(Topic ID: 197845)

Announcing iScored: The Game Room Score Tracking App!

By pezpunk

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 5.47.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 5.47.41 PM (resized).png
    IMG_4921 (resized).jpg
    Stern-Pinball-Card-QR-Code.jpg
    IMG_7270 (resized).jpg
    iscored (resized).PNG
    Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 9.16.57 PM.png
    5f94192c9400a2739aba6b05e5217f598504e795 (resized).jpg
    7eed67ceda0d71afccb131436cdd03a1b039b475 (resized).jpg
    15865403738562106390691495311667 (resized).jpg
    15865400508534113908964395568461 (resized).jpg
    20200202_162036 (resized).jpg
    iscored (resized).JPG
    Screenshot from 2019-07-29 13-37-16 (resized).png
    iScored (resized).JPG
    Beatles Iscored theme (resized).png
    There are 723 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 15.
    #51 6 years ago

I would like to replace a couple dry erase boards I used to use with something else running this app. It would just hang on the wall forever and only show these scores.

Any ideas from the group?

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I would like to replace a couple dry erase boards I used to use with something else running this app. It would just hang on the wall forever and only show these scores.
    Any ideas from the group?

depends on your budget. for about $375 you can have a 24" touchscreen powered by a tiny stick PC. (just make sure the stick PC has at least one USB port - touchscreens require a USB connection for the touch data, in addition to the HDMI connection for video).

At the low end of the spectrum, you can simply use a $50 Amazon Fire 7" tablet.

personally i like the larger screen, but obviously it's your call.

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

if it's any reassurance, the hosting is prepaid for 3 years, and the database is backed up nightly.

All the stand alone app stuff aside
    It's not that I'm concerned about you running out on us... Worse case scenario I'm out $20... If your in this hobby that's nothing to cry about... But I am big on backups. My photos, music and home videos are backed up to probably at least 4-5 places. While I wouldn't rate my pinball scores on the level of irreplaceable family photos I would like my own method of backup. Or maybe I'd just even like to print them out for some reason. And although I'm no programmer I'm pretty sure this isn't a complicated feature.
    This does look like a kick-ass program and I'm sure I'll get it regardless but I hope you at least consider the backup option.... Others have already agreed it's a good idea.

Take care!

#55 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Probably this for me. The wall space I have right now where these two (approximate) 7" dry erases, a small tablet like this would probably be the ticket. Thanks for the ideas.

Man a cheapo 14" tablet would be the bees knees.

#56 6 years ago

Just an fyi - the email you send after registration directs you to iscored.com

#57 6 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Just an fyi - the email you send after registration directs you to iscored.com

ahaha seriously? okay i guess i should fix that. TLD envy.

edit: okay, fixed. thanks for the heads up!

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

depends on your budget. for about $375 you can have a 24" touchscreen powered by a tiny stick PC. (just make sure the stick PC has at least one USB port - touchscreens require a USB connection for the touch data, in addition to the HDMI connection for video).
    personally i like the larger screen, but obviously it's your call.

Can't you just route the touchscreen tablet to a bigger non-touch screen? Those screens are cheap.

#60 6 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Can't you just route the touchscreen tablet to a bigger non-touch screen? Those screens are cheap.

sure!

#61 6 years ago

Now if only I had some friends to play pinball with.

#62 6 years ago

although neither i nor my beta testers have tried that tablet, judging by the specs, it should work fine.

Quoted from V_piscopo:

Now if only I had some friends to play pinball with.

awww!

one of the reasons i made this was to help turn non-pinball friends into pinball friends. There is practically no chance any non-pinhead is going to get on the leaderboards of any of my games, so they kinda have nothing to work for or compare themselves to. Giving them a way to record their own scores and compare them with each other gives them more of a sense of accomplishment and progression, and allows them to compete with each other. the first time i tried out my app, a couple non-pinball friends stayed till 2am trying to beat each others' best scores, and asking me for tips. for the first time they actually were interested when i tried to tell them how to lock balls or start video mode and so on.

#63 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

although neither i nor my beta testers have tried that tablet, judging by the specs, it should work fine.

Might be worth the risk due to the price and the simplistic need I will have for it.

#64 6 years ago

I'd like to use this but I already have my encrypted high scores recorded on microfiche inside my safe.

#65 6 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

I'd like to use this but I already have my encrypted high scores recorded on microfiche inside my safe.

they're that bad, huh?

#66 6 years ago

I have a touchscreen jukebox in the game room. I've been thinking about upgrading the screen. It's an old ELO 17". It works but I'd like it to be larger. It's just running a PC in a closet. This might push me to get something more current and larger. Any suggestions on a screen? Is there a demo or light version to see how it looks on either my tablet or the small touchscreen?

#67 6 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

I have a touchscreen jukebox in the game room. I've been thinking about upgrading the screen. It's an old ELO 17". It works but I'd like it to be larger. It's just running a PC in a closet. This might push me to get something more current and larger. Any suggestions on a screen? Is there a demo or light version to see how it looks on either my tablet or the small touchscreen?

A demo site is on the list of things i really want to do, but haven't had time yet. Thanks for the reminder!

#68 6 years ago

Man, this is addictive. I love it.GOAT (resized).jpgGOAT (resized).jpg

#69 6 years ago

My first pass. Some of my games don't have art (notice 2001 above), and I have tweaking to do, and I might like the black background.

SES.pngSES.png

#70 6 years ago

I guess I just needed to look at the post above me, in which Toasterdog used the Pinside graphics for the games.

#71 6 years ago

This looks great and I plan to download. Question and/or suggestion: More characters so people can put in a full name. I know that on regular machines we only use initials, but I love the idea of getting more of my casual player friends to play more often and think it would be more fun for them to see full names - it makes it easier to identify different people at a bigger party.

Other suggestion along the lines of the filtering - a way to filter not just by pinheads vs casual but also the ability to have scores for just a particular night so you can see the scores just for a particular party.

Great work and congratulations!

#72 6 years ago
    Quoted from cruzinpin:

This looks great and I plan to download. Question and/or suggestion: More characters so people can put in a full name. I know that on regular machines we only use initials, but I love the idea of getting more of my casual player friends to play more often and think it would be more fun for them to see full names - it makes it easier to identify different people at a bigger party.
    Other suggestion along the lines of the filtering - a way to filter not just by pinheads vs casual but also the ability to have scores for just a particular night so you can see the scores just for a particular party.
    Great work and congratulations!

Thanks for your suggestions! Those are all features I hope to work in to this thing eventually -- they're all on my list already. Maybe at some point down the road i'll make a poll to help prioritize what new features i work on first.

#73 6 years ago

What is the best size for the top banner picture and the background banner for a game?

#74 6 years ago
    Quoted from PeterG:

What is the best size for the top banner picture and the background banner for a game?

The banner at the very top of the page is 100px tall by however wide your screen is. it's applied as a background image, so it does not get resized, and anything that doesn't fit is cropped.

As for the game backgrounds: The game columns are a minimum of 265px wide (they grow wider if you don't have enough games to fill up the screen). The same background image is used for both the game background and the score entry popup, which is always about 430px wide, so you probably want to make sure it looks good in both situations.

The game title images are the only graphics that are actually resized. They are resized to be 250px wide, and by default the space for that image is 184px tall, but the latter is configurable by the user. For example, if you are using game logos instead of backglasses, you may want the height to only be about 92px tall, in order to claim back a little bit more vertical space. example of what i mean:

hergs_fire7_setup (resized).pnghergs_fire7_setup (resized).png

#75 6 years ago

hey uh .. did any of you register with the user name "Mad_Pole" or know someone who might have? the email address they registered with keeps bouncing back as return to sender. it shouldn't effect their ability to log in, but without a valid email address, they will be unable to reset their password if they ever need to. If that's you PM me with your real email please.

#76 6 years ago

Pretty neat. I may have just found a use for my old iPad

It's nice that the user can customize the height of the score entries but one thing I'm wondering about, and I don't see in the YouTube video, is whether or not you can scroll vertically using touch gestures (when you have a lot of score entries on a particular game).

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

Pretty neat. I may have just found a use for my old iPad

It works on the iPad 2 or newer -- unfortunately, first-generation iPads do not work, because Apple stopped supporting them back in May of 2012. The browser is just too old to work with iScored.

Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

It's nice that the user can customize the height of the score entries but one thing I'm wondering about, and I don't see in the YouTube video, is whether or not you can scroll vertically using touch gestures (when you have a lot of score entries on a particular game).

yep!

#78 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

they're that bad, huh?

Fucking savage

#79 6 years ago

Anyone have a screenshot of what this looks like on an iPad? Specifically an iPad Air 2. Just curious as to how many games fit on that screen.

#80 6 years ago

Can you pick up a game score card and move it or drop it in another spot on the list if you have a lot of games? (if that makes sense? I think it does! )

So if something is on the extreme right, and I want to move it to the left, can it be drag and dropped? Or vice versa?

#81 6 years ago
    Quoted from toeskneez:

Can you pick up a game score card and move it or drop it in another spot on the list if you have a lot of games? (if that makes sense? I think it does! )
    So if something is on the extreme right, and I want to move it to the left, can it be drag and dropped? Or vice versa?

There is a page in the settings where you can reorder the games.

#82 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bugsy:

Anyone have a screenshot of what this looks like on an iPad? Specifically an iPad Air 2. Just curious as to how many games fit on that screen.

I can almost fit my 10 games, if i rescale to 0,4 in the option

IMG_0080 (resized).PNGIMG_0080 (resized).PNG

#83 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

hey uh .. did any of you register with the user name "Mad_Pole" or know someone who might have? the email address they registered with keeps bouncing back as return to sender. it shouldn't effect their ability to log in, but without a valid email address, they will be unable to reset their password if they ever need to. If that's you PM me with your real email please.

He's on pinside. Madpole.

#84 6 years ago

This is a great app, just started this morning and already looking great!!!

Gameroom (resized).jpgGameroom (resized).jpg

#85 6 years ago

I want to use this with an old iPad2, but I hate the tabs and navigation bar across the top of the screen from Safari. I found a free app called "Full Screen Web Brower App" that seems to work pretty good and really cleans up the look.

#86 6 years ago

Awesome to see it launched, I'll be signing up and setting up this weekend unless life gets in the way.

#87 6 years ago
    Quoted from Timmo:

I want to use this with an old iPad2, but I hate the tabs and navigation bar across the top of the screen from Safari. I found a free app called "Full Screen Web Brower App" that seems to work pretty good and really cleans up the look.

Yeah unfortunately, iPads consider themselves in "fullscreen mode" even when the url bar is still visible. Apple's design choice was to make the URL bar only disappear when the whole page scrolls downwards, which my app doesn't do. I didn't know there was a third-party solution. Maybe I should document that somewhere in the FAQ.

#88 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

He's on pinside. Madpole.

paging MadPole ...

#89 6 years ago

I can't wait to download this and start playing with it.

#90 6 years ago
    Quoted from futurepinhead:

I can't wait to download this and start playing with it.

there is nothing to download

#91 6 years ago
    Quoted from xbmanx:

there is nothing to download

ehhhh, technically, sure there is.

#92 6 years ago

Purchased! Going to get this up and running at the Richmond Pinball Collective.

FYI, there is a way to set up a Google Chrome shortcut in Windows to open to a specific link in fullscreen mode. It's called kiosk mode.

#93 6 years ago

Man. If only the 42" tv out of the vpin I dismantled was a touch screen. heh!

#94 6 years ago

Hi Pez, thanks for making this ! Can I make some observations here ? Only very small things but if it can get better why not I guess.

First I added some games and then went in and added a picture to them, but when choosing another game, the filename of the previous game is still shown. Also when trying to change the background color I did have to change the color first in the left dialog (with all the shades of the color) before I could chooses another base color. This happened every time. So not a biggie because everything works fine if you know what to do.

#95 6 years ago
    Quoted from ronaldvg:

Hi Pez, thanks for making this ! Can I make some observations here ? Only very small things but if it can get better why not I guess.

unless it's a security issue, by all means, bring it up on here. I'm happy to hear suggestions and feedback!

Quoted from ronaldvg:

First I added some games and then went in and added a picture to them, but when choosing another game, the filename of the previous game is still shown. Also when trying to change the background color I did have to change the color first in the left dialog (with all the shades of the color) before I could chooses another base color. This happened every time. So not a biggie because everything works fine if you know what to do.

YEP. both are valid (and known) cosmetic bugs. i consider them pretty minor, but i'll get to them at some point. The color picker is the bigger issue of the two - it doesn't work particularly well. i'm using a free library that has turned out to be pretty buggy. i'll swap it out for something different eventually. for now i think most people can generally get it to do what they need, even if it's a little annoying.

glad you're having fun with it!

#96 6 years ago

I just snagged a 22" refurb for $160. There is also what appears to be a returned 24" for $234.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B009F1IKFC/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01KEEMS1U/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc

Looking forward to setting this up and having a more usable screen for my jukebox.

#97 6 years ago

Is it posssible to have duplicate names for scores ? For example someone has gc and 4th score ?

#98 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

glad you're having fun with it!

Sure is nice. I plan to have it on a beamer in the gameroom. Nice and big. And then edit the scores on a tablet that is outputting to the beamer.

#99 6 years ago
    Quoted from KLR2014:

Is it posssible to have duplicate names for scores ? For example someone has gc and 4th score ?

the only way to do this would be to use different initials. you can use numbers, so you could do like "KR1", "KR2", "KR3" and so on if you really want to capture multiple high scores for one person. But my intent with this app was to focus on individuals' best, not so much best ever on the game.

Most of these games already track the overall top 5 scores or so, and at least at my place, they all look this:
    1. PEZ - [some score a novice will never achieve]
    2. E_G - [some score a novice will never achieve]
    3. PEZ - [some score a novice will never achieve]
    4. PEZ - [some score a novice will never achieve]
    5. PEZ - [some score a novice will never achieve]

One or two players dominating the lists to the point where nobody else ever felt like they achieved anything was actually one of the problems i was trying to address with my app.

#100 6 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

I just snagged a 22" refurb for $160. There is also what appears to be a returned 24" for $234.
    Looking forward to setting this up and having a more usable screen for my jukebox.

i think that 24" monitor is the one i'm using. it's pretty nice.

There are 723 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announcing-iscored-the-game-room-score-tracking-app/page/2?hl=toeskneez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.