(Topic ID: 96996)

Announcing the Mission Pinball Framework: hw independent, python-based game sw

By BrianMadden

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

oppa (resized).jpg
    Capture2.png
    Capture.png
    3bvqn-bh.png
    IMG_8104.JPG
    IMG_8007.JPG
    IMG_6708.JPG
    IMG_6704.jpg
    IMG_6821.JPG
    IMG_6817.JPG
    IMG_6682.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider reltham.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 9 years ago

Just wanted to back up Gerry here on the switch matrix vs direct switches topic. Direct switch wiring to localized modules is MUCH easier to implement, debug, and repair.

#26 9 years ago

It's not a matter if not understanding a switch matrix. I have been working with them for many years across much more than just pinball machines. It's a matter of what is better.

They used switch matrices largely because of hardware limitations, not because it was preferred.

#50 9 years ago

Snux,
    I can't imagine a fully featured game being done without some programming (if not a LOT of it). However, It would be nice if all the basic stuff was covered/handled with just a small amount of configuring.

Having a framework base that can play a simple game of pinball on your playfield with just a config file defining what your playfield has and some other basic info, would be a great start. It would get people to a point where they can experiment with ideas by doing a small amount of programming. There are a TON of things that are part of every pinball game, and those can all be part of the framework you start with when making your custom game. It's also possible to have modules of code that handle most of the common pinball components (ball lock, drop target bank, etc.), and in order to get one working in your game could be as simple as adding some stuff to your config file. You could then go into the code and extend/change it's functionality when you are ready.

Right now, in order to get anything going at all, even the most basic things, requires a fairly significant amount of coding work.

#56 9 years ago

Gerry,
    Things have probably changed, but when I got my PROC stuff, it took half a day just to get everything installed and built, and I could not get starter.py to work (that's probably because I don't know or like python).

I believe you now have a single install "package" setup that makes it all smoother to get everything installed, and I guess you also have starter.py working better now? (or like I said I just fail at python because I hate it) Also, perhaps the state of the documentation was my issue?

In any case, doing anything more than what's in starter.py will take some coding, and probably a fair bit of it based on what I have read from projects on the forums. I'd like to minimize that as much as possible.

That was the main message of my post. Sorry I got some things wrong with regard to the current state of code.

#77 9 years ago

Snux,
    I am fairly certain your Sys11 board will work with the FAST WPC controller board. I'll be doing some testing along that front soon.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider reltham.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announcing-the-mission-pinball-framework-hw-independent-python-based-game-sw?tu=reltham and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.