Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 237 posts
  • 103 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by swinks
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2016-12-19 at 8.26.32 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-19 at 8.26.22 PM (resized).png
    IMG_6287 (resized).PNG
    IMG_6228 (resized).PNG
    content_41459d0eef0e8c31c9911111ddb1a4eb56f58b631373451527_1_ (resized).jpg
    Pinside Peanuts karamazov (resized).jpg
    pinsidewinter (resized).png
    tiers (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Untitled (resized).png
    4 (resized).png
    IMG_0376 (resized).PNG
    IMG_0375 (resized).PNG
    appropriate-response.png

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Announcement and summary of new Pinside Shops feature. Posted by robin (7 years ago)

Post #54 First round of changes made based on Pinsider feedback. Posted by robin (7 years ago)

Post #101 Promotion box feature change Posted by Xerico (7 years ago)

Post #171 Response to suggestions made by Pinsiders. Posted by Martijn (7 years ago)

Post #177 Feedback provided including mention of sales fee cap. Posted by Martijn (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider taylor34.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#118 7 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

I can't believe anyone would complain about a site that gives in spades and can be used for free.
    Don't like it? Use other avenues on the internet to explore your Pinball interests.

My only question about the whole thing is that I don't understand quite why this forum is setup where the users pay for sales like ebay, but every other forum is setup where businesses basically support the forum. Like I would much rather have ads on the site then have to pay $50 every time I sell a game from here. This is the only forum that I've sold stuff on in my 20 years of selling stuff online that I've had to pay commission on. I would think this forum could be setup similar to the corvette forum, advertisers on the side, users sell for free, people selling on the forum have to pay $$$. Users are protected, businesses pay instead of the other way around. Not that I don't think pinside great mind you, but it does seem like the 'money' aspect of it is backwards to a degree.

#121 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

If you use ebay to sell stuff, you've paid a commission fee.
    The max fee in the marketplace is actually $35 ($26 if you donate), for games somewhere around $4500 or more...I forget exactly where the cutoff was for each tier.
    For games with lower prices, the fee is less. Overall, the fee ends up being around a tenth of a percent (0.1%). A far better bargain than ebay's 10% seller's/commission fee , IMHO.

It's just like an auction or consignment shop. You put the item up for sale, pay a small commission fee if it sells, or simply take it home if it doesn't.
    I find external advertising annoying, intrusive, and sometimes a source for malware. Plus, it earns basically nothing these days, especially with everyone using ad blockers (because it's intrusive, annoying, and can be a source for malware). I'm not too keen on mandatory membership fees either that deny access to free users. Donating to the site here grants you a few extra perks and features, but otherwise, the site is basically fully accessible and free to use. The way the marketplace operates seems like a reasonable trade-off to me--no up-front cost, plenty of eyeballs looking at your ad, and only a couple bucks when a multi-thousand dollar game sells.

I sold a corvette on the corvette forum a few years ago. The fee? $0. Forum sponsors (businesses who sell stuff) pay a yearly fee plus some sort of monthly thing to be featured. They only run corvette related ads for the most part, so it's not really that obtrusive. I've also been on forums where $25 a year buys ad free browsing and free has ads, I'm also ok with that.

#130 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

The answer is simple. Independence. In order to be a free forum (free as in 'free speech' not 'free beer') we made a conscious decision to not seek or accept 'sponsorship' from any big companies. The way Pinside is set up now ensures us being independent (no obligations or any appearances of conflict of interest).
    Sure, there are quite a few companies on Pinside who are supporting us through donations and sales fees but none have any definitive 'say' in how I run the site. And that is good news for all of our 35,000+ members (and many more non-members) who come to Pinside to read the good, the bad and the (sometimes) ugly.
    Imagine if one or two of the larger pinball companies would pay the bills for us. We would become dependent on them. And then when someone posted something in the forums that these companies didn't like (hard to believe, but it does happen occasionally) they would have the power to force me to remove such content. Pinside would quickly turn into a Facebook comments page.
    That not a position I want the site to be in. And that's why we decided that the whole community should all contribute a little. More recently (since Expo 2014) we have been trying to distribute this a bit more fairly: those who make money using the site should contribute a bit more too.
    I hope that explains our (according to some unusual) angle to making Pinside sustainable and profitable.

I totally understand what you're saying, but how can:

corvette forum
    avs forum
    operation sports
    ultimate guitar
    etc

Forums that theoretically would have the exact same problem, but don't. That's all I was asking, how can 99% of internet forums not have this issue, but pinside does? People bash the major players all the time on those forums.

I also kind of laugh at some of the malware claims from some of other posters in this thread, almost every single website you visit has ads on it including all other forums, so are people just not visiting anywhere but pinside?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider taylor34.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announcing-pinside-shops?tu=taylor34 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.