DEF_1455 (resized).JPG
DEF_1454 (resized).JPG
DEF_1453 (resized).JPG
DEF_1452 (resized).JPG
BAR_0923 (resized).JPG
BAR_0924 (resized).JPG
DEF_1440 (resized).jpg
DEF_1441 (resized).jpg
There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago

Today's progress:

BAR_1208 (resized).jpgBAR_1208 (resized).jpg

I'm not the first one here tearing apart a coindoor, so I'm not going to be too detailed about it.
It's my first old style Williams coindoor though. Wow: I think it has more parts than a Bally coindoor

BAR_1149 (resized).jpgBAR_1149 (resized).jpgBAR_1151 (resized).jpgBAR_1151 (resized).jpg

Few hours later. Everything is cleaned/polished/sanded/etched... Time to put the puzzle back together.

BAR_1210 (resized).jpgBAR_1210 (resized).jpg

#52 5 years ago

Pfew. Done.

BAR_1213 (resized).jpgBAR_1213 (resized).jpgBAR_1212 (resized).jpgBAR_1212 (resized).jpg

I made some variations of blue coindoor labels to match the metal blue paint on the cabinet.
Not sure yet if I'll keep them. Perhaps black labels would look better.

BAR_1216 (resized).jpgBAR_1216 (resized).jpgBAR_1214 (resized).jpgBAR_1214 (resized).jpg

#53 5 years ago

Very sweet.

Do you play your machines with coins or is it in free play mode?

Yves

#54 5 years ago

Yes, all are in free play mode.

#55 5 years ago

Cabinet is done.
Wiring is in place, metal parts, .. only remaining are flipper buttons (ordered) and legs (later).

BAR_1223 (resized).jpgBAR_1223 (resized).jpg

Better than before

BAR_1220_b (resized).jpgBAR_1220_b (resized).jpgBAR_1220 (resized).jpgBAR_1220 (resized).jpgBAR_1219_b (resized).jpgBAR_1219_b (resized).jpgBAR_1219 (resized).jpgBAR_1219 (resized).jpg

#56 5 years ago

Playfield is back with the first layer of protective clearcoat.
I'll let it settle for a while (leaving on a holiday anyway) before sanding it down and proceeding with airbrush repairs.

BAR_1225 (resized).jpgBAR_1225 (resized).jpgBAR_1227 (resized).jpgBAR_1227 (resized).jpg

Overall I'm happy with the very limited gaps left around the inserts. I'm even more happy though that the paintbrush repairs done in the center drawing (yellows and whites) blend in so well with the original print. The yellow flame shape still has to be airbrushed to get rid of the ball swirl.

BAR_1226 (resized).jpgBAR_1226 (resized).jpg

#57 5 years ago

I would not worry too much about the flame, as it blends with the face of the Barracora.
On the other hand, the inserts have been drinking that clearcoat, eagerly....
Even though this is not your final coat, it will require multiple applications of clear with an eye dropper.

Yves

#58 5 years ago

Good work, looks fine

3 weeks later
#59 5 years ago

Back from holidays. Back to this restoration. I missed it

With new chrome legs and flipper buttons the cabinet is now 100% finished. I think black flipper buttons work pretty well with this art package. I also changed to black coindoor labels.

BAR_1233 (resized).jpgBAR_1233 (resized).jpgBAR_1232 (resized).jpgBAR_1232 (resized).jpgBAR_1235 (resized).jpgBAR_1235 (resized).jpg

Back to the playfield now.

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

On the other hand, the inserts have been drinking that clearcoat, eagerly....
Even though this is not your final coat, it will require multiple applications of clear with an eye dropper.

Yes, I've been doing that prior to leaving on holiday and things settled for 3 weeks. Time to sand the playfield, #320 first, #600 next. All gaps and recesses are gone, except for a minor border remaining on 1 insert. It should vanish later in the process.

BAR_1228 (resized).jpgBAR_1228 (resized).jpgBAR_1229 (resized).jpgBAR_1229 (resized).jpgBAR_1230 (resized).jpgBAR_1230 (resized).jpgBAR_1231 (resized).jpgBAR_1231 (resized).jpg

Ready for airbrush repairs. Happy times

BAR_1236 (resized).jpgBAR_1236 (resized).jpgBAR_1239 (resized).jpgBAR_1239 (resized).jpg

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from Highclasspinball:

We should have the films for diner but not for barrocora. So if somebody has a perfect barracorra we could use I could do it. For diner I would just weed a decent sample for the cad....
Regards,
Mirco

This would be a perfect candidate to have Mirco scan so he can reproduce these playfields. Have you consider this?

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from yfz450:

This would be a perfect candidate to have Mirco scan so he can reproduce these playfields. Have you consider this?

For the love of all Barracoras everywhere...please consider doing this!

#63 5 years ago

I can do that. I was planning to scan it again anyway after restoration.
It would then just be matter of properly stitching all those scans together, do some final photoshop touch-ups and to remove the transparent non-printed areas from the artwork (wood, inserts).

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from g94:

I can do that. I was planning to scan it again anyway after restoration.
It would then just be matter of properly stitching all those scans together, do some final photoshop touch-ups and to remove the transparent non-printed areas from the artwork (wood, inserts).

That would be awesome! Thank You!

My Barracora been waiting for a new playfield for a very long time.

#65 5 years ago

Finally: airbrush repairs. My favourite part

Blue first. The remaining ball swirl in the blue areas is very visible and there's damage in the logo.

BAR_1240 (resized).jpgBAR_1240 (resized).jpgBAR_1241 (resized).jpgBAR_1241 (resized).jpg

Damn thin lines...

BAR_1242 (resized).jpgBAR_1242 (resized).jpgBAR_1244 (resized).jpgBAR_1244 (resized).jpg

That was easy: it appears that the guys at Williams used the same blue from Time Fantasy for Barracora. I still had some colour mix.

BAR_1249 (resized).jpgBAR_1249 (resized).jpgBAR_1248 (resized).jpgBAR_1248 (resized).jpg

I'm also trying to fix the scratches and post damage in the dithered areas. There's quite a few. Blue first.

BAR_1245 (resized).jpgBAR_1245 (resized).jpgBAR_1247 (resized).jpgBAR_1247 (resized).jpg

Then black. Slightly humidified to get an idea how it will look once cleared.

BAR_1252 (resized).jpgBAR_1252 (resized).jpg

Orange and red next...

#66 5 years ago

Nice restore, following this for sure.. I recently picked this game up and I am looking for a new back glass does anyone have one or know if they are remaking them?

#67 5 years ago

Thx!

Change of plan: since black is so dominantly present overall as a background colour I opted to paint that first. There's scratches all over the place.

BAR_1257 (resized).jpgBAR_1257 (resized).jpgBAR_1254 (resized).jpgBAR_1254 (resized).jpg

Notice that the artwork and the rollover opening don't match in the top left lane. I'll fix this, and while I'm at it I can also correct the alignment in the other rollover lanes and holes.

BAR_1253 (resized).jpgBAR_1253 (resized).jpgBAR_1255 (resized).jpgBAR_1255 (resized).jpg

Masked and airbrushed.

BAR_1259 (resized).jpgBAR_1259 (resized).jpgBAR_1261 (resized).jpgBAR_1261 (resized).jpgBAR_1264 (resized).jpgBAR_1264 (resized).jpg

Border opacity test on a lightbox.

BAR_1266 (resized).jpgBAR_1266 (resized).jpgBAR_1267 (resized).jpgBAR_1267 (resized).jpg

Remaining: orange, red, woodtones and whites. And the yellow flame-icon on the face

#68 5 years ago

Thankyou for detailing this restore.
I have one about to arrive and it will inspire me so much.

#69 5 years ago

Woodtones today. Partial airbrush over the damage in the saucers, trying to keep as much original wood as possible. Also repainted all rollover lanes to properly align them.

BAR_1271 (resized).jpgBAR_1271 (resized).jpgBAR_1274 (resized).jpgBAR_1274 (resized).jpgBAR_1275 (resized).jpgBAR_1275 (resized).jpgBAR_1276 (resized).jpgBAR_1276 (resized).jpg

I also addressed the yellow flame-icon. Ball swirl and damage is gone. Before-after:

BAR_1273 (resized).jpgBAR_1273 (resized).jpgBAR_1278 (resized).jpgBAR_1278 (resized).jpg

#70 5 years ago

In my experience, airbrushing the whites is one of the most rewarding parts of a playfield resto. Since quite a few GI light holes are out of alignment, I have opted to airbrush the area completely white for now. I will reproduce the wooden border and black outline afterwards. It's worth the effort imo since some holes remain visible after the plastics are back in place.

BAR_1283 (resized).jpgBAR_1283 (resized).jpgBAR_1284 (resized).jpgBAR_1284 (resized).jpg

All masked. And airbrushed.

BAR_1287 (resized).jpgBAR_1287 (resized).jpgBAR_1289 (resized).jpgBAR_1289 (resized).jpg

Happy so far. I think I'm 80% done now. There's some remaining touch-ups in the black areas and then I think I'll have the playfield cleared before proceeding.

BAR_1296 (resized).jpgBAR_1296 (resized).jpgBAR_1295 (resized).jpgBAR_1295 (resized).jpg

#71 5 years ago

As said quite a few GI light holes were out of alignment. Fixed now. Wood first, black border next.

BAR_1298 (resized).jpgBAR_1298 (resized).jpgBAR_1300 (resized).jpgBAR_1300 (resized).jpgBAR_1302 (resized).jpgBAR_1302 (resized).jpgBAR_1303 (resized).jpgBAR_1303 (resized).jpg

The playfield is ready for a protective layer of clearcoat. I'm happy with the progress so far.

BAR_1299 (resized).jpgBAR_1299 (resized).jpg

#72 5 years ago

Lovely!

#73 5 years ago

Awesome work. Thanks for posting so much detail.

Would anyone have detailed cabinet plans for Barracora (and/or Medusa) at all as my project is too far gone for me to repair I think. Thankyou.

#74 5 years ago

Thanks for the kind words...

Quoted from KJS:

Would anyone have detailed cabinet plans for Barracora (and/or Medusa) at all as my project is too far gone for me to repair I think

Cabinet as such: no. But I can send you a pdf or illustrator file with the stencils if that's of any help. PM me your email address and I'll Wetransfer the file.

#75 5 years ago

Whilst waiting for the playfield I've scanned my plastic set and drew plastic protectors in Illustrator. I created precise vector outlines on the plastic borders whilst adding 2pt extra protection where the ball can hit the plastic.

2018-09-30-at-16.46.23 (resized).jpg2018-09-30-at-16.46.23 (resized).jpg2018-09-30-at-16.47.34 (resized).jpg2018-09-30-at-16.47.34 (resized).jpg

Here's a combined file with clear protectors for Defender, Barracora and Quicksilver. Ready to be lasercut from 2mm polycarbonate.

I had some space left and added a few extra protector sets for the slingshots and the center plastic on Quicksilver. And also some clear lane guide sets for Eight Ball Deluxe. Drop me a PM if interested.

2018-09-30-at-16.46.24 (resized).jpg2018-09-30-at-16.46.24 (resized).jpg

#76 5 years ago

The playfield is back! It was cleared yesterday. I'll let it settle until after the weekend and will then sand it flat for the final airbrush repairs. I'm happy with how things shape up so far.

BAR_1304 (resized).jpgBAR_1304 (resized).jpg

#77 5 years ago
Quoted from g94:

It was cleared yesterday. I'll let it settle until after the weekend and will then sand it flat for the final airbrush repairs.

???? After the final clearcoating?

Yves

#78 5 years ago

This was the second clearcoat session. I still have to do some touch-ups and orange/red repairs. The final clearcoating will happen next.

#79 5 years ago

Friggin' awesome makker!

#80 5 years ago

With the protective clearcoat on the playfield, I consider this the best moment to tackle the bottom side.
Major damage has been filled, including all holes from the wire harness brackets (some were loose) and staples (cleaner).

DEF_1440 (resized).jpgDEF_1440 (resized).jpgDEF_1441 (resized).jpgDEF_1441 (resized).jpg

2 coats of grey acrylic paint and 1 layer of satin clear applied. It is an improvement

DEF_1442 (resized).jpgDEF_1442 (resized).jpg

#81 5 years ago

Wow....just WOW!

#83 5 years ago

Amazing job on the playfield! Hey I am sure you took plenty of pictures. Do you have a picture of the old flipper mech and the wiring to it.. My right flipper is dead and I think someone switched up the wiring on it..

#84 5 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Do you have a picture of the old flipper mech and the wiring to it.. My right flipper is dead and I think someone switched up the wiring on it..

Here you go...

BAR_0923 (resized).JPGBAR_0923 (resized).JPGBAR_0924 (resized).JPGBAR_0924 (resized).JPG

#85 5 years ago

Thanks man, let me know if you need any pictures down the road.

#86 5 years ago

Back to the topside. There's some scratches and missing paint chips in the orange and dark red areas. Since they are not adjacent I think it's possible to address them both using the same Frisk mask. Orange first.

DEF_1452 (resized).JPGDEF_1452 (resized).JPGDEF_1453 (resized).JPGDEF_1453 (resized).JPG

And airbrushed. Createx opaque orange straight from the bottle was a perfect match, too easy

DEF_1454 (resized).JPGDEF_1454 (resized).JPGDEF_1455 (resized).JPGDEF_1455 (resized).JPG

Enough fun for today. Dark red tomorrow...

#87 5 years ago

Red done.

DEF_1461 (resized).jpgDEF_1461 (resized).jpg

That was the final colour. Apart from some very minor touch-ups, the playfield is now ready for final clearcoat. According to my notes I spent about 35 hrs on airbrush repaints and touch-ups, which is a lot more time than I had anticipated in the beginning. Nonetheless I think it was worth the effort.

Here are some before-after shots.

DEF_1463_b (resized).jpgDEF_1463_b (resized).jpgDEF_1463 (resized).jpgDEF_1463 (resized).jpg

Drop target area.

DEF_1464_b (resized).jpgDEF_1464_b (resized).jpgDEF_1464 (resized).jpgDEF_1464 (resized).jpg

Area above the bumpers.

DEF_1465_b (resized).jpgDEF_1465_b (resized).jpgDEF_1465 (resized).jpgDEF_1465 (resized).jpg

#88 5 years ago

Looks sweet!

1 month later
#89 5 years ago

I've been following this but haven't said anything yet.. envious of your skill, attention to detail, and apparent availability of free time!

I miss my Barracora. It was in roughly similar, if not a bit better condition, than yours. I shouldn't have sold it! Fun game. Yours is turning out beautifully.

Richard

3 weeks later
#90 5 years ago

This is absolutely amazing work. I have been following along for a while now and just got my own machine to restore, it is a Blackout. I have to repaint almost every color on the play field. Do you have any tips on masking the circular inserts? I'm curious how you approached them on yours when you did the black? How did you get such perfect circles? Thanks.

#91 5 years ago

Thank you

Quoted from Steinke:

Do you have any tips on masking the circular inserts? I'm curious how you approached them on yours when you did the black? How did you get such perfect circles?

I'm using a Cricut Air2 to make the masks for the insert borders.

#92 5 years ago

It's been a while since last update. Ouch, I've been terribly lazy lately. My workplace looks the same since two months. I only need a few hours to get the Defender up and running, but even that didn't happen yet

IMG_20190107_165543 (resized).jpgIMG_20190107_165543 (resized).jpg

I hope to get back to work soon, get the Defender out of the way and proceed with Barracora.

2 weeks later
#93 5 years ago
Quoted from g94:

I've sanded the head and cabinet and both got 3 layers of semi-gloss clear. I don't like my games to be too glossy. I think this is close to the original shine. Difficult to catch on camera though...
[quoted image][quoted image]
Rebuilt has begun.
[quoted image]
Similarly to my Time Fantasy, I'm routing the ground wire via the right side of the cabinet instead of left as Williams originally did. After all it's just matter of connecting the metal parts, it doesn't matter how the ground wire is arranged. But this lay-out gives me a nice support for the always loose and sloppy line cord.
[quoted image][quoted image]

It's been a few weeks, is it finished? Great work, I'm very impressed. Ha, sorry I'm impatient.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lodi, WI
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 16.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Myers, FL
Tools
Pincoder Store

There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-barracora-screaming-for-attention/page/2?hl=arcane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.