IMG_1402c.jpg
IMG_1402c.jpg
Terminals.png
IMG_20160507_130154244_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160507_120047269_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160505_112317549_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160507_115115945_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160507_115056278_(resized).jpg
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 7 years ago

Meaning? Is the problem possibly caused by one of the boards I'm waiting for? Such as the SDB?

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from jjammo1:

Meaning? Is the problem possibly caused by one of the boards I'm waiting for? Such as the SDB?

No, it means that you have a bad diode in that chain, or there is a wire off in that chain.

Time to get the meter out.

Look on the A6 page of the schematic and follow those wires

#53 7 years ago

Me? A Schematic? Best I can do at this point is verify the wires are all connected and test the diodes. So far the diodes have checked out on the problem parts I mentioned. I'll try to check all the ones I can see.

#55 7 years ago

Thanks for those. I do have hard copies too. My electronic abilities are minimal. I've done more diagnostics on this machine than ever before. Learned a lot already. I've checked every diode I can see and they all check out. The wire braid has continuity all the way through on both sides.

#56 7 years ago

The kickouts and drop targets were working until I replaced the MPU a few days ago.

#57 7 years ago
Quoted from jjammo1:

The kickouts and drop targets were working until I replaced the MPU a few days ago.

Put the original MPU back in and see if it works.

It's not impossible to have a bad MPU (but unlikely).

Remember that ALL the female connectors on an old Bally need to have their contacts replaced if you want 100% bulletproof operation.

At least repin the J2 female connector for the MPU.

#58 7 years ago

UNBELIEVEABLE!!! I put the old MPU board in, minus the corroded battery. The machine works perfectly!! I'll contact Marco Spec tomorrow. Looks like I spent a lot of money for nothing. The kickouts, drop targets, and even the pop bumpers work better. They actually bump the ball instead of just giving points. Thought I needed to fix those too.

#59 7 years ago
Quoted from jjammo1:

UNBELIEVEABLE!!! I put the old MPU board in, minus the corroded battery. The machine works perfectly!! I'll contact Marco Spec tomorrow. Looks like I spent a lot of money for nothing. The kickouts, drop targets, and even the pop bumpers work better. They actually bump the ball instead of just giving points. Thought I needed to fix those too.

Probably not a bad new MPU, more likely bad connections & moving it in & out you found a sweet spot on the connectors that work for the time being. Newbies always want to start replacing boards.

#60 7 years ago

Since the old MPU had the corrosion I figured it was needed. I'm running it without the battery. I'll swap them out once I figure out the problem with the new board. For now I'm a Happy Camper thanks to all the help from everybody on here.

#61 7 years ago

Did you try this I mentioned earlier? At least you'll see with your eyes where the problem might be:
If so, you can retention the terminals for the short term until you repin.

Quoted from Quench:

2. Pull J2 off the MPU board (it's the wiring harness to the playfield switches). Look through the connector for any gaps that look like the connector terminals won't make good contact with the header pins on the MPU board they plug into. See pic.
IMG_1402c.jpgIMG_1402c.jpg

#62 7 years ago

I have a connector rebuild kit and Molex crimper coming. I'll try the new board again after I rebuild the connectors. This machine is a blast to play. I didn't realize it could be so fast. I love it! I won't be able to set the high scores or other bookkeeping data until I can use the new board.

#63 7 years ago

Update: I called Dave at Alltec. Problem solved. I installed the new board with the screw in the upper rt corner like the old board. This was incorrect. In the new board, the screw goes in the lower left corner. The way I had it was shorting out the board. My mistake, corrected by Dave. The new Utimate MPU works like a champ. Displays and lights appear to be brighter too. Lesson learned. Pay close attention to installation instructions in the manual. Thanks again to everybody.

#64 7 years ago

Glad she's better now.

#65 7 years ago

Glad you got the beauty working. Those repro boards are a lifesaver.

#66 7 years ago

Although it turned out to be unnecessary to replace all the boards, I now have all four of them to upgrade. The only remaining issues are a few lights not working which is not the bulbs. I need to replace some light sockets. Occasionally something sticks and points continue to rack up when it shouldn't. I need to track down where from. I suspect it's one of my drop targets. Anyway, enjoying the game.

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from jjammo1:

I need to track down where from.

Take the ball out and go into switch test mode.

It wont take more than a few seconds.

2 months later
#68 7 years ago
Quoted from jjammo1:

I didn't realize it could be so fast. I love it!

A lot of these early Ballys are like that. I had Mata Hari, and my Space Invaders is pretty much the same way.

slow
slow
FAST
FAST
FAST
WHAM! Down the drain!

#69 7 years ago

Please post pictures of the beast running. I love that pinball machine.

Yves

#70 7 years ago

If you replace those plasma displays with LED's let me know if you would sell the old plasma's. Thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 69.00
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-bally-ss-mata-hari-newbie/page/2?hl=jjammo1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.