• Latest reply 6 years ago by Quench
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg

#1 6 years ago

So tonight I was playing a few games and the melody quit playing when starting a new game.
Turn on power = melody plays
Press start = new game melody plays
Game over = game over melody plays
Press start again for new game = NO MELODY
Game over = game over Melody plays

Basically it's now only playing the melody the first time I start a game after restarting the machine. After that it doesn't play it, just spits out ball one. However it's chiming on all scores properly.

MPU problem? Switch 8 problem? What do you guys think?

#2 6 years ago

Use extra caution when reseating chips so as not to fold a leg under the chip. Pay attention to which end has the notch/divot.

Reseat/swap U10 and U11 on MPU. Retry.

Reseat J4 on MPU. Retry.

Reseat both .100 connectors on right side of solenoid board. Retry.

Reseat U8 on MPU. Retry.

Reseat U2-U6. Retry.

#3 6 years ago

Reseating U11 seems to have brought it back. Tested 6 games every game played the new game melody. Thanks!

4 weeks later
#4 6 years ago

Ok this problem is back
I have pulled all chips, carefully cleaned legs with a fiberglass eraser and reseated. Reflowed solder on all pins on the MPU and Driver board and cleaned the pins with the eraser and reseated all connectors to all boards. The melody plays when you first turn it on. Plays when you add a credit. Does NOT play when you start a game. Plays when the game is over. What the heck would cause 1 out of 4 melodies to NOT play?

#5 6 years ago

Bump

#6 6 years ago

Also noticing this happening after the game is on for about 5-10 minutes. Works fine the first 2-3 games then like clockwork starts acting up.

#7 6 years ago

The MPU boad dip switches are only read once during power-up. You can change them all you want while the machine is running, the changes will not take effect until you restart the machine. i.e. dip switch 8 isn't your issue.

When the problem occurs, if you restart the machine does the new game melody briefly come back?
When it stops playing the new game melody does it play a single chime instead?

When the problem occurs, if you go to switch test mode does it report any stuck switches?

You said reseating U11 previously fixed it. Did you try what Cody suggested and interchange U10 and U11? (they are the same chip)

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

I can't see any logical reason for what you're experiencing.
The dip switches are only read once during power-up. You can change them all you want while the machine is running, the changes will not take effect until you restart the machine. i.e. dip switch 8 isn't your issue.
When the problem occurs, if you restart the machine does the new game melody briefly come back?
When it stops playing the new game melody does it play a single chime instead?
You said reseating U11 previously fixed it. Did you try what Cody suggested and interchange U10 and U11? (they are the same chip)

Yes when restarting machine (power off/on) melody comes back. When it goes away it makes no noise, just spits out ball 1. However if I turn switch 8 off it does make a single ding for ball one. So I'm thinking the switch itself is good. Also reflowed the solder to that entire switch bank. After I pulled all chips and cleaned I did swap u10 & u11 but still acting up. I think when I thought u11 reseating fixed it, it was because the game was off a while and just was doing what it does now, start up fine then stop working after a bit. All switches are fine. Nothing showing stuck in the test.
Considering replacing U2 and U6 at this point.

#9 6 years ago

Ok new anomaly to add. After the melody stops working, when I go into test mode the game won't reboot when I get to the 12th position. Tests are lights, displays, solenoids, switches, then 1-4 are the high scores and 5-11 are bookkeeping and the 12 should reboot. I get nothing, LED on MPU is not on or blinking. Only does this to me when I get the melody problem.

Always have to turn the game off and on twice to get the MPU LED to blink 7 times and boot. 1st try always gives no LED blink and nothing happens.

#10 6 years ago
#11 6 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Always have to turn the game off and on twice to get the MPU LED to blink 7 times and boot. 1st try always gives no LED blink and nothing happens.

Are you saying you don't even get the quick LED flicker the moment you flick the power switch on when nothing happens?

Quoted from mrm_4:

5-11 are bookkeeping and the 12 should reboot. I get nothing, LED on MPU is not on or blinking.

Go to book-keeping function 11. Look at the MPU LED - it should be dimly lit. Press the self test button to exit self-test and reboot. Does the LED stay dim or does it completely switch off?

Do you have any electronic freeze spray to spray on individual components to try and track down what's playing up when it gets warm?

What's the state of this MPU board with regard to battery corrosion?

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Are you saying you don't even get the quick LED flicker the moment you flick the power switch on when nothing happens?

Go to book-keeping function 11. Look at the MPU LED - it should be dimly lit. Press the self test button to exit self-test and reboot. Does the LED stay dim or does it completely switch off?
Do you have any electronic freeze spray to spray on individual components to try and track down what's playing up when it gets warm?
What's the state of this MPU board with regard to battery corrosion?

Coming out of test mode: on 11 LED is dim red. Push test button again to review. LED goes completely out. GI and back box lights still on, no displays no reboot.

Turn game off then back on: LED gives quick flicker and stays off. GI lights and back box lights on. No display. No reboot.

Wait about 10 mins, everything works again.

#13 6 years ago

No corrosion. There's an external battery pack wired to it. I do not have any freeze spray.

#14 6 years ago

Switch on the game cold. When the game reaches attract mode, tap/wiggle the ROMs. If the game dies doing this your ROM sockets should be replaced.

#15 6 years ago

ROMs are U2 and U6 right?

#16 6 years ago

Started up game. Went into test. Went through entire cycle. Game reboots. Tried flicking, tapping, knocking with nuckles, wiggling, rocking all chips nothing happened. Game stayed active. About 10-15 mins later started a game. No new game melody. Went into test. Same problems. No reboot.

One thing I was thinking about trying is spraying the entire game with gasoline and then tossing a match on it. I heard this works....

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

One thing I was thinking about trying is spraying the entire game with gasoline and then tossing a match on it. I heard this works....

If you do we want to see a video of the result..

Go get a can of freeze spray or compressed air. When the game plays up, spray one component on the MPU board at a time until you can isolate the culprit chip.

BTW, your collection says you've got a Black Jack. Have you tried swapping this board into the Black Jack machine and putting the Black Jack ROMs at U2 and U6 on it?

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

If you do we want to see a video of the result..
Go get a can of freeze spray or compressed air. When the game plays up, spray one component on the MPU board at a time until you can isolate the culprit chip.
BTW, your collection says you've got a Black Jack. Have you tried swapping this board into the Black Jack machine and putting the Black Jack ROMs at U2 and U6 on it?

Black Jack is on my wish list. Just have the TF LE and Mata Hari. I'll get some compressed air on the way home from work and try that tonight. Thanks for hanging in there with me and doing all this trouble shooting. I owe you and Cody a beer.

#19 6 years ago

BTW, are any of your U9, U10 and/or U11 chips "AMI" brand?

#20 6 years ago

Because the game loses V memory I suspect a problem with the 6810 chip. Is this a brown socket MPU?

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

BTW, are any of your U9, U10 and/or U11 chips "AMI" brand?

My schedule got jacked up so I wasn't able to get compressed air and work with the machine tonight. However here is a pic of the board. Looks like U11 has an AMI chip and you can see some one replaced U2 along the way prior to me purchasing the machine.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#22 6 years ago

U2 is original. The violet ceramic ROMs are pretty reliable.

Since you swapped U10 and U11 around with no difference in behavior, that AMI 6820 chip at U11 is probably ok.

Like BigAl56 mentioned it could be your 6810 RAM at U7. Note your 5101 RAM at U8 is an AMI chip.
Hopefully once you can freeze the components individually you'll find the culprit.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-day-another-problem-with-mata-hari and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.