(Topic ID: 152594)

Announcing the Pinside Marketwatch (v2)!

By robin

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Marketwatch_notification_(resized).png
    Marketwatch_settings_(resized).png
    #1 8 years ago

It's been a while, but after some painstaking hours of coding, debugging and configuring mail servers I have brought the Pinside Marketwatch back from the dead!

The Pinside Marketwatch is basically a notification system that sends you weekly, twice-weekly or daily PM's, listing new games on our marketplace. It only includes your wishlist games, to keep things nice and lean and easy to digest.

My first notification looked like this! Ain't she a beauty?My first notification looked like this! Ain't she a beauty?

Marketwatch PM's, like all other PM's, can be forwarded to your e-mail address. To have all PM's forwarded to your e-mail simply make sure the "PM messages" checkbox is checked (in the E-mail notifications section on that same settings page). and of course make sure you e-mail address is current and that Pinside e-mails ([email protected]) are not going to your spam box.

Due to technical limitations and the problems involved with sending out thousands of e-mails every day, the Marketwatch was disabled a long while ago. But with out new server capacities and the updated PM system, I'm gonna give this another shot. Let's see how it goes!

What do you need to do to receive Marketwatch notifications?

1. Go to your account settings and scroll down to the Marketwatch section.
    2. Select one of the frequencies (weekly, twice-weekly or daily*)
    3. Optionally choose the ASAP mode*, which will make you receive a PM immediately after a game is added to the marketplace (never miss out on great deals again!).

Marketwatch settingsMarketwatch settings

*Whoah, wait a second! What are those red boxes? Pinside+?
    Daily and ASAP notifications are "+ features". These are features targeted specifically towards the heavy users of the site. While I strive to keep Pinside free for all, features that require more resources, such as this one, will be added under the + flag. Read more about + on our donations page!

When?
    The system is now online. The schedule is as follows:
    - Daily Marketwatch PM's are sent out every day (duh) at ~21:00 (9PM) CET.
    - Twice-weekly Marketwatch PM's are sent out Tuesdays and Fridays at ~22:00 (10PM) CET.
    - Weekly Marketwatch PM's are sent out Fridays at ~23:00 (11PM) CET.
    - ASAP notifications... Well... As Soon As (the ad is) Posted!

To find out what CET is, google it!

Bugs? Suggestions? Let me know!

#2 8 years ago

You rock. Donation incoming.

#3 8 years ago

Done, thanks for getting me off the dime (so to speak).

#4 8 years ago

Hi Robin

just got a notification, is there a way to turn it on but just for your country as want to get notifications but not outside Australia if possible.

cheers

#5 8 years ago

This is a neat feature....I don't mind the updates letting me know about pins for sale on my wish list. I do think Robin is better at naming kids than pinside robots......I mean ""Marvin"

#6 8 years ago

I sent a PM, but after I did, I realized it may affect others as well.

I have a monthly donation set up that totals more than the minimum $35 per year. Will this work for Pinside+, or does it require a one time donation over the minimum?

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

Hi Robin
    just got a notification, is there a way to turn it on but just for your country as want to get notifications but not outside Australia if possible.
    cheers

Yes, I would appreciate being able to just receive notifications of games that are in my country (UK) as well.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballerchef:

I do think Robin is better at naming kids than pinside robots......I mean ""Marvin"

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference I would say.

#9 8 years ago

Awesome feature! Thanks Robin!!

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

I have a monthly donation set up that totals more than the minimum $35 per year. Will this work for Pinside+, or does it require a one time donation over the minimum?

Or how about those who just gave 25 bucks last month? Any chance for a catch-up donation, or does it require dropping another $35?

#11 8 years ago

I did my daily pinside checkup and found a message in my box. It was the market watch. Neat feature.

There are some good suggestions here like the cumulative donation that adds up to $35 and the ability to adjust the market watch by distance and maybe get rid of parts or machines for certain titles.

#13 8 years ago

Country selection is a great suggestion. Or, even fancier, it could be radius based.

Cumulative donations makes sense, but a bit hard to implement from a technical viewpoint. If you donated in the past 6 months, contact me with your details (paypal transaction ID would really help) and we'll work something out.

If you are a weekly/monthly supporter, please contact me as well. Not all recurring donators were set to plus. Again, due to technical limitations. I have to tag those subscribers manually.

You can reach me via PM!

#14 8 years ago

+1 for radius. I for one only really look for "within driving distance".

#15 8 years ago

Happy to donate for the plus features for a great site.

#16 8 years ago

Okay, the Marketwatch has been running for a few days now. Hope you all like it so far.

So far I have three things on my list:
    - Improve design of tables, the list of ads looks terrible on mobile.
    - Add some kind of geographic limiting option so you only get notifications for ads in your area.
    - Group Marketwatch notifications in PM system, get them all grouped in one PM thread

Any other ideas? Thoughts? Things to improve?

#17 8 years ago

I would prefer NOT to receive any notifications via PM; I only want to receive email. Ideally, I'd love to get an SMS when a new ad appears matching my search.

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I would prefer NOT to receive any notifications via PM; I only want to receive email.

Agreed, I prefer only an e-mail, not a PM

#19 8 years ago

Email notifications only please.
    + 1
    Mof

#20 8 years ago

Geo-centric and email-only notifications are both awesome ideas.

I know it might be a real pain to implement but a two-tier wishlist system could potentially cut down on the email traffic too. Something like a "Wishlist" and "Saved games" or "Favorite games" or something like that. The tiers could have different settings for notification frequency (i.e. daily for "Wishlist" and weekly or even not at all for the others). That way, we could still keep games of tangential interests on some sort of list, but without having to receive notifications about them (or just getting them less frequently). Also, it would just be a nice feature to have

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I would prefer NOT to receive any notifications via PM; I only want to receive email. Ideally, I'd love to get an SMS when a new ad appears matching my search.

+1 Id like immediate notification.... Cause you gotta move fast or its gone!!!!

#22 8 years ago

Well this made me update my wish list to the few I really want

#23 8 years ago

I have notifications turned off for this and they still come. I eventually had to turn all pinside notices off and miss all the PMs now, oh well. Can't handle anymore emails

#24 8 years ago

Any way to limit this by distance? Would be a more useful feature if the machines are actually within reach.

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

So far I have three things on my list

Done!

- The table design of Marketwatch e-mails was redone to look better on small screens
    - I have now implemented distance limiting. Check your Marketwatch settings to enable it.
    - Marketwatch notifications are now going to be grouped in your PM inbox. No more dozens of separate system PM's but all neatly grouped under one.

Quoted from jrivelli:

I have notifications turned off for this and they still come. I eventually had to turn all pinside notices off and miss all the PMs now, oh well. Can't handle anymore emails

That's weird, I'll look into it.

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

- I have now implemented distance limiting. Check your Marketwatch settings to enable it.

Thanks! (in Account - Your settings / Market Watch)
    I hope to see more FS adds popping up in Europe.

#27 8 years ago

I love getting the marketwatch emails, but there's also a level of disappointment, lol. Everytime my little envelope is bouncing I get happy, then see it's an automated message.

Clearly I'm lonely or something, lol.

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I love getting the marketwatch emails, but there's also a level of disappointment, lol. Everytime my little envelope is bouncing I get happy, then see it's an automated message.
    Clearly I'm lonely or something, lol.

I think the same thing. I wonder if it would be helpful to see two numbers there--one for PMs from other pinsiders, one for automated messages.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announcing-the-pinside-marketwatch-v2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.