30%

(108 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D0B95FB7-2A10-437D-B813-5EB8D1D830C3 (resized).jpeg
2FC72FA8-525F-4461-B177-FEAFF65B52B5 (resized).jpeg

#1 4 years ago

A quick glance at my current collection and past games will show something obvious. I have never owned a Stern (a least not from this century). It’s not to say i haven't played any. I’ve just never felt compelled to own one. But i think its time to add a little more diversity down in the game room.

I have narrowed it down to three that i think i could own and put some serious game time on. I have played all three - LE versions except for SW, which was the pro at a pinball retailer. I know that TWD is revered for its (now) great code and is challenging. LOTR: get ready for marathon ball times. Love the theme, hate the apron art lol. SW i can’t say much other than it would be a huge hit with my kids and the hyper-loop thing looks cool, and the theme of course i like.

I have been chatting to a fellow pinsider about a trade deal for one of these. So if that goes through and this poll convinces me of a different one i may just have to get two

#2 4 years ago

Wheres the poll?
SW for the kids

#3 4 years ago

No poll. I'm out.

#5 4 years ago

My wife and kids love stern Star Wars. TWD and LoTR are both great too and are best for good players. If going for best option for kids or guests, I’d go Star Wars.

#6 4 years ago

Weird i set up the poll, not sure why it didn’t register. I should start another non poll poll to figure that out.

Poll added (again).

#7 4 years ago

To Coz’s point - my kids or guests are non factors. They can play something else if they don’t like the choice. F em.

#8 4 years ago

Well so far it’s not a runaway at all. Very tight race and even the last horse isn't that far behind.

#9 4 years ago

twd is a tough game. it will kick casual players in the butt. lotr is great. good shots lots to do but u will have long ball times. after a long game u might not want to play another game. sw premmy is deep shots are good and casual player friendly.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

twd is a tough game. it will kick casual players in the butt. lotr is great. good shots lots to do but u will have long ball times. after a long game u might not want to play another game. sw premmy is deep shots are good and casual player friendly.

I consider myself a casual player. Mainly because i spend more time working on pins (either friends games or my own projects) than playing them. I’m by no means the best player in our league but have moments of glory Lol. Last time i played CV i made it to Join the Circus. I did not beat it though. But was happy making it there for the first time ever. It’s def a long playtime game.

I think i’m safe with any kind of play style as i have a decent variety of things to play. My kids don’t have much of an attention span for pins but they do enjoy it when they feel they get far into a game.

#11 4 years ago

SW vote for me because of the interesting scoring & mode play.
I prefer the pro but the loop is cool

#12 4 years ago

From your poll I ow TWD and LOTR and have played SW many times I would get TWD.

#13 4 years ago

47 votes so far - i’m looking for at least 100 .

Guess it’s down to 2 now - all good!

#14 4 years ago

GOT premium/LE best out there.MET up there as well

#15 4 years ago

I think if "family friendly" is not a concern, TWD wins this 3 pin imho...finally have one entering my lineup...have enjoyed on location, think it will even be better in a home environment....

#16 4 years ago

No Deadpool? No Metallica?

#17 4 years ago

I own LOTR and absolutely love it...sometimes. If you’re in a certain mood (couple beers, lots of time to chill) there’s nothing like it. So much to do, such a cool journey, you're just oblivious to everything when playing that game. That’s something I need every once in a while so it’ll be here for a while. The other two I haven’t owned but they’re both terrific games. I feel they’re both coded really well but prefer speed of SW. TWD is a game I’m sure I’ll end up with eventually because it’s brutal and we all need to be kicked in the ding-ding from time to time. Plus those DMD dots crack me up.

#18 4 years ago

Tron, it will change your life!!!

#19 4 years ago

The poll ? Is that it ?

#20 4 years ago

I’m sure there are other games that could make the list. But i wanted to narrow the poll down to 3 options. Each one was chosen for a specific reason.

TWD - because it is hard. Its always quick to remind me i suck at pinball. But i think games like this can make you a better player. In a smaller collection i may not of considered it.

LOTR - prob not the best in tournament play with good players in the room. But by myself i like getting lost in a deep game.

SW - theme alone and some satisfying shots. And i spent considerable time looking at different reviews. So kinda the reason i started the poll - Was this game one i needed to pay more attention to?

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Wakky:

The poll ? Is that it ?

Not sure i’m understanding your question.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from Completist:

Not sure i’m understanding your question.

4th option - None of the above

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Completist:

So kinda the reason i started the poll - Was this game one i needed to pay more attention to?

I think you should pay more attention to it...but that doesn't mean you have to own it.
Look, IMDN is a kick ass game that pretty universally respected if not loved, and I sold it and kept my SW. There's something aboot it...a lot of shit going on at the same time I really enjoy...and that's before the multipliers which we all know I like.
Basically you have a poll with no losers; they're all great games. I would take LOTR out of the mix personally and choose betwixt the 2 newbs.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Wakky:

4th option - None of the above

Ohhh. Sure its there - it’s just disguised as the Drain Thread button lmao.

Joking aside - this isnt a ‘which is Stern’s best pin’ and i give only three options. I realize there are other fan favs they made. I could of easily added AC/DC to this. But everyone in my pin circle owns this game so i’ve played it a ton. Don’t feel the need to own it because of that. But its still a great game!

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I would take LOTR out of the mix personally and choose betwixt the 2 newbs.

Yeah i think its down to two now. Not sure where those votes would have gone if LOTR wasn’t in the mix. But if i left it out then i would think the opposite - which votes would of gone to LOTR if i included it?

So it is TWDLE i am looking at doing a trade + cash for. But after watching some diff reviews on youtube i felt i needed to dig deeper. So i started this thread. I value to results as long as there is enough data points.

Quoted from TheLaw:

There's something aboot it...

Not sure if that was intentional but i can speak for all Canadians when i say that we never say aboot!

#26 4 years ago

LOTR, Metallica, twd
Three great Stern titles.
Dont ever Buy any spike games, especially not used ones.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from Completist:

I’m sure there are other games that could make the list. But i wanted to narrow the poll down to 3 options. Each one was chosen for a specific reason.
TWD - because it is hard. Its always quick to remind me i suck at pinball. But i think games like this can make you a better player. In a smaller collection i may not of considered it.
LOTR - prob not the best in tournament play with good players in the room. But by myself i like getting lost in a deep game.
SW - theme alone and some satisfying shots. And i spent considerable time looking at different reviews. So kinda the reason i started the poll - Was this game one i needed to pay more attention to?

These are all just my opinion, in the order you put them.

TWD - Pro. I always liked the Pro. Nasty game, but when you were able to step on its tail and hit it, wow. What a great game. Then I did a temporary trade for one (with my LOTR funny enough), and it was a Premium. I ended up hating it. The biggest thing was that left ramp. It never felt “good”. That shot started annoying me, and then the whole game started annoying me. After about a week I stopped playing it, and every time I tried, it just never came together. There was something about the geometry of the Premium that didn’t work for me. Since then I haven’t bothered to try to bring in the Pro. At some point I will, but it would definitely be Pro over Premium on this one for me.

LOTR - I just sold my second LOTR a month ago. Hands down one of the greatest games ever made. And if I had infinite space, it would still be here. I can’t count how many times I’ve played it over the years. You are correct, it is a horrible tournament game. But alone, there is just so much to do. It’s one of the few games where score is meaningless. Do I remember the first time I broke 100 million? Nope. But do I remember the first time I Destroyed the Ring? You bet I do. And the first time I completed Two Towers, and Fellowship. The game is a quest, a wonderful quest.

SW - Star Wars is the one I’ve played the least. But that is just because I don’t like it. I love Steve Ritchie, but SW feels like it was designed by artificial intelligence that had never met humans. It doesn’t feel like there is a single satisfying shot in the game. Except when your playing it out and the ball gets hung up on the drop targets, then launched into the glass during the ball search The software always felt muddled to me. Games should lead you towards a crescendo, but SW seems to want me to just walk around the park and never sit on a bench. I know it has its fans, but I’m not one of them.

Stern does have some other great games, but these are the three you asked about.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from lockislit:

GOT premium/LE best out there.MET up there as well

Wait a week to see if the new GoT code makes it new contender? GoT with a colorDMD is pretty great if you can get into it and enjoy the longer ball times.

From your list I’d go LOTR, it’s in my top 3 wants right now along with TSPP and AFM. TWD is fun, but not the theme for me. I don’t have any experience with SW.

#29 4 years ago

Ok so based on the poll i don’t think there are any losers in the mix. As far as polls go i think this one was tight.

Yesterday i went to a local music festival and the headliner was Clutch. Great show but there is a point here. I recently learned that Clutch does the ending credits song for TWD. I just think thats trying to tell me something...

TWD for the win. Thanks everyone for your votes and your comments. All were useful. Note i don’t do polls out of boredom, so i’ll follow up with some pics of a new addition when i bring it in .

Cheers.

#30 4 years ago

Look what wandered in today.

2FC72FA8-525F-4461-B177-FEAFF65B52B5 (resized).jpeg2FC72FA8-525F-4461-B177-FEAFF65B52B5 (resized).jpegD0B95FB7-2A10-437D-B813-5EB8D1D830C3 (resized).jpegD0B95FB7-2A10-437D-B813-5EB8D1D830C3 (resized).jpeg
#31 4 years ago

Congrats.
Great game, hope you enjoy it.

#32 4 years ago

Nice! I wouldn;t mind owning one myself for a bit

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Stern does have some other great games, but these are my opinions on the three you asked about.

Kudos for refraining from nominating games other than those being considered by the OP.
Why do so many people when asked to recommend between A or B or C always insist that D and E are better choices?

(By the way, I'm just lauding your respecting the OP's list of choices. I do not agree with your personal opinion of SW.)

#34 4 years ago

I also appreciated that. I realize there are other games people consider to be of Stern’s best. this pole was only meant to help with choosing my first Stern - not my only or my last

Thanks everyone.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from Completist:

headliner was Clutch. Great show but there is a point here. I recently learned that Clutch does the ending credits song for TWD. I just think thats trying to tell me something...

Back when the show was good (again, opinion), in the episode Nebraska. Clutch came in with The Regulator at the end of a dramatic scene. I don’t think any other song would have fit better.

Congrats on your new game!

#36 4 years ago

Sweet! And it’s an LE! I really love the LE’s art!

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Sweet! And it’s an LE! I really love the LE’s art!

Yeah! I really do love the art as well. There are some great premiums in the Marketplace right now too. This one was just meant to be. I got this in trade for couple pins i was selling and i’m really happy with the deal. I was treated fair by a great Pinsider, the game was delivered and the other two were taken out in no time at all. I should start the opposite thread to the ‘Buying Pins is Brutal’ one. Buying and selling pins is EASY. You just have to do it with the right people!

#38 4 years ago

Are the poll results in another thread? The topic poll in this thread is empty. I'd be interested in seeing the results even though voting isn't necessary anymore.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from Adaminski:

Are the poll results in another thread? The topic poll in this thread is empty. I'd be interested in seeing the results even though voting isn't necessary anymore.

I guess if you “close poll” the poll disappears? Thats all did.

Anyway it was 40% TWD, 31% SW and 29% LOTR. I think around 120 votes. Something like that.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from Completist:

Anyway it was 40% TWD, 31% SW and 29% LOTR. I think around 120 votes. Something like that.

I can still see it. 44 / 32 / 32 = 108

I would play that Diner more than TWD.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from Completist:

Thanks. As a SW and LOTR owner, I was interested.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I would play that Diner more than TWD.

Diner rocks. I love(d) all my Sys 11’s. But i decided i wanted to refine my collection so to speak. Meaning i want 3x games from each of Williams, Bally, Stern and boutique games. So i get down to 12. I’m already kinda cheating giving Williams and Bally (after the merger) two categories. I can’t prioritize Sys 11 over my later WMS like BSD, FT (prob my Fav WMS game) or FH. So i decided to librate the 11’s this month

#44 4 years ago

I have a ton of sterns and love them, but I were new to pinball I would got with a CGC like MMR

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts
Protection
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
Protection
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com
Shooter rods
$ 8.95
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore
Plastics
$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek
Other
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-annoying-opinion-poll and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.