(Topic ID: 265394)

Annoying EM Flipper chatter - What did I do wrong?

By Black_Knight

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by wayner
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

canon03042020 001 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

Rebuilt my Williams GP flippers and getting chatter in the hold position.

They have plenty of power to strike the ball and do not bounce when in hold. They just make a lot of noise and vibrate.

If I touch the plunger with my finger, the vibrations diminish. It's almost like there is too much play in the sleeve? Or something with the new stops? Range of motion is fine and nothing hangs, I can feel it reach the stop.

This is what I did - parts from Marcos:
- replaced EOS switches with new, adjusted and operating properly
- replaced sleeves
- replaced plunger & link - Flipper crank assembly - Williams left, A-8232-L
- replaced coil stop - Coil stop - Williams 3/8" centerline, A-6492
- replaced pf bushing
- added spring washer on plunger end of the coil
- 'squeezed' the coil bracket to tighten the coil a bit
- filed cabinet switches, there is plenty of contact

Did not do:
- Replace the coil, cleaned in and out, tabs and wiring look fine, power to thick wire side, cab switch on far tab with EOS
- Replace the spring, missed the order, but the old one does not bind on anything and appears to work fine
- Replace flippers, but in good working condition

Why are these damn things buzzing so bad? I've read Vid's threads and various other one, and can't figure out what I missed or need to do. Any suggestions are appreciated.

#2 4 years ago

Are you sure that is the correct coil stop for an EM game?

#3 4 years ago

It’s the only 3/8 centered screw stop listed on Marco and the pinball life one has the same specs.

If there is another one out there someone please let me know.

#4 4 years ago

Pinball Resource

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#5 4 years ago

This is usually a broken hold winding on the flipper coil. Since their both doing it however, I would suspect the EOS switches. They might be gapped too close.

#6 4 years ago

Ed- those look like the same I have, but will check with PBR to get the actual dimensions. Are these the ones you use?

Hawk - it’s not the EOS, they open several mm when open. If it was a bad winding, wouldn’t it not hold a ball well or hold when I push the flipper down. This isn’t a symptom, But I’ll swap another coil in to see what happens.

#7 4 years ago

AC coil stops are slightly magnetic so that when the current alternates on and off 60 times a second, it doesn't completely let go, reducing the vibration.
I'm not sure if those stops are the right kind or not. Here's and old CARGPB trick. See if those coils stops are the same size as the stops on your credit unit. They should be, if they are, swap them. The credit unit coils didn't see near as much use and are usually in good shape. If the vibration reduces then you'll know it was the stops.

#9 4 years ago

Funny I just rebuilt the flippers on my Spanish Eyes and both were buzzing like mad no matter what I did. Finally I took a closer look at the new stops that came with the Pinball Resource rebuilt kit and they were the wrong ones! Fortunately a while back I ordered 4 of the correct coil stops (as pictured above by edednedy and still had two of them in my parts drawer. I put the flippers together one last time and made sure everything was good and tight and there is no buzz at all now!

#10 4 years ago

I swapped out the coil stop with an existing one and took care of 99% chatter. Thanks for the suggestion.

I’ll be ordering some of the PBR stops for this machine and my other Williams EMs.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

I swapped out the coil stop with an existing one and took care of 99% chatter. Thanks for the suggestion.
I’ll be ordering some of the PBR stops for this machine and my other Williams EMs.

I’ll be interested in your results. Every one of my flipper rebuilds (with PBR parts) has resulted in “flipper chatter”. I assume you are talking about the buzzing heard when the button is held in.

The only ones that don’t are the later “modular” style flipper assemblies.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Funny I just rebuilt the flippers on my Spanish Eyes and both were buzzing like mad no matter what I did. Finally I took a closer look at the new stops that came with the Pinball Resource rebuilt kit and they were the wrong ones! Fortunately a while back I ordered 4 of the correct coil stops (as pictured above by edednedy and still had two of them in my parts drawer. I put the flippers together one last time and made sure everything was good and tight and there is no buzz at all now!

Quoted from Black_Knight:

I am currently restoring a Bally 1976 Aladdin's Castle and in the process of doing flipper rebuilds having obtained rebuild kits from PBR. I noticed that the original coil stop bracket base is at a perfect right angle to the stem which houses the coil stop. However the PBR brackets are not at a perfect right angle and if installed will not sit flush to the collar of the coil sleeve. This would seem to indicate that the plunger would not hit the coil stop flush and may cause chatter and undue wear. Happy to hear any other observations.

canon03042020 001 (resized).JPGcanon03042020 001 (resized).JPG

The original is on the top flipper pic and the PBR replacement before modification on the bottom flipper. I have finely adjusted the PBR units so they now sit flush with the coil sleeve collar.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Machine - For Sale
Burlington, VT
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/annoying-em-flipper-chatter-what-did-i-do-wrong?hl=gotemwill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.