Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by herg
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200501_165355 (resized).jpg
    20200125_213833 (resized).jpg
    connector (resized).jpg
    641522-2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider herg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Should be possible to contract some Chinese manufacturer to make a reasonable facsimile of these though, no?

A couple years ago, I talked with a company called Taiwan King Pin Terminal Co., Ltd. They have a catalog item that is close, P8800ID. I asked them for a quote for the same thing, but turned the way we're used to Z-connectors, and I have drawings for a P839618ID-09-02. There are a number of downsides, though.

1. The connectors are not breakaway, so you either need to order the correct number of pins or spent a lot more labor cutting them to length.
    2. Their MOQ was 5000, and they wanted a $1100 tooling fee. No price per connector was given.
    3. I really don't know what quality they would end up being. I don't have any samples of their other connectors.

3 months later
    #13 4 years ago

Have there been any updates on alternatives for the Z-connectors? Is Stern still using them, say in Stranger Things?

I just used the last of the ones I had, and I'll sell through those in about 5 months. I'm not sure what I'll do once those are gone.

#16 4 years ago

Mouser and Digikey didn't carry them even prior to the shutdown. GPE was the only place I was aware of to get them full sized (24 pin).

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Honest question.....why does this even matter? I hate z-connectors, maybe unreasonably. Never have understood why Stern loves them so much. Do they have a higher mate/demate rating than a molex plug connector would or..?

If I were Stern, I would have ditched them long ago. If I was building new stuff and insisted on using the 0.156" pitch connectors AND still wanted to be able to disconnect stuff like flashers, I'd use the male TE connectors.

641522-2 (resized).jpg641522-2 (resized).jpg

In my case, though, I'm using them for mods, and I have to play nicely with existing Pancon connectors. The TE male connectors do not mate with Pancon female.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

why Z's over just a regular male/female plug housing?

In the cases where they're used, you're connecting wire to wire, so you need a male connector that can be terminated to a wire. For the 0.156" pitch connectors, those didn't exist in the Pancon line. They do in TE, as shown above. You might ask why they have stuck with the 0.156" connectors, but that's a whole other subject.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Okay, so they're using Z connectors *SO THEY CAN USE IDC INSTEAD OF MOLEX*.
    Personally, I hope IDC and z-connectors both burn in hell.

Actually, no. Even if they used the Molex KK crimp and stuff connectors, they still wouldn't have a wire-to-wire solution. They COULD change to a completely different line of connectors to make it work.

For mods, if you need to connect to existing 0.156" female connectors with a cable, a Z-connector (or equivalent) is necessary, even if you're not using IDC.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Uh...okay. I'm just going to concede here, that you're smarter than I am.
    I'm not stupid, but this entire discussion sure makes me question that. I'm getting the feeling there's just a generational barrier here that I'm too young to understand the way some of these terms like "wire to wire" are being used. Whatever...it doesn't matter.

No need to concede. It's not a competition. You're not stupid, and I hope I'm not too old.

Wire-to-wire just mean you're trying to connect one wire to another. You're not connecting to a board in this case. Since you are using both connectors on wires, your choices are limited. With this style of connector (0.156" headers), nearly all of the ones that can be used on wires are female. Wire-to-wire results in female to female, which is where the Z comes in.

This also explains why the DumbAss boards work. They allow you to use board terminated connectors, which gives you male options.

3 months later
    #41 3 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

For the hobby modding guys, in sure there’s a way to 3D print the plastic housing and add the metal pins after the fact.

I decided to give this a try. I'm not sure how practical this really is since it's 30 minutes to print one, then I had to manually press the pins in place. I also don't know where to get the correct pins. These were pulls from the key location of real MWWS156-1624.

20200501_165355 (resized).jpg20200501_165355 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider herg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-connector-mfr-bites-the-dust?tu=herg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.