(Topic ID: 186405)

Announcing an updated Top 100!

By robin

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2992 (resized).PNG
    grouped_games (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider baiter.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#121 6 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I no longer include 'expired ratings': ratings made by people who haven't logged on for a year (as well as self-deactivated members).

Can you explain the reason behind this? Unless your goal is to reflect only the rankings of currently active Pinside users, a rating made in 2015 should still have as much value in 2017 as it did in 2015, regardless of account status.

#134 6 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

First of all, it cleans out all the dummy accounts people made back in the distant past just to manipulate rankings (you'd be surprised how many accounts were created one day, ranked 15 or so games immediately, then were lightly used for a month and then vanished).
    Also, back in 2009 (if that's when you were rating and then left the site forever) you never got to see modern games. No WOZ, no Tron, no Dialed In! or whatever. You just saw the games up till 2009. If you stayed on Pinside since 2009 and then just didn't rate anything so be it, but if you vanished in 2009 from the site your rankings should not stay as it is not reflective of the current population in 2017 that has a superior ability to rate games of today to games before 2010 (to a person who has vanished).

Eliminating ratings from non-active users sounds like a possibly misguided reaction to a real problem. It's easy enough to weed out those one day account ratings without affecting all old ratings of former users. After eliminating those, I'd be fine with a formula which reduces weighting of apparently stale ratings (based on date posted, account status/activity). I'd also add that re-editing older ratings should increase weighting, as it would reflect a more contemporary opinion. All this would effectively age out ancient ratings from closed accounts, and keep ratings fresh. It sounds like Robin has some of that already in place.

Thinking about it further, I don't believe my opinion nor my ratings change much over the years no matter what the new games look like. You yourself point out that a 5 year old pre-LCD game is your favorite (I actually agree with that specific opinion) regardless of what has come after it. A couple of my favorite games are 80's solid state, alphanumeric games without modes... years haven't diminished their ratings relative to anything released in the 30+ years since.

#143 6 years ago
    Quoted from Circus_Animal:

What if my opinion hasn't changed? Does adding "in 2017 this game still sucks" to my South Park review really help anyone?

If the effort here is to reduce weight of a rating based on age, then yes it would help. However, as I said before, I'm not convinced that opinions actually change much over time as new games come out... neither for pinball nor for music, as used in another analogy. I suppose the only real question is whether ratings from inactive users provide value to the top 100.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider baiter.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announcing-an-updated-top-100?tu=baiter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.