(Topic ID: 96996)

Announcing the Mission Pinball Framework: hw independent, python-based game sw

By BrianMadden

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

oppa (resized).jpg
    Capture2.png
    Capture.png
    3bvqn-bh.png
    IMG_8104.JPG
    IMG_8007.JPG
    IMG_6708.JPG
    IMG_6704.jpg
    IMG_6821.JPG
    IMG_6817.JPG
    IMG_6682.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#38 9 years ago

Build a system where you can install a default program that runs a basic game:
    3 ball game, trough support for optional multiball
    Flippers already set to go full force for half a second, then run 25% hold
    Both Slings fire

Allow easy variables for:
    Assigning wait values for specific solenoids
    Assign bonuses for combos
    Assign extra balls
    Assign multipliers
    Make it super easy to assign point values to switches, randomize sounds attached to those switches

You do all that, and you'll finally see every serious hobbyist attempting a custom pinball. I personally think P-ROC is a huge barrier to entry from everything I've read. Most of us don't want to learn programming, they just want to build pinball and choose options.

Honestly, if a company were to supply a kit where you have a basic whitewood playfield with flippers, trough, slings, and a shooter lane carved, and everything wired up to shoot into emptiness (can start fabbing a layout with foamcore right away), and a 64 lamp matrix controlled easily with software (when that builder is ready to start laying out inserts) it would sell like hotcakes.

#51 9 years ago
    Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

The P-ROC (and the FAST system) are not barriers to entry. They are in fact removing a barrier to entry - hardware development.

Your barrier to entry (from your statements) is software (or something akin to assembly code on really old machines) and that barrier exists with or without P-ROC

That's what I meant, that barrier to entry is learning to code in python, not so much P-ROC as a product. Most of us don't know how, and I think most of us don't want to learn (maybe some of us aren't capable of learning). I also realize if I want advanced modes, someone is eventually going to have to program it (can only make it so simple), but if you manage to create what is a pretty fun layout, there could be a programmer that would jump on board to help.

What I'm talking about is I think probably 90% of pinball hobbyists who want to build a custom pin; don't even attempt to build one because there are too many skills needed to create one. There could be a lot of people with good ideas who are capable of fabricating a playfield, maybe even have artistic skills to do the art for a playfield, but then look at the programming portion of it and give up. Having a basic program (and I haven't looked into PROC enough, or at least haven't looked at it in a while to realize there is a basic script) that ran a basic game with assignable point values from switches would probably encourage a lot more people to create their dream themed pin.

I also think $900 is a heck of gamble for a P-ROC system, and it sounds like much more cost effective systems are coming.

#55 9 years ago
    Quoted from gstellenberg:

Please back up this statement with facts. The large majority of our customers build feature-rich games for WELL below $900

I'm just basing it on an earlier comment from horsey of $942.82.
    Bear in mind, I don't think your prices are outrageous, I just think it's possible to build a slightly less featured system for less. I DO think the open source you've opened up (being the first) is commendable.

1 year later
    #95 8 years ago
    Quoted from BrianMadden:

Most people so far use the config files to get about 90% of the way there and then they finish it up with 10% "glue" written in Python to do the custom stuff for their machine. (Though that's still not strictly necessary. The guys who created the Pitchfork Music Festival machine haven't written a single line of Python. Really it's just a personal preference of the people creating the machine.)

If this is really true, you guys have done some amazing work.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announcing-the-mission-pinball-framework-hw-independent-python-based-game-sw?tu=toyotaboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.