Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20171123_110044 (resized).jpg
IMG_20171112_190516 (resized).jpg
IMG_20171110_143314 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170511_201216 (resized).jpg
IMG_2195 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider konjurer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from pinball_happy:

Thanks for the reply. That's a bummer that I don't have a header there.

Mine too. I really, really, really don't want to try soldering a header onto that $470 board. My soldering skills are not that good. I'm bummed out. I was really getting juiced up to code a new version of KISS. If anyone figures out how to do this using the on-board USB ports please post the solution here!

Thanks Jan for this cool work you're doing.

#42 6 years ago

Working through the tutorial and I have to say, that as a coder who sees terrible documentation all the time, your documentation and tutorial is some of the best written I've ever seen.

#47 6 years ago

What's a FTDI? I tried to look it up but I didn't find a clear answer.

I'm a coder and have some embedded programming experience but I have little knowledge of serial communication standards and workings.

#49 6 years ago

I have some confusion. I believe I mistakenly thought that two FTDI interfaces might allow me to use the 2 USB ports on the SPIKE CPU board. This is NOT the case, correct?

It looks like my only option is a SINGLE FTDI board plugged into the header. And I will have to solder a header onto the SPIKE board if one doesn't exists (which it doesn't on my KISS). Am I understanding this correct?

Thanks again for doing this!

Tim

#51 6 years ago

That is helpful Jan! Sorry to have so many questions...

Is there a FTDI chip in the black cable?
When you say 2 FTDIs you mean one in the cable and another on the little PCB adapter (HiLetgo FT232RL FTDI USB to TTL Serial Converter)?
Are you switching the RX and TX with the connecting wires in between?

Thanks

#53 6 years ago

So what would be a good option to purchase for a DMD or an LCD that would fit a spike machine like KISS? What additional hardware is needed to control the display? Is there anyway to control the native DMD from the PC with an additional controller?

Thanks

Tim

3 weeks later
#61 6 years ago

Thanks for the kind words jabdoa but you did the heavy lifting! I hope I get a chance to buy you a beer sometime.

Yes, my KISS Pro is flipping from my laptop code and running on the Mission Pinball Framework. Boring as hell to play so far but all of the coils are working and I can play a 3 ball game with crude scoring.

I've already started designing new modes on paper and my brain is buzzing with lots of cool ideas. I'm many months away from anything remotely resembling a complete game.

Mission Pinball is freaking amazing!

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Which is awesome! So the big question, what are you going to have the cities do?

I'm really excited but keep in mind that I'm not starting from the current KISS code. I'm starting from the ground up. Just getting KISS Pro to basic flip was quite a bit of work; although Jan has made great progress for future SPIKE owners.

There are no inserts on the playfield for cities so is it worth pursuing the cities? Not sure yet. I'm planning on going a different direction than the current modes. Right now, it's just a proof of concept. And as a proof of concept, we now know it can be done on KISS and other Stern SPIKE systems! We'll just have to see how far we can take it with MPF. Mission Pinball is a very important tool for the pinball community and I can't thank them enough.

1 month later
#66 6 years ago

Quick update. I've been working with MPF two months in my spare time. I'm still a long ways away from a complete game and solution (audio, LCD etc.) but what you can do with MPF is nothing short of amazing. Some days, it is very frustrating to solve problems with MPF but the guys that develop MPF (Jan, Brian, Gabe and Quinn) are super responsive and there is no doubt that anyone can built a commercial quality game using MPF.

Although I'm not ready to implement these things, my big concern for the future "complete solution" is what computer to place inside the cabinet (Raspberry Pi or PC) and what to use as a display. I think I'd like to put a color LCD in but if I could reuse the DMD, that would be the first option. And then what to do about audio. Again, I'd like to use the Stern hardware but so far that is not an option with MPF.

I'd eventually like to share this with other KISS owners but it has to be a complete solution that would work for everyone. Ultimately, if I could just plug in a Raspberry PI with the software loaded and it used the rest of the Stern hardware, that would be nirvana.

1 month later
#70 6 years ago

If you are a spike MFP user you probably had to assemble a FDTI to FTDI connection using duct tape and chicken wire. Well no more! I've found a company that makes and USB null modem cable. I took a chance and ordered one of these cables in hopes of having a clean, reliable cable.

http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cables/USBtoUSB.htm

Just got it in today. At first, no luck and I was worried that I had misspent $50. However, it was just selecting a different COM port than I had been using before. Changed the config setting to COM5 and it works! Looks like a standard USB cable but has an FDTI chip in both ends and the RX/TX connections are crossed in the middle.

Tim

#72 6 years ago

That would be sweet to work with the DMD. How would sound work with the spike? Anyway to use the internal audio?

I'll add the FTDI cable to the documentation.

#75 6 years ago

Pros and cons of course. I do want to use a LCD and have other HW options but I would also like to share the fruits of my labor with other spike owners. Therefore it would be nice to make it easy for an owner to who Is unlikely to buy and install all components required to use my code. I'm kind of torn between making a one-off for myself and doing something that is easy for other KISS owners to use.

#79 6 years ago

Yes I agree. I'm already using ducking extensively. MPF has a solid set of tools for mixing channels and ducking. Essential for a rock pin.

1 month later
#84 6 years ago

Very cool. I'll give it a try this weekend.

Thanks Jan!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Machine - For Sale
Rockland, ON
Machine - For Sale
Terre Haute, IN
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider konjurer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announcing-stern-spike-support-for-the-mission-pinball-framework?tu=konjurer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.