Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by dgarrett
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

I'm excited to announce that today we're starting with a new, much requested, feature on Pinside: a pinball business directory.

The goal of this feature is to allow Pinsiders who are running a pinball business of any size (i.e. distributors, repair people, parts suppliers, aftermarket mod makers, restorators etc.) to register their company on Pinside.

This business directory not only benefits the business owners, it's obviously also a great way for the community to find the companies they're looking for. It will also help provide more transparency to the community because company names will show under business Pinsiders' usernames:

Test user Gizza has his company Pinside Testing Inc listed under his name.

Once we get a sizeable amount of sign ups, we will launch the actual biz index, a new main section on the site that will conveniently list all pin biz entries, not unlike how we are already indexing and listing places to play pinball on our pinball map.

In the future, we hope to be offering cool features aimed at those businesses, helping them promote and/or even sell their products and/or services on Pinside. Ideas include options to create ad campaigns in some form, get word out about your products. But we can also imagine offering shops directly on Pinside, and having features like the ability to create invite-only forum threads or announcement threads, ways to get a "Pinside validated" stamp. And more.

TL;DR
    Are you a pinball business? Registration is free. Sign up your business now!

Note: All of the above is in early beta status. When we decide to leave beta status, all people with a company conducting business on Pinside will be required to register, in order for the community to get maximum transparency who's working for what company. Please let me know if you have questions or ideas to improve this concept.

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

. Please let me know if you have questions or ideas to improve this concept.

Add Instagram

#4 5 years ago

Nice! Thanks!

#5 5 years ago

this will make things much easier, and probably lead to more $ leaving our wallets.....

#6 5 years ago

I just added mine. I'm curious to see where this leads.

#7 5 years ago

This sounds like a nice addition to the site

#8 5 years ago

Bravo!!

#9 5 years ago

A couple of questions....

Will it be possible to have accounts for the business as well as a personal account? I know that this has not been allowed in the past but if members are being forced to be registered as a business I'd rather have a business account as well.

Will the business index be used as a way to track transactions by Pinside for he purpose of billing "businesses" for doing business on Pinside?

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

I just added mine. I'm curious to see where this leads.

Well, to start it changed your title from "Pinside member" to "LED OCD".

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

A couple of questions....
    Will it be possible to have accounts for the business as well as a personal account? I know that this has not been allowed in the past but if members are being forced to be registered as a business I'd rather have a business account as well.
    Will the business index be used as a way to track transactions by Pinside for he purpose of billing "businesses" for doing business on Pinside?

I can see this being a thing.. often time (same case for Moderators), the folks may wanna post something that isn't endorsed by their company..

#12 5 years ago

Neat, now I can see that NiftyLED represents Nifty LED.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

I can see this being a thing.. often time (same case for Moderators), the folks may wanna post something that isn't endorsed by their company..

Maybe include a checkbox under the post box or near the "send post" button that says something like "include business information with this post" and have it checked by default. So, someone can uncheck it if they are not representing the business for a particular post.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Maybe include a checkbox under the post box or near the "send post" button that says something like "include business information with this post" and have it checked by default. So, someone can uncheck it if they are not representing the business for a particular post.

yeah, something like that. On Facebook I can toggle between posting as myself, my pinball business or as the podcast I do.

Would also be nice to have separate email accounts.

#15 5 years ago

No brainer. Great job Robin and team. Some very talented and helpful people in this hobby.

#16 5 years ago

LOVE IT!!!

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

When we decide to leave beta status, all people with a company conducting business on Pinside will be required to register, in order for the community to get maximum transparency who's working for what company.

Hmm. So take me for instance.

I do my own mods. Plan on keeping doing them, they're fun and people like them. Don't have an official company name, but whatever, Aurich Mods or something, who cares. I'll figure that out. No problem, love the idea, sold.

I'm working on Alien. I'm not a Heighway employee, and I will no longer be doing games with them after Alien, at least for the foreseeable future. Ready to go back to doing my own projects, not work for someone else, not a diss on Heighway or anything.

So under this system, what would I put down?

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Does the system allow a member to be part of two companies at once? It seems like it should. Businesses are separate entities, and a member can be a part of multiple. How that gets displayed succinctly for things like next to your Avater, however, is tricky.

#19 5 years ago

Will we ordinary members be able to leave feedback?

There are a lot of guys here offering mods made in their garage. The majority are good people to deal with, but I have been ripped off a couple of times

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Hmm. So take me for instance.
    I do my own mods. Plan on keeping doing them, they're fun and people like them. Don't have an official company name, but whatever, Aurich Mods or something, who cares. I'll figure that out. No problem, love the idea, sold.

I'm in the same boat. Without a company name, I'm going to take for granted I just use my own name?

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I'm in the same boat. Without a company name, I'm going to take for granted I just use my own name?

Make one up?

"Brian Kelly Pinball Restorations"

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I thought your biz name was Chrome Pimp Daddy

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Make one up?
    "Brian Kelly Pinball Restorations"

I don't want a company name. I'll leave it at that.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

I thought your biz name was Chrome Pimp Daddy

LOL My eyes still hurt after doing your CFTBL.

#26 5 years ago

I went to sign up then stopped because the form REQUIRES a business address.
    Mine is a home-based business; I do not want it listed "at the address level" due to privacy concerns.
    Please consider allowing ZIPcodes only for home based businesses.

Oh; make this sticky.

#27 5 years ago

Oh yeah, I'm not comfortable with putting in a phone number and address.

I'm just a dude. This is my house and my cell phone. Ask anyone who's ever dealt with me how hard I am to reach, but there's a level of comfort I just don't have with sharing.

Frankly I've had people from Pinside call and abuse me over the phone because I was dumb enough to give out my number, there's just no way I'm doing it publicly.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I'm just a dude. This is my house and my cell phone. Ask anyone who's ever dealt with me how hard I am to reach, but there's a level of comfort I just don't have with sharing.
    Frankly I've had people from Pinside call and abuse me over the phone because I was dumb enough to give out my number, there's just no way I'm doing it publicly.

You will have to when they introduce pinside dating

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Theres always Google Voice to get something that allows you to screen your calls....

As far as address, we have had people email/call saying "How do you expect me to do business with you if you wont post your address?!!"

#31 5 years ago

You can have it just list your city. I also don't believe it shows a phone number, at least not that I can tell.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

I also don't believe it shows a phone number

It didn't make me enter one.

#33 5 years ago

My objections are withdrawn, listing just city and no phone number works great, so no problem.

I'll worry about the Heighway thing later, it's a contract job, my mod making is my "permanent" listing anyways.

Looking forward to seeing this grow Robin!

#34 5 years ago

great idea, i'm in.

will add more infos later, website etc....

#35 5 years ago

I applaud this move from PinSide. It'll make things much easier for me as a newb.

Regarding Google Voice for protecting your personal number; it works well. Perhaps it is another system to 'manage' for some folks. But if you need to communicate for business, while not being contacted at all hours of the day across all time-zones -- it just works.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Hey Aurich, PM me your number.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Frankly I've had people from Pinside call and abuse me over the phone

You think? our logs show 24/7 calls.

#38 5 years ago

FAST Pinball is in. Thanks Robin!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

You think? our logs show 24/7 calls.

You told me only to call after 3am, and in the *husky* voice you like so much.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

You told me only to call after 3am, and in the *husky* voice you like so much.

Bwahaha!

#41 5 years ago

Looks good. Please take the address requirement away from signing up. Some do not need an address listed or want their address listed

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chrizg:

Looks good. Please take the address requirement away from signing up. Some do not need an address listed or want their address listed

Just leave it empty. I did and it accepted me.

#43 5 years ago

Sorry, I meant physical address

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from NiftyLED:

Theres always Google Voice to get something that allows you to screen your calls....
    As far as address, we have had people email/call saying "How do you expect me to do business with you if you wont post your address?!!"

Use Google Voice as well, although the amount of spam calls is insanely annoying

Biggest problem for me personally has been just knowing what is available, this is super awesome how it is listed by the username. Will easily lead to me buying for stuff lol

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chrizg:

Sorry, I meant physical address

My bad, just to clarify, you only need to put city. You can leave street empty.

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

You will have to when they introduce pinside dating

Actually...that could be kinda fun Get matched by how you rate pins! lol

#47 5 years ago

Think it's a great idea and will lead to more sales for those pinsiders who are businesses

#48 5 years ago

Thanks, great feedback so far!

Quoted from TaylorVA:

Yes, I can see the benefit of this and it will most likely be added in some way.

Quoted from TaylorVA:

On Facebook I can toggle between posting as myself, my pinball business or as the podcast I do.

That would be a great way to handle this.

Quoted from TaylorVA:

There are definitely plans to offer services aimed at businesses. And yes, it is likely that we will try to generate some income from offering those features. In what way? Not sure yet. But it's definitely not gonna be some sneaky plot. We want features that benefit three sides: the Pinside community, your "biz" and Pinside. Example: we could offer the small mod makers the option to run a shop on Pinside. Just an example of course, but we're thinking along those lines.

Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

You could simply call your business "Bryan Kelly", I see no problem with that. The whole point of this is to get the forum to be more transparant. If someone is saying that product A sucks, it kind of helps putting that it in perspective when we know that person is actually selling product B, if that makes sense.

Quoted from Zitt:

I went to sign up then stopped because the form REQUIRES a business address

Only city, state, country are mandatory. I figured that a business address would probably be the home address for some home businesses, so street/number is not mandatory.

Quoted from Aurich:

I'm working on Alien. I'm not a Heighway employee, and I will no longer be doing games with them after Alien, at least for the foreseeable future. Ready to go back to doing my own projects, not work for someone else, not a diss on Heighway or anything.

In this specific case, I would say: you are a freelancer. So "Aurich Designs" is great. Maybe, for transparency, you could make mention of doing freelance design work for Heighway (or just "other pinball companies") somewhere in your company intro. By the way, I will be adding an option to include a longer story on your biz page than just that 160 character tagline

#49 5 years ago

Should add a biz category "Route Operator" or something like that.

#50 5 years ago

Im thinking about offering a service where I beat up Low Ballers for angry sellers!!!

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside