(Topic ID: 186405)

Announcing an updated Top 100!

By robin

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2992 (resized).PNG
    grouped_games (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dooskie.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#119 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

So many people are obsessed with getting rid of "old votes" so just wanted to know if they wanted to speed it up.

I'm curious about the necessity of getting rid of 'old votes.' Now without anybody getting all bent, let's just say that Pat Lawlor or Steve Ritchie died. And let's say they had each gone through and rated 300 games on Pinside over the years. Dead or alive, their opinion about a game matters. By eliminating votes from Pinsiders that are no longer active, for whatever reason, you could be eliminating votes from very good pinball people.

I appreciate the changes, and I appreciate all of the hard work and all of the thought that went into this. Please do not take my comment as a criticism, because it's not meant to be critical. It's just a thought.

#141 7 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Your analogy is flawed as music doesn't necessarily improve with technology. However, if the entire recording is taken into account and recording quality is one of the criteria, (much how our pinside rankings work) then a recording in the 50s cannot possibly score a 10 in recording quality for example when compared to a more modern recording. Someone that ranked the old recording quality at a value of 10 should be around to update his ranking or if not that ranking should fall away.

When I rate a machine, and I'm rating sound, etc., I'm rating it based on my knowledge of the technology that was available when that machine was built. I'm not comparing it to today's technology. So my overall rating of an '8' is based on machines from that era, not comparing them to machines that are made now. And some of what's being made now does not compare favorably quality-wise with machines that were built 30+ years ago (proof? scroll through a few pages of Pinside and all of the complaints about Stern machines).

#146 7 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

So you think it's perfectly fair and possible for a machine on the 50s that only had chimes to have a 10/10 sound score an the fact that's equal to say woz with stereo and a sub very high bitrate sounds is just fine? I don't think that the rating instructions, which do exist, say anywhere to take into account the technology of the time. That's just irrelevant when looking at the overall current ranking of a game. We are rating the game as it stands, not the design skill of a game. If a game has a 10/10 audio score it should be the best audio in a pinball machine - a 10/10.

That's just the way I do it. Take The Black Knight, for example. I think I gave it a very high rating for sound. When the machine was built, it was innovative, and there wasn't anything (or much) like it. To give it a low rating for sound wouldn't be right, because in that era, it was the best there was.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dooskie.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announcing-an-updated-top-100?tu=dooskie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.