I own this EBD for about 3 years, and I play it almost daily. Or rather: I used to play it almost daily… Since a while I don’t dare playing it anymore because the playfield is getting too damaged on the typical spots without Mylar protection. The game really is begging me for some love and attention, it actually screams for a thorough restoration.
I noticed a few ongoing EBD restorations being documented here, so why not add this one to the pack. Every restoration is different and seeing other people’s work is inspiring to me. Why not return the favour…
It’s not the most beautiful EBD around. A previous owner has gone crazy with some leftover paint, but apart from that the game is in an ok condition. The hardware is solid, there are no real structural issues, except for some planking on the head. I had shopped it when I bought it (added new rubbers, plastics etc).
As with many games from this era, large areas on the playfield are covered with Mylar. And although it gets loose from some inserts, it has served its purpose well, damage is acceptable. But then the areas without Mylar protection… these are the reason why I don’t dare playing the game anymore. These areas really got worse over the past 3 years.
Inside is the typical view of a 35-year old pinball machine: dirt, rust, corrosion. Nothing insurmountable though.
A few “fixes” from the previous owner.
I started this project early July and really wanted the playfield to have its first clearcoat before holidays. No time to waste. I prefer to move it from the cabinet into the rotisserie for disassembling.
As I was doing so, I discovered some more “fixes” from the previous owner that I hadn’t noticed before. Like: better securing the flipper assembly’s using screws through the playfield…
One of the annoying things about these old games is that all coils and switches are soldered directly to the wire harness, which by times is very unhandy. I decided to cut them loose and will add Molex connectors in due time, similarly to WPC games.
Nonetheless such a wire harness remains a complex monster. I use to make lots of photos and to take detailed notes.
And only now, as the playfield is totally empty, I start realising how bad the damage actually is. I don’t own a CPR replacement. This will be, without doubt, one of my most ambitious playfield restorations so far.