(Topic ID: 96996)

Announcing the Mission Pinball Framework: hw independent, python-based game sw

By BrianMadden

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

oppa (resized).jpg
    Capture2.png
    Capture.png
    3bvqn-bh.png
    IMG_8104.JPG
    IMG_8007.JPG
    IMG_6708.JPG
    IMG_6704.jpg
    IMG_6821.JPG
    IMG_6817.JPG
    IMG_6682.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider s1500.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 9 years ago

This will be cool to see. I hope there is a good mode architecture like P-ROC has. Hell, I wish that was available in Visual Pinball.

But yes, documentation can make or break an API. It might be powerful, robust, awesome,but if it can't be taught, nobody can utilize it.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from horseypin:

Did no-one set you up for VP yet? :/

Huh? The way for creating modes in P-ROC is done with individual switch hits in its own class. That's not available in Visual Pinball. I even tried making a hack for it, but not sure if you can directly call a method(through a string) in a class in VP.

#59 9 years ago
    Quoted from sd_tom:

Python does suck.. Any language that uses white space to mean something, let alone scope.. Bleh all around.

Python runs circles around Visual Basic. Trust me, I have to work in VB every day, where I would much rather be in Python.

#68 9 years ago

Features like ball save, ball lock & such are the building blocks for features of a pin. I could envision a language or GUI where a pin rule set could be created with little to no programming knowledge. You have a standup target? Tell me what you want the point value to be.

#82 9 years ago

In terms of documentation, I tried to bolster P-ROC's wiki, but didn't get further than many stub pages. I wanted to document everything possible, from coding best practices to cab construction & variances. Then I ran out of steam. Was hoping others would join me in the missing gaps to reverse engineer pinball and show you how to program P-ROC boards for your dream machine.

#87 9 years ago
    Quoted from horseypin:

Felt the same way with pyprocgame where I should've done some noobie guides as I was learning. Just couldn't be bothered in the end, I feel that most people must've felt the same way. But anyway, saying that, it may be a decent idea to work on a table and video document it as I go.

If you are starting from scratch, here's an idea: take pictures from beginning to where you are at right now. Start with a picture of the "main" board, then the next pic show the power connection to the next board, another pic with the data connections and so forth. Nice bird's eye view. Pictures are worth a thousand words here, just like you can't explain brain surgery over the phone.

For P-ROC, getting a single light to flash is the equivalent of "hello world" in programming. Then one are off to a good start.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider s1500.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announcing-the-mission-pinball-framework-hw-independent-python-based-game-sw?tu=s1500 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.