Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 77 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by gmkalos
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinside - Aurich (2) (resized).png
    Hide-the-Lounge-anim.gif
    There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 7 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

I come to Pinside for pinball, I can go to Reddit for everything else.

That's great, that's why i come to Pinside.

I don't participate in threads that don't interest me either.

People wade into threads, have the opportunity to deselect or hide them, and then complain about the fact they exist.

Not talking about you but some people will whine, bitch and moan about anything and everything.

#52 7 years ago

That's pretty hilarious.

Quoted from Aurich:

Hey thanks. I feel like I'm back, but grumpier.

I hear you, and I'm good at draining threads. I just don't announce I'm draining them like some people.
    Look, it's no secret what my politics are, I post about them publicly on social media all the time, and pinball people follow me there. But I never promised to not be political in my social stuff, so if you get put on blast there it's not my problem, unfollow or unfriend or mute or whatever.
    But if we're allowing political discussion here it's just much harder to ignore. We're crossing the streams, so to speak. It's hard to see any benefit, and easy to see a ton of downsides. So my two cents is go back to not allowing politics, at all, anywhere. I'm not known for holding my tongue, but I do it here when it comes to politics. If I can do it anyone can!

Yeah it's great to have you back when just a day or so ago you were off kissing tilt forum ass and talking about how much you hate this place.

Are you on some kind of spy mission?

#53 7 years ago

Part of the issue with "no politics" is that Pinside is de facto white, straight, and conservative, which means a: everything tied to those viewpoints is fine but everything else is potentially incendiary and b: Pinside isn't just a neutral pinball discussion forum, because the atmosphere is already political by default. You can't have an LGBT club because then you'd "have to have a straight club" or something, but that's what Pinside already is (how many threads don't have someone making sexual innuendo about women?), which makes it, by nature, uninclusive, or at least offputting to anyone not in that group already. Just my two cents.

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from trunchbull:

Part of the issue with "no politics" is that Pinside is de facto white, straight, and conservative

I don't agree that it's "de facto" this way, you've been in the "Political thread", Pinside is a melting pot of all types of people all over the world.

Nobody says you can't have your "LGBT" club. Or any other club for that matter.

People are who they are and if you try and censor out "sexual innuendo" there will be nobody left here. And those people that complain about it will complain about anything and everything.

Look at the Stern threads, the whining, bitching and moaning that goes on there. The "Innuendo" and jokes about how shitty they are.

I think most people need to take a look in the mirror before they start judging others.

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That's pretty hilarious.

Yeah it's great to have you back when just a day or so ago you were off kissing tilt forum ass and talking about how much you hate this place.
    Are you on some kind of spy mission?

Uh, I have maybe 5 posts on Tilt, I mostly forget about it unless I get their summary email or Bowen links up a thread. Seems like a good forum for tournament nerds and competitive players mostly, and I am neither.

I don't hate Pinside. Feel free to quote me from Facebook if you're going to bring it up.

I hate the sexism that's allowed to flourish here. I think the jokes about women are gross, unwelcoming, and shameful.

I think the personal attacks that are allowed here are unfortunate. When I took a couple months off from reading and posting I made it clear to Robin why I was doing it.

I like gossiping about pinball, seeing and making mods, and just generally being a Pinhead. Pinside is still great for all of that. There's also a side that comes with it that I don't care for, and it's why I don't post like I used to.

Who really cares though? A spy mission? What are we, 12?

#59 7 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I don't hate Pinside. Feel free to quote me from Facebook if you're going to bring it up.

Pinside - Aurich (2) (resized).pngPinside - Aurich (2) (resized).png

#68 7 years ago

I was pleased to read this morning that Robin had closed the Trump v Clinton thread in the new Lounge area. I think it was a good experiment to try and now its time to move forward with the lessons learned.

It's my suggestion that a hard and fast, No Politics rule should be enforced for all areas of Pinside.

(Edit/Add) Religion also.

#69 7 years ago

Wow. Several comments from different Pinsiders' suddenly disappeared from this thread. Not moderated but nuked and in my view they were innocent, average comments. I have to assume this was a glitch?

#70 7 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Uh, I have maybe 5 posts on Tilt, I mostly forget about it unless I get their summary email or Bowen links up a thread. Seems like a good forum for tournament nerds and competitive players mostly, and I am neither.
    I hate the sexism that's allowed to flourish here. I think the jokes about women are gross, unwelcoming, and shameful.
    I think the personal attacks that are allowed here are unfortunate. When I took a couple months off from reading and posting I made it clear to Robin why I was doing it.
    I like gossiping about pinball, seeing and making mods, and just generally being a Pinhead. Pinside is still great for all of that. There's also a side that comes with it that I don't care for, and it's why I don't post like I used to.
    Who really cares though? A spy mission? What are we, 12?

He's actually 13, how dare you insult him.

#71 7 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

A place for mods to dump threads that aren't suppose to be on Pinside in the first place.

Yup

In another community I was a part of... they used a similar model and called it 'The Litter Box' - because its where you dumped all the @%@$

These formats work because they are a form of de-escalating things. Forum topics become runaway when everyone has their 2c to put in and it snowballs.

Try to squash it entirely.. and the goo just goes sideways and spreads around. You don't contain the problem, just get people pissy and then its wack-a-mole time. So instead of censoring entirely.. you aim to de-escalate instead. Moving discussions like this OUT of the main view reduces the # of eyes.. and with the reduced # of eyes, you get reduced replies... and usually the conversation will eventually blow itself out.

It works well, and allows those who have something to say, to continue to do so without dragging the whole site into it as well.

And no it should not be a 'no holds barred' section. It's a way to move things to a side room where things can blow themselves out out of the main view.. not the octagon for death matches.

#72 7 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

When I took a couple months off from reading and posting I made it clear to Robin why I was doing it.

Sounds important

#73 7 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I'm sorry to see that politics is now an okay topic here on Pinside. I'd rather not know who you support, and keep it to talking about something we have in common, pinball, and not something incredibly divisive.

Agreed... 100%. But the politics thread has now disappeared. Poof! Like it was never even there.

So if a thread disappears without making a sound, did it ever even exist?

#74 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I was pleased to read this morning that Robin had closed the Trump v Clinton thread in the new Lounge area.

I noticed the thread was gone (thank God) but where did you read about it being gone?

It just disappeared without a trace.

#75 7 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I noticed the thread was gone (thank God) but where did you read about it being gone?
    It just disappeared without a trace.

Robin posted in that thread as he closed it saying that he would be deleting the thread. Poof. Just like the (K troll) threads that went poof, or the HM troll threads. Standard Pinside operating procedure.

#76 7 years ago
    Quoted from trunchbull:

Part of the issue with "no politics" is that Pinside is de facto white, straight, and conservative, which means a: everything tied to those viewpoints is fine but everything else is potentially incendiary and b: Pinside isn't just a neutral pinball discussion forum, because the atmosphere is already political by default. You can't have an LGBT club because then you'd "have to have a straight club" or something, but that's what Pinside already is (how many threads don't have someone making sexual innuendo about women?), which makes it, by nature, inclusive, or at least offputting to anyone not in that group already. Just my two cents.

That's really disappointing that you've chosen to judge the majority of the members here. In fact categorizing most of us here in what appears to be a very narrow minded way. Politics, religion, race or any other club based on who a person is or identifies with unrelated to pinball needs to go away all together from Pinside or at a minimum be put in the basement in my opinion. I really don't want this group divided into social, political or economic categories. There is enough of that already out there.

With respect to the LGBT club, fair is fair. By opening the door to one group, the door should be open to the rest or none at all. I support the cause, just not on this forum. People want to talk politics, do it somewhere else please. I realize I have a choice on what I read, for now I choose to try to change things so I don't have to watch where I click. I want to know what you have to say about pinball or other fun hobbies, just not on the above topics. I don't want to know if someone is a republican, democrat , liberal straight or whatever. Just tell me what you like about pinball.

#77 7 years ago

The basement is like the bathroom at the bottom of a seedy punk club like the Black Cat in DC in the 90's, I think I'll just piss outside lol.

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announcing-the-new-pinside-off-topic-section/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.