(Topic ID: 96996)

Announcing the Mission Pinball Framework: hw independent, python-based game sw

By BrianMadden

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

oppa (resized).jpg
    Capture2.png
    Capture.png
    3bvqn-bh.png
    IMG_8104.JPG
    IMG_8007.JPG
    IMG_6708.JPG
    IMG_6704.jpg
    IMG_6821.JPG
    IMG_6817.JPG
    IMG_6682.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mocean.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#69 9 years ago

So much unjustified pyprocgame bashing. Brian, I'm surprised you aren't standing up for it more. I think that Adam and pyprocgame are owed some defense.

I tried to look through your MPF docs but it's too late to pick up all this nuanced terminology you're defining in the docs. I jumped into github and Poked around a bit there, which was easier to follow.

Quoted from BrianMadden:

So let them price war and let us win.

Man, that's an awful sentiment. I can say with certainty that in my last two years of reprogramming pinball machines with the p-roc that I never once felt the p-roc wasn't easily worth 3x the price. How will a price war really help this tiny niche market, by causing someone to stop making a profit selling boards?

I'm all for the free market and the good of competition and challenging monopolies and such but, good grief, this sure doesn't feel like that. Gerry sure isn't Intel.

#81 9 years ago
    Quoted from horseypin:

Wouldn't take it to heart, you wanted a discount at one point. The only real "bashing" has come from people that haven't used it & have wanted/tried to.

Then why thumbs down the post..?

Quoted from fastpinball:

Let's keep it positive.

I'm sorry if I'm being seen as negative --I don't want to be negative; I think I've been quite supportive of many different pinball programming initiatives and shared quite a lot of code, documentation, and time. I'm glad we agree a price war is not a winning scenario.

Brian: best of luck with MPF; I hope you can provide all you intend to and find that delicate balance between flexibility and simplicity. It's no easy feat!

Quoted from Snux:

Let's go program some pinball.

Amen to that!

- Michael

1 year later
    #99 8 years ago
    Quoted from BrianMadden:

I'd just like to provide an update on MPF since it's been a year since we've posted here. We've been busily working on MPF with about 2500 man hours on it in the past 12 months. We're now on version 0.20 (versus 0.9 at Expo 2014).
    We're making good progress towards the original goal of creating a pinball framework that's both easy to use for non-programmers as well as easy to extend for people who want to write "real" code. Most people so far use the config files to get about 90% of the way there and then they finish it up with 10% "glue" written in Python to do the custom stuff for their machine. (Though that's still not strictly necessary. The guys who created the Pitchfork Music Festival machine haven't written a single line of Python. Really it's just a personal preference of the people creating the machine.)
    Listing out all the features would take up too much space here. But at this point, MPF has modes, shots, scoring, game logic, lots of different device support, FAST and P-ROC support, many sample modes & devices (ball save, tilt, high score, multiball, bonus, credits & coin support) which are all highly extendable and customizable. We support LCD, color DMD, and physical DMDs. We support games with multiple playfields (even head-to-head). We have separated the pinball controller and the "backbox controller" (display, audio, etc.) into two processes (which is great for small, multi-core systems), and we've developed a communications protocol that lets you replace the built-in backbox controller with whatever you want. (One group has already created a Unity3D-based option.)
    Here's the full list of what's been added in the past year: https://missionpinball.com/docs/version-history/
    Anyway, I just wanted to give a quick update. I'll post here each time we do a new release (every 6-8 weeks). In the meantime, we have hundreds of pages of documentation, and, most importantly a step-by-step tutorial for getting started (even if you don't have real pinball hardware yet). https://missionpinball.com/docs/tutorial/
    We will be at Expo next weekend along with I think 4 or 5 games in progress using MPF. You can also follow the progress via the many other awesome projects on Pinside using MPF: (The Pitchfork Music Festival Machine, Nightmare Before Christmas, Minions...)

One thing you've forgotten to mention is the monumental amount of documentation and support work that you guys have done to meet the needs of your users, get them up and running, and to address their needs. This is no easy feat. Hats off to you and to Gabe!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mocean.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announcing-the-mission-pinball-framework-hw-independent-python-based-game-sw?tu=mocean and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.