51qC8kySRIL_(resized).jpg
Photo Oct 03, 6 00 31 PM.jpg
Daughterboard schematics (2).JPG
Photo Aug 19, 9 31 15 PM.jpg
LM323 Replacement Board in action.JPG
LM323 Replacement Board.JPG
Slide1.jpg
image-763.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jalpert.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 10 years ago

It's not messy, and it's plug and play, but it's a hack. If your games are resetting when all your games are on, you don't have enough juice to turn your game on. Shows, auction, same deal, not the end of the world to run it a couple days, but we all know that's not how this product is going to be used.

If I'm buying a game, and I see this product on the machine, the game is worth a 5V troubleshooting process less to me.

The OP shouldn't come out and say the watchdog circuit is fully intact, it's not. He admits that there are components that are no longer on it after installing his device.

With even the cheapest DMD games going for around $2K, but a lot of them $4K, $6K+, what's another $125 and a little patience to either send the boards out and get it fixed right or call your local tech?

#27 10 years ago

We've disagreed on this before. You are in favor of getting games running in the cheapest and easiest way possible. I have the opinion that there is a right way to fix the games, it might not be the cheapest or easiest, but to fix them as closely to original as possible. This isn't any more of a hack than when you were advocating installing switching power supplies to bypass +5V issues (or was it another voltage issue, I don't remember), this is probably better, less components to fail.

Beefing up traces is not the same as routing power from elsewhere and taking components off the watchdog circuit. A better example would be the resister fix that Clay advocates to slightly increase the voltage on the circuit. However, he advocates that as a last resort and is placed earlier in the circuit, not sure how much, but it's still a better "hack" than this.

Some hacks are better than others, this is better than some like a power supply, but not as good as the resistor hack. It's still a hack though, and not in a good way.

Quoted from markmon:

People toss around the term "a hack" like its always a bad thing. It's not. A hack is simply a working solution that finds a way around the original designed method to accomplish the solution. Nevertheless, it is a solution. I would argue that Williams watchdog is a hack. They hacked in a watchdog to reset the machine in case voltage dropped a bit low because it "might" cause something bad to happen. Lots of board repair guys run blue wires to beef up traces. This is a hack - although a good one. A proper repair would be to remachine all the board traces so blue wires weren't run.

Yes, this addon is also a hack. But if it quickly gets a non working machine into a working state, then great.

#39 10 years ago

Isn't the best tool to test for this a DMM and 15 seconds to check for +5V on the CPU board?

Quoted from michiganpinball:

I got one of these about 3 weeks ago when I first saw it on Ebay. I tried it right away in my TZ just to make sure it worked and it did. My TZ wasn't resetting before, but this will be real handy to have in the tool box as a testing aid when working on games.

Parker

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jalpert.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announcing-new-product-to-help-resolve-resets-in-wpc-era-games?tu=jalpert and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.