the drop targets.
See if there is a splatter of tin on the switch stack.

Thank you very much!

No problemo, thanks for the help. - And I'm the idiot with the 7 drop, it wasn't a matrix issue..

All lights work after changing some SCRs and machine works 100%.. Now to tear it all apart and put new drops and plastics etc..
IMG_0535 (1) (resized).jpgIMG_0535 (1) (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 179.00
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
$ 90.00
Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-ebd-switch-matrix-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.