• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0Knockout-Work-03 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

1st time owner/poster

Game: 1975 Bally Knockout. I've had it for a couple of months, and other than having to adjust a relay for the center kick-out hole, it's played fine.
Issue: I was playing a game and the play field & backglass lights suddenly went out. The machine still plays fine, insomuch as it keeps scores and every bumper/kickout/etc. still works. Just no lights at all.
Skills: Limited. I'm mechanically inclined, generally, but have no experience with reading schematics. I've soldered wires together before, but I've never soldered directly onto electrical components like boards.

I've seen forum posts suggesting that it could be a stuck tilt relay. But would I be correct to assume that a stuck tilt relay would cause the game to be in tilt, meaning it wouldn't otherwise function? I've also seen references to checking/cleaning the jones plug.

I've also looked at the fuses. There are spaces for 4 fuses, but only 3 are there. The 15A fuse is clearly blown. So that's my first guess of what to replace, but I don't want to go in the wrong direction and end up making bigger problems for myself. Funny thing about the blown fuse too, is that the wires are soldered directly onto the 15A fuse instead of onto the holder. The other 2 fuses that are present are hooked up like normal.

So I'm trying to make a checklist of what to do to troubleshoot the issue, any suggestions of where to start?

#2 4 years ago

Check the fuses and also the Lock relay sw. for cleanliness and solid contact.

#3 4 years ago

1) replace fuse holders with nice new ones
2) buy and install correct value fuses (get extra)
3) power on game after steps 1 and 2 and see what happens.

The back box lights (where score reels are located) and playfield lights both go through the lock relay. Could be a dirty contact on the lock relay. Each has it's own contact on the lock relay. So you could loose either playfield or back box independently. Also, each have their own fuse.

#4 4 years ago

#5 4 years ago

The Tilt relay and Tilt do not make the general illumination turn off. The door slam and delay relay will shut down the game (and general illumination).

#6 4 years ago

Hi
I found a (hard to read) part of the schematics here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-knockout-will-not-start#post-4218165 --- see my JPG - I have taken from there - see the switches on the Lock-Relay. Greetings Rolf

0Knockout-Work-03 (resized).jpg0Knockout-Work-03 (resized).jpg
#7 4 years ago

I was finally able to pick up a 15A fuse and get it put in last night, lights came back on. Glad I started small on the checklist before getting into a bigger mess.

Thank you all for the help.

Side note: Soldering in a small space inside of an old wooden box was not the most fun I've ever had. The Mrs wouldn't have let me live down burning down our house if things had gone sideways.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-bally-knockout-issue?hl=skidave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.