Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 273 posts
  • 81 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Lhyrgoif
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

nothing achieved (resized).png
    DSC00045 (resized).JPG
    DSC00044 (resized).JPG
    DSC00043 (resized).JPG
    Member of a Pinside Shop.jpg
    Quality Hunter.jpg
    Furniture (resized).png
    algar_LIONMAN!!_(resized).jpg
    21KtOAW6yJL_(resized).jpg
    kxKfdjCQ8fU6Xf2uzAetWp2Hb3Z_(resized).jpg
    oldNtall_(resized).jpg
    Screen_Shot_2015-12-26_at_6.24.56_AM_(resized).png
    DSCN4121_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpg
    image-2_(resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Achievements announcement Posted by robin (8 years ago)

Post #42 Maintained list of achievements Posted by floyd1977 (8 years ago)

Post #187 Newly discovered achievements Posted by DefaultGen (8 years ago)

Post #232 Newly discovered achievements Posted by DefaultGen (7 years ago)

Post #244 Big achievement pack featuring 89 new achievements announced Posted by Martijn (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Can you imagine, a code update to Pinside without a proper announcement? That's kind of illustrative of how busy things are, here at Pinside HQ. Everything is going great with the baby (my daughter Lieke, who was born 5 weeks ago) and things are settling down. Time to work full force on Pinside again!

Martijn and I decided that we really wanted to make work of that replacement for Pinside Karma Points (that old points system where you were awarded points for each rating, post, story etc.). We know we've been promising for ages.

PINSIDE ACHIEVEMENTS
    Well, this new system is finally ready to go live and we call it "Pinside Achievements". So how does it work? Well, quite simply Pinside Achievements are awards for completing various challenges or actions on Pinside. Each achievement earns you a nice medal and the respect and envy of your Pinside friends. Achievements are also worth points. All of them accumulate into your "Achievement Points Score", which is displayed proudly next to your Avatar and username.

TASKS
    There are currently 65 tasks to complete, including awards for adding a game rating, writing a story, collecting games, adding/updating map locations, adding high scores, getting thumbs up or making a specific number of forum posts. And much more. And more will be added when we get new inspiration - this is just a start (got a great idea for an achievement? PM me!)

PURPOSE?
    What is the purpose of this? Well, for starters we wanted to add a fun element to the site and reward participation on the site, turn it into a game of sorts. But we also think it's handy to help you get an idea of what a Pinsider's been up to. And lastly we hope to emphasise that there's more to Pinside than just the forums! The achievements will give you an idea of all the other stuff you can do here.

CHECK IT OUT!
    Here are my achievements. You can find your own achievements via your My-Pinside section, or on your (or anyone elses) public profile page (click the achievements tab). A shortcut to get to anyones Achievements page is clicking the points score that is now displayed besides everyones avatar image, click it to go to that persons Achievements page.

This is the first version. There may be bugs. We want to add notifications when you score an achievements. We want to add much more awards. All in good time, gotta start somewhere

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

FIRST! I've always wanted to do that.

Hmm, that could be an award in itself. Responding to an announcement within 30 seconds

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Is there a place to see all possible achievements - what you're missing?

We thought about that, but decided against it (for now at least).

I think discovering all the awards is part of the fun. But you can always go to another Pinsiders profile page and discover what other awards there are.

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Sometimes just getting out of bed in the morning is an achievement.

You should put a pinball machine in your bedroom. Problem solved.

#58 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That one can be a little tough when so many are not in pinside's list of games. I've got a couple and even after making a request could not get added.

Quoted from DefaultGen:

I never fully understood the criteria for a database entry. There are mechanical flipperless games like Ballyhoo and even bingos (Super Dixieland for one). What could possibly not be added? Scoregasm Master wasn't added I know.

Quoted from o-din:

I've got two flipper games from 1948 that are not here and another I was lookin for. Buccaneer and Ali Baba I own now. And these were made by Gottlieb, the biggest name in the business at the time. Whether it is the 90s, the 70's, or the 40s, all games with at least a decent production run should be included IMO.

I'm sorry the databas isn't complete yet and that your requests seem to go unanswered. Not my intention to ignore you. There actually isn't really any kind of rule against adding more games to the database. maybe we should open a new topic:" games to be added to Pinside database". I'm all for making the database complete. Recently I have added some Bingos and I would have no problem with adding flipperless games either. The more the merrier! If the list really becomes too large, we can always add some filters to the UI.

Quoted from floyd1977:

Yeah, I felt bad because I read your post right after I posted the list!
    If Robin or any of the moderators don't like it, they can delete my post. I'm fine with that.

Hey no problem. Martijn and I expected this to happen and we're cool with it. It's not unlike a pinball rulesheet.

We'll be sure to add a bunch of achievements soon, the first 65 were just a start

Quoted from boscokid:

Ratings Pullitzer Price Winner

Apologies to mr. Pulitzer. That's definitely a typo on our end.

Quoted from pinball_faz:

I'd like to see an achievement for being helpful.

Very cool idea. I like the kudos idea very much. Let me work this out into a feature.

Quoted from Nokoro:

Thanks. I was looking on my iPad. No hovering there.

Hmm, good point. I should add an alternative way to explain the awards.

Quoted from TimeBandit:

Can I have my favorited achievements please Robin? Small bug there maybe?

We'll look into this!

#60 8 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

Hey Robin
    I did notice a bug, when you make a post and for me a few minutes later I wanted add a image but the option did not come up

Thanks for the heads up. I will fix this today. Working on the final steps of implementing the new images server. You should already notice a speed (and quality) increase in uploads. Stay tuned.

#92 8 years ago

First of all, to everyone who suggested new achievements (also via PM): Thanks! Many of them are definitely going to be added in a future update (soon)!

Quoted from Crash:

Still happens when login in to normal tabs evidently.

Unrelated to achievements. Not sure what is happening there. I think I have seen it happen too, on iPad, but only once. No idea why. Will investigate this issue further, based on the error message you provided.

Quoted from lyonsden:

I'm wondering if there is a bug in the achievements. I have started several threads that have been favorited without them showing up in my achievements (e.g., https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-make-an-led-backbox-for-30-for-modern-sterns). Am I missing something?

No, you're correct. There is a bug which will hopefully be fixed very soon. It's quite a complex issue, need some time for that.

2 weeks later
    #186 8 years ago

We just released an big update with the Pinside Pin Biz directory, but Martijn managed to sneak in some cool new achievements too. Some of them have pretty cool icons. Go and find them, if you can

3 months later
    4 months later
    #241 7 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

The Pinside achievements for owning a Prem/LE is not giving credit for some LEs such as LOTR LE and WOZ ECLE.

This has been fixed, it turns out we didn't consider LOTR LE an actual LE. Not sure why, but we do now

5 years later
    #264 2 years ago

Good news, Pinside Achievements are back!

After some hard work rewriting (part of the) achievements code, I'm happy to report that achievements scoring is functioning again.

In order to bring all achievements back up to date (since the scoring system was offline since mid-April), I have also done a batch update today. You are likely to have scored a bunch of new achievements during this time period.

The only downside of this batch run is that scored achievements did not get dated. So even if you unlocked one or more achievements, they won't show up in "Achieved this week" box:

This is incorrect for most of youThis is incorrect for most of you

I will keep an eye on performance and may tweak the system somewhat over the next few days. And maybe add some new achievements? Suggestions are welcome

#270 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

How about own or design or build a home brew or rethemed pin?

We do not keep this information in the database (which Pinsider designed which homebrew game), so that's going to be hard to implement. But we could add one for owning a homebrew game.

Quoted from EJS:

Was there any major changes that took place? Maybe I overlooked another post. Mostly just curious and happy to see them return.

There are a bunch of new achievements in the pipeline, they're being worked on!

Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

With the new update, if I let a page sit open for 15 minutes or so, it gives me an error "You're not authorized to use the specified token." and the page needs to be refreshed to do anything.
    Also the system has given quite a few people "in before the lock" who have not earned it, some of which haven't even posted in a locked thread!

The authorization bug (timeout after 15 minutes): I will look into this some more over the next few days.

The IBTL achievement had a misconfiguration. I have removed 7500 entries that were incorrectly awarded.

Quoted from ReadyPO:

not sure if "Thread Obsessed" updated correctly...
    Otherwise looks pretty good.

I will look into any other wrongly awarded achievement over the coming days.

Quoted from ReadyPO:

"I survived the great Pinside outage"

Ouch... too soon

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announcing-pinside-achievements?tu=robin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.