(Topic ID: 150565)

Another Bang For Your Buck Thread (Under $3000)

By weaverj

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Pick Your Bang For Buck Pin (Under $3000)”

• Whirlwind 15 votes
      9%
    • Judge Dredd 35 votes
      22%
    • The Getaway: High Speed II 20 votes
      13%
    • Fish Tales 38 votes
      24%
    • Elvira and the Party Monsters 6 votes
      4%
    • The Machine: Bride of Pinbot 8 votes
      5%
    • Tales from the Crypt 7 votes
      4%
    • Black Rose 4 votes
      3%
    • Other 27 votes
      17%

(160 votes)

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

so i did some work and i figured i'd share with everybody. i did an average of ss pinball ratings (sorry em guys) from pinside and ipdb, then just looked for machines with a high estimated value of less than $3000 on pinside. might not be the most accurate market value, but didn't feel like putting more effort into that aspect of this thing. that's it; here's the list:

1. Whirlwind $2470
    2. Judge Dredd $2370
    3. The Getaway: High Speed II $2470
    4. Fish Tales $2580
    5. Elvira and the Party Monsters $2470
    6. The Machine: Bride of Pinbot $2150
    7. Tales from the Crypt $2580
    8. Black Rose $2370
    9. Jurassic Park $2580
    10. Terminator 2: Judgment Day $2470

#2 8 years ago

They are all great games, but my vote goes to Black Rose. I still love playing it and I've had it for years.

#3 8 years ago

i'm on JD. widebody, dmd, dcs. pretty insane.

#4 8 years ago

My vote is on The Getaway: High Speed II!

#6 8 years ago

it's like back in the day, when you'd go to the bar/club friday/saturday night. you're seeing 10 "hot" chicks you'd do, but by the end of the night there was definitely a specific one you were eyeing up...and you want to put some quarters in her.

#7 8 years ago

Johnny Mnemonic is great bang for the buck

#8 8 years ago

he's listed at $3120, high estimated value on pinside. at $2999, he'd be #1 actually.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from weaverj:

he's listed at $3120, high estimated value on pinside. at $2999, he'd be #1 actually.

Wow, I didn't realize it had crossed the 3k threshold

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Wow, I didn't realize it had crossed the 3k threshold

It hasn't. A nice one just sold for no more than 2,750 and there's another a few hours from me on CL for 2,400.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-bram-stokers-dracula-williams-1993-1995

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Johnny Mnemonic is great bang for the buck

the consolation bracket looks like this:

11. Taxi $2040
    12. World Cup Soccer $2580
    13. High Speed $1290
    14. Diner $2040
    15. Doctor Who $2900
    16. Pinbot $1610
    17. Earthshaker $1940
    18. Johnny Mnemonic $2580
    19. Stargate $2150
    20. Cyclone $2470

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinballNewb:

It hasn't. A nice one just sold for no more than 2,750 and there's another a few hours from me on CL for 2,400.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-bram-stokers-dracula-williams-1993-1995

yeah, didn't do a ton of research on pricing.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinballNewb:

Yea but a good many have also been selling for 3k and well over that . Its definitely been climbing for a few years now and for good reason . Glad I got mine right before they become super popular bc its one my favorites. I really like ft the best of the ones listed in the poll tho

#14 8 years ago

Bsd, shadow, wcs, wpt, Whirlwind, HS2. My favorites. Love them!

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from weaverj:

...and you want to put some quarters in her.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Yea but a good many have also been selling for 3k and well over that . Its definitely been climbing for a few years now and for good reason . Glad I got mine right before they become super popular bc its one my favorites. I really like ft the best of the ones listed in the poll tho

Fair enough, but if one is of the bang for buck mindset you aren't looking for examples that would be on the high end of the pricing spectrum for that pin.

#17 8 years ago

having a few beers tonight .

#18 8 years ago

Just picked up a nice jd for 2100. Great game, tons of shots, Good rules and art.

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Just picked up a nice jd for 2100. Great game, tons of shots, Good rules and art.

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from weaverj:

(sorry em guys)

Sorry EM guys? Judge Dredd is a $1400 game! folks

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

i'm only listing ss games.

where can i pickup?

#22 8 years ago

Day late and a dollar short.

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Day late and a dollar short.

sob.

#24 8 years ago

i went with high estimated value on pinside that way any donkey with a search engine could probably find a pin for sale under $3000. this doesn't take into account really sifting forums and stuff like craigslist. i've never looked on the latter. maybe i should...

#25 8 years ago

With the machines you have listed I think JD is the best of the bunch, HS2 is a close 2nd
    BSD is a great game that you don't have listed and would prob be at the top of the list if your into that theme

#26 8 years ago

Just search Pinside for a "best game under $2000" thread from eight months ago.

The list would be the same, probably both because they weren't under $2000 then and because of pinflation.

#27 8 years ago

Stargate, if it said stern, or williams it would be 5k. Its a super Le. Its deep and has killer toys.

#28 8 years ago

Kind of sad: to define "Bang for your buck" one has to choose as a threshold "under $3k"
    It was probably half that or less a decade ago.
    Hope it won't be $6k in 2026...

#29 8 years ago

On one hand the higher prices are a symptom of increased demand which is good for the hobby, but as someone interested in getting their first pin the prices are off putting. The price point on the bang for your buck pins in my area are 3k+ in many cases. Only thing keeping me going in the hobby is the fact I drive through Portland regularly, where pinball is plentiful.

#30 8 years ago

Why F-14 Tomcat was excluded from the list is unusual.

#31 8 years ago

JP is a great value game. The Trex eating the ball is cool. It's got several multi ball modes including a 6 ball multi. If you complete all the modes the game does a system shut down and starts back up. When I first got mine I had no idea it did that. Scared the crap out of me when it shut down because I thought my game had died....then it restarted and it was pretty bad ass.

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Why F-14 Tomcat was excluded from the list is unusual.

ranked #116 on here and #104 on ipdb. the top 20 presented has an average ranking of at least 75th.

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

JP is a great value game. The Trex eating the ball is cool. It's got several multi ball modes including a 6 ball multi. If you complete all the modes the game does a system shut down and starts back up. When I first got mine I had no idea it did that. Scared the crap out of me when it shut down because I thought my game had died....then it restarted and it was pretty bad ass.

that does sound cool.

#34 8 years ago

Black Rose rated higher than F-14 Tomcat?
    You have to be joking.
    Black Rose is borderline clunky in design.
    The wireform down the middle of the playfield is detrimental.
    Shot flow is average.
    Skill shot is a repeat of games like T2, TFTC, and many others.
    Music is average.
    A DMD or animations is not a salvation.
    Maintenance is average.

Where is BSD or DW?
    Both "sub $3000" games is that should be at the top of the list.
    I do not see either one.
    "PinSide" rates both at less than #75.
    Both are skyrocketing in inflated price because new collectors are finally figuring out they are "good" games.

There are DOZENS of quality games that are less than $3000, and none of them are listed here.
    SoF? Transporter? Pinbot? Taxi?
    This is just a few starters on the Bally/Williams side alone.

The number one problem with "lists" is that are misrepresentative of quality of machines.
    They are completely skewed.
    This is why games like Stern's FG rate higher than DW, this is absurd.
    90 out of 100 people have never even played most machines, or if they have, it was one that did not properly work.
    That is why games like ToM and TOTAN are so overrated.
    "Well I was told it was really cool" or "I played it once and I really liked it".

Too many new collectors.
    I will add my BR rating, and provide a full write up.
    I have owned or still own ever single game on this list along hundreds more.
    Most of these games are solid, BR is weakest of the lot.

#35 8 years ago

BR is a much better game than F14.

I'm confused by your comment..

#36 8 years ago

Where is BSD or DW?

it is. don't shoot the messenger.

reading ownz u. i've repeatedly said where i was getting the under $3000 figure.

post 11, donkey.

#37 8 years ago

Cyclone is a $2,470 game folks!

#38 8 years ago

You have to be joking.
    Black Rose is borderline clunky in design.
    The wireform down the middle of the playfield is detrimental.
    Shot flow is average.
    Skill shot is a repeat of games like T2, TFTC, and many others.
    Music is average.
    A DMD or animations is not a salvation.
    Maintenance is average.
    Where is BSD or DW?
    I do not see either one.
    "PinSide" rates both at less than #75.
    Both are skyrocketing in inflated price because new collectors are finally figuring out they are "good" games.
    There are DOZENS of quality games that are less than $3000, and none of them are listed here.
    This is just a few starters on the Bally/Williams side alone.
    The number one problem with "lists" is that are misrepresentative of quality of machines.
    They are completely skewed.
    This is why games like Stern's FG rate higher than DW, this is absurd.
    90 out of 100 people have never even played most machines, or if they have, it was one that did not properly work.
    That is why games like ToM and TOTAN are so overrated.
    "Well I was told it was really cool" or "I played it once and I really liked it".
    Too many new collectors.
    I will add my BR rating, and provide a full write up.
    I have owned or still own ever single game on this list along hundreds more.
    Most of these games are solid, BR is weakest of the lot.

Remember, these are all subjective opinions. I've played both extensively, like many others on here. And yes, I'm a "collector" as well as a hobbiest and player.

#39 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinballNewb:

Cyclone is a $2,470 game folks!

You are correct!

#40 8 years ago

btw, if someone had a gun to my head and said buy a BR or F14, i'd probably buy the tomcat. also, i absolutely adore Taxi.

#41 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Nah, the guy that sold me mine swore it was a $750 pin! So tired of this crap. BIOYA, instead of on Pinside.

You got JD mixed up with Stern Viper. That's the $1400 pin... First forum page confirms it!

#42 8 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Remember, these are all subjective opinions. I've played both extensively, like many others on here. And yes, I'm a "collector" as well as a hobbiest and player.

It's funny that people get worked up about polls, lists and rankings. They are purely opinions people.

#43 8 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

BIOYA, instead of on Pinside.

Would you like that BIOYA in any particular direction?

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from weaverj:

btw, if someone had a gun to my head and said buy a BR or F14, i'd probably buy the tomcat. also, i absolutely adore Taxi.

Taxi ftw...Yesssss!

For real though, the answer is The Shadow and it's not at all because I own it. I'm super cereal.

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinballNewb:

For real though, the answer is The Shadow and it's not at all because I own it. I'm super cereal.

at $2999, he'd be #1 on the list.

#46 8 years ago

Jd all the way. Wheres demo man? How about lah?

#47 8 years ago
    Quoted from joekiss:

Jd all the way. Wheres demo man? How about lah?

DM was 23rd. i hope to be looking at one this weekend...

#48 8 years ago

What's a Shadow worth now? If it's in the $3K range, that's your best bang for the buck.

JD gets old fast. Cann't believe people are recommending that game.

DW is annoying and boring. Other than the MB, it truely has nothing going for it. I had one. Loved it for a month. Then couldn't wait to get rid of it. Guy I sold it to loved it for about a month then sold it. It seriously gets old.

Out of your list, I'd vote Fish Tales or Get Away. Neither are super deep, but they are just plain fun. Hunt around enough and you might be able to get a Get Away for $2K and have enough left over for a cheap Sys. 11 or a couple of EMs.

#49 8 years ago

I thnk the best game for the money is Lethal Weapon 3. Tell me where you can get that gameplay for less? You can snag them for around $1500 all over. DMD for $1500? A diamond in the rough.

#50 8 years ago
    Quoted from thadawkins:

I thnk the best game for the money is Lethal Weapon 3. Tell me where you can get that gameplay for less? You can snag them for around $1500 all over. DMD for $1500? A diamond in the rough.

and mel's hair.

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-bang-for-your-buck-list-under-3000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.