New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 114554)

Announcing: New League - Monterey, CA

By CaryCarmichael

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by CaryCarmichael
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_4134.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Hello to Pinside Members in Monterey and the surrounding Counties! We have a Pinball League for you to attend - Monterey Flipper Pinball. The 2015 MFP League kicks off the Winter Season tonight. We meet at Angelina's Pizzeria on Monday's at 7pm. The location is off Highway 68, in between Salinas and Monterey - Great Food and Drink!

Our first season was Fall 2014, and it was a blast! We do 4 Seasons a Year, a Season Finals for each, and an Annual Championship. We otherwise generally follow the rule set as maintained by the FSPA, and we will notate the differences on our Current Rules web document. Our Webpage is up, there are improvements that I need to make to each of the pages, but our Calendar and Current Rules will be updated; mfpinball.org. You can also search for our newly created Facebook page under Monterey Flipper Pinball.

I'm hoping to find some Pinsider Locals that are interested in meeting up to play. We are looking for all levels of interest, from World Ranked to Never Played. We are cultivating a fun and entertaining group of individuals with equal helpings of Social and Competitive engagement.

Any non-locals can feel free to ask questions and make suggestions.

Thanks!

Post edited by CaryCarmichael: Changed wording order.

#2 5 years ago

There's pinball in Monterey?!

How many machines does Angelina's have?

#3 5 years ago

6 Machines that are maintained weekly by a gentleman named Marc(k) out of San Jose. They are in generally good playing condition. He even gets the Color DMD installed right as it's announced. I linked the games to the thread, but 6 games and a SlugFest.

Again with really Good Food and Drink!

#4 5 years ago

There are also a few games scattered around the area, in varying condition.

An Elvis at the Ice Cream Shoppe in Pacific Grove. A Sopranos at Ballard's Frement Wash & Dry. An EATPM and RBION at Lou's Fluff & Fold in Salinas. A POTC at the Pizza Factory in Salinas. A Stern Star Trek at The Pizza Factory in Hollister.

I mostly spend my local street playing time at Angelina's.

#5 5 years ago

So cool! I'll be there tonight. Looks like you forgot to put in a link to your web page (http://mfpinball.org/).

-Fred

#6 5 years ago

I'm not up with competition rules, Ratray is my sons name, he is 12, is he old enough to compete? He holds the high score on our Bally Party Zone and 2nd place (to me, on our Batman Forever.
It's too late for us tonight but maybe next week.

#7 5 years ago

Sounds good, but won't be able to make it tonight. Never played anything in a tournament but looking forward to getting involved in the pinball community around Monterey ... had no idea there was even a scene around here

#8 5 years ago

Thank you Pinside! Even only hours before kicking off the new season I got a number of responses over PM and here in the thread - and we got some new folks that were able to jump straight in their car to come play!

It was a light night for us, 6 folks as we were missing some of the regulars from last season. It was awesome to meet Fred, Katie and Mike - thanks for coming out! They really added to the fun of meeting up last night.

I know it was late notice for many to be able arrive yesterday. We are playing this Season easy, and hoping for lots of new folks. So to encourage more players to show up when they can, we are thinking that for at least this Season if you show up for 1 League Night you get to play in the Season Finals. If you play in 1 Finals you'll be entered to play in the Annual Championship that we will hold in December. Later Seasons will move to a minimum number of 5 Nights to get to the Season Finals.

I might need to emphasize the fun over the competition aspect. If you haven't played in competitive or tournament play, it is really still about you and the machine. We just get an interesting added challenge of comparing scores with the other players in your group.

Please bring anybody that would want to play, even if they don't play much. It is not a high pressure group. We have found that we can all have good nights and bad nights, no matter the person. It is great to play with others in this atmosphere. It pushes us all to better learn the rules, and we get an opportunity to witness the different play styles that we all have. The more people we get, the more rounded the groups get. Ultimately groups start to be formed into general play levels based on previous Nights, getting us playing more at our own level - always with an opportunity to move up and down between the groups from week to week.

The MFP is intended to be an all ages type event held at a family friendly establishment - definitely bring the kids if they want to play with the group! There is beer being drank by a number of us, just so you know, but kid friendly otherwise. I'm totally prepared to get beat by a 12 year old! I also play in BAPA in the Bay Area, there are a number of kids ranging from 9 to 15 that regularly out play the adults. Also some kids that don't beat up on the oldins, but they still have fun playing. Looking for the same atmosphere down here in the MFP.

I'll point y'all to the Current Rules after I get them updated, so you can see how we run this thing. It's so hard to sit to a computer after work ... especially when there are pins to play I'll do my best tonight!

Great times last night! I look forward to next week!

#9 5 years ago

Great that you're putting this together. Will definitely get there one of these days.

#10 5 years ago

Just FYI, I know Cary personally and he's a great guy! I am sure that MFP will be a lot of fun and I'd love to drop in some time if I can make it.

Hope you can grow the scene down there man, and hope to see you up in the SF/Bay Area more too

#11 5 years ago

Gene! You are Too kind! I am working out a way for me to attend the Gestalt Haus Tourney on January 31st. I'm looking to stay the night, so I'll have a room at the San Remo or wherever is suggested in SF that is near Gestalt and not too much $$$.

Just a reminder, MFP League Night Tonight! I started a Meetup.com group to try and catch others that might be interested in playing pinball, at least a couple noted on the page as attending.

See you all there!

#12 5 years ago

Really enjoyed my second week in the League! Had a lot of fun with everyone last night - great people, food, Newcastle on-tap, and PINBALL - what's not to like?!? Thanks for setting this up, Cary!

Fred

#13 5 years ago

Thanks Fred! I'd have noticed your note earlier if I wasn't OVER-celebrating my Birthday..

#14 5 years ago

Cary is a stand up dude, his league will surely be an awesomely fun experience. He played in our bapa league for awhile and he is missed. Be sure to go check it out guys and gals.
Hope all is well Cary,
Usama AKA Shado1w

#15 5 years ago

I just posted to the General Forum regarding one of a pair of our newest members. Be sure to check it out. It's a neat topic, not just for MFP.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/one-armed-pinball-i-mean-it#post-2186872

#16 5 years ago

Oh!!! I'll be playing with y'all soon, Usama! I ain't done with BAPA!

Thanks Usama!

(ps, I have that mat for you to try, we have to hook up to get that in your hands. Offer stands to get you a fresh one if you like it.)

#17 5 years ago

Sweet man I'm excited to try it. I haven't been going to league due to some of the lame rules bapa has. Example- not choosing a league finals date right when the season starts etc etc. Let me know what day works for you to come play some pins at my house. I can get the pad then.

#18 5 years ago

I just sent you a PM about the Pad.

MFP Finals and Annual Championship dates are already set

4 weeks later
#19 5 years ago

Just a quick update - MFP webpage has been updated.

* Scorecard is operational. See how the competition is doing.
* Calendar and associated subscription Link are working (from a mobile device, at least).
* Standardized formatting and more accurate verbiage.
* Complete Rules are still a work in progress.

http://mfpinball.org

7 months later
#20 5 years ago

I figure, as we start our Fall Season tonight, I'd bump up just in case there are locals that aren't already in the know. We currently play at a Private Location in Salinas, CA. Tonight we have 13 games up and playing, with a handful of games which I'll call 'pieces of art'.

It is a 10 week Season with MFP, you've got plenty of chances to make it out. Anybody who is interested, please holler!

Later!

Nighttime photo, properly reflects Fall Season lighting

1 week later
#21 5 years ago

Bump for an awesome group of pinball-playin' guys and gals!

1 year later
#22 4 years ago

I just want to throw it out that tomorrow, Monday 11/7, is Night 5 of the MFP Fall Season. It's a 10 Week Season, and we take the best 5 Nights - it's not too late for you to win the Season! 7pm plunge, and it is ok if you show late, message me if you want and I'll hold the first group for 15 minutes.

We have a great group that shows up to play. We cover the spectrum from never played to lifelong players.

We play at Carbone's in Monterey. Games are always kept up to date on Pinside and on pinballmap.com. We also work very hard to keep them in great condition.

I hope to see any local Pinballers that have not yet come out to play with us. Just visiting? You are absolutely welcome to play with us, too.

See y'all tomorrow.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 55.00
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
3,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Morristown, NJ
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 350.00
Boards
Pinball Basement
$ 239.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Charles Town, WV
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Trade
Sale Pending!
Woodstock, GA
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Machine - For Sale
Burien, WA
$ 1,248.00
$ 254.99
$ 47.00
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 41.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside