(Topic ID: 96996)

Announcing the Mission Pinball Framework: hw independent, python-based game sw

By BrianMadden

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

oppa (resized).jpg
    Capture2.png
    Capture.png
    3bvqn-bh.png
    IMG_8104.JPG
    IMG_8007.JPG
    IMG_6708.JPG
    IMG_6704.jpg
    IMG_6821.JPG
    IMG_6817.JPG
    IMG_6682.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider horseypin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 9 years ago

The first thing I have to say is well done on the docs because pyprocgame manual is not good compared to this already. It was a steep curve having been new to Python, at times very confusing , even though the simplest thing is staring you in the face half the time.

I was racking my brains for ages learning that in 2 months on/off. It's definitely not good for the people that don't have the time I had to do that.

While I'm no way near a master at python/pyprocgame I have & can finish a whole tables rules now, which is enough for me, that's all I really wanted. Basically to jump in, do this, do that, use pre made modules (which I do a lot of), currently sort of not possible unless you're prepared to put the hours in to try & fully understand it all. Looking back it hasn't been all that bad but the time it's taken is.

Can/will you use some more advanced gfx libraries/hooks that can be used out of the box?

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from travisbmartin:

P-ROC is an option. But I'd like to see how the Fast board handles

Let's see the price and let's see if it comes with a 8x8 switch matrix. The P-ROC bits I need for the whole custom game I have going is $942.82.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from travisbmartin:

This is kindof my hangup with P-ROC as well. I tried looking through their forums and research what I'd need to do to get a game programmed, and I felt like someone shoved me into the deep end of a pool.
    Mission's setup says it's 'event driven', and if I understand what I've read, it sounds like a framework I've been hoping for,

Unfortunately this is a problem, there is no real "dummies guide" to follow. There's not really a good base like they're trying to achieve here.

There is no step by step to make you feel comfortable to learn it. Instead you have to ask questions, you have to search, you have to pester people, you have to go through existing code, which half the time felt like spaghetti to me unless the main code is mainly in one file like JD.

I'm making it out to be the impossible? it wasn't so bad in the end and it's actually pretty easy once you start to click, but not sure it was realized how much of a curve it could be and expect you to dedicate a lot of time developing the same old things that should be standard, instead of developing rules & your game.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

This will be cool to see. I hope there is a good mode architecture like P-ROC has. Hell, I wish that was available in Visual Pinball.
    But yes, documentation can make or break an API. It might be powerful, robust, awesome,but if it can't be taught, nobody can utilize it.

Did no-one set you up for VP yet? :/

#14 9 years ago

I thought you wanted to run pyprocgame with VP.

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from BrianMadden:

So let them price war and let us win.

Love it. Just give me at least 64 switches that doesn't cost the same price as one p3-roc board and I'm going FAST.

With the VP thing, surely you can use Micheal's existing edited bridge?

I know it's early but would like to know if I could use all these modes I've written for pyprocgame to use with a fast. It's not too much trouble anyway I suppose , it could all be re written as you're using Python here too.

Nice.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

sounds really cool. Will this also work with Ben Heck's borad/ hardware?

I think he has his own for that...

Quoted from BrianMadden:

I know this isn't quite your point, but remember the classic P-ROC (and FAST controller) has its switch matrix built-in to the board themselves, so you get switches for free. (The P-ROC can support a matrix of 8x16 plus an additional 24 direct switches, all built in.) In our case that's why we went with the P-ROC over the P3-ROC, even for Big Shot where we don't need the P-ROC's DMD support. But that said, yeah, it seems crazy that with a P3-ROC you're paying almost 4 bucks per switch.

Well, this is something I'm going to have to admit that I obviously never truly understood. Why it's not clear to me I still don't know, is it just "easier" to use a few switch boards than direct off original p-roc?

This basically cuts £140 off my estimate for 64 switch.

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from Snux:

Watching with interest. Now that I'm through the learning curve I'm quite happy with pyprocgame at the moment but having looked around your site and read this thread it looks like you have some cool ideas. Keep it up
    The only thing which always worries me from any software supplier of something complex like this is :

How do you plan to achieve that? Will someone without any programming skills truly be able to do much more than get the flippers working, or will they actually be able to get a multi-mode based game with multiball and all the rest working. Curious to see how that might work.
    Good work guys!

Don't take this the wrong way mate but it's taken you 2-3 years, maybe more and you've had to resort to building off a pre-made table.

I know you wouldn't of spent all of that time learning it. It's just an fine example of how difficult it could be without proper docs/walkthrough/clear code base.

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

This is a video I made for some friends showing my portable pin

Portable pins, could be onto something there...

#48 9 years ago

Very nice! Great idea, thanks for sharing pics. What's the length?

#60 9 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I'm just basing it on an earlier comment from horsey of $942.82.
    Bear in mind, I don't think your prices are outrageous, I just think it's possible to build a slightly less featured system for less. I DO think the open source you've opened up (being the first) is commendable.

If you went P3-Roc, 4 switch boards, 2x power driver, 8x8 lamp. = $815, an added power supply bumps up a bit maybe. You may not even need all that , you may not need 2 power drivers and you don't need to have the extra switch boards.

Probably what also has happened there was converting from my currency back again, so apologies for the confusion, but is close enough. You can see that's where the ghost $2.82 has come from.

#70 9 years ago

Wouldn't take it to heart, you wanted a discount at one point. The only real "bashing" has come from people that haven't used it & have wanted/tried to.

#75 9 years ago

Save yourself a bit of typing just doing, self.game.score(100)

Aaron, have you made or is there a thread for all FAST questions? Not trying to say , "get your own thread". I'm interested to know whether you will support Data East , Sys 11 out of box?

Presuming a yes on the sys 11, because of FH.

#78 9 years ago

Thanks, I see, some just used sys 11 sound. Had to deal with the A/C before. Blatantly trying to get away with not giving you $

#86 9 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

In terms of documentation, I tried to bolster P-ROC's wiki, but didn't get further than many stub pages. I wanted to document everything possible, from coding best practices to cab construction & variances. Then I ran out of steam. Was hoping others would join me in the missing gaps to reverse engineer pinball and show you how to program P-ROC boards for your dream machine.

Felt the same way with pyprocgame where I should've done some noobie guides as I was learning. Just couldn't be bothered in the end, I feel that most people must've felt the same way. But anyway, saying that, it may be a decent idea to work on a table and video document it as I go.

#88 9 years ago

Well, what you've just mentioned there would be good for me at some point.

I've been learning all pyprocgame/python through VP & desktop cmd running the main() on each mode.

Finished a game and about 20% through the next one. That first game would need going over again if it was to go on the real table though. Only because of the relay stuff on DEast, I wouldn't trust it to work 100%, even though it "should" work, timings etc.

I was trying to say I'd create guides for pyprocgame for others so they don't have to go through hassle of searching for answers, deciphering. Drifting away from MPF again now though, I would use both.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider horseypin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announcing-the-mission-pinball-framework-hw-independent-python-based-game-sw?tu=horseypin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.